Create Account

Special Edition: Know Your Armada - Episode 1: Scoochie Stratton

Jason Staples – Welcome everyone. I’m very happy to bring you a special edition of the “know your ..” interview series, with Know Your Armada: Episode 1! We were able to sit down with recent Anchorage draftee Scoochie Stratton @honkerrs and asked some important questions that you, the readers are burning to know. Please enjoy this special presentation:

Jason Staples – Hi Scoochie, first of all thank you very much for taking the time to sit down with me. We’re just a few days past the SMJHL draft, and you ended up being drafted #12 overall to the Anchorage Armada. I’m sure it has been a whirlwind last few days for you, so let’s start off with the draft. Were you able to watch the draft live?

Scoochie Stratton - Yes, I was able to attend the draft live in person with my family attending with me. At first I didn't realize who I was drafted by because I was just pumped to hear my name but quickly realized it was the Armada.

Jason Staples - What did you think of the entire draft process?

Scoochie Stratton - The draft was a lot more professional than I thought it would be when I first declared for the draft. It was just like when I have watched the SHL draft live while growing up. GMs and/or alumni coming up, calling out names, handing out jerseys...the SMJHL draft really had it all. I think I'm a lot more prepared for the SHL draft now and won't be so nervous with cameras anywhere since the SMJHL was so well done.

Jason Staples – They have been doing a good production these last few drafts, it’s definitely always exciting to watch, and even better with a press pass.
Let’s move back in time a little bit now. How was your experience being scouted?

Scoochie Stratton – I had a blast. Honestly it was a lot of fun. I enjoy talking to new people and getting to know them and trying to figure out what their team dynamics would be like. 7 teams reached out to me, most of which did within 24 hours of entering the draft a few days before. So a lot of dedicated scouts out there. Everyone I spoke to was extremely nice and helpful so I was going to be fine with wherever I went. I was especially glad I got to keep the draft process organic though and not tell all the teams where I wanted to go.

Jason Staples - Did you have a shortlist of teams that you felt you would be a good fit with?

Scoochie Stratton – Yea, there were a couple of teams. By the end of scouting I had two teams I really wanted to go to. Anchorage was one of them so I am really pumped I got to go to one of my top two teams.

Jason Staples – That’s awesome. I’m glad you found a great home right off the bat. Anchorage seems to be an upstanding organization that has a good history of developing players.
You were the second goalie taken, and #12 overall. Did you expect to be ranked so highly?

Scoochie Stratton – I wasn't sure if GMs were going to favor legacy players, players who have a relative in the league, or an alumni over newer players so had no clue where I would go. I just tried to be myself when scouts reached out to me and my prospect interviews seemed to be on the more detailed side compared to others, so hopefully that was looked upon as a good thing. Because of that, combined with the fact that multiple teams had  goaltenders who were kindof checked out already, and they didn't want to start them for too much longer, I figured I had a pretty good chance of being one of the top 3 goalies taken at least.

Jason Staples – Were you expecting to go this high to Anchorage?

Scoochie Stratton – I had a good feeling that I was going to go in the 2nd round and wasn't sure to which team yet though. Anchorage definitely believes in all their rookies and it's great that they trust that I'm going to put in the work to improve my ability the next few seasons. It also was a major positive that I might be able to win the starter job by the playoffs.

Jason Staples – Well from what I’m seeing out of you so far I think you might be handed the reigns a lot sooner than playoffs this season. Keep up the solid work!
After your name was called, what was the experience like for joining your new Locker Room, to meeting some of the veterans and alumni?

Scoochie Stratton – The LR blew up whenever each rookie entered and definitely was a good feeling to be welcomed right away. We had an ongoing video conference in the Armada draft room, after the stage they took me there and I was able to meet the team and alumni. Anchorage has an insanely deep alumni program that's active along with the management and vets. It was one of the major reasons why Anchorage was one of the top spots for me to land. If you ask a question it pretty much immediately gets answered at any time of the day so it is nice to have for a new player to the league. If my goal of becoming the best goaltender in the league is accomplished down the road these mentors in Anchorage definitely will be a major reason why I'm sure.

Jason Staples – That actually sounds very fun. I wonder if I could get invited to one of these team parties one day?

Scoochie Stratton – Probably not Jason

Jason Staples – Well... in any case it’s good to hear that the team is so aligned. The main goal of the Jr’s is to pump out future SHL stars and it sounds like they are on the right track with you.
What are your main goals for the season?

Scoochie Stratton – My main personal goal is to help our team reach at least the top 4 this year in whatever way I can. Whether it be shutting it down every couple games as a backup, be active and positive in the LR, or helping out management with tactics if they need it. We have a pretty young team so it would be really fun to accomplish top 4. On top of that, as I mentioned earlier, I want to earn the starter spot by the time the playoffs hit. That would be a huge accomplishment for me as a player and show that I've held up to the standard that Anchorage drafted me on.

Jason Staples – Before you know it, your name is going to be called by an SHL team in the draft next season. Have any teams made an impact on you yet?

Scoochie Stratton – I'm going to go into the SHL draft as I did the SMJHL draft. Just be myself and show how dedicated I am to being a top goaltender in the league. Also as I did for the SMJHL draft I'm going to be open to anyone that takes an interest in me. No specific teams yet, but come on man, the SMJHL draft was literally just days ago.

Jason Staples – Ok, fair point. They also just had their draft earlier in the same day as well, so everyone is most likely in a post draft haze at the moment. Where do you think you would be a good fit?

