Create Account

Catching up with FR Finn-Rhys
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020, 04:02 PM by FinnRhys.)

Code:
words = 1,601
With only one game remaining in the season for the Edmonton Blizzard, we here at the Blizzard Connection thought it would be a good time to catch up with one of the rising stars of the team, second-year defenseman FR Finn-Rhys. Finn-Rhys, who played on the third line last season as a rookie, made a splash during offseason workouts and played himself up to the second line pairing where he plays with future Hall of Famer Tor Tuck (@ErM) , who himself has taken the young defenseman under his tutelage. This season, under the mentorship of Tuck, Karlstrabe Scholz (@karlssens) and Brady McIntyre (@caltroit_red_flames), the young Finn-Rhys has continued to significantly improve his play and become more impactful, both on the offensive and defensive zones on the ice. Indeed, Finn-Rhys’ ice time has increased by six minutes per game since last season and with that increase he has seen significantly more power play and penalty kill time. We caught up with FR in his apartment in downtown Edmonton and grabbed a few beers with him at a local brew pub as we talked about this season in retrospect.

I: Thanks for doing this FR, it is always great to get a chance to talk to you off the ice.

FR: No worries at all. I enjoy having a good conversation and just hanging out. I will admit, I am a totally different person on the ice than I am off the ice.

I: So FR, what do you think of your development this season compared to your rookie year?

FR: Oh man, this season has been awesome as far as developing. Last season I got to learn a lot playing on the third line and watching the top four defensemen get a lot of minutes but this season has been great. I really worked hard last season to watch and focus and evaluate what was going on on the ice and mentally put myself in those positions even though I was on the bench. I really focused on staying engaged and getting mental reps in and I think it helped to be watching three of the best defensemen in the league in Karl, Brady and Tor get after it.

I: Did Karl, Brady and Tor take you under their wings last season and mentor you at all or did you learn on the fly?

FR: Those guys were awesome last season. I know that there are some teams that treat the rookies differently and I can kind of understand that because we, as rookies, have not proven ourselves, but that really was not the case here at all. All three of them took time out of regular practice to stay after and work with me on improving my defensive technique and seeing the play developing better. It really was great to have them guide me when it comes to preparation and how to mentally prepare for games.

I: You have mentioned mental preparation twice now, preparation or reps I mean, and that is a relatively unheralded part of the game. Do you think mental preparation has been the key reason for your improvement this season?

FR: Absolutely! It certainly does not hurt that I am also consistently sharing the ice with three future Hall of Fame defensemen. Their play certainly elevates mine. But I also give a lot of credit to my mental preparation. Again, they taught me how to do that. Studying film, mentally putting yourself in difficult situations and doing a “mental playback” as I would call it on how the play developed and how you react and counter react to things on the ice. I think it helps a lot because it decreases the amount of “new” situations you experience. You do not want the first time you see something new to be on the ice during a game. You would rather see it and experience and develop that muscle memory during practice or mentally so you know how to respond.

I: I think the mental preparation part that you are talking about is an interesting aspect that we do not often discuss.

FR: It is definitely an unheralded aspect of the game that is often overlooked. You can be one of the most physically gifted players in the game but if you can’t think through or “see” the play before it unfolds then your physical prowess is almost useless. You will be out of position and will not have any impact on the play, or you will have a negative one.

I: So, moving on from the mental aspect, which I guess actually this does kind of pertain to, has play slowed down for you this season compared to last?

FR: Definitely. You are drinking from multiple fire hoses as a rookie. Trying to understand and implement the defensive philosophy while doing the same with the principles that underlie the offense, it can be overwhelming at times but you get through it with the help of your teammates and the more reps you get. As a rookie you are really just trying to limit the mistakes you make while you are getting those reps or minutes in.

I: So last season you did fairly well considering you were a rookie playing with the third pairing. You had 2 goals and 13 assists with a +9 rating while averaging 15 minutes of ice time. Certainly those are pretty decent stats for a rookie. What stat are you most proud of?

FR: Not to be a smart ass but, I mean, stats are just numbers. I think there are a lot of things that there really is no statistical basis for, like being in the right position or making the correct mental decision. Those are things you either do or don’t do, it is binary and there really is not a good way to measure your positive or negative impact. Are you forcing me to pick a statistic?

I: Yeah, I am forcing you to pick one. Any one that you want, but you have to pick one.

FR: Okay…. Well, let me answer while we walk to grab a few brews. Woodwork of 100th Street work?

I: Sounds great! So, favorite stat.

FR: <to the waitress> Can I get two Amber Alaskan Brewing Company’s? <to the reporter> Honestly, if I had to pick a number, a statistic, that I value the most it would be blocked shots. I know it is probably not the sexiest stat or the one people look to for finding value but that would be the statistic I am most proud of. To me it shows a lot of value because it shows guys that are committed and willing to sacrifice their bodies for the team. The other thing it shows is an intelligence level for being in the right position to even make a block. Certainly you would prefer to break up the play and keep anyone from shooting the puck but when you cannot do that you really have to make a good read to be in position to try and block the puck.

I: So you have had, what, 61 blocks this season? Any of them stick out as being one to remember?

FR: I mean, you do not really think about it or really realize what you are doing when you go for a block. You are really just reacting on instinct. I guess there is one block that I remember, mostly for being terrified of taking the shot and the puck hitting me in an unpadded spot. There are a few players, in particular, that you keep an eye out for and that one block I remember was diving head first, which clearly is not the preferred or recommended way to try and block a shot, as Mike Izzy was winding up. Izzy is clearly one of the greatest to ever play and the guy, even for being older, has an absolutely cannon of a shot. I won’t lie, I did hesitate just a second as my life passed before my eyes as he uncorked a shot that, thankfully, hit my shoulder pads. It was a split second play but it definitely stuck with me.

I: So with the season almost done, is there anything you are looking forward to?

FR: Well the regular season is almost over but we still have the post season to look forward to. It really was an amazing but bittersweet experience to make the playoffs and come so close to winning a Cup in my first full season with the team. We are looking pretty good as far as making it into the playoffs this season. We really do have a great group of guys here and I really think there is the potential for going deep into the playoffs. I would love another chance to play in the Cup and hopefully bring it back to Edmonton again.

I:  I am starting to get a pretty good buzz going. Thanks for doing this FR.

FR: Me too man. Probably one more beer and then it is time to head back. And no worries at all. I enjoy sitting down and having a brew and talking hockey. I guess I should probably go off the record now since I do not know if I can trust myself to make good decisions.

And with that, the interview came to a close. While FR was officially off the record and I plan on honoring that, he did go on the record one last time (reader discretion is advised) as he ended the night with a goodbye and a “FUCK HAMILTON!”

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

Blizzard

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

loog out, this kid is gunna be something special Blizzard

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride