Create Account

S53 SMJHL PT #3 - Settling In
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2020, 06:56 PM by Gwdjohnson.)

The season is in full swing now, and you're in the thick of the SMJHL lifestyle. How have things been so far in your major junior hockey career?

Written option: Talk about how you have settled into life so far in the SMJHL, on and/or off the ice. How have you performed in this early portion of the season? Has the level of play been a huge adjustment? Are they enjoying the city itself? (These aren't questions you're required to answer; they're just possible prompts) (150+ words).

Graphic option: Make a graphic illustrating how your player has performed in the early part of this season. Must include a photo of your player/render, and five individual statistics of your player so far.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one, not both.)

Only S53 SMJHL Rookies (S54 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

You cannot claim TPE for this PT until a post is made in the global claim thread.

Deadline
Sunday April 12th @ 11:59 PM EST

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Settling into the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League life style has for sure been trial by error! So many games packed into such a small amount of times has for sure made me beat going into each game, but I've been skating windies after every game to try and get my fitness up. Having great coaches and a great team around me has been the biggest thing helping me get acclimated to the next level, for sure. Our coaches try their best to make sure everyone is in tip top shape, sending us for extra trips to the trainers and making sure we're all being fed the most nutritious meals possible to get us recovered. Personally, I've found it tough to adjust to the weather in Kelowna, but I'm sure I'll become acclimated to the cold soon enough. Even being from Maine, and living in Quebec, it's so dang cold in this city! It could be because I spend so much time on the ice now, who knows!

[Image: rotti.gif]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: lazer2.png]

Simon Takshak, seemingly, has been shaken by the larger size of SMJHL hockey. Not the rinks or anything, everyones just... bigger. Taller. Heavier. He can't throw the body as much as he wants to, and its hurting his game quite a bit. Will he switch to a speedy, skilled, scoring game? Will he be seen in the offseason taking height enhancing supplements? Will he go back to Indonesia?

Off the ice, the problems are less severe. Simon has a good grasp of english, and has been enjoying the city of Kelowna. Despite his shoddy play, he's managed to endear himself to the city, frequently visiting and donating to hospitals and food banks. There is a rumour that he checked a small child through the boards once, but these rumours are completely false. Disregard anything you have heard concerning them.

Also, he fell over while skiing and broke like half his ribs which is why hes shit thats the only reason shut the fuck up

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

Coming into the league a little bit late, having missed the draft entirely, was a hard adjustment. A lot of rookies were a step ahead of me already, but I used that to fuel my performance on the ice. Having only played eight games so far, I already have managed to get four assists. It is nice to know that I am already contributing to the team's success even if we aren't winning a lot. My teammates are always there to help me when needed during practice. The city itself has been very kind to me and I have signed a few pucks since joining the team in free agency. Who knows. Maybe I will have a bit of a following by season's end. Popularity is never something you work for but it is a plus when playing the game. Right now the goal is to help the team win games and maybe even make the playoffs. It will be an uphill climb, but I am up to the challenge.

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

One of the biggest adjustments for Stein was the move to America. He has visited a couple of times, but has lived his whole life in Norway. The food is vastly different and the city life has definitely taken some getting used to but he has come to enjoy it. As for the hockey, he feels right at home on the ice. He has always been a quick, agile player so the pace of the game didn't bother him. The skill level of everyone else on the ice is a different story. Nilsen quickly had his ego shut down. He thought he was going to come in and be an all star in the SMJHL and be brought up to the big leagues in a matter of just a few games. Boy was he wrong! It was a humbling experience for him to realize just how good everyone else was and how much work he has to put in to improve. Overall, he has had a relatively good start to the season with 2 goals and 4 assists in 11 games played. Looking forward to the rest of the season to see how he can improve and start to make his name well known.

[Image: image0.jpg][Image: bordon.png]

After a pre-season concluded I had comfort playing on the first line. Playing with Dream and Jimmy Wags was all I had known. Only to start the season playing on the second line with Nilsen and Panda. It felt weird trying to fill the goal scoring roll that Vitek Vitecek had and our coaches must have noticed. Our play in the first two games were lackluster and both our first and second line looked worse than in preseason. Starting the third game Vitek Vitecek and I traded places and our team started to shine again. Being back to the first line was comfortable, tipping pucks that wags and dream throw at the net and our production went back up, I even netted 3 goals 2 assists in our first 8 games. However one of the things a lot of us rookies weren't ready for was the grueling schedule that we were damned to have. We had a lull towards the beginning of our schedule. This gave us a false sense of security, now it feels like we're constantly playing back-to-back nights and often squaring off against teams that are well rested. Being gassed is losing us games...I'm sure we'll continue to work on our conditioning going forward.

It has been a very interesting time settling into the SMJHL. Of course, it is difficult to get used to the higher level of play. Players shoot harder, they skate faster, and overall have great hockey knowledge on the ice. It definitely has been a change from being a top player in the Japan U18 league to a rookie in the SMJHL. The adjustment to the game was certainly a lot harder for Ryosuke Sato as he was immediately put into the top defensive pairing and plays some of the highest amount of minutes among rookies. Regardless, Sato has found himself with 1 goal and 3 assists for 4 points in his first 11 games. His -8 is certainly something he wants to work on moving forward. 

