Create Account

S53 SMJHL PT #5 - Knowing Your Opposition

As like for most of the league the Detroit Falcons have been absolutely unstoppable this season as pretty much every SMJHL team has a losing record against them. With only four regulation losses so far, the league needs to figure a way to start beating the Falcons or else they will be bound to run away with the four star cup.

The Berserkers have yet to beat them this season and have had some of their most lop sided defeats against Detroit. One of the major reason for constantly losing to Detroit is the fact that they have greatly out shot Newfoundland and dominated the time on attack in every single game the two teams have played which is a recipe for disaster for the Berserkers. It has not been one player or even a handful that need to step up their game but rather as a unit the Newfoundland Berserkers need to have all four of their forward lines, third defensive pairing and goaltender rolling on their A game in order to finally come up with a win against the Falcons.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Great question, we seem to be a two headed monster! The first 14 games of the season we could not find any consistency to our game, due to the fact of scheduling not in our favor and also the lack of fitness from our roster. We have since been working on what we can control, and that was our fitness level. The scheduling seems to have come back to a more normal breakdown and with both issues resolved, the team has been unstoppable. Flying under the radar as some would say with a 16-5-0 record, while shutting out the opposition 5 times in that stretch! Daniel Laforest also has manged to get on some sort of groove picking up his first goal of his SMJHL career. First 14 games saw him with only 2 assists while the last 21 games have been a little more productive with a total of 1g-6a. The most disappointing and repulsive stat in his eyes......although he is a pass first kind of guy.....his shooting percentage sits at the very bottom of the league with a ratio of 2,04%. And now he goes to bury his head somewhere!

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

It's obvious that Detroit Falcons are ''hard nut'' for each SMJHL team. For Raptors it's individual thing, because almost each game versus this team have ended pretty close. No victories versus this team - just pretty close game which is lost in the end of the game. We all know that it hurts in all sports.

Falcons always are first team who scores and it allows them to feel the game better. Raptors always find a way how to score, but it's like bad luck when starts last minutes of the regular time. Multiple times we have lost in this season, just because of mistakes in last minutes and in all games versus Falcons, have happened the same.

Falcons are great team and it's obvious that they already have Four Star Cup halfly in their hands, but it still hurts to lose in last minutes or even seconds. We can't even steal at least one point from them and it's a really big problems. Each point can help before Play Offs to get better spot.

(174 words)

Stars Stars Stars
[Image: aumy3.png]

St. Louis has had a very difficult time with the Detroit Falcons. Of course, it seems that every team has had a problem against Detroit who seemed poised to win the East division and run there way to the championship. St. Louis has tried to change tactics, lines and even goalies against Detroit, but none of it has worked. No matter where they have played, Detroit has won every game. The last three games have been a closer, and the change in tactics may be starting to work, but it will be a very difficult match-up when they play. Detroit just seems to be out working, out shooting and out defending St. Louis and St. Louis has not had the benefit of any lucky bounces go there way which could help bring them a victory. There is one last game that they play against each other and we shall see if a different tactic set-up could work, though if history is any indication, the answer is probably not.

[Image: KKnxMHo.png]
Thanks Carpy

[Image: mnrsZwM.png]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

With having played against each team in the league at least 2 times, the Vancouver Whalers have found great success against the Newfoundland Berserkers. In the two games that the teams have played each other, the Whalers find themselves with two wins after a 4-2 victory at home and a 2-0 victory on the road. Looking at the stats, it seems the team does especially well against the Berserkers' top defensive line consisting of veteran Jukka Timonen and rookie defenseman Tinke Jutila. In their first game, Timonen and Jutila had a minus 2 while in the second game they were a minus 1. Their plus/minus were the worst for their team in the respective games and both were held pointless. On the Whalers, the top players were Luke Spinelli and Stracimir Petrovic who both had a goal and 2 assists for 3 points in the two games. Ending off the season, the Vancouver Whalers play the Newfoundland Berserkers an additional 2 times and the Whalers are definitely looking to continue their good play against the Berserkers.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

up until recently, anchorage was oir kryptonite. we had a shitty start to the season, and the boats in particular took advantage, stomping us whenever we met.

but the knights seem to have turned the season around, and have started stomping the boat gang as well, winning convincing back to back matches that a month earlier wouldve been scheduled losses. active rookies have chipped in, as keahl and scott come online, and ebenezer virtanen plays like a god on defense. simon takshak remains a 300 pound dead weight on the team.

anyway, now we sit right on their heels for the top spot in the west, and remain hot as hell. with any luck, by the time playoffs roll around, kelowna will have home ice through the finals.

at any rate, it seems inevitable that we will meet again come ploofs, the only question being who will win. itll be us, of course.

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

Success for Raptors this season is word what nobody knows. Last place in our conference shows it all and it is pretty, pretty sad. But as a rookie, I have some success individually. I went undrafted to Raptors and now I am here - craziest statistics in my team

I am rookie with less than 250 tpe and now I sit on 6 goals and 7 assists which is really impressive and shocking for me. I haven't put a lot of job in my player or something but he is showing his fangs and doing crazy things on ice

Half of my points are versus Carolina Kraken which shows that I have pretty big success versus this special team. Multiple assists versus them and goals as well. That just shows that I am really good versus Kraken team

I don't know what type of success or problems have our team in general but my player individually is doing pretty great. I didn't expect him to be so good in this first season

[Image: QqjQFxx.png]
[Image: zdXC6eb.png] [Image: 8b7dmkE.png]

Carolina as a team has not had too great of a season on paper. With only 12 wins in 39 games we have had a rough go at everything. Something funny I have noticed is that in our four games against Vancouver the final score has been 4 to 2 except for the most recent one which ended 1 to 2. There is one team that has been putting us on blast all season long though. That is the St. Louis Scarecrows. These guys have averaged 5.2 goals against us in 5 games. An absolutely astounding number! It seems whatever schemes they are running is throwing our defense into the dirt. We can't seem to get any stops once they get to our side of the ice. The Scarecrows do have an insanely good first line of players though, no discredit to that. These guys put their heart and soul onto the ice every game and it just seems that with how many rookies we have here in Carolina just can't compete with the more senior team that is St. Louis. Hopefully with the two remaining games against these guys we can come back in full force and show them just what a bunch of newbies can do!

[Image: panico.png]

I think our team has been playing very well against opponents like Maine Timber and Colorado Raptors especially. For some reason unknown to me, our team has almost every time won against these teams mentioned above. I guess there are a lot of rookies in all the teams that we have built kinda of a rivalry, without noticing. After all we are going to be in the same Major draft at the end of the season, so we want to give out our best in these situations where we play against each other. I think big contribution to this is our goalie, Cal Amundsen who has been phenomenal through the season. Another rookie who has been very good in these game especially is our 1st pairing dman, Tinke Jutila, who has recorded very good defensive plays, averaging around 85 Defensive Game Rating in these particular games. This might contribute to the overall success of our team

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

Overall, the Anaheim Outlaws have had reasonable success against teams not named the Detroit Falcons throughout the season - which they owe much of their 23-16-3 record to. But the Kelowna Knights have been responsible for several of the team's losses this season, including the last five matchups -- which have ended 3-4, 0-5, 6-5 (SO), 1-3, and 2-3 in chronological order. That leaves the Outlaws with a 1-3-1 record, easily one of their worst this season (Detroit again notwithstanding).

There are a few obvious culprits for these losses - and it's been a series of defensive lapses that have allowed Kelowna to seize the advantage. The top few on the list are a series of forwards - Jaska Seppala and Rocco Berni being principle among them. Seppala in particular has tallied a 16% shot conversion rate this season -- and with 106 shots on goal this season, that's a spectacular metric. Another culprit, especially on the powerplay, has been Berni, who's managed all six of his powerplay points this season as assists while accumulating a paltry 4 PIMs in spite of tallying 37 hits. Throw on top of that a remarkable 13 takeaways and forty-six shot blocks (more than many of his best defensive teammates), and there's little question as to why Kelowna has the edge on Anaheim this season (sadly).

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

For most teams this season, the Falcons have been who they struggle against the most. The Kraken, however, have been lucky enough to be successful against Detroit a few times despite our general lack of success throughout the entire season. We were even able to get a win in one of our four games against Anchorage as well. But there’s one team in our conference that we’ve particularly had trouble against: the St. Louis Scarecrows.

So far this season, Carolina has played St. Louis six times. The Kraken won the first game thanks to a close overtime victory, but since then the Scarecrows have been absolutely dominant. The next three games were in St. Louis, and the home team won 5-1, then 7-2, and then 8-1. No other team has scored 8 goals against the Kraken this season. In fact, there was only one other game this season in which a team scored 8 goals. That team? The St. Louis Scarecrows, in a 8-3 win against Maine. Over the course of the six games that Carolina and St. Louis have played this season, the Scarecrows have scored 30 goals to the Kraken’s 8. For a comparison to the other Eastern Conference teams performances against the Kraken, Detroit has scored 14, Newfoundland has scored 17, and Maine has scored 15. No other team has caused nearly as much trouble for the Carolina Kraken as the St. Louis Scarecrows.

Past players:
(S3) C/D - Turd Ferguson (HOF)
(S7) LW - Anton Wagner
(S13) RW - Christian Bauer
(S18) D - Turd Ferguson, Jr.
(S30) D - William Goddard

Despite only having 14 points in the 51 games of this season, Konrad Danke has somehow managed 3 points in his last 2 games against the Newfoundland Berserkers, one of the pre-eminent teams in the league and one that surprised quite a few with their good performance this season despite having so many rookies. Danke had felt, going into the draft, that he was likely to be taken by this team, so it is hardly a surprise that he's wanted to prove himself to a team that has been overlooking him. Furthermore, because the team does have a lot of players that were drafted in his same draft class, its offered a great chance to pit himself among his competitors for top spots in the incoming SHL draft. Despite no longer having Indigo Trevino as one of the team's wingers, the weakness of the goalies and centers of the Berserkers has allowed Danke to win his matchups and contribute to points for his teammates despite not overwhelmingly good offensive stats, showing that in the future as long as he is a high TPE player his build will allow him to contribute on both sides of the ice.

[Image: zNTg4Ew.png]
thanks @suavemente !

PBE PT

[Image: bouch22.jpg?ex=65381617&is=6525a117&hm=6...178839271&] [Image: VGl3CB4.png]

As a brand new player coming in the SHJHL two-thirds of the way into it, I don't have much experience or knowledge against which team we are beating or losing against. Althought my player hasn't been on the ice or has much experience, my team got my back with the support. I have a lot of respect for name redacted as he is probably the illest goalie I've seen to date as we had almost 50 shots against by the Detroit team! It was honestly amazing that he blocked so many shots. I guess our main opposition would be the Kelowna Knights  Knights as they are the number one team in the Western Division. They won a game today against the Vancouver Whalers  Whalers today by 3 points! The total score was 4-1 so I can safely say they are an amazing team and we just need to buckle down and get on the ice to beat them. I hope I can get better and help out the team, I'll continue to train to be a great player my teammates can rely on. 

183 Words  Whalers  Whalers  Whalers