Scoochie Stratton – I wouldn't really want to play in a place that never scouted me beforehand so hopefully the SHL draft will work out for me like the SMJHL one.

Jason Staples – Do you have any aspirations for a specific draft round or compared to your peers?

Scoochie Stratton – My goal would definitely be the #1 goalie taken since I was the 2nd this draft. If I could do that, would be a big achievement.

Jason Staples - Well I think it's definitely on the table, but then again there seem to be a lot of high end goalies in this draft, so you'll have your work cut out for you.
You have probably heard a bunch of gossip or rumors, but the SHL is just entering into a new era with the hopes of new arena regulations being better for the fans. It's all very science, but essentially the ice composition is changing a chemical called STHS (or 'shits' to a new one called FHM). How does it feel being part of the very first draft class using exclusively this compound?

Scoochie Stratton – That is a really big factor this season that you just brought up. I heard about this new chemical going to be official a few months ago when I was thinking about declaring for the draft. Luckily I got to test it out being as my home town is right near the Texas Renegades ice and they luckily let me try it out a few times before the draft. I honestly love it and I think the fans are going to also. Just from the first couple preseason games you can tell the ice is a lot faster and there is a ton of offense being generated right now. Being able to see 30+ shots a game is going to be not only fun for the fans, but also for a goalie looking to have some fun! I also enjoy getting into the tactics side and you can tell that every team is trying a lot of new ideas about what the best system is with this new chemical. Definitely an exciting time to join up in the SHL.

Jason Staples – It’s definitely exciting to be a part of, and it is nice to see that the ownership is willing to take steps to continuously improve the on ice product.
What design are you going to go with for your mask?

Scoochie Stratton - I'm definitely going to go with a military themed helmet. My dad and grandfather are both retired United States Air Force so I want to pay a little tribute to them. I also wanted to do military theme because our team is the Armada (military boats) and also Alaska is home to an important Air Force base for the US. One side will have the awesome Armada logo then on the other I'm looking to have some F-22s doing some dog fighting maneuvers and some missiles coming out. Hopefully will be really cool and unique.

Jason Staples – That sounds awesome. Can’t wait to see it on the ice. Would be kind of cool on a Colorado goalie as well being the Raptor.
Ian Venables was a stalwart goalie for Anchorage for the last bunch of seasons. What is it going to be like jumping into action, being the go to guy for the team after such an established player for such a long tenure?

Scoochie Stratton – Ian has still hung around the team a bit when he can and has given me some awesome tips already on what the transition to not only the SMJHL is like, but also the SHL and what I should be focusing on to become a great goaltender. Honestly I am not too nervous about possibly starting so soon. I know I've put in the hard work, and will continue to do so to support my teammates. After talking to our GMs, it seems like they are going to ease me in to the SMJHL which is going to make the transition to go to goaltender an easier one in my first season. Really excited for the opportunity.

Jason Staples – That seems like a really good outlook and expectations. I remember my very first interview was with Karl Krashwagen and he struggled a lot that rookie season, only putting up 4 points. But he kept at it and got better and used to the North American game, any before long he’s found himself in a spot where he’s doing just fine. I’m getting some similar vibes from you. You might not be transitioning to the NA game, but it’s still a massive transition and takes some getting used to. I’m glad to see that Anchorage is prepared to take a patient approach with your development.
It’s a pretty given rumor that goalies are usually strange. Do you have any quirks you would like to disclose?

Scoochie Stratton – Ha I don't think I have too many but that's probably what everyone says. I do think it's pretty quirky that I'm the first goaltender that I know of to have dreads. A few people on the team have been calling me the Dread Pirate so not sure if the nickname will stick yet ha ha. But other than my braids flashing when making saves I'm pretty superstitious about a lot of things. For example, if I have a really good game I'll continue to have the same exact game day meal until I have a bad game, then I switch it up. I think those kind of superstitions I have help me reset my brain after a bad game to get focused on the next. I also like to blast funk music in the LR...not sure if anyone enjoys it yet but I'm going to make them by the end of my time in Anchorage.

Jason Staples – Let me just go on record and say that’s an amazing nickname, and I hope it sticks. At first the dreads looked a bit off putting with your complexion, but honestly you pull it off somehow.
What's the first splurge item you want to buy with your rookie contract?

Scoochie Stratton - I just got engaged recently so I think my fiance and I will splurge just a tiny bit more on the honeymoon side to celebrate our marriage and me being signed to the SMJHL. We haven't picked a spot yet but France and a couple of the Greek Islands are definitely on the list right now that we're narrowing down. Feel free to give us any suggestions!

Jason Staples – Well those sound lovely. And congratulations. Recent Engagement, SMJHL draft, you are in a pretty good spot life wise at the moment, enjoy!
Personally the South of France is a place I’d like to visit one day.
And it looks like I’m out of questions. Thank for very much Scoochie for taking the time to sit down with me and give the readers a little bit of insight on the draft experience!

--Word Count is 2481. Please split pay evenly with @honkerrs as this was a collaboration interview--

Armada

Thanks @CementHands was a pleasure meeting with you!

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

The pleasure is all mine! Smile Thanks for agreeing to it, also thanks to Anchorage management for giving the green light.

03-28-2020, 06:41 PMCementHands Wrote: The pleasure is all mine! Smile Thanks for agreeing to it, also thanks to Anchorage management for giving the green light.

:eyes:

around these parts we call Stratton “starter”

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs