Create Account

S53 SMJHL PT #5 - Knowing Your Opposition

The season is about two thirds of the way done now at the time of posting this, and you've played against the same nine teams a few times by now.  Have you noticed that you're having success against a certain team, goalie or skater on the other team consistently? Or inversely, do you keep having issues against a certain goalie or team that just seems to turn it up when they're playing you or your team?

Task

Written option: Describe the success or problems your team and/or player are having against a certain team, a certain goalie, or a certain player (150+ words).

Graphic option: Make a graph showing which team your team has performed best or worst against. Include at least 3 stats showing the disparity between the teams, and include the teams' logos.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one, not both.)

Only S53 SMJHL Rookies (S54 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

You cannot claim TPE for this PT until a post is made in the global claim thread.

Deadline
Sunday April 26th @ 11:59 PM EST

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Detroit is basically untouchable. I could focus on Klompus alone but really, Newfoundland and the rest of the SMJHL also have the same problem. It seems that the Falcons are the favourites to win the Four Star but I'm hoping that we will be able to stop them. I have always disliked Detroit since my days as the Montreal Impact GM back in S7 but now those feelings are resurfacing because Detroit basically has the SMJHL in a strangle hold.

League, we need to come together and figure out how to stop this team. There are three hours until the deadline and big things can still happen. Trade your stars to the Berserkers for nothing in return. Know that you're doing your part to stop the Falcons and forever find peace with that. In the meantime, I will do whatever I can by continuing to improve Klompus and someday get a multiple-point game against the Detroit. When that happens I will finally be at peace.

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

We are at this point in the season and Thorbjörn only has 15 points. It's a bit of a disappointment, was definitely expecting to have more, but it is what it is. I will look at his game logs and determine which teams are actually allowing this trash bag scrub to score points on them so that they can be publicly shamed.

My first two points of the season were against the Detroit Falcons. I got two assists that game. Detroit ended up winning, but they allowed me to get two assists so did they really? Anaheim allowed me to get an assist in a 7-1 blowing. The team scored 7 goals and I only got one point. Tough scene. 

Thorbjörn's first goal of the season came in a 6-3 routing of the Carolina Kraken. He must still be mad about the team leaving Montreal. My second goal came in a 3-1 defeat of the Raptors, who at the time still did not have a logo in FHM. I don't know what was more embarrassing for them - not having a logo for the sim or allowing this total scrub to get the game winning goal against them. Many games and still no logo later and the Raptors let Thorbjörn score again. I think I can conclusively say that he hates the Raptors, and perhaps all dinosaurs (since he believes they never existed) and will therefore perform the best against Colorado. This has been my ted talk, thank you.

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/glswenson.gif[/img]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/agentchadjohnson.gif[/img]

Carolina Kraken are doing great especially against one team. Detroit Falcons. Yup, you heard it right. And especially Vítek Víteček who is point per game against them. Thank you Detroit for keeping me in the rookie of the year race!

Carolina in this season is known for losing a lot. But I personally love to play against one team. Detroit. They certainly have a lot of hype and why shouldn't they? They definitely deserve it, they are one of the best teams SMJHL ever saw. Carolina Kraken is the type of team that doesn't get scared though. They won a back-to-back matches against Detroit. In the first match Vítek Víteček scored a game winner with 13 seconds left in the third period. In the next match the whole team dominated Detroit which resulted in a Kraken 5:2 win. So I am definitely looking forward to our next match against Detroit. Not saying we are going to win, but obviously I hope we will. It's gonna be an amazing competitive match because Carolina will try to surprise everyone once again and Detroit will try not to get embarassed... once again. Vítek Víteček also loves to score on Jobin by the way.

Doing a podcast, ask me any question: HERE
[Image: unknown.png][Image: sig.png][Image: viticek.png]
Thanks to @caltroit_red_flames and @sve7en for these amazing sigs!

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 10:23 PM by Thor.)

Who have we had success against? Well really, it would definitely be shorter to talk about who we've had trouble against - especially in my case as the backup goalie, as the only game I've played in that we lost was against Maine where I let 4 go by me. In fact, out of the 17 total goals I've allowed on the season - Maine have scored 7 of them. However, I'd prefer to talk today about the success I have seen against St. Louis, where in the three games I've played against the Scarecrows they've only managed to score a total of 4 goals. Over these three games I had a goalie rating of 80, 61 and 84 - two of which are in my top 5 games of the season. If I had the same success against the rest of the league as I do against St. Louis, I would have a sv% of 0.940 - good enough to lead the league, and along with a league leading (though, I already lead the league with 1.42) GAA of 1.33.

We'll have to wait and see if they can dull my shine, but so far they've had no success.

[Image: Thor-Hockey_2.gif]

Ask Keahi about his season, or how he is doing against certain teams, and you'll get the same answer. "Shit." Looking at his stats, it'll be a head-scratcher. For his rookie season so far, the island native has a stat line of six goals, six assists, minus three, twelve penalty minutes, 49 hits, and 44 shots blocked in 35 games. If you ask how that's bad, he'll make it clear for you. Points don't matter to him, what matters is playing physical and helping the team. Against all the teams in the league, Keahi believes he has been under-performing. One the most disappointing things for Keahi this season is his lack of fights. "I want to fight, but I'm not going to drop without reason. When there is a reason, I can hear the coach telling me to stay calm, it isn't the right time. Mentally it's tough, I'm one of the PK guys, I can't be dumb." the rookie forward said.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

PBE AFFILIATE

[Image: lazer2.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2020, 01:34 AM by hockeyiscool.)

Starting the season off we had quite a youthful group and it showed with our results. It felt like every team was beating us. Through smothering us in possession and shots. Even though Frans Eller has been a stud for us between the pipes, there's only so much he can do with a bunch of greenhorns vs some teams full of SHL ready players. In particular, the St. Louis Scarecrows have been especially difficult for us to overcome. Their roster is full of veterans that have matured into SHL ready players and their forward core seems to constantly pick our pockets leading to a shot heavy game and when Eller is facing 45-60 shots a night, it's no surprise that we'll struggle with the Scarecrows. With us being the bottom of the league in standings it took something dramatic for our offense to get going. Oddly enough, that spark seems to have come from Eller getting suspended. That 3 game hiatus seemed to be enough for Eller to center his thoughts and our offense to learn give him the support he deserves.  It showed by coming back and defeating the League leading Detroit Falcons in two straight games, and the Kraken winning 6 of the last 9.

PBE PT 18-0 Welfare

[Image: 1PU6YuX.png]
         [Image: JiycRrd.png]

While we have never played against this player yet this season, I think a newcomer on Detroit will be serious problem for the Raptors for the remainder of the season : Henrik Lundqvist Jr. He's been one of our best players this season and was particularly hot just before being traded. He had recently started centering our first line and was doing so with great success : he is close to having score one point per game since the lines were changed.

What's more, I think he is going to be a nightmare for me on a personnal level. As a defensive center, his offensive skill is yet another threat on the Detroit roster I will be tasked to keep watch of, but he's most importantly be a problem in the faceoff circle. My own success rate has been on the decline lately, but I took it well knowing that another Raptor was up there with me. Now he passed me and he passed to the enemy. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to keep up with him.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Well looking back, so far we have clearly had the most success against the St. Louis Scarecrows. This might be weird as you might think it would be someone like Colorado or Carolina, but no definitely we love to play the Scarecrows. Where I have really noticed it writing our game recaps, is on the scoring side of each game. We never seem to have a problem scoring against the Scarecrows, with the least amount of goals we have scored against them being 3 and that was only once. I think that is quite crazy, that having them played on so many occasions, that other than the one time where we scored 3 goals, every other game we have scored 4 or more goals. So it seems that we have definitely figured their goalies out or that they have not been eating their oatmeal on our matchdays, because there are definitely some improvements that they could make. So I am definitely hoping for more games against the Crows!

[Image: MrEjaPX.png]

[Image: M6lTFl2.jpg]

The London Knights have proven to be a very tough opponent for the Newfoundland Berserkers. They play a tough style of hockey that is hard to break through. Their defense stands strong like overlapping plates of steel. Our individualistic passion filled attacks have a hard time breaking through this disciplined force. The success we have had against them comes from bruit strength. If we can force them into the corners and get them on the ground we can find holes in their defense. Fighting in the dirty areas down in the muck does not go well for a team that relies so heavily on structure.

We’ve also found that their colour scheme is annoying. Every time we walk into the rink we have an argument about if we are in London or Kelowna. The logo and colours are just so damn similar it confuses anyone who grew up in Ontario and is familiar with the highly successful OHL club. Overall London Knights is hard to play against and terrible for team moral.

Words: 172

Also ur not a good person.

PBE PT

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

For my PT this week I'm going to talk about the Kelowna Knights relationship with the Anchorage Armada. This whole season Anchorage has been ahead of us, and for the first few meetings they dominated us in every game. Winning against them seemed legitimately impossible until we got our first one, and that win seems to be the one that has changed the tides early on in the season. We've recently won back to back games against the Armada, and are now just 4 points back from the lead in the Western conference. If things keep the way they're going, there's a good change we could end up being in the lead of the West by the end of the season. A few big updates from rookies are giving some big time hope in the Knights locker room, and Anchorage better be ready for some crazed dogs out on the ice during the playoff push.

[Image: rotti.gif]

The Detroit team has been a pain in everyone's asses all season long. For the most stacked team in the league, they have found great success exploiting their roster to dominate the league. The Newfoundland Berserkers cringe every time we have to play them. It hasn't turned out well on many levels.

As a rookie that is barely capable of playing in this league, I find it scary as hell to go against just about every team. With low skills and really no upside, I really struggle against the better teams.

Back to the Detroit team. How on earth can a team be so good when there are so many teams in the league? Do they offer something that other teams don't have? Pole dancers and free beer after every game? Amazing how they are in a league of their own compared to most other teams. Some crazy talent all bundled on one team. Should be a rule against it, unless I am on said team.