Create Account

Cuffy Suspension
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 04:19 PM by nour.)

Hi, SHL Co-Commissioner nour here,

Site Member @Cuffy used an ableist slur in GroupMe's recent site ban. I'll link it here for visibility's sake:

Infraction

Here's a rule you guys have read 5 times already this week:

Code:
3. Personal Attacks/Forum Related Discipline
a. Personal attacks, excessive trolling and trolling in a malicious way, baiting and spamming, racist or homophobic remarks, general hate speech and any other types of comments that are meant to slander members of a certain religious, ethnic group, or those with disabilities will not be tolerated.

Not much else to say that hasn't been said in the past in regards to conduct violations.

The punishment for Cuffy is as follows:

- Suspension of Cuffy’s player Skipper Joe of 3 games upon signing with/being drafted to their SMJHL team
- Cuffy will receive a one week forum posting ban, which will allow him to view the forums but will be unable to post for the duration of the ban. This ban will begin this afternoon, Sunday, April 19th at 4:00PM EST and will run until the following Sunday, April 26th at 6:00PM EST.

I don't entirely know what else to say. This is getting to be tiresome to deal with but again, its a 0 tolerance policy towards hate speech and language that belittles the oppressed. We've seen this week how the words that have gotten these users suspended have affected people on the site, as these are subjects that hit close to home for them, whether for family reasons, or due to their line of work. I know the stuff I'm saying is either falling on ears that know this already, or ears that are deaf to hearing this kind of stuff, but if even one person who doesn't understand this is now able to see why the words they use can have such a negative impact to the general populace, then it's worth it. We're not talking about words like "moron" or "idiot", we're talking about words that dehumanize and belittle people who do go through the struggles that those words represent. Please, to everyone, keep that in mind with the language you use.

Locking this thread because keeping them open has done more harm than good the last few days it seems.

Thank you,
SHL Head Office

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**