Create Account

S52 SMJHL PT 6 - MVPs

While Blake Feaux only played 36 games this season for the Halifax Raiders, I find it difficult to choose any defensive pair that didn't include him as the best defensive pair in the SMJHL. While Feaux lined up alongside a few different players over the course of the season, those players are irrelevant. Feaux managed a plus minus of +10 over his 36 games with 81 hits and 36 shots blocked. That's a huge amount of defensive pressure from a rookie who joined the team late. He managed to lead the team in plus minus, come 3rd in hits (with only 6 less than the top guy in 14 less games), and 6th in shots blocked (with only 12 less than the 2nd place guy in 14 less games). Blake Feaux's presence on the ice was immediately felt from the moment he first touched the ice, and next season he is looking to improve upon his rookie performance.

Unlike a lot of rookies in the SMJHL, I had the benefit of very stable roster swaps, only pairing with two defensemen for the entire season. For the first half of the season, I was paired with Jakob Hamr on the second pairing. Hamr is a very physical presence and gritty player, with the second highest hits (76) and blocked shots (51) on our team this year. He was the perfect partner to be paired with for my first games, as he was very defensively responsible and could cover for any mistakes I made, and I learned a lot of good defensive habits from him. The surprising thing with Hamr, is that he plays such a physical and sound defensive game, that people often overlook his hands. He lacked a scoring touch, only getting 1 goal on the year, but he loved to find the open man and rack up assists. And with an 80 passing and 82 puck handling, he had some of the best hands in the league to do so, and finished the season with 22 assists. The second half of the year, I got moved up to play the first line pairing with Disisde Dayudie. This is where I picked up an offensive side to my game, following his lead as he was a ppg defenseman for most of the year, and finished the year at 12-27-39. Defense aside, he was one of the best skaters  (76), puck handlers (81), and scorers (80) on our team. My game followed his suit once paired with him, as I went from 6 points in my first 25 games, to 15 points in my last 25. Both of these guys are making the jump to the big leagues next season, but both showed me how to play better on both ends of the ice so I can continue to anchor NLB's blue line.

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 

As a member of the Anaheim Outlaws, I had the opportunity to play with some great players as well as great lines throughout the season and into the playoffs. I believe that the best line pairing that I had the chance to play with was on the second unit power-play alongside C.T Carragher and Ivan Maximus. Throughout the playoffs Carragher was 3-4-7 and Ivan Maximus 2-7-9, I personally went 1-3-4. It was an absolute dominate performance that most team's penalty kills didn't have the opportunity to be able to keep up with. Due to great chemistry on and off the side, the line made for some difficult situations for opposing teams especially during the final two rounds of the play-offs. The Kraken and Scarecrows took some costly penalties throughout the two rounds and resulted in a mountain of goals scored on them because of it. This is definitely a line that should prove to be even more lethal into next season as the team continues to develop further.

As a goalie coming into the league you know you have to be on top of your game since every shooter you face is among the best you ever have faced. The speed and pace of the SMJHL and be overwhelming but having the right defence core can not only mitigate that but almost wipe out nerves entirely. For me, that was when Alex Petrenko and Ursin Zimmermann were a pairing in front of me. Petrenko was great at keeping guys to the outside and his 28 assists made him the bonafide quarterback on a lot of plays. Zim was a great stay-at-home defenseman who kept guys wide and out of my paint when they weren't being flattened along the boards by his crushing physicality. I think guys were afraid to get within 5 feet of me fearing the intense net-front battles Zim would put up. When those two were in front of me it was easy to focus on my game and play my part in shutting down the other guys' offence.

[Image: lyezech.gif]
Player Page || Updates
[Image: 15Ng51w.png]         

The best line in the league is none other than the top line of the endlessly successful Carolina Kraken. The Kraken's top forward line is made up of three superstars, all who have had much success early in their careers playing for the Kraken in the juniors. Tom Fiddler at center, Alexander Wachter on the left wing and Alexei Rykov on the right wing. This line is truly deadly. Tom Fiddler is the perfect man ti have down the middle. He is an excellent playmaker and is a great two way player that is effective on both ends of the ice. He is the glue that holds this line together. Alexander Wachter is a scoring threat from anywhere and he has one of the best scoring abilities in the junior, if not the best. Alexei Rykov is an all around offensive juggernaut that has broken records for the Kraken's franchise. When this line steps on the ice, the other team should prepare for hell.

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM