Create Account

What if: the SHL was in Europe (3/16 - Северные Звезды прибыли)
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2020, 03:16 PM by Thunfish.)

The first time I posted a thing on this series of mine, I was still playing for San Francisco, so it felt rather accurate of me to talk about my then team and how they'd look in Europe. Of course, after that, I dropped a post on West Kendall, which ended up being my new team via trading. Anyhow, with my account a bit light on money, I figured it'd be a good moment to do a new chapter. So, once again...

We've recently finished the fiftieth season of the SHL. Now, I'm not all that versed on these kinds of leagues but having fifty seasons is a pretty neat record. I can't think of many other events like these that are still around after lord knows how long. So I was thinking about doing some sort of media piece regarding this sort of thing, making some jerseys and whatnot. But then, I realized that this needed to at least stand out somewhat. And well, considering some of our users are from Europe, why not imagine how each team would be if we were a league based in the Old World?

So, here are some self-guidelines, to at least give some sort of idea towards what I'm doing here.

Quote:- I'm allowing myself to not make logos by hand, so if it looks like whatever logo I'm using is already a thing somewhere else, that's probably why.
- I'm not using any of the current team names for the series but they should at least have some sort of link towards the actual SHL team.
- I am accepting requests, as long as they're tasteful.

So, before I start, I'd actually like to quote myself from my previous post on the West Kendall Platoon/Thun Lakers:

Quote:When I first came up with this series, I obviously had a couple of teams that were certainly more complex to come up with identities for. Teams like New England, Minnesota, Los Angeles and Toronto are teams that I already have some ideas for, mostly off-the-wall stuff but still, they're kind of easy to come up with.

As you can see, I said something there that is actually correct. One of the teams that I already had a fair group of ideas on where I was going with them was certainly Toronto, home of the North Stars. Now, Toronto really doesn't need that much of an introduction, to be honest: like some Anglophone countries, it's the largest city of the country yet not the nation's capital (a similar case with the likes of the United States of America and Australia), it's nicknamed the Queen City which I'm assuming that: a) is only used when someone wants to be coy about the city and b) shared with a massive fuckton of places (from Vancouver to Regina, to Seattle, to Buffalo, to Springfield (MI), to New Rochelle (NY) and finally, to a place called Cebu City in the Phillippines). Notable people born in Toronto would include a myriad of hockey players, about four of the world's finest wrestlers (and Renee Young too), Dave Foley and the guy who made Ed, Edd n' Eddy... Oh, and one of Canada's finest musicians, Snow (can't forget about him). Toronto also houses a soccer team that once had a goalkeeper that played for the Brazilian national team, which I promptly apologize for because he was the drizzling shits. Wikipedia also says that the city has a "friendship city" relation with Rio de Janeiro. I hope for the good of whoever lives there that it's as different as humanly possible from my neck of the woods.

IRL, Toronto is also the home of one of the Original Six in the form of the Toronto Maple Leafs which have yet to win another Stanley Cup ever since 1967. Not exactly a problem the North Stars share with although they too haven't won a Challenge Cup in ages: their last title win was in season 35, which is at least a smaller drought than the Leafs... and technically also a smaller drought than the Pride, the first team I covered here.

So, really, when you have a team in Toronto, you kind of realize that you need to use somewhere that also doesn't need much introduction. I don't think it's a complete match, but you have to admit: being compared to the frozen land where monsters fall (Napoleon, Hitler... and technically Stalin too as that's where he died) isn't too shabby.

So, introducing the third team of my series: the Euroverse Toronto North Stars, the Moscow North Stars!

HOME
[Image: Moscow_North_Stars_Home.png]

I imagine that the biggest point of contention is that I didn't rename them to the Moscow Red Stars or something, so here's my reason: I felt it was rather cheap to do, to be honest. I'll admit that it was rough to distance the identity from a possible nod but the only other idea I came up with was Horsemen. I imagine that you can see the big problem with naming a team "the Horsemen" and if you don't, pretend you're in the fourth-grade again for a second. I guess it does, technically, fit the style of things over there, to be fair: there are still links to the old regime (the URSS) in things such as sports clubs but the connection has died down. The logo itself borrows something from CSKA Moscow (the shield border, in particular) while the Kremlin features there as well.

AWAY
[Image: Moscow_North_Stars_Away.png]

This jersey probably is the one I debated with myself the most while making it. You see, Toronto actually has a pretty kick-ass Away jersey with maple leaves on the arms that I honestly believe to be a pretty clever design while also making sure that you can have both a traditionalist look and a modern look in the same set. I considered strongly doing something similar but I failed to figure out something I could really use for a Russian equivalent: maybe a star of six points to represent an Aurora or maybe a satellite or a comet (making a nod to Russia's story with space travel), but in the end, I decided to just do a reversal of what they have for home. I apologize beforehand for it.

ALTERNATE (HERITAGE HOCKEY DAY)
[Image: Moscow_North_Stars_Alternate.png]

So, I decided to make a nod to another hockey team while their logo draws a bit from CSKA. Odd, but I decided against doing a CSKA-themed jersey since it'd be literally red and blue. So here's HC Dynamo Moscow. Dynamo is one of Russia's most successful teams although they went through some hard times recently: lack of funds, embezzlement, a merger with another team... they also had Ovechkin for a while (which matches with one of the two times Dynamo won the Gagarin Cup).

So, what did you guys think? Feel free to make any comments, positive or negative. Criticism is acceptable too. Thanks for your time, once again!

Quote:Words - 1300

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

[Image: baP83nZ.png]
Are you sure two teams should move to same city?

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020, 10:13 PM by TheHockeyist.)

@Thunfish Russian learner here. The translation for Северные Звёзды is correct, though I wouldn't use the verb прибыть (conjugated as прибыли). It's an uncommon term in my experience. I'd say that the team (команда) "приехала" if arriving by vehicle (-ла as the team is a feminine noun). Grammatically, I'd say Приехала хоккейная команда «Северные Звёзды».

I'm not a native, but I'm fairly sure that this is the correct way to word this in Russian.

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)

02-14-2020, 03:39 PMpuolivalmiste Wrote: [Image: baP83nZ.png]
Eh. Worked for the Maple Leafs and the Marlies, I think? And the Oilers and the Oil Kings too.

02-15-2020, 10:12 PMTheHockeyist Wrote: @Thunfish Russian learner here. The translation for Северные Звёзды is correct, though I wouldn't use the verb прибыть (conjugated as прибыли). It's an uncommon term in my experience. I'd say that the team (команда) "приехала" if arriving by vehicle (-ла as the team is a feminine noun). Grammatically, I'd say Приехала хоккейная команда «Северные Звёзды».

I'm not a native, but I'm fairly sure that this is the correct way to word this in Russian.

I wouldn't be surprised if I got it wrong. Totally threw it on Google Translate.
That said, that's pretty neat, didn't know we had someone here learning Russian. How's your experience so far with it?

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

@Thunfish I know we have a native Russian (anonymous - I know who he is) and I've been learning Russian for six and a half years so far. As far as I know, we're the only ones on the entire site.

Let's just say that Russian always likes to throw you something new or remind you of something minor that you forgot when constructing a sentence. You think it's grammatically correct, but there are these little subtleties that throw the entire translation off. I have to be careful to take everything into account. Russian's a rather grammar-heavy language, much like Latin.

I actually like this idea (thanks for using my player on the jersey too Wink). The whole concept is pretty interesting, but I have one aspect I don't really like and that's the font you used on the name & numbers. Sure, it might have that whole 'Russian' look, but I believe it's rather hard to read, both on name and on the numbers. Unfortunately I don't have a better suggestion, but I would use a more traditional jersey font here.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

02-16-2020, 12:07 AMThunfish Wrote:
02-14-2020, 03:39 PMpuolivalmiste Wrote: [Image: baP83nZ.png]
Eh. Worked for the Maple Leafs and the Marlies, I think? And the Oilers and the Oil Kings too.

Just felt like throwing that logo here. I think there is 3 or 4 KHL teams playing at Moscow so it should be able to support more than one team.

Great work with these articles.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

@Thunfish I double-checked with a native speaker - my correction was correct!