Create Account

S53 WFT #4 - Make The Case

Ola Wagstrom is the SHL MVP

I agree with this statement. Although Flacko Lagerfield is currently leading right now, Ola plays for the better team in my opinion. New England should win the president trophy and I believe Ola should be able to surpass Flacko very soon as the top points producer.

[Image: 6c148GU.png]
[Image: 1JDgYfw.png]

Code:
A goalie will win the SHL rookie of the year award

For: Seems like the lower the TPE the better the goalies do. Cain and Vilde are the top 2 TPE goalies and are not rated at the top of the league, with the fatigue situation the lower TPE goalies seem to be doing better.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2020, 10:33 AM by notoriousTRON.)

Quote:Someone with fewer than 425 TPE will win the SMJHL MVP award

FOR. It's inevitable at this point right? Second year forward Edward Williams (350 TPE capped) has ridden the Detroit powerhouse team of SKREEing scorers to 48 points through his 32 games. That's a shocking 75 point pace for the season. It's a full 11 points in front of the next player on the list (of course another falcon Kaarlo Kekkonen) with 12 games left to go in the season.

It was hard to figure out Detroit last season when they coasted to the top of the regular season standings in Simon but now they're doing it a 2nd year in a row in a new sim engine and Williams has been the primary beneficiary. His offensive ratings don't immediately jump off of the page; Passing 10, shooting accuracy 10, offensive read 11, puckhandling 12, getting open 13, so it may have more to do with the talent around him. However, his S53 offensive performance as a 2nd year player in juniors is certainly impressive and may set a new high water mark for the FHM era in SMJHL.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

Code:
Detroit will win the 4-Star Cup

FOR. Despite the Karmic implications, @notorioustig is due, and this team is straight up slapping. Since the hot start that everyone is going on about, Detroit is 17-4-1. Those 17 wins are more than only two other teams have ALL YEAR. All but a few of their losses have been games where they outshot and outplayed thier opponents, but FHM decided the opposing goalie would stop 60 shots. Anything can happen, but this team feels like they are on the warpath.

Code:

Code:

This feels like it should be an easy FOR, but I am going AGAINST. Flacko Lagerfield (@JSS) is tearing it up on the Steelhawks in his elderly age. Wagstrom is a superstar, and very well may catch him (5 games in hand at this moment, and 4 points back) but I think Lagerfield gets it despite his trade demand to get away from Gabe.

Code:

Code:
Toronto will "beat out" Tampa Bay for the worst team in the league
FOR. But only so the SHL gods can give Toronto the best lottery odds and then have ML lose the 1st overall pick.

Code:

Code:
Andrej Doskocil is the toughest guy in the SHL
AGAINST. Slip McScruff (@Scrufdaddy) of the Winnipeg Jets is the man you are looking for. Leading the league in grit (hits+SB) he is the toughest and grittiest guy in the SHL now.

Code:

Code:
Someone with fewer than 425 TPE will win the SMJHL MVP award
FOR. Duh. But it will actually be Jobin (@"Awesomecakes") our All Star goalie that will win MVP. Or maybe that Williams scrub, IDK.

Code:

Code:
The New Orleans Specters will be the best SHL team to miss the playoffs
FOR. I don't think there is any way that they catch up to San Fran, especially looking at the goal differential, the Pride have a clear advantage over NO unless they choke down the stretch.

Code:

Code:
A goalie will win the SHL rookie of the year award
AGAINST. I think that one of them should win, but I also think that they will end up splitting votes from committee members, and that Ivan Maximus will end up taking home the award, just by virtue of being the only skater. He deserves it with 28 points so far, but his -14 is ugly. Probably due to playing on Texas though.

Code:

Code:
The player with the most assists in this season will have the most assists in a season in SHL history (current record is Elias Armia's 60 from the Inflation Era in S11)
AGAINST. No one is currently on pace to do this, and I don't buy anyone picking it up enough to catch the record. We may have a few that are close, but no one will get 60.

