Create Account

Taylor Johnansson - A New Star in Town 2x Draft Media

Code:
1107 words. Double Media

It’s been a busy offseason for the Anaheim center, between the World Junior Championship, Season 53 SHL draft, and the start of training camp, but we were able to sit down with Taylor Johansson to go over how things are going heading into the new year. He is playing with Sweden’s Junior team as well as the National team. Currently for the WJC team he has 1 G/3 A/4 P in 14 games. For the National team Johansson had 1 G/1 A/2 P through the 12 round robin games on the 4th line for Sweden. 

1. Congratulations on being drafted to the North Stars! What was your first reaction when you learned you were headed to Toronto?

I was really glad to be drafted to Toronto. The GM has been around the Anaheim locker room a little bit and Ursin constantly talks about the North Stars. He’s very excited about their future and all of the young guys they have coming up through the pipeline.

2. How did the actual draft compare to your expectations of it? Did you go higher or lower than you expected? Any picks that surprised you?

There were a lot of really good players in the draft. I’m always going to be confident in my abilities. However, I think from being around a lot of these players recently, and playing more minutes in juniors and with the Swedish National team, I’ve realized there are a lot of really good players. So while I would have liked to go higher I’m happy where I ended up. I also have to realize that I was a UDFA last year so just getting to the SHL is an accomplishment.

3. What are your first impressions of the team? Are there any players you were drafted with or vets that you're excited to be playing with?

My first impressions are that I, once again, stumbled into a great locker room. Anaheim is such a great group of guys and Toronto is another great group. I’m still learning all of my teammate but ml is awesome and Ursin is great to have around. I’ve also started to get to know Jack Kanoff pretty well and he is a great prospect. I think our class is going to be a special one for Toronto.

4. What are you most looking forward to next season, whether it be your season in the SMJHL or watching the SHL team play throughout the season?

I’ll be watching what’s going on in Toronto, but I’ll also be excited to see how Ivan Maximus does in Chicago now that he is moving up to the SHL. I’m really excited for our season here in Anaheim. I’ll be getting a lot more playing time and we need to defend our championship from some of these teams that are bringing back a lot of their teams.

5. What does it mean to you to be playing for the Toronto North Stars? Are you excited by it or do you maybe feel more pressure because of it?

I don’t feel any pressure. I think this is a great opportunity to showcase my leadership and build a great career as our young pieces grow together. I think in a couple seasons the North Stars will be a force to be reckoned with.

6. With a season of experience under your belt now after spending a season in the SMJHL, what do you think is going to be your biggest improvement from your rookie season?

I think my scoring output and passing will be my biggest improvement. I’ve spent a lot of time working on finding my shots and shooting with more purpose and accuracy. I haven’t really been able to score much in my short time here. Being able to set others up, as well as taking my chances when they present themselves, are two steps I’m looking to take as I try to replace a lot of the scoring that is moving up to the SHL this season.

7. What are your expectations for your team and your player this upcoming season? What about long term?

My expectations are that we will be somewhere in the middle of the pack. We were pretty deep last year but that will be tested this year. Fortunately, we have Strom in goal for the Outlaws so good luck getting it past him. For myself I think at least 3 points is the goal with a faceoff percentage north of 52%. Long term I’d like to win another cup and maybe even get an individual award. I think the sky is the limit for myself.

8. I know you were just drafted, but how do you feel like you fit in Toronto, both in the aspect of locker room atmosphere and position? How do you feel about being drafted to Toronto?

I think I will fit in just fine. Mika Kandinsky is a great leader on the team currently, and the best center on the team, so just trying to keep my mouth shut and learn as much as possible. There should be a good amount of playing time whenever I do get called up so I just need to make sure I’m ready once I’m called upon. In the locker room I’m always attentive, asking questions and just learning as much as I can. Being drafted to Toronto gives me a great opportunity to play earlier compared to some other teams.

9. Are you worried about playing against your future teammates in the juniors? Do you think that will have a negative effect on you meshing with them in the shl?

No I’m not worried at all. I’m hoping that I can get one on Jack and deke him a couple times during the season. Who knows, maybe he will even take it easy on me if he sees me coming across the middle. I like playing against these guys. We are all trying to get better and what better way to do that then to play each other.

10. Final question, how do you like the jerseys in Toronto?

I was just telling someone this the other day but the blue and white play together really well. Blue is a personal favorite color, who doesn’t like blue, and I think the logo is dope. The maple leaf with the CN Tower meshing together is really cool. I’m just hoping I can get my preferred number, but I’m definitely looking forward to the Toronto jerseys down the line.

We will check back in with Taylor once the season gets under way to see how everything is going. Stay Tuned!

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]