Create Account

Power Ranking all 16 team’s Top Line Defense Pairing
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 05:49 PM by reid.)

(2870 words, ready for grading)

Click here for other positions power rankings:

||Center||Left Wing||Right Wing||

As before, a quick background: These rankings are based on TPE and S52 production, as well as a little bit of FHM builds and opportunities. I cannot predict how GM’s might deploy their lines, so this is supposed to represent the absolute best (TPE wise) line that a GM could make using mostly players in their natural positions. In the case of defense, I know that a lot of these pairings might not represent pairings that exist in the SHL, just the hypothetical top pairings a team could make. Now lets get into the defense rankings!

16. Sanyi Koscis and Ursin Zimmermann, Toronto North Stars  Stars
TPE: 763 (Koscis) || 753 (Zimmermann)
S52 Stats: 3G, 10A, 13P -16 (Koscis) (S51 Stats) || 1G, 14A, 15P, -20 (Zimmermann) (SMJHL Stats)

The pairing of Koscis and Zimmermann is an interesting one for the North Stars. Koscis is a journeyman, and was an IFA signing this past offseason - last playing in S51 before sitting out the S52 season. Zimmermann is a high performing youngster who will be making his rookie debut in S53. Because of their low TPE totals (several pairings had both defenders with more TPE than Koscis and Zimmermann combined) and unproven abilities, they are ranked at the bottom of the power rankings. Along with Zimmermann, there are several exciting young defenders in Toronto’s pipeline, including freshly drafted Jack Kanoff. In a few seasons, Toronto will surely rank higher, as they have the young talent to make a big jump.

15. Nikolai Evans and Joln Dubolk, Tampa Bay Barracuda  Barracuda
TPE: 1291 (Evans) || 1103 (Dubolk)
S52 Stats: 17G, 26A, 43P, -15 (Evans) || 5G, 14A, 19P, -12 (Dubolk)

A clear step up from the 16th place team, the Barracuda pair had two very different seasons in S52. Evans was second in team scoring, piling up 43 points. Further more, he was 4th overall for defenseman in scoring. He did, however, turn in a putrid -15 rating on the season, likely a product of the Tampa Bay team as a whole. Dubolk was not much better in the rating department, posting a -12 to go along with his 19 points. Despite Evans great season, their relatively low TPE totals for a top pairing, and the weaker link in Dubolk keeps them at 15. Good news for the Barracuda is they drafted future superstar Ambacas Cuddles 2nd overall in the recent draft, and he and Evans should be a force to be reckoned with several seasons down the line.

14. Harvey Danger and Piotr Horvat, Texas Renegades  Renegades
TPE: 1403 (Danger) || 1049 (Horvat)
S52 Stats: 14G, 26A, 40P, -10 (Danger) || 3G, 22A, 25P, -5 (Horvat)

Danger and Horvat provide an interesting dynamic for the Renegades. Danger was an offensively orientated defenseman, and the elder of the two, in his second season of regression. He put up 40 points, good for 2nd in team scoring and 10th for a defenseman overall. He posted a -10 rating – not great for a top pairing defender. Horvat was comparatively better on the defensive end, only posting a -5 rating, but contributed less on the offensive end. Horvat still has time to develop into a top line stud however, as he was only drafted in S48. The Renegades duo just beat out the Barracuda for this spot, as Horvat had a better year as the sidekick for Danger than Dubolk for TB.

13. Nat Emerson and Ethan Ross, West Kendall Platoon  Platoon
TPE: 1420 (Emerson) || 1200 (Ross)
S52 Stats: 1G, 23A, 24P, -3 (Emerson) || 9G, 29A, 38P, -7 (Ross)

Here we have the first of several top line defensive pairs in the SHL that follows the 1400 TPE leading man with a 1200 TPE second defenseman. What is unusual by these standards is that the lower TPE player here, Ross, had a better offensive season than the higher TPE earner, Emerson. Emerson was a stay at home defenseman and chipped in 24 points. Ross was the offensive dynamo of the two, scoring 38 points, but taking more risks, which lead to a -7 rating, 4th worst on the team. His 38 points did tie him for the team lead, however, which is very impressive for a defenseman. This duo’s lower production and weaker defense led them to be ranked in 13th and no higher, as most of the defensive duo’s ahead of them were solid in their own zone.

