Create Account

Backing It Up
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 03:01 PM by takethehorizon.)

[Image: cut.jpg]
Kavanagh after this morning's skate

I had a chance to sit down Kelowna Knights' now starting goalie, Cillian Kavanagh. We talk about his career thus far, his transition to a starting goaltender, and his plans for moving up to the SHL.
Cillian, thanks for meeting with me today.

It’s a pleasure, of course. Glad to be here.

You’ve been backing up West Kendall Platoon’s, Luca Del Vecchio on the Knights organization for three seasons now. How has he influenced your play and how has being a backup affected your mindset in your early career?

Well coming into the league I knew right away as a goaltender I wasn’t going to see much ice early on in my first few seasons. That being said, I know that has nothing to do with how I play or myself as a goaltender. Luca was here first. He is this team’s starting goalie and Katth made it clear if I were to join Kelowna, I would be backing up Luca for some time until he moved up to the SHL. I was well aware when I decided to join the Knights and knew that this would give me a chance to develop as a member of the team and improve myself on the ice. Sure, everyone wants to play and it’s no fun watching your team win knowing that you had no part of it. But for me, that just makes the games that I am able to contribute in and win, so much more enjoyable. Being able to supply your team with starts when your starting netminder is getting the night off is such a help for the whole team. Being able to turn those backup starts into wins is something even more special.

We see other goaltenders entering the league being able to be slotted right into that starter position. Knowing this now, would you have joined a different organization if you received a starting role off the bat?

I do get asked this question regularly. Like I mentioned, part of being successful in the SMJHL is learning from those who have put more time into it than you have. I think that is case for many things even outside of sports. I want to put my team in the best position to win. If that’s starting me, great. If that is going with another goaltender, great. The guys are great in Kelowna and I would not give that up for an opportunity to get the starting job somewhere else. When I made my decision to sign with Kelowna two seasons ago I know what I was getting into and I couldn’t be happier.

S51. Four Star Cup Finals. Game 7. What was going through your head during that series and after the game was over?

Hah, you had to bring that one up. *shrugs* It stings. I’ll be lying to if I told you otherwise. To come that close to a championship after all that hard work is difficult. Nothing was worse than getting back into the locker room after the loss.  I felt helpless. I think we all did. Whether you saw 20 minutes of ice time or none. It was hard on the guys, but hey, it’s over with and now we move on. Similar to life, things will knock you down. It’s about whether you’re able to get back up and keep playing the game. Here I am two seasons later on the brink of a starting job and I’m looking to lead my team as far as I can. All I can do now is focus on the future and everything will fall into place.

Congratulations on getting that starting goaltender position. Do you plan to do anything different this off season to prepare for your new role or is it business as usual?

Well training began a little earlier this offseason, which is something I’m excited for. I couldn’t wait to get back out there to face shots and prepare my body and mind for the season ahead. I split starts with Luca last season so I was able to see a good amount of ice time to help prepare me for seasons ahead. I’ve been waiting quite a while for this opportunity so to say that I am ready is an understatement.

The league is switching to a new software, what does this mean to you?

I think it’s great, personally. FHM gives us goalies a better chance to shape our game around the things we excel at. I recently finalized my build and I feel like I have an all-around build that is consistent throughout. I know there are areas I need to improve and I look forward to work towards those categories throughout the rest of my SMJHL career. I am sure I will feel established by the time I get called up to the SHL.

You join the Pride at the start of S55. How are you looking forward to advancing to the SHL?

I haven’t put much thought into it yet. Grapehead reaches out to me every so often to touch base and has been great keeping me abreast with team needs and such which has been helpful. Right now, I’m focused on the Knights and bringing them home a cup. I’m excited about joining the SHL don’t get me wrong, but that’s further out. I like to focus on the here and now. I want to bring home a cup to Kelowna before my time is done.

Do you have any advice for the younger generation of goaltenders that are just entering the league?

Have fun with it! Goaltending is a difficult position both physically and mentally. Don’t let one bad goal affect you or it will lead to future bad goals. Take one shot at a time and you’ll be alright. Put your team in a position to win night in and night out. If you’re able to do that on a consistent basis that is an example of great goaltender.

Thank you for your time Cillian and goodluck in the upcoming season.

[1,010 words]

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Congrats on the starter role and I can't wait for the pre-season to start!!

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]