Code:

Code:
One team (Texas or New England) will finish the season without a single OT Loss
This is tempting because New England could straight up dominate the fools, and Texas could be so bad that they get blown out most of the time, but I am choosing AGAINST. It has to happen, especially with fatigue, that either NE will go to OT and lose with a lesser team, or Texas will force OT against a better but tired team and lose.

Code:

Code:
The SMJHL's West is better than the East
AGAINST. Just because there is more parity in the West does not make them better. The East has Detroit, head and shoulders the best team in the league. St. Louis also has the most TPE by team after trading for Indigo Trevino, and are a solid squad with a 425 goalie. They are probably the two best teams on paper, with Kelowna coming in third. Newfoundland has been outperforming their TPE, and while Carolina and Maine have not been good this year, points wise they are about on par with the bottom of the West. 

Code:

Code:
The Los Angeles Panthers will finish the regular season atop the Western Conference
FOR. LAP has some filthy depth, and I think they get it done. They are in a virtual dead heat in terms of points and goal differential with Edmonton, but LA will get it done on the backs of their superstars.

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

Toronto will "beat out" Tampa Bay for the worst team in the league

Disagree. Just because ML has been trying so hard to be the worst for so long. One day you'll get there buddy. One day. Plus, I haven't looked at the sim in a while, but I'm confident TB will keep on sucking.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

Quote:Detroit will win the 4-Star Cup

Against. We have seen this time and time again out of Detroit. They do superb in the regular season, one of their guys is way above the rest of the league in scoring and will likely win the MVP, but then when it comes to the playoffs those same players disappear. A Jobin, while making the ASG and having an insane GAA, does not have the save percentage to keep it up. Once a team finds out how to get shots on net against Detroit, their season will likely end.

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

Code:
For: Edward Williams is leading the league in points, assists and hits and is top ten in shots on goal. He's a second year 350 capped player.  Also, looking at the top two goalies in the league as candidates, A. Jobin is also an S53 350 capped player, while Cillian Kavanaugh is an S52 425 capped player, so still 2 of 3 potential candidates under 425. 

Code:
The player with the most assists in this season will have the most assists in a season in SHL history (current record is Elias Armia's 60 from the Inflation Era in S11)
Against: It doesn't look like it. Edward Williams has 29 assists in 32 games to lead the SJMHL, putting him on pace to score 45 assists. Slap McShotty has 32 assists in 33 games to lead the SHL which puts him on pace for about 50 assists.  It's possible that it could happen but it would require several games with multiple assists to bring the pace over an assist per game. 

Code:
The Los Angeles Panthers will finish the regular season atop the Western Conference
Against: In this case, it's not that I don't think it will or can happen, but rather right now it's too hard to make that prediction or "make the case" for it.  Edmonton is only 4 points back with two games in hand, so they can certainly catch them.  They basically have identical records with LAP at 25-8-3 and EDM at 23-8-3 with two games less played.

[Image: hudson.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2020, 11:44 AM by bluesfan55.)

Detroit will win the 4-Star Cup

Against. They may have two of the best players in the SMJHL in Kaarlo Kekkonen and Edward Williams but the Falcons have chinks in their armor, and can be beaten if outplayed physically and outshot. Some teams have outplayed them (Carolina have some statement wins against them) so I think Detroit will win the East, but either Kelowna or Anchorage stack up well against them so I don't think they'll win. Jobin also has unsustainable stats in net so if he cools off at the wrong time the Falcons are screwed.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

The New Orleans Specters will be the best SHL team to miss the playoffs

I'm going to say against. With how close the western conference is right now with their top 5 teams it's definitely possible. Though with NOLA hitting our stride a little more lately we have now tied for the last playoff spot with a game in hand. If we keep our current momentum I think we can get into that last place (or maybe even 3rd, though not as likely) and leave the best team to miss moniker to someone else.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2020, 11:43 AM by bluesfan55.)

