Create Account

SHL Fantasy² Introduction

03-18-2020, 09:44 PMAvakael Wrote: It's an interesting idea, but starting it during the first season of FHM is the exact wrong time to do it, because all the usual suspects for good teams are probably up in the air.

We kind of like that actually, in theory (and in the future) we want people to be drafting users in this before they even know those users' teams so you really are drafting that individual user as opposed to their team

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

03-18-2020, 09:44 PMAvakael Wrote: It's an interesting idea, but starting it during the first season of FHM is the exact wrong time to do it, because all the usual suspects for good teams are probably up in the air.

I think it's as good a time as any if we plan on continuing this through multiple seasons. The fresh new sim engine would make it more interesting like @hotdog said and the league can grow as the new sim engine is broken in.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

Fuck my brain hurts

but also sign me up

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

I'm not quite sure if I understand this, but I'd normally participate anyway, because it sounds like fun. However, I don't like the 2 hour rule, because I don't think that's very fair towards people living in different time zones and not everyone being online all the time - even despite the option of being able to pick later, so I probably won't participate.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

03-19-2020, 02:43 AMCarpy48 Wrote: I'm not quite sure if I understand this, but I'd normally participate anyway, because it sounds like fun. However, I don't like the 2 hour rule, because I don't think that's very fair towards people living in different time zones and not everyone being online all the time - even despite the option of being able to pick later, so I probably won't participate.

Our goal was to have this league finish drafting before the regular SHL fantasy draft got much momentum so participants would draft based on who they view as good fantasy players rather than who they rostered currently. Do you have a suggestion that might make you reconsider? I'm interested in balancing out the fairness, especially if we want this to become more serious.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

03-19-2020, 03:04 AMbbjygm Wrote:
03-19-2020, 02:43 AMCarpy48 Wrote: I'm not quite sure if I understand this, but I'd normally participate anyway, because it sounds like fun. However, I don't like the 2 hour rule, because I don't think that's very fair towards people living in different time zones and not everyone being online all the time - even despite the option of being able to pick later, so I probably won't participate.

Our goal was to have this league finish drafting before the regular SHL fantasy draft got much momentum so participants would draft based on who they view as good fantasy players rather than who they rostered currently. Do you have a suggestion that might make you reconsider? I'm interested in balancing out the fairness, especially if we want this to become more serious.

I understand that it should finish before the regular fantasy draft is finished (even there some groups are a lot faster than others), but I could see too many users being skipped because of this rule. If you have a group with 8 people and let's say half are from North America and the others are from Europe, assuming there aren't any insomniacs among them, there will be a lot of skipping happening and then I don't see the point of having a specific order. We could change the order within a group if that helps, but 2 hours is really not much and then you have your verification process too which might cause problems. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

03-19-2020, 04:21 AMCarpy48 Wrote:
03-19-2020, 03:04 AMbbjygm Wrote: Our goal was to have this league finish drafting before the regular SHL fantasy draft got much momentum so participants would draft based on who they view as good fantasy players rather than who they rostered currently. Do you have a suggestion that might make you reconsider? I'm interested in balancing out the fairness, especially if we want this to become more serious.

I understand that it should finish before the regular fantasy draft is finished (even there some groups are a lot faster than others), but I could see too many users being skipped because of this rule. If you have a group with 8 people and let's say half are from North America and the others are from Europe, assuming there aren't any insomniacs among them, there will be a lot of skipping happening and then I don't see the point of having a specific order. We could change the order within a group if that helps, but 2 hours is really not much and then you have your verification process too which might cause problems. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

That's fair. We'll mull it over and consider a change next season. Thanks for the feedback!

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

this is too much

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

03-18-2020, 11:14 PMhotdog Wrote:

We kind of like that actually, in theory (and in the future) we want people to be drafting users in this before they even know those users' teams so you really are drafting that individual user as opposed to their team
But that's the point. When I say "usual suspects for good teams", I'm talking about users, not players. I used to do big (10k words) media articles on this every season and there was a very reliable cadre of users who'd win their group more often than not. Now that we've dumped STHS, all of that knowledge is gone and it's a crapshoot.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]