The team around him has definitely made this transition easier as the Whalers have welcomed him with open arms and supported him every step so far. Teammates even spent the time to take Sato around the city to see the best parts of town. Most importantly though, as a result he has found his favourite ramen shop in Vancouver and is now a frequent customer. Overall things have been swell for the young rookie.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Coming into the Major Junior leagues I expected things would be tough, especially entering after the draft but prior to the preseason I found myself having to work hard in order to earn time on the ice. That hard work and dedication is already seeing dividends as I am proving to be a very useful tool in the in the Detroit Falcons line up as a backup goalie to Jobin. The team has helped me out significantly in easing into the league by limiting the amount of shots I face per game to under 22 - and I've rewarded them in return by shutting out the opposing team on two occasions, and only letting one goal go past me in each of the other two games. I know things won't always be this way, so I'm enjoying this time while it lasts and am looking forward to many more challenges going forward in my career.

[Image: Thor-Hockey_2.gif]

What can be said about my time in the SMJHL so far?

I think this would be the perfect time to answer with a sound more than anything. You know that clip they play when someone loses in the Price is right? yeah that one.

I mean realistically I am playing top pairing minutes on one of the weakest junior teams this season. A lot is being expected of a player who has a lot of his peers in the same area as far as skill set goes, so it's really hard to pull away when you are matching up against 2-4 season veterans on other forward lines and blue lines.

Right now Maines GR ranges from 50 to 72 and I am sitting about right in the middle with a 60 rating. The offensive side of the game is left wanting as well as I am in the bottom 4, but the majority of the defense is as well, so its not the end of the world. Lastly is the DGR and I am in the top 4 which makes me feel alittle bit better about it all. The season has lots of games left and time to improve on all these factors and I know I will get there eventually.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

My time in SMJHL has been great so far. Stats wise I’m not doing that bad. 3 goals and 4 assists is not that bad. I ofcourse would wish for more, but I need to keep training and it will be better. I love playing for Carolina, I have great teammates. Currently we are struggling, we have one of the toughest schedules. Most of us are not used for so much games, so we are battling with being tired. Hopefully we can turn things around by the end of the season. I need to be better at producing for our team. So far I believe I was liability on powerplay for my team, even though before the draft I claimed I want to be a huge strength on power play for team that would draft me. I think that direction of our team is only forwards and up.

I also love Charlotte. It’s a lovely city, and I had no problems settling in. If I ever get drafted into the SHL, I want to play on the east coast, so I can visit Charlotte and also watch Kraken play.

Doing a podcast, ask me any question: HERE
[Image: unknown.png][Image: sig.png][Image: viticek.png]
Thanks to @caltroit_red_flames and @sve7en for these amazing sigs!

mom,
Hey, I’ve been in the new apartment with Toki now for a couple weeks and everything seems to be going well.
He’s quiet and keeps to himself most of the time, but so do I, you know that.
I got that quilt you sent up from grandma. It’s very warm. Toki said it reminded him of something going from home. I didn’t really understand most of it. The unit has a washer and dryer so you don’t have to keep telling me how you are worried about me in a laundromat at night.
Oh, a couple of guys were telling me there’s going to be a moms trip in the middle of the season. Cal and Kek were telling me how crazy thier moms are so you should fit right in.
They were also showing me some spots around the neighborhood for food and shopping or whatever, the vets have been really welcoming. Feels like I’m home to some extent. Like comfortable. You know what I mean.
Dad texted me yesterday. Says I look scared on the ice. I don’t feel scared. Maybe it’s subconscious. Now he’s got me thinking. I don’t need to be thinking more. I’m terrible at thinking. Anyway, I’ve been working with the coaches this week on my skating. So hopefully that will help me from feeling sluggish.
Alright I have to go, do me a favor and stop BCCing David on our emails. He can be a prick.
Love you
Joseph

P.s. Toki asked for more cookies

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

[Image: FUmBk7p.png]

Moving from Sweden to the United States has been a confusing transition for Emilia. There are some aspects of life and management in the States she’s found very different than in Scandinavia. In particular, it wasn’t uncommon for management to sit in an area common with the remainder of the non-administrative staff – she was comfortable having a drink out with higher-ups as she was her teammates. She also found it a bit alien that people in the States would leave their shoes on inside their homes – as she would leave them at the door in Jonkoping. Generally, even in Anaheim her neighbors are a bit more open and outwardly friendly to strangers as compared to Sweden – which is certainly something she’s had to adjust to, especially when being recognized by die-hard hockey fans in the city.

On the ice, she’s regarded herself lucky to have a senior mentor in Alex Petrenko, as well as a few teammates in the same position as herself (like James Leblond) – relative unknowns rushed into the spotlight. She’s kept her head down on the ice and tried to shut out external influences, which has kept her focused on her work. Off the ice and in her free time, she’s started a Twitter account which she uses to communicate with friends across the league, though it’s a bit of a slow-growing process.

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

7 preseason games and 12 regular season games have shown Daniel that having great physical attributes and play making skills were not the only skills needed to paving a path of greatness in hockey or life. The nineteen games have taught him to refine his overall game while appreciating the smaller things in life.

Taking extra practice, hitting the gym twice a day, eating healthy, contributing to the community, chores, appreciating family, having a "plan" and setting objectifs. The young man out of Quebec has learned and matured a great deal in the few months since leaving the nest he called home for 18 years. Cuddled and swaddled by parents no longer has pushed him to be an even better person, responsible and humble. With no distractions set forth before him, lies an opportunity for him to take and run with. As the saying goes, "sky is the limit".

Once thought and known purely on his offensive game will change sooner than later, ramping up his calorie intake and workout programs have shown an increase in strength and stamina. Left to see if that well affect in any way his offensive game! At the end of the journey we will benefit from this change and hopefully have achieved his goals or objectifs.

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]