Create Account

SMJHL Draft Prospects: Quick Takes (x2)

[Image: Dustin-Nielson-Hot-Takes-Oilersnation.jpg]

SMJHL Draft Prospects: Quick Takes

Double draft media eligible

After writing a few SHL prospect profiles over the last week or so, I decided for variety’s sake to look to do something a little different on the morning of the draft. The SMJHL draft goes down this evening, following this afternoon’s SHL draft and I haven’t really given any sort of attention to what’ll be going on there. Obviously the big SHL Reddit class takes up a lot of the attention but there seems like there’s quite a few people who’ve already signed up for the S54 SHL draft, who’ll be making the S53 SMJHL Draft into another class that could turn out to be quite notable.

I’m going to be writing about a handful of these prospects in a series of quick takes (limited you 100 words or less) in order to get out a snappy and digestible version of my opinion and also to cover off as many players as I can. The usual format of the prospect profiles I do can get a little tiresome after a while, so hopefully this will enable me to keep it kinda fun not just for the readers but for myself too. So without any further ado, let’s get into it and get some quick (and hot) takes about some SMJHL prospects.

JOSEPH FANTOBENS

Joseph’s dad David is a grizzled SHL veteran (who I had the pleasure of GMing for a few seasons), and the newest member of the family looks like a very solid prospect entering the draft. Playing a nimble two way game on the ice, young Joey is able to move with great ease and get it done on both ends of the ice. Expect him to be a first round draft pick.

KONRAD DANKE

The latest player from JHS, Danke Is a two way centre representing the Czech Republic. JHS is a veteran member of the site who had served as a GM in the past and so brings a great amount of knowledge of the league and how it works to the equation. All in all, he looks like a good recreate pick up for any team and should be a solid lr presence for the team that drafts him.

SLIMEY SNAIL

A big old boy hailing also from the Czech Republic, Slimey stands just 5 foot tall but weighs in at 300 pounds. Being built like barrel like this means that he is able to comfortably knock opponents off the puck and keep hold of it himself, and he fittingly plays a very rough nosed defensive defenseman style of play. Expect Snail to be picked by a team looking to add some serious strength and wait to their defensive lineup. 

ROTTICUS SCOTT

A left wing from Quebec who presumably shares some sort of link to the NSFL player of the same name, Scott looks like a forward with a serious preference to pass the puck. Scott’s shooting attributes could do with a little pumping up if he wants to operate as a more effective forward, but he certainly is able to distribute the puck like a pro already. Any teams who come into the draft looking to add a talented playmaker to their team could do a lot worse than picking up Scott.

JACK KLOMPUS

Another recreate, this one comes from the Toast roster of players, which has previously brought some big names into the league, including Hall of Famer Brett Broadway. Klompus is a talented forward in a few different aspects, and is just as comfortable shooting the puck as he is setting up a teammate. I can imagine Toast’s experience with the league and past success being attractive to teams when it comes to the draft, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him be one of the earlier picks.

ELWULF JERICSON

This young man from Maine enters the draft in which a team newly relocated to Maine holds the first overall pick. Coincidence? I think not. It may not be the case that Jericson goes first overall but even so, he looks like a good young prospect from what we’ve seen so far. A solid defenseman with a well rounded game near his own net, Jericson also has some solid ability going forward and making offense. Expect him to be an interesting prospect for GMs later today.

NICCOLO LIVIUS

The Italian Stallion, Livius joins the esteemed ranks of former SHL players hailing from that part of the world. Livius represents a welcome return to the SHL from veteran user bpp, a former SMJHL GM and someone with a wealth of experience in the league and it’s ways. At this early stage Livius appears to be very well rounded, and looks to have a very well rounded base upon which to build his SHL career going forward.

GRAPEFRUIT LIZARD

The latest player from a big name over in the NSFL, Lizard is a goalscoring forward from Norway who could just set the league on fire with his incredible shooting ability. Although Frost’s previous player didn’t achieve what he probably would have hoped, he is very active over in the NSFL and a big presence on Discord so could prove to be a huge add for a team to make later in the draft. I don’t think he’ll be the earliest pick but he could be a steal later on in the night.

SCOOCHIE STRATTON

Stratton is an interesting first gen goaltender prospect. He looks to have entered the league with a solid starting build, and could very easily develop into a high quality starting goaltender in the SMJHL. If he continues like he has he could become a teams starter this season if drafted to a team that needs someone immediately. He looks to have been pretty active since creating which is a really good sign, and so it’d be great to see him able to maintain this going forward.

All in all, it seems like this could be a fairly interesting draft class for both the SMJHL and the SHL. It’s always hard to follow up one of the size we just saw in the junior league, but this one could well be one of the classes that does a good job of following up the big draft we just saw. With a good mix of both recreate and first generation talent, the S53 SMJHL class has a lot of interesting stories, and it’s interesting to see some names we haven’t seen in a little while come back and join with another interesting crop of new members. Be sure to tune in and follow on later today to see exactly how things play out!

Code:
1,109 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

loving the media output

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

Thanks Dank! you’re my guyyy

[Image: zNTg4Ew.png]
thanks @suavemente !

Hey thanks for deciding to feature me!

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]