Create Account

Is it time to talk about parity yet?

04-14-2020, 06:17 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote: Theory: St4rface is actually Simon T himself and has joined to try to get us to use his sim engine again so he can mine our data and sell it to China

Explains why I kept getting scammed

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

04-14-2020, 06:17 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote: Theory: St4rface is actually Simon T himself and has joined to try to get us to use his sim engine again so he can mine our data and sell it to China

Nah. I just think he wants to go undrafted forever

to take it back to a serious note for a sec, I preach this every time a discussion like this comes up so let me preach it again here - we shouldn't be making decisions based on 30-game sample sizes. If we could show over a 1000-game simulation that the disparity was massive, the call for parity would be more convincing. (Unfortunately FHM doesn't allow for this sort of mass-testing, so it'd be pretty laborious to actually do that, but that's the sort of data that is necessary for these sorts of discussions.)

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

04-14-2020, 06:26 PMhotdog Wrote: to take it back to a serious note for a sec, I preach this every time a discussion like this comes up so let me preach it again here - we shouldn't be making decisions based on 30-game sample sizes. If we could show over a 1000-game simulation that the disparity was massive, the call for parity would be more convincing. (Unfortunately FHM doesn't allow for this sort of mass-testing, so it'd be pretty laborious to actually do that, but that's the sort of data that is necessary for these sorts of discussions.)

if someone coordinates it we could farm out the test simming across a whole bunch of people to sim single 50-game seasons at a time

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

I ran about 100 test seasons and the same 8 teams made the playoffs every single time

[Image: grogu111-A11.jpg]
norway                             IIHF Team Norway                          norway

04-14-2020, 06:32 PMgoldenglutes Wrote:
04-14-2020, 06:26 PMhotdog Wrote: to take it back to a serious note for a sec, I preach this every time a discussion like this comes up so let me preach it again here - we shouldn't be making decisions based on 30-game sample sizes. If we could show over a 1000-game simulation that the disparity was massive, the call for parity would be more convincing. (Unfortunately FHM doesn't allow for this sort of mass-testing, so it'd be pretty laborious to actually do that, but that's the sort of data that is necessary for these sorts of discussions.)

if someone coordinates it we could farm out the test simming across a whole bunch of people to sim single 50-game seasons at a time

We barely have our shit together to run this site, let alone a bunch of people mass test simming.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 06:48 PM by fishy.)

04-14-2020, 06:35 PMMuerto Wrote: I ran about 100 test seasons and the same 8 teams made the playoffs every single time

Which 8 teams? Test sims I’ve seen had BUF on the outskirts or just barely edging out CHI for the fourth spot so perhaps we should chill on basing anything off test sims?

Just curious FYI not saying you’re wrong or anything

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

I mean regardless the solution wouldn't be changing sim engines, it would be making the regression scale tougher to force teams to go through more cycles of being good and bad.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

04-14-2020, 06:35 PMMuerto Wrote: I ran about 100 test seasons and the same 8 teams made the playoffs every single time

Can we see your data?

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

04-14-2020, 06:47 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:

I mean regardless the solution wouldn't be changing sim engines, it would be making the regression scale tougher to force teams to go through more cycles of being good and bad.
for sure, but to assess the extent of the problem in the first place we need a bigger sample

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Change the update scale

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

04-14-2020, 06:53 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote: Change the update scale

The update scale is already extremely friendly

04-14-2020, 06:56 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:

This is my take on the update scale as well, I get if the site wants to make the SHL a more competitive leauge, but do you want to make it so that a rookie is literally uncompetitive in the J for two seasons to do that? This is a risk that HO will not make just to appease teams that are struggling. In addition, these team literally cant continue to be this bad as the good teams with strong prospect pools will have to either move prospects or roster players in the near future to maintain a 17 player roster.

I don't think anybody wants Ola Wagstrom and Bobby Watson to be as likely as one another to score a hat trick. 2000 TPE should make you a superstar, 1000 TPE should make you a decent middle 6 player or a complementary player on a cup contender.

04-14-2020, 06:56 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:

Make it less friendly after you hit a milestone.

Along with your idea of tougher regression to cycle more players, I'd expedite players getting to a TPE number where they can be serviceable in the SHL, but then slow it down after they hit that number.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland