Create Account

SMJHL Draft Review/Grades PART 2(I reached Max character limit) (x2 Media)

Carolina Kraken  Kraken  
Picks:
Round 3:
Pick 10 (29th Overall): Vitek Viteček (@MegaSkuci
Round 4:
Pick 9 (38th Overall): Panda Panico (@peej2189)
Round 5:
Pick 9 (47th Overall): Stein Nilsen (@bordon23)

Round 6:
Pick 9 (52nd Overall): Ryan Hunt (@ryanjames4734)
Round 6:
Pick 9* (54th Overall): Joey Gabo (@QuakesItUp)

*this pick was technically Round 6, Pick 9 meaning that if pick would have been used, it would have been pick number 69

My Grades for all 10 Teams
This is the part that you have all been waiting for

Maine
I am going to give Maine a solid grade of A- They took Mikkel Asmus Sondergard number one overall, arguably the best player in the draft and Maine Addressed a major need at the blueline. By far their best pickup. However, they addressed their future in net by drafting Bloomfield in the second round. Their picks of Shepard and Danke in the Second Round will lock down the middle for the next few seasons and these will great picks especially if both stay active in the SHL. 

Anchorage
I am going to give Anchorage a low grade of C They took Sawful number two overall, I disagree with this pick at two. No doubt Sawful was a top 6 pick but with a Goalie need and Wally on the board they missed out. They also missed out on Takshak and Laforest. I believe I had Sawful at 5 so don't get me wrong I am proud of him and it was great to see him go high I just had him ranked differently personally. Another miss by Anchorage was drafting Schoochie Stratton ahead of Cale Amundsen who was the consensus number one goaltender going into this draft, so I can't give anchorage a very high grade here.

Newfoundland

I am going to give Newfoundland a high grade of A- They took Souppan number three overall, I disagree with this pick honestly. I wasn’t expecting Souppan to be a first round pick, while not being a terrible pick Takshak was still on the board at this time and I believe that would’ve been the right pick at 3. However, the second round is where the Bersekers really hit, they got a steal in Cale Amundsen which is amazing considering that he was the best goaltender but not the first off the board. So that brings their draft grade way up. Lastly the biggest steal in the draft was Jutlia, he was a projected top 6 pick and he fell all the way to pick 20 which is an amazing steal and this should not be overlooked. I think Newfoundland has a bright future with this rookie class.

Kelowna
I am going to give Kelowna a high grade of A+ They took Takshak number four overall, a guy I was expecting no later then 3 and they got him at 4 which is a massive win for the Knights. And they had a second pick in the first round. At number 7, they took Laforest who is a very active player and who I was expecting at number 4-6 so another win there for the knights. In the second round, Kelowna took defenseman Devin Williams. So in only two rounds, Kelowna took (arguably) the best Center and Winger in the draft along with a top tier defenseman. I honestly think Kelowna has the best draft day.

Vancouver
I am going to give Vancouver a mid grade of C+ They took Covid

number five 
overall, a guy I was expecting in the 2nd or 3rd round (this is because goalies aren’t demand number one for most teams). With Amundsen on the board (I know I sound like a broken record) I believe this was the wrong pick at 5 given that they could have gotten a goalie in the second or gotten Amundsen here. However, Covid has a bright future ahead of him and I hope he proves me wrong. In the second round Vancouver took Ryosuke Sato, a defenseman with a bright future and I like this puck so I’m pretty excited to see him play (and play against him).

Colorado
I am going to give Colorado a good 
grade of 
They took Aumy Jr. number five overall, someone who was all over the board in predictions. I believe he had early to last 2nd potential but I do not disagree with this Pick very much. Could they have made a better pick? Maybe that’s possible but why risk not getting “your guy” but waiting until the second. This was a smart choice especially considering Colorado had no second round picks. 

Detroit
I am going to give Detroit a low 
grade of C- They took
number Fantobeans eight 
overall, someone who was not found in he first round in many (if any) projections so I was not expecting this. Had this pick been at like 14 or later I would have called it a great pickup but it was too really with some forwards and goalies left on the board. Not to mention, Detroit didn’t have a second round pick.

St. Louis
I am going to give St. Louis a good 
grade of 
They took me (Will Lockwood) 
number nine 
overall, frankly I was astonished I got took here and I 
was excited. I would call myself a decent prospect and one of only three right wings in this draft (one had already been taken by this point). I’m sure this played into the decision. I was ranked as high as 7 and I had myself ranked 18 so this was interesting. I Won’t grade based off myself for this one and I’ll grade based off the second rounder. Richard Majors in the second round was a great pick in the second. He’s very active and I’m sure will be a franchise goalie or a great starter in the future. 

Anaheim
I am going to give Outlaw a
grade of 
They lost their first pick due to questionable decisions. However, they are defending champions so there isn’t much they need to do to be back in it this year. In the Second round, the Outlaw took Bergmann which was a great pick for the second round and I’m glad she found her way into this round and onto a contender. I this there is a lot of potential here. The grade is a reflection of the loss of the pick (and how it was lost).

Carolina
I am not going to grade Carolina as they had no picks in the first few rounds, making it very hard to grade. But they picked up protect players that can lead to improvements here or there. Why not I’ll give them an A just for having the 69th pick. Good meme boys

I hope you all enjoyed this both articles took me a combined 6-8 hours so it was very long and I put a lot of work into tracking down the players and giving a fair opinion. Sorry if I graded in a way that you think was insulting to you or your team. It does not mean that. Every player has a lot of potential and this draft was tight knit with people praising one another. So this is a great group of people/players.

Like every draft, there's always a surprise when it comes to picks but man I felt this one was a little more all over place than usually. I didn't expect to be drafted where I was to be honest. Regardless, I'm sure all teams picked up great players and I look forward to playing against them all this coming season.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!