Create Account

Richard Majors Diary - Preseason

Preseason has been rough so far.  The practices take a toll.  Learning all the new ways to be a goalie, positioning, working on my reflexes all has been new and it shows how much I must learn.  It also showed me how many muscles I haven’t used before as I am hurting in places, I didn’t know that you could hurt.  I spend a good amount of time in the trainer’s room getting iced up after practice, so I don’t pull any muscles since this is new to me.

During the games, that is a different story.  I know it is pre-season, but there are more people in the stands than I have played in front of before.  Of course, I haven’t gotten on the ice for any game time yet as the team wants to get Elizabeth Doyle (@evok) ready for the regular season since she is the starting goalie and will be in net for most of the games this year.  I have pretty much been told that this will almost be a redshirt year for me since I am young, and Elizabeth is much more established than I am.  They want me to learn and be prepared because next year, could be my year.

Today, I am in my locker, chatting with the guys next to me, slowly getting ready.  The GM walks through the locker room, chatting with a bunch of the more established guys when he stops in front of my locker.

@Nictox: How are you doing kid?  You feeling good?  Adjusting well?

Richard Majors:  I’m doing well, getting used to the grueling workouts.  It has been slow going, but I am getting the hang of things.  The guys have been great, and Elizabeth has been showing me a lot.

Nictox: That’s good.  Are you sore at all today?

Richard Majors:  Not much, the trainers have been great getting me ready for the next day.

Nictox:  Well, you will be tomorrow.

Richard Majors:  Huh?

Nictox:  Oh, I guess they didn’t tell you.  You’re starting today.  Good Luck.

With that, Nictox walks off and I am in disbelief as the guys walk up to me and tap me on the side and wish me luck.  Elizabeth looks over and gives me a smile like she knew it all along, just didn’t want to tell me.  I am overcome and start to panic slightly as the realization washes over me that I will be between the pipes tonight.  I get a hold of myself as I pick up my phone, put on my earbuds and turn on my music.  “Kill them all” by Metallica starts playing as I lean back, almost lying down in my locker, as the song takes me over.  I just relax, almost in a trance as the music plays.  Letting it fill my soul and get me ready for the game.

Once that song ends, it is time for me to continue to get ready.  I need to make sure that everything is perfect as I get ready for my first game of the pre-season.  Not that it wasn’t for the last two games, but knowing I wasn’t going to start, I didn’t take as much pre-caution in my pads.  I am double and triple checking everything, making sure it is all in the right place, so I don’t have a mishap.

Metallica continues to play as I try to make this game feel like one back in high school.  Even though I know I am going to be playing my first professional game in front of thousands of fans, I’m trying to imagine a smaller arena.  Less fans.  Even though it is a home game, I am preparing because who knows how the fans will react to me.  I’m worried I will be tight, but I will be ready.

I finish getting ready, ready to go out for my first game as a starter.  The team is going to be heading out soon.  Everyone is lining up ready to go, and they want me to lead them out.  For my first start, they are all pumping me up and getting me ready to go.  I am ready, it is now or never.

(700 words)

Next year WILL be your year, you are the future of STL. we're so hyped to have you around!

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

You're gonna be great. You got this.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Thanks guys.  I look forward to the year and next.

And you had a great first game for St.Louis!

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]