12. Kaspars Claude and Lyle Odelein III, New Orleans Specters  Specters
TPE: 1231 (Claude) || 1243 (Odelein III)
S52 Stats: 7G, 20A, 27P, -14 (Claude) || 5G, 20A, 25P, +11 (Odelein III)

This duo of S48 drafted defenders are just about to step into their prime in the coming seasons. While they did not have a stand out scorer between the two of them, Odelein was very solid in his own zone, racking up a +11 rating. Claude played on the second line for New Orleans, but with the departure of Sean Stevenson Jr., he should be primed to step up and to the top line. This pair has a lot of potential, and if they both continue earning TPE, they could very well peak at the top of this ranking. They are the second and third highest earners in their draft class, so their ceiling is sky high. Unfortunately for them, their current production and TPE land them at 12th overall, but watch out for this duo in S53.

11. Jon Toner and Tony Ford, Los Angeles Panthers  Panthers
TPE: 1415 (Toner) || 1284 (Ford)
S52 Stats: 12G, 29A, 41P, +3 (Toner) || 8G, 16A, 24P, +15 (Ford)

A step above the Specters top line pairing is Los Angeles rear guards Jon Toner and Tony Ford. The duo from the British Isles are opposites that work excellently together. Toner is the old veteran from S39, tied for 6th in scoring for defenseman league wide. Ford is the younger defender just entering his prime who played an excellent shut down role on the top line for the Panthers. His +15 rating was third among all top line defenders that I looked at. With Toner several seasons into regression, he will need to be replaced in a few seasons on the Panthers top line, and the Panthers have high end prospects Oliver Cleary and Disisde Dayudie to pick up the slack when called upon. Ford should be a staple on the Panthers top line for years to come.

10. Slip McScruff and Adam Barron, Winnipeg Jets  Jets
TPE: 1642 (McScruff) || 913 (Barron)
S52 Stats: 4G, 24A, 28P, +2 (McScruff) || 6G, 16A, 22P, +14 (Barron)

Despite a down year from McScruff, the Winnipeg Jets top line checks in here at 10. McScruff is the 7th ranked TPE earner among defenseman, but his partner Barron is the weak link TPE wise, with only 913. I say “only”, but Barron was in his rookie season in S52, and had an excellent showing, putting up 22 points as a defenseman along with a stellar +14. He is 6th among S50 draftees in terms of TPE, and is a future superstar in the league. Playing with McScruff no doubt will continue to help his development, and hopefully for the both of them, they turn out more productive seasons in S53. It felt wrong ranking such a high TPE earner such as McScruff any lower than this, given the other pairs around them, but the pairs above them earned it through very solid production.

9. Mathias Seger and Geoff Moore, Minnesota Chiefs  Chiefs
TPE: 1485 (Seger) || 1429 (Moore)
S52 Stats: 12G, 25A, 37P, -15 (Seger) || 8G, 34A, 42P, +0 (Moore)

In 9th we have the Chiefs tandem of Mathias Seger and Geoff Moore. On virtual equal footing TPE wise, the S42 veteran (Moore) and the S46 player (Seger) both had productive offensive seasons. Seger was more of an attacker, scoring 12 goals, tied for 2nd among defenders for lighting the lamp. In total, Seger tallied 37 points, but it was with an awful -15 rating, second worst on the Chiefs. He helped offensively but will have to step up his offensive game if the pair wants to vault up the rankings. For his part, Moore was much more defensively responsible, finishing with a neutral rating of 0, tied for best on the Chiefs. He also was a dynamic playmaker, dishing out 34 assists to add to 8 goals – good for 5th in league scoring as a defenseman. With one of these D-men stepping into his prime, and the other exiting it, this might be the highest they will rank, but Seger has room to grow, and another young defenseman could certainly step into Moore’s place.

8. Corey Kennedy and Parker Smeb, Chicago Syndicate  syndicate
TPE: 1478 (Kennedy) || 1237 (Smeb)
S52 Stats: 13G, 21A, 34P, +14 (Kennedy) || 6G, 19A, 25P, +24 (Smeb)

One of the most defensively responsible pairs in the rankings, Kennedy and Smeb had a +14 and a +24 rating respectively. Smeb in particular was one of the best stay at home defenseman in the league, as +24 was the best rating in the league for any position. He only chipped in 25 points offensively, but Kennedy can be the attacking part of the duo. Speaking of Kennedy, he is the top TPE earner in the S47 draft, and will probably be one of the best defenders in the league once he gets to the top of his prime. Smeb is also in is prime, so this duo could absolutely shoot up the rankings. They are still young – which is represented by their slightly dampened production and TPE levels, which is what keeps them at 8, but I am very excited about this pairing and what they could do in the future.

7. Tig Murphy and Gabriel Johnson, Hamilton Steelhawks  Steelhawks
TPE: 1606 (Murphy) || 1254 (Johnson)
S52 Stats: 15G, 31A, 46P, +12 (Murphy) || 10G, 24A, 34P, +0 (Johnson)

Not actual defensive partners in the SHL, Murphy and Johnson are the two highest TPE earning defenseman on the Steelhawks. Murphy has been a staple as one of the best defensemen in the league for seasons and has been nominated for the Scott Stevens award for 3 seasons running. His 46 points were 2nd in the league for defenseman, and there is no reason to believe he will slow down, even as he hits regression for the first time. On the other side of the coin, Gabriel Johnson is the top TPE earner in the S48 draft, and is an exceptional talent being the second-best defenseman on the team with only a few seasons under his belt. This pairing has exceptional potential, and even when Murphy starts to show age, they have stud Samuel Michaud to step up and form an exciting combo with Johnson.

6. Otis B. Driftwood and Brennan Kennedy Jr., Calgary Dragons  Dragons
TPE: 1642 (Driftwood) || 1573 (Kennedy Jr.)
S52 Stats: 6G, 21A, 27P, +2 (Driftwood) || 7G, 25A, 32P, +7 (Kennedy Jr.)

The high TPE duo from Calgary checks in at 6th overall in the power rankings. With lackluster years from both Driftwood and Kennedy offensively, I ranked them here because of their TPE and potential to score and contribute more on a strong Dragons team. They both had >20 assists and finished with positive ratings which is a good sign. Driftwood is a veteran of the S40 draft, and Kennedy Jr of the S46 draft. Calgary has a deep blue line, and will likely balance their lines in S53, meaning Kennedy and Driftwood may not play together, as they did not in S52.

5. Brady McIntyre and Karlstrabe Scholz, Edmonton Blizzard  Blizzard
TPE: 1666 (McIntyre) || 1527 (Scholz)
S52 Stats: 7G, 27A, 34P, -3 (Mcintyre) || 10G, 16A, 26P, -5 (Scholz)

Legendary defender Brady McIntyre – member of the 2000 TPE club is still kicking at an elite TPE level for a veteran of S39. He put up 34 points for a low scoring Blizzard team, and was an ok -3 on the ice. Scholz was the better goal scorer of the duo in S52, as he put up 10 goals, but only 16 assists to end the season with an underwhelming 26 points. The duo is ranked here because of their high TPE totals, and it should make them productive next season. Look for them to both bounce back with stronger scoring numbers. They are an elite pair, they just could not touch our top 4 pairings, which are in a league of their own.

4. Barret McCarthy and Reginald MacIntyre, Manhatten Rage  Rage
TPE: 1776 (McCarthy) || 1259 (MacIntyre)
S52 Stats: 3G, 41A, 44P, +16 (McCarthy) || 11G, 21A, 32P, +13 (MacIntyre)

Another high ranking for Manhattan in this series of power ranking! McCarthy is a franchise level defenseman and is the 3rd ranked TPE earner in the S44 draft at the top of his game right now. He scored 44 points in S52, good for 3rd among all defenseman. He also registered an impressive 41 assists, most among the top line defenders in this analysis. MacIntyre held his own as well, scoring 31 points for the Rage. There were several defenders on the rage around the 1200 TPE mark, so it was hard to choose a partner for McCarthy, but MacIntyre was his normal partner in S52, and he had a slight TPE advantage, so I chose him. Both Rage defenders registered very positive ratings as well, showing how solid defensively they were. Once MacIntyre regresses some more, Andrej Doskocil should be ready to take the mantel of top line defenseman, and the Rage top pairing will be a top flight defense for several more seasons.

3. Rex Kirkby and Guy Zheng, New England Wolfpack  Wolfpack
TPE: 1912 (Kirbky) || 1542 (Zheng)
S52 Stats: 12G, 23A, 35P, -2 (Kirkby) || 8G, 32A, 40P, +6 (Zheng)

Kirkby is an esteemed member of the 2000 TPE club before hitting regression this season. Still, he is the highest TPE defender in the league. This is his first season with New England, having spent that last years of his career with the West Kendall Platoon. Surrounded by better teammates, I have no doubt that his scoring will increase, and we will see a positive rating from him. New England gains a great defender just as they are looking to push for the Challenge Cup. For his part, Zheng put up a solid 40 points with a +6 rating. His 32 assists were 4th among all top pairing defenseman in this analysis. He was drafted in S46, so he has a few more years to grow. With the combination of Kirkby and Zheng, this feels like a spot in the rankings they could hold for several more seasons.

2. Leopold Lockhart and Charlie Schieck, San Francisco Pride  pride
TPE: 1729 (Lockhart) || 1503 (Schieck)
S52 Stats: 15G, 26P, 41A, +11 (Lockhart) || 6G, 42A, 48P, +2 (Schieck)

The tandem of Lockhart and Schieck was absolutely dominant in S52. Schieck led all defenseman in scoring, and Lockhart was tied for 6th overall in scoring. Lockhart is the clear best defender on the Pride, but the second spot was not easy to choose. They have 4 bona fide top line defenders, including Ray Bork and Dominic Montgomery, both at about 1600 TPE. I made an exception to how I chose my other top line players for Schieck, because he had such an amazing year offensively, and it felt like he should be representing San Francisco here in this ranking. Between the top two D pairings in the league, it was razor thin to decide who got the top spot. You could make an argument either way, and in some ways it was an argument of TPE vs S52 production.

1. Poopity Scoop and Cassius Darrow, Buffalo Stampede  Stampede
TPE: 1845 (Scoop) || 1784 (Darrow)
S52 Stats: 11G, 30A, 41P, +9 (Scoop) || 6G, 33A, 39P, +0 (Darrow)

And here we have our top defense pairing in the league! They are the second and third highest TPE earning defenseman out of all the top line players analyzed. That, along with their also solid production, is what led me to place them at the top of the rankings here. No other duo boasted two other top 10 TPE earners aside from Calgary (#7 and #10), and having two of the top three felt significant. In FHM, where TPE difference is said to matter a lot, that was what ultimately made the difference to me. Scoop and Darrow also have the advantage of being at the top of their prime now: Scoop drafted in S44, and Darrow in S45, with a few more seasons until regression. Scoop was tied with Lockhart for 6th in scoring for defenseman, and Darrow was not too far behind, with 39 points. The pair, along with San Francisco, were some of the only duos to both have basically equal and strong production.

There are a lot of very strong defensive pairings in the league, hopefully my insight was not too far off, and I hope you enjoyed! Check back tomorrow for my goalie rankings, and the summary of each team’s top line!

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

Scoop and Darrow stronk

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

gabe on da first pairing?
he do be kinda qwirky doe

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

hahahahaha @Gwdjohnson apparently you are a first line defensman playing 2nd line.... scrub

yeah get that scrub @MCP_ out of here, ambacas is WAY better

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

I WILL NOT TAKE THIS SLANDER AGAINST MY NAME

I AM A BOJO BISCUIT NOMINEE GOD DAMN IT

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

poop on my darrow

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

imagine thinking Gabriel Jonhson is a good defenseman

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Kirkby. Not Kirby.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

03-26-2020, 04:04 PMAcsolap Wrote: Kirkby. Not Kirby.
Whoops, sorry about that

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

If I play on a pairing with Gabe I'm retiring

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

03-26-2020, 09:19 PMnotorioustig Wrote: If I play on a pairing with Gabe I'm retiring
@aaronwilson

shut up Kirby boy

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

03-26-2020, 09:49 PMml002 Wrote:

shut up Kirby boy

Rix Kirby!!!!

mcintyre and scholz gunna climb the list in S53 just you wait.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride