Create Account

Mid season recap with Taylor Johansson

Code:
708 words

It has been a less than ideal start to the season for the Anaheim Outlaws, but they have had a nice stretch the second half of the season. They are still running at a goal deficit on the season but it has vastly improved over the course of the season. They are currently sitting at 4th in the standings, only 3 points behind second place. After starting out 4-5-1 with a -10 GD they have gone 15-9 over the last 24 games. This also includes a record of 8-2 in the last 10 with a GD of 32-30. The defense has been better down the stretch and the team has continued to thrive on the offensive end, scoring near the top of the league (behind Detroit of course). 

Taylor Johansson has had a more productive season this year. A far cry from his 24 game pointless streak to start his career, but still not without an amazing streak to start the year. It took until game 34, and 43 shots on goal, but Taylor finally got that first elusive goal of the season. His shot percentage still sits at a lowly 2.27% but maybe the first one was all he needed. On the season he has 1 Goal 15 Assists for 16 points on the season.  The 15 assists puts him in a tie for second on the team and a tie for 14th in the league. Despite the lack of goals on the season, Taylor continues to make up for his game in other areas. He has more takeaways than giveaways and has the 3rd best overall team grade and defensive grade. So while the puck may not be bouncing his way all of the time he has continued to limit the mistakes and position himself correctly on defense.  Taylor has been lethal on the power play, an Anaheim trademark, supplying 6 power play assists. We caught up with Taylor to get his thoughts on the season just after the all-star break finished up. 

The season started off a little slow for you guys. How have things changed lately?

Well we have been playing pretty loose as of late. I think we had a lot of new pieces and younger guys getting playing time so we just needed to mesh. The captains have done a great job of keeping everyone on point.

Last year it took around 24 games to get your first point. This year you have been getting a good amount of assists but it took 34 games for your first goal. That had to feel good? 

Honestly it was pretty funny. The guys in the locker room put a piñata in my locker to make fun of my lack of goals this year. I got a pretty good kick out of that. We actually had been placing bets as to when it would happen. Let’s just say I’m glad that’s over with and we can get back to winning some games.

Were you disappointed you didn’t make an all-star squad this year?

Yes and no. I definitely am not as deserving as the guys on that roster. They are having great years. At the same time it just adds fuel to the fire. Not only do I want to win, I want to be the best. To be the best I have to go out there day in and day out and show I belong. I proved I can stick in this league, now I just have to show that I’m one of the best in this league and I can’t wait to show it. Anaheim took a chance on me and I’m doing everything I can to win while I’m here.

Any thoughts on the playoffs as they come up?

Detroit is a scary team. Right now we are right in the thick of things for best of the rest so just to get a top 4 seed would be awesome. We were fourth last year and look how that ended up. But it’s a different team and a different year so I’m sure people will pick against us with our flaws and we will have to go out there and prove them wrong. But you know what they say, anything can happen.

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]