Create Account

With the 19th overall pick...
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2020, 10:15 AM by Huck24.)

With the SMJHL draft right around the corner, we are about to see a whole lot of new players joining the ranks of the SMJHL / SHL, hoping for simulation glory on the ice.  That was definitely what I was hoping for when I signed up almost one full calendar year ago.  A chance to raise a cup, a chance to be part of a team of players that wanted to do the same.  I had no idea what I was doing, I had never even heard of a simulation league before, I had played ‘Be a Pro’ mode on NHL many a times and I had done way too many NHL fantasy pools, this seemed to be a combination of both.  I couldn’t be happier with my choice to join; I had no idea that when I clicked on the link that I saw on r/habs that I would be starting my first simulation career.

Right away I was impressed on the set-up, I joined a couple of days before the draft and was able to take part in the Prospect Showcase.  That clinched it for me, I couldn’t wait for the next sim results to see how my player did, I started filling out all of the Interested Prospect threads and wondering which of the SMJHL teams I might end up on.  I had a few conversations with a couple of GMs, so I knew that there was some interest, but I wasn’t holding my breath.

When the draft day came, I really had no clue when or where I was going to end up.  The first round went by and I my name wasn’t called, I wasn’t surprised by this, I was a ‘virtual’ unknown in the world.  As the second round was nearing the end, the St. Louis Scarecrows were on the clock, I had just chatted with the co-GM Nictox (now the GM, congrats again Nictox!) the day before so I knew a little about the team and that they were interested in grabbing a defender (which my player is), but I was still in shock when with the 19th overall pick in the S47 SMJHL entry draft, my player, Lyle Odelein III was selected by the reigning Four Star Cup champions, the St. Louis Scarecrows.  I was so pumped that I had been selected and in the second round at that!  I was fully hooked at that point, I was an SHL’er and I haven’t looked back since. 

With this seasons draft coming up, I started wondering what other players had been selected with the 2nd last pick in the 2nd round.  So, I decided to do a little research and pick up a little draft bonus cash at the same time!  I went back to S45, this is the season when the SMJHL expanded to 10 teams, make the 19th selection the second to last 2nd round pick.  Here is what I found:

S45

Lethbridge Lions – Brennan Kennedy Jr.

The Lethbridge Lions selected a defender, Brennan Kennedy Jr.. Brennan spent one season with the Lions in the SMJHL, before being drafted with the 16th overall pick by the Calgary Dragons.  Kennedy made the move immediately into the SHL, joining Calgary in S46 and has become a mainstay on the Dragons blue line.  Kennedy just finished his seventh season with the Dragons, scoring 7 goals and adding 25 assists.  Brennan lifted the cup with the Dragons in S50 and is currently sitting at 1482 TPE.

S46

Lethbridge Lions (via Anchorage Armada / via Halifax Raiders – Borůvka Banananák

Lethbridge held the 19th overall pick again the next season, this time selecting right winger Bouruvka Banananak.  Bouruvka enjoyed a solid career in the juniors, his rookie season he racked up 17 points.  In the S47 SHL entry draft, Bouruvka was selected by the Edmonton Blizzard, with their third selection of the draft (#30 overall) they choose Lethbridge winger.  He lead the Lions is scoring the next two seasons in scoring and made the move up to Edmonton after his third season.  He still plays for the Blizzard, this past season he scored 17 goals and 19 assists, good for third overall on Edmonton’s roster.  Boruvka currently sits at 960 TPE.

S47

St. Louis Scarecrows (via San Francisco Pride) - Lyle Odelein III

This is my player, he was selected by the St. Louis Scarecrows after they had just won their third consecutive Four Star Cup.  He joined a stacked Crows team and played on the fourth pairing for his rookie season, scoring 2 goals and adding 5 assists.  At the S48 SHL draft, the New Orleans Specters traded up from their 12th overall spot to 8th overall and selected the defender from Montreal.  Lyle played two more seasons for the Crows and then was called up to New Orleans and has spent the last three seasons playing for the Specters.  Last season, Lyle scored 5 goals and 20 assists and was named as one of the alternate captains for the Specters.  Right now my player, Lyle Odelein III is at 
1149 TPE.

S48

Montreal Militia – Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz was drafted by the Montreal Militia at the 19th spot.  He played his rookie season, and with his connections to the Hamilton Steelhawks (this player is the Hamilton’s GM) he was auto drafted to the Steelhawks.  After his rookie season, he was traded to the Lethbridge Lions and played one more season before he was called up to the Steelhawks.  Hugh Jazz had 18 goals and 19 assists this past season and currently is at 922 TPE.

S49

Montreal Militia -  Zbigniew Pokrywka

Montreal had the 19th overall selection for the 2nd year in a row here, and they selected the Polish defender Znigniew Pokrywka.  This was Montreal’s final draft as the became the Carolina Kraken the following season, but they went out with a bang winning the Four Star Cup in Pokrywka’s rookie season.  He was then selected by the New Orleans Specters at 25th overall.  Last season Zbigniew scored 9 goals and had 22 helpers, leading all Kraken defenders.  He is currently at 365 TPE.

S50

Kelowna Knights – Luciano Vessot

Kelowna had the 19th overall pick for the S50 SMJHL draft.  The defender has been playing some solid hockey for the past three seasons in Kelowna.  The S51 SHL draft saw the Canadian defensemen get selected by the Edmonton Blizzard in the 2nd round of the draft, the 23rd overall pick.  Vessot continues to play for the Knights, he put up 11 goals and 30 assists this season for Kelowna.  Luciano is at 429 TPE right now.

S51

Anchorage Armada – Cyril Vyskoc

Cyril Vyskoc was selected with the 19th overall pick by the Anchorage Armada. The center that hails from the Czech Republic scored 9 goals and 16 assists in his rookie season. Cyril has declared that he would not enter into the SHL draft, instead he wanted to enjoy the full five seasons in the SMJHL and then hang up his skates and retire from hockey.  Vyskoc is currently at 307 TPE.

S52

Anchorage Armada – Chris De Siren

Chris De Siren was selected this past SMJHL draft by the Anchorage Armada who owned this pick for the second season in a row.  De Siren is an American born forward who with his first season the SMJHL the sniper did what he does best, scoring 12 goals and adding 5 assists.  This weekend Chris will be selected by one of the 16 SHL teams in the S53 entry draft.  De Siren is at 267 TPE as of this last update.

So, there you have it, these are all of the 19th overall picks over since the SMJHL expanded to the current ten team format.  We’ve seen 8 players selected in the second to last pick of the second round pick, 4 of which were forwards and the other 4 were defenders.

The Maine Timber own this seasons 19th overall pick, I know I’ll be watching to see who they select with their second rounded (this will be their fourth pick of the draft).  I look forward to welcome whomever is selected in this spot, they will be joining my player Lyle Odelein III and the other players mentioned above to this illustrious list of 19th overalls.
Good luck to everyone in the draft, hope you all enjoy hearing your players name called out as much as I did!

2x draft media - Word count - 1417 - with some research

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Ayyy that's me! 
19th pick- G Leo Bloomfield

[Image: bloomfield.png]
[Image: NEW_Team_final.png][img=0x280]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/789216032630898779/789216043259265024/unknown.png?width=1103&height=613[/img]

03-16-2020, 04:39 PMBloomeyGB Wrote: Ayyy that's me! 
19th pick- G Leo Bloomfield

Welcome to the club!!!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada