Create Account

The Armada Charter - Meet the Alternates

**1741 Words - 50% to @KenitohMenara and 25% each to @LairdButler and @Chrisda19 **

With the captain decided in Anchorage, it was time to elect the alternate captains. While not as prestigious as the “C”, alternate captains still have important responsibilities to the team. They are to lead the team like the captain does and be a focal point for the team on the ice. Not to mention as the newly elected team captain, Mitchell van der Heijden had a say in who he wanted to wear the A’s. The players once again voted and an unprecedented situation occurred. While Stan Hanson emerged as a majority voted candidate, both Chris de Siren and Santtu Rasanen tied in votes. GM Max Brannagan, Head Coach Apricot and Captain van der Heijden met to discuss the situation and came to a final decision. Stan Hanson would wear the A full time while Rasanen and de Siren would split responsibilities, Rasanen as Alternate captain for home games while de Siren would do so on away games.

Hanson was an obvious choice for the role. As a player, he joined Mitchell van der Heijden in winning the four star cup for Anchorage during Season 51. When he sat down for his interview, he told us why he felt he emerged as the undisputed Alternate Captain:

“I’m thrilled to be named Alternate Captain. It’s a big honor. think over the last few seasons I’ve built a good rapport with the other guys in the locker room and obviously I’ve worked hard and earned their trust. With that being said, I hope I can live up that trust and help lead this team to the greatness they deserve.”

Santtu and Chris on the other hand are second year pros. They played on the same line as each other last season on “The Rookie Line”. Now a year older and a year more experienced they take on different roles and responsibilities. De Siren has been promoted to first line winger duties while Rasanen takes the Center role on the second line. Both were excited to take on their new roles with the team and talked to the Armada Charter about why they felt they were chosen.

“It's an honor to get the A on the road. It's just my second season, and as you know with yourself, it's going to be a great being able to represent the Armada as an Alternate. I look forward to representing Anchorage through the year with the A on my chest, it's really just an awesome responsibility! I'm not sure why I was chosen to be honest. Perhaps it's the locker room presence I bring, or the steady demeanor I try to exude through the year? Whatever it may be, and yes there are many talented players that also deserve it, I will do my absolute best to be the example everyone has voted me to be.” - Chris de Siren

“I am surprised and honoured to be the Alternate captain for Home games. I didn’t think I would get this role in just my second year with Anchorage but I am very grateful to the team for putting their faith in me for this role. I don’t really don’t know why the team thinks I would be the best as an Alternate captain. Maybe because they think that I am going to have a huge year in points or maybe because they’ve seen improvements in me since I came back from Manhattan. In any event, I intend to prove them right about me.” - Santtu Rasanen

Even with any improvements these three players have made, it will be a tough year for the Armada. With the loss of key pieces, the team has had to scramble for new players. 6 rookies now fill the Armada’s lower ranks and some in the media have said that the Armada’s best chance at another title has already faded. The three new alternates, however, are of a different mindset. They fully well acknowledge that this is a different squad than the one they entered previously but that does not deter their thoughts.

“It's true that this is something of a rebuilding year for us, but I wouldn’t discount any of the new guys just because they are rookies. These guys have been busting ass out on the ice and have shown they have the drive, and the heart to be great players. I’m proud to call each and every one of them my teammates.” - Hanson

“Sure there's a chance the experience inherent to being a rookie can be somewhat a detriment to a deep run, but equally so there's also a chance that that lack of experience at the beginning of the year can be molded by us through steady leadership and training to be a lethal team that'll make a deep run. We won't know until the last period of the year but until then I will work hard to help out our rookies in the locker room with the same care that was given to me last year.” - de Siren

“I know how difficult it will be, I was on a rooke line myself last year. Personally however I don’t care about how experienced you are, I care about if you are going to play your heart out for your team every night. If you have the attitude down, you can overcome any obstacle. I look at those six rookies we have and I have no doubt in my mind that they have bought into the mission. We want to win a trophy and we are going to give it everything to make that happen.” - Rasanen

Stan Hanson believes that giving the Alternate job to both Rasanen and de Siren was the right call. He has watched these two grow with the team since their first season and now that they approach their second season, he has seen how much they’ve changed and how ready they are to take this next big step, believing that the future in Anchorage is bright with them at the helm.

“I’m thrilled for both of those guys. They really and truly are the future of this team, especially since Mitchell (@Bluesfan55) and me will most likely be heading up next season. This will be a great learning experience and hopefully prepare them for what’s to come next season.”

In our previous interview, Mitchell van der Heijden raved about the hockey culture in Anchorage, so we decided that we would pitch this question to his 3 alternates. The answers were very clear, regardless of what some media personnel think of Anchorage (and how some to this day feel the team should still be in Prince George in British Columbia, to the utter annoyance of GM Max Brannagan), Anchorage is a hockey town and the players love it.

“The Hockey culture here is off the f***ing chain. Anchorage loves hockey and we love Anchorage. Home games are always sold out and it's damn near impossible for any of us to go out without getting mobbed by fans. If you eat, breathe, and live Hockey like we do, then this is the place to be. For all you guys looking to break into the J’s next season, Anchorage is the place you want to go.” - Hanson

“It's amazing. We have from the top down a completely awesome organization. We have fun, we work hard, and we're rewarded for our hard work as it clearly shows for us being the new Alternates. Personally I was accepted immediately upon my arrival and it's been an awesome ride since then, and that culture translates to us all. If there's EVER a place any junior player should want to be, it's here. Bar none.” - de Siren

“I’m from another country, I barely spoke english when I got to Anchorage and I was worried how I would be perceived. Then after my first game ended, a family came up to me and asked me if I would like to come to dinner with them sometime. It didn’t matter who I was or where I came from to them, all that mattered was that I was their hockey player. The people of this town are incredible, true hockey die-hards who love their team and their players. A quality organisation from top to bottom and a town that treats you like a family member. That is Anchorage and there is nothing in the world quite like it.” - Rasanen

As the interviews started wrapping up, there was one lingering question. Like van der Heijden, this is probably Hanson’s last ride with the Armada and it will be to players like Rasanen and de Siren to lead the way once they are gone. Like Mitchell, Stan wants one more four star for his trophy case before he waves goodbye for good and de Siren and Rasanen want a trophy to start their legacies in this SHL. They all agreed on one thing, to win it this year would be something truly special.

“I would love nothing more to see this team win the 4 Star Cup this season. Not only because I would be moving up with 2 Cups under my belt, but because each and every one of the guys on the team deserves to know that feeling of being the best. These guys have worked so hard and shown so much heart that no matter what, they are all Winners in my book.” - Hanson

“It would mean the world to me and I'm sure the rest of us too. We live and dream to hoist that cup far above our heads before we hit the majors. It means so much to us as players and it means so much for our fans too. I want to bring the cup to Anchorage and bring honor and glory to us all!!” - de Siren

“Mitchell and Stan did it, I want to do it, I know Chris and Danny want to do it and I know every player on this team wants to bring home that trophy to Anchorage. To lift that cup above my head and to know that for one moment, my team has no equal is what I live for. This is what we spent our days thinking about and with Mitchell and Stan facing their final seasons, I want to do it with the core that won it the first time.” - Rasanen

We wish Stan Hanson, Chris de Siren, Santtu Rasanen and all of the Anchorage Armada luck with the upcoming season.