04-17-2020, 10:32 AMnotoriousTRON Wrote:
Quote:Someone with fewer than 425 TPE will win the SMJHL MVP award

FOR. It's inevitable at this point right? Second year forward Edward Williams (350 TPE capped) has ridden the Detroit powerhouse team of SKREEing scorers to 48 points through his 32 games. That's a shocking 75 point pace for the season. It's a full 11 points in front of the next player on the list (of course another falcon Kaarlo Kekkonen) with 12 games left to go in the season.

It was hard to figure out Detroit last season when they coasted to the top of the regular season standings in Simon but now they're doing it a 2nd year in a row in a new sim engine and Williams has been the primary beneficiary. His offensive ratings don't immediately jump off of the page; Passing 10, shooting accuracy 10, offensive read 11, puckhandling 12, getting open 13, so it may have more to do with the talent around him. However, his S53 offensive performance as a 2nd year player in juniors is certainly impressive and may set a new high water mark for the FHM era in SMJHL.

Against.
Williams can't keep this up for much longer, can he? His success is due to fellow MVP candidate Kaarlo Kekkonen, over 425, and Kekkonen could maybe pass Williams. Ruslan Zaporozhets and Mitchell van der Heijden (who could've been considered a candidate for MVP until a recent slump) both have outside shots and are over 425. Cilian Kavanagh, a goalie to be considered, is over 425 too. If Edwards drops off, which could happen, a 425 player, most likely one of the names I listed, will win the award.

My boy Edward Williams is a shoe in for SMJHL MVP. He brings his all to the ice every afternoon for games, and every morning for practice.  In the first 32 games of the season, Edward is sitting at 19 goals and 29 assists. He leads the SMJHL in both of these categories. In points, he has 48, the #2 overall in points has only 37 total and that is fellow Detroit Falcon Kaarlo Kekkonen. Not only in Scoring, but Edward leads the league in Penalty minutes with 81. 81 Penalty minutes and he STILL leads the league in every point category. When it comes to Hits, edward is not afraid to take the body either. He is #1 in the League in hits with a whopping 143. Just 23 ahead of teammate Burlok Sulfurgold and 41 ahead of Valentin Kalashnikov.

There is no other player in the league that deserves the SMJHL MVP award other than Mr. Williams. 

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

04-17-2020, 11:39 AMTheDangaZone Wrote: The New Orleans Specters will be the best SHL team to miss the playoffs

I'm going to say against. With how close the western conference is right now with their top 5 teams it's definitely possible. Though with NOLA hitting our stride a little more lately we have now tied for the last playoff spot with a game in hand. If we keep our current momentum I think we can get into that last place (or maybe even 3rd, though not as likely) and leave the best team to miss moniker to someone else.

Well, I'm against this against.
New Orleans is the unluckiest team in the league and while they may be hitting their stride I don't think they're going to squeeze in. The stars have underperformed and the depth just hasn't been there this season to suggest that a playoff appearance is deserved. Poor Cain has had to stand on his head some games to keep them in it.

Code:
Lagerfield and Wagstrom are neck and neck in points, and while Lagerfield has a larger gap between himself and his next teammate, the goal total by Wagstrom is too hard to ignore. 7 goals ahead of the next guy and 9 clear of Lagerfield, I think he's the front runner short of Lagerfield going off an increasing the point gap, which is only 1 right now.

Code:
Going in to the season these guys weren't even on my radar over the likes of Calgary, Edmonton and New Orleans, but they've been on fire as of late. 4 points clear of the 2nd place Blizzard you have to like their chances with just 14 games remaining, but Edmonton does have 2 games in hand. I think they'll close that 4 point gap and surpass the Panthers.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

One team (Texas or New England) will finish the season without a single OT Loss

For - I am going to argue for New England for this one. They are absolutely dominant with this new sim engine and I can't see them losing a single OT game all season. They are a unit of a team and I think are obviously up there as the team to beat.

[Image: Bk1689.gif]

Code:

For: I think Wagstrom will definitely get the most Mandarin Validation Points (MVP). He's a huge proponent of China, the greatest - nobody better - if China had a spokesperson, it'd be this guy Wagstrom. Yuge fan.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget