Create Account

Inside the Anaheim Locker Room: AJ Patella (X2 First Media)
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 07:39 PM by WarbeastSG.)

Today, I was able to get an interview with one of The Anaheim Outlaws new picks from the draft: Left Defenseman AJ Patella. He was the 35th pick in this season's draft.

I: So, how is it being in Anaheim?
AJ: It's wonderful. I'm sad to leave all of my friends and family behind, but they were really supportive of me making the move, and I've found new family in my teammates. They're all really great people and I'm proud to be a part of this organization. My family and friends made the flight down a couple of games ago to watch me play, which I was really thankful for. Seeing them happy that I've made my dream a reality is a sight that I'll never forget

I: How do you feel about your start, now that we're a couple of games in?
AJ: It's been a tough couple of games, don't get me wrong, but I'm enjoying my time on the ice. I feel me and Andreas Stacks have started to develop pretty good chemistry on and off the ice. I feel I'm getting better every game and I'll be doing a lot better these next few coming up. It wasn't an ideal start, but things are looking up.

I: Who did you look up to growing up?
AJ: Growing up in Texas, we had great players such as Miro Heiskanen, Denis Gurianov, and Roope Hintz. Those were a few players that I looked up to as a kid. My favorite player, though, was always Anton Khudobin. His goaltending was insane and his knack for making acrobatic saves to keep his team in the game was unreal. 

I: Was Texas an easy place to get into hockey?
AJ: I mean, it's not a state known for its hockey players, but my parents really supported me doing this and I kept going. To be in the SHL is always a dream I've always had and now I'm making it come true

I: What's the best feeling about being a rookie player, in your opinion?
AJ: I like being someone nobody really knows a whole lot about; it makes me unpredictable, in a way. I like being a person that the opposition doesn't really know how to handle. 

I: Are you itching to get into the SHL?
AJ: No, not really. Not yet at least. I know I have a long way to go before reaching the big time, and I'll wait as long as I need to before making the final step up. It's a wild ride, and I want to take it all in first.

I: What was the one thing that surprised you the most?
AJ: I'll give you two. One was how many teams were actually interested in me. Getting messages from a bunch of GMs made me really excited. The other is the team itself. The coaches I've dealt with are usually pretty rude and condescending, but Anaheim's coach treats us like people and although he expects the best of us every game, he's never mean about it. The teammates are all supportive of each other and even the higher-ups are pretty relaxed. The veterans are really helping the rookies out, which is really helpful. Just knowing you have people that have been in the game, even for just a season, that can help you out, is an amazing feeling.

I: Lastly, what do you do in your spare time?
AJ: Well, my parents really want me to finish up my education, so I'm taking online classes, which takes up a chunk of my free time. When I am free, though, I like playing games with my friends from back home and playing guitar. I don't get to do it much in between games, training, and schoolwork, but I try to find some time every day.

Outlaws  AJP#34