Create Account

Ranking the SMJHL's Goal Horns

[643 words, ready for grading]

One of the newest additions that came with the switch to live-streaming games on FHM6 was a topic I quite love: goal horns. Teams could pick their custom songs to play when they score, and with every team's horn being revealed as of yesterday, I thought I'd take a listen to each of the ten sounds and see which ones I like best.

1. Colorado Raptors

Link

Colorado was the last team to submit an original goal horn, and I have to say, it's a good thing that they took the time and got it right. The combination of the siren and low horn go together really well, and they added some Raptor flair with the Jurassic Park sounds.

2. Anchorage Armada

Link

The Armada's goal horn comes from the NHL 94 video game, and it works really well with Anchorage's maritime theme. It's catchy and easy to listen to, so I had no problem placing it at second.

3. Kelowna Knights

Link

This is the horn/song combo used by the NHL's Washington Capitals, and I have to say, it works well. I love horn/siren combos, so this one ranks at 3 for me. Anchorage is higher because it fits their team theme better, but Kelowna picked a good one here.

4. Carolina Kraken

Link

I really like the horn, but not having a song to go with it is a miss in my book. If a Kraken-themed song was included to go with it (I would absolutely love to hear "The Kraken" by Hans Zimmer after a goal) it would be higher on the list for sure.

Continuing our list, we arrive at the three teams in the league that opted to forgo a traditional horn in favour of team-flavoured noises:

5. Detroit Falcons

Link

The sounds of endless SKREEing can be heard in the distance. Full points for the originality of using a falcon sound to celebrate goals, but the main reason I'm knocking it down this list are because it is pretty high-pitched and the Falcons are just so brokenly overpowered this season that it'll be burned into my brain before long.

6. Vancouver Whalers

Link

Vancouver opted to use the sounds of Dory speaking whale from Finding Nemo, so props for originality. The only thing knocking it down this list is that the sound file is just too quiet.

7. Newfoundland Berserkers

Link

Rounding out the list of our three "not a regular goal horn" teams, Newfoundland slots in at seventh place. The "ha ha" sound would go really well paired with an actual horn, but this one just doesn't do anything for me.

Next up, we have two teams that use the horn that came with FHM, but added their own songs to it:

8. Maine Timber

Link

Maine and Anaheim are pretty much the same. Both teams use the default goal horn with a song on the end. The Timber get the edge over the Outlaws because "Oh Yeah" by Yello is hilarious to listen to after a goal.

9. Anaheim Outlaws

Link

Similar to Maine, the Outlaws just use the generic Boston Bruins goal horn that came with the game with a song slapped on.

And finally, the one you all knew was coming:

10. St. Louis Scarecrows

Link

I did not hesitate at all to place this one at the bottom of the list. The Scarecrows' horn is just painful to listen to. I do like the Wizard of Oz line and the crow noise, but for the sake of our ears, St. Louis, please get a better horn. There was a mention of a "new and improved" horn to be coming in yesterday's stream chat, but it has not been implemented as of yet.

Feel free to tear me apart in the comment section if and when you disagree with my rankings.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

ha ha is clear #1

obvious bait post

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

I actually really like DETs goal horn. It is exacatly what a fan of a team called the falcons would really be able to get in on. Tig did a good job with that one. As far as the rest of them go, ya STLs is really just annoying at the start. If it didnt have that blare at the beginning it would be great IMO.

Good list

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

I mean yes but I don't see the problem with the base horn because it's already pretty decent :thinking:

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

04-05-2020, 02:01 PMthecanadiancanuck Wrote: 4. Carolina Kraken
If a Kraken-themed song was included to go with it... it would be higher on the list for sure.

We hear you. Not gonna lie, I wanted to do this originally but didn't have the time for it. Check Monday's stream Yeahthat

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

Updated Detroit horn coming Monday, stay tuned. It's a little more conventional

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Dino Horn #1

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

You are right.. we should bring it back.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

04-05-2020, 02:49 PMnotorioustig Wrote: Updated Detroit horn coming Monday, stay tuned. It's a little more conventional

The new Detroit horn will be best in the league, because I made it

skree mutha fucka skree

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]