Create Account

S52 PT #4 - The Anthology Vol. III (oh no my numbers are off now)

When I was in St. Louis, I felt that I was on top of the world and there was nothing I could do wrong. Now I am in my 5th season? in the SHL and boy was I wrong. The jump from the SMJHL to the SHL is a fun and crazy experience. Being able to unbank all the banked tpe I had was amazing; but at the same time I was joining the shl that consists of hundreds of 1000 tpe players and I was expecting instant results from my player but that just wasn't the case until years 3 and beyond. It is rather hard to fully understand that even if you were a top player in the juniors it will take a lot of time to earn playing time and respect in the SHL no matter how many tpe you have earned. If I could go back in time I would probably stay in st louis for a season or two more to get more tpe earned and be able to be more useful in my rookie shl season.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Quote:This week, in the third volume, write about your leap to the SMJHL and your experience in that league. If you're still in the SMJHL, talk about your player's initial experiences of taking the leap to the league; if you're in the SHL now, you can write more generally about your experience in the J (e.g., the leap, as a whole, a specific memory that played in important role in your player's development). (min. 150 words)

Guy Zheng could remember his SMJHL combine as if it were yesterday. He remembers absolutely shredding his competition on the grip strength task, as well as making a whole bunch of exercise bikes fall over and break another prospect's leg (totally by accident and through no fault of his own). When big daddy Zoone came up to him after the incident and asked about whether he was interested in the Knights, Zheng was thrilled that his competitive spirit was accepted and encouraged by an SMJHL GM. This is when he knew that the Kelowna Knights was the team for him. Over the course of the next two seasons, Zheng would become one of the best defensemen on the team, and along with his faithful pair mate David Vent, would lead his team to a game 7 of the four star cup finals. Zheng had almost made it -- he was sure that another season of grinding with the Knights would reward him with the cup he's wanted for so long. Alas, it was not meant to be as Ace promptly yeeted Zheng away from the SMJHL.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

Not gonna lie, I miss playing in the SMJHL. The entire experience was so detrimental to my development as a player right now. Not too long ago, I just figured out I wanted to be a defenseman, and there was so much in my game that I still needed to work on if I ever wanted to play in the SHL. It only made sense that I was a 4th round pick in the S47 draft and to be honest, it was a blessing in disguise. Not only did I have a chip on my shoulder and want to play at a very high level, but the environment I walked into was great. Players like Corey Kennedy, Mathias Seger, and Jerry Mander (who was also originally a forward) not only welcomed me with open arms, but they pushed me so hard in practices and wanted to see me grow. I only got third-pairing minutes in my rookie season, but I wanted to make that third pairing role my own, being a mini version of the vets I looked up to. I've never learned how to shoot like them and I truthfully never will, but my skating got smoother, my decision-making with the puck improved, and the game slowed down quite a bit, and all thanks to them. I wish all four of us played together for longer, but Segi got his big call-up to Minny after we won the cup in S47, and Corey left to Chicago after S48. But alas, a new sheriff comes to town, and his name is Ursin Zimmerman. With everything that was given to me, it was only right I help him grow too. I knew when I first played with him, he was gonna be something. Ursin had that natural flair as a puck-moving d-man. He came in with a great skating ability and it helped open up passing lanes. He just put too much sauce on his passes every now and then, but I'd be a bit jumpy too if I had his talent. Being a more matured player, it was cool trying to help him play with more composure, but with the same dynamic playstyle. The Tedla-Zimmerman era didn't last long in Anaheim, but I think if you look at all he's done for the Outlaws, it's safe to say my impact was huge, right? (you better credit me when you win the Scott Stevens trophy @UrsinZ).

[Image: noahshl.gif]

Switzerland Outlaws Chiefs  Player Page  Updates  Chiefs Outlaws Switzerland

For Markus, the road to the SHL was one less traveled by players generally. Instead of being drafted in the SMJHL as an 18-year-old, he was ignored at the draft. Not disheartened by this setback, he worked with his agent to sign as a free agent, which he did with the Lethbridge Lions. Working hard to show he could earn his place in the league, he took the league by storm in his rookie season, even earning a sport as the starter by the end of the season and for the playoffs. Not only that, he was drafted in the second round in the SHL, proving that he had opened some eyes in the big leagues. For two years after that, he was the uncontested starer for the Lions, guiding them to good regular seasons, but unfortunately, never to the ultimate prize. He was called up by the Chiefs this season, and he had a surprisingly good campaign for a rookie goalie behind a team in the middle of a rebuild. He can only hope that the future is bright in Minnesota, not only for his team, but for himself.

(192 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

EVO:
(A single tear wells in his eyes before he wipes it away)

You know, even though I never played with Tankovic and Abioye in Detroit, I would never my invaluable time in Colorado for it. Knutesson, Novak, Watt, Vanderberg, O'Koivu, Peralta, Tokolosh, Smonk, Thorstrom, Ja'ag, Crudelli, Nugget, Kane, Wolfe, Bohne Jr, Kuster, Siecker, HLO, FNLN, Atraides, Lundqvist Jr, Sodderberg, Finn-Rhys, Spector, Frost, Terrorov, Hamilton and the rest of the Dino gang. They all mean too much for me to ever let go. Even though I had an awful rookie season transitioning from UK ice to SMJHL ice and I was never around by then, they stuck with me, let me know that no matter what, they'll have my back. Pretty much the reamining 3 J seasons was me repaying the faith (with probably too much interest as well, XD). I like to think that I have great connections to some of the S50 squad since I keep connections with them. No matter what, I like to look back at my time in the J wish so, so much pride.

[Image: ProjectSaint.gif]
Sig Credit: Flappy (EVO) and Skolpaddor (RESO)

EMEKA VALENTINE-OKOLI/PLAYER

First SMJHL Goal: Colorado Raptors, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Mikelis Ozoliņš 4, Loki Odinsson 3) at 3:12, 2nd Period (GWG) / SMJHL S47 Game 47 Day 12: Colorado Raptors vs Detroit Falcons
First SHL Goal: Texas Renegades, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Josef Kubinec 5, Ricky Spanish 4) at 16:23, 2nd Period / SHL S51 Game 71 Day 16: Edmonton Blizzard vs Texas Renegades

Eternal RaptorsRaptors Old, onwards we roll Rage

And Let's Retire at the Pinnacle