Create Account

Futures: An SMJHL Rookie Interview Series (Part I)
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2020, 08:05 PM by Renomitsu.)

FUTURES: Part I of An SMJHL Rookie Interview Series
by Emilia Bergman

There are a plethora of semi-pro, amateur, and beer hockey leagues across most nations - in fact, among those more affluent, there might be one per province or region. Even with an army of scouts at each SHL team's disposal, there might not be enough time or people to properly scout the next 'great' if stuck deep in the frozen reaches of Siberia or the throes of instability in Myanmar. And yet, every season there comes an SMJHL Draft where executives and head coaches have convinced themselves they've exactly that. They take their big gamble on this so-called next big thing, and they either pan out or fizzle into irrelevance, replaced some two seasons later. Such is the whimsy of the juniors.

Turnover in any minor league is inherently going to occur faster on a per-player basis than the majors; it's part of the challenge that thrills and excites those in management fortunate enough to claim their stake in this Hunger Games equivalent. Prove yourself, or be tossed aside for the next hot hand that presents itself. In this coronavirus-ridden eHockey wasteland, I've had the fortune of flying across North America during off-days amid training camp to hear out some of the most promising -- or beleaguered -- young talents in the dozens-strong family I've had the privilege to join.

Here, I'm pleased to present the interviews of two of the most surprising cases in the juniors. First is sophisticated, introspective Armada defenseman Mathew Sawful; second, the headlining virus of 2020: Cal Covid, a lab-manufactured, rapidly-spreading goalie who will be headlining for the Vancouver Whalers.

Mathew Sawful // @SAwful
Right Defense, Anchorage Armada
Selected 2nd Overall
[Image: VsKnizR.png]
Above image credit to @SAwful !

Emilia Bergman (EB): Has your draft position changed your outlook on the junior league? How do you feel about being drafted so early in the first round?
Mathew Sawful (MS): It feels like it was a much bigger deal than it was. I'm very comfortable with the Armada and they've been great to work with. I guess the long and short of it is that it hasn't affected me and I'm as excited as ever to play.

EB: I know quite a few pundits' mock drafts were up in flames with that pick! I'm glad to see it hasn't affected you much. What's been the most difficult part about adjusting to junior league life?
MS: The hardest thing seems to be balancing both the defensive and offensive aspects of my game. If I want to keep being excellent at both ends of the ice I'm going to need to put in a lot of extra work.

EB: Fair enough! What's changed in your personal life? Is it as much of a whirlwind as we're led to believe?
MS: Honest, not a lot, and I think that's important. I'm still eating and training the same, just in a different place and with different people. It's just that the food is slightly better and the people are more intense.

EB: Well, speaking of place -- you've gone quite the ways out to Anchorage. What have you noticed about the locker room and staff so far?
MS: Anchorage as a city has been great so far. Small but lively! The team is a great group of guys and the alumni are around the locker room often encouraging us. Our staff and management is top notch too, they really know their stuff. It's been really easy to adjust and in no small part due to everyone's hospitality.

EB: This preseason started off a little rough for you, a 4-6 loss to Carolina; the media put a LOT of heat on you in spite of it being a preseason game (and your very first). What lessons did you take from that matchup?
MS: Just to take everything little slower. I walked away from that game having one of the worst defensive showings of my career, there was definitely an adjustment to be had, the players in the SMJHL move faster than I anticipated. The coaching staff sat us down and got everyone's heads straight. Since then I've been much better and the team has been really clicking.

EB: Well, it sure seems like you took that advice to heart, which leads me to my last question: in your third game – a startling 5-1 trouncing of Maine – you put down probably the highlight hit of the pre-season on first overall Mikkel Asmus Sondergard. How'd it feel, and how did he react afterwards?
MS: Ha! He's a pro through and through, he got up and just kept playing his game. I felt like I was having a bit of a rough game and that hit got me going a little. Sometimes some physicality is what you need to get your feet moving.

EB: One last ask before we go, Mr. Sawful - any words for the fans in Anchorage or across the SHL?
MS: I know this is a growing year, but I know we can put it together and do something! This should be a really great year to watch us.

Cal Covid // @Skeleton Party
Goalie, Vancouver Whalers
Selected 5th Overall
[Image: PH6sCxa.jpg]
Above image credit to @SAwful !

EB: There were a few other options as to who to interview but provided the state of affairs I’m not sure I could pass this up (with a hazmat suit, gown, and mask on with decon planned). How are you, Covid?
Cal Covid (nCoV): Living the dream, mon sœur. Thanks for asking! Finished up preseason on a high note. Gearing up for the season. Taking what time I have left over doing charity work. In and out of lots of hospitals these days.

EB: Now, you shocked the world by declaring your eligibility for the SMJHL Draft with just a handful of days to ago. Tell me a little about that decision.
nCoV: I was kind of shopping around, to be honest. Purely international play would have gotten me around the world much more than the SMJHL. But the quality of play in the SHL is so high and it is so dense with talent that I finally decided that declaring for the SMJHL was the proper route for me. I can still compliment my SHL play with international tournaments in order to spread myself around a bit.

EB: A clever strategy fit for Plague, Inc.! What was draft night like?
nCoV: Draft night was intense. Since I declared so late, I wasn't expecting to be in the top 5, or anywhere close to round 1 for that matter. But when that Vegeta/Linkin Park AMV started blasting in the auditorium I felt a rush I had never felt before. I was so excited I kissed everyone with an aisle seat as I made my way up to the stage. Lots of people seemed angry or horrified that I went that high, but they were just jealous. I got to go hang out with the team after that and they welcomed me in as warmly as a bunch of guys in hazmat suits in a clean room could. Definitely a night I will never forget!

EB: And to everyone's surprise, you managed to achieve symbiosis with a whale after being drafted. What was that process like?
nCoV: It all comes down to chemistry for sure. I think the Whalers were preparing for a bit of a rebuilding year, so having someone with a contagious personality can definitely be an asset in the locker room during a long season. That said, I think we are going to do better than the analysts are giving us credit for, and that seems to be a consensus in the locker room. Symbiosis is easy when you all are on the same page like that.

EB: Now that you’re in it for the long run with Vancouver, do you feel as though you have more pressure to perform provided your draft position?
nCoV: No one can put more pressure on me than I do on myself. I obviously want to do well for my teammates and I feel bad if I let them down, but I am way more motivated by wanting to win myself. I hate losing. I hate having bad games.  Those are my motivations and pressures, and my draft stock doesn't factor into that at all.

EB: It’s been a bit of a rough go of things for all rookie goaltenders this pre-season. Your first game was a 1-3 loss to the Timber: what was that experience like? Were players scared to approach the crease?
nCoV: It was pretty routine for me before the game. Obviously this was a bit bigger of a stage, but I followed my normal meditation regimen and felt pretty good skating out onto the ice.

I did get peppered a bit during the game, and the goalie down on the other end was standing on his head. Normally in AAA if I see a goalie showing me up I skate down the ice and beat the Christ out of him, but coach said I can't do that in this league? I think it is barely hockey at that point, but okay.

After the game I was understandably upset, and I was allegedly waiting in the parking lot for a certain someone with a spiked bat. The Whalers front office also allegedly bailed me out of jail for attempted assault and terroristic threats. All I know for sure is he didn't look quite so good in the crease the next day, did he?

EB: I oh, uh geez. I think I might have to pass on answering that question Mr. Covid. Uhh, on the flip side, in your following matchup (a 6-3 win over the Timber), you were the talk of the town after making a startling 41 saves – what changed between from your first game to the second (aside from the alleged offenses from two nights prior)?
nCoV: Jail puts me in a zen mood. Allegedly.

EB: It's a very unique mechanism for centering oneself! Excuse me as I step even further away.
I think that's all of the major questions I have for you today. Any last words for the fans at home, scientists in your original lab, or incorporeal beings from the 6th dimension?
nCoV: I just wanna let everyone know I am so excited for all the packed houses we are going to have once the season starts. I'm more than happy to do meet and greets and do autographs and pictures, so bring the whole family!

EB: Thanks so much for the interview Mr. Covid. I'll be sure to spread the word.

[2,014 words per integrated counter; 1,784 by MS Word
For grading purposes, please split this as follows: 500 words to SAwful, 500 words to Skeleton Party, remainder to me.]

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

this is pretty good!

Very good interview..

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

Great article. Couple studs right here!

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Thanks for being awesome and putting together an amazing interview.

[Image: SAwful.gif]

[Image: 4NkSjIm.png]  ||  [Image: 7bttGDC.png]

Armada  ||  Uk  ||  Wolfpack