Create Account

S53 SMJHL PT #5 - Knowing Your Opposition

When you're in an intense battle for a play off position and also just to make sure you get yourself out of the basement it's very key to play well against those teams around you in the standings. You need to take your opportunities against more equal competition and capitalize.

While we're in the midst of a battle with teams like Newfoundland and Colorado for league standings, we are in a direct battle with Maine in our Eastern Conference. Luckily for us, even though we sit with just 15 wins on the season thus far, we've been able to grab wins against Maine 4 times. Currently sitting just 3 points behind them in the standings. If we lose 1 or 2 of those games, we end up 7 to 11 points back which at this point would almost seem insurmountable.

With a few games left of the schedule against teams in our vicinity of the standings, these games will be the most important for us to get our points when we need them.

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2020, 10:04 AM by SAwful.)

The St. Louis Scarecrows are like some kind of kryptonite for the Anchorage Armada. Over the course of 4 games (so far) this season, the Armada have not beaten the Scarecrows and have even been shutout once. For a team with a very similar record at this point, it seems that when they step on the ice against us they're just able to find another gear and keep the pressure up, always finding holes in the defense and keeping our better players from finding the back of the net. I'm not sure what about this match-up is so hard for us, but I think it just might have to do with 4 rookies on defense just not able to keep pace in these games. The season series between the 2 teams has been a sweep, and it's a hard pill to swallow. They were just better than us this year and it's frustrating to say that.

[Image: SAwful.gif]

[Image: 4NkSjIm.png]  ||  [Image: 7bttGDC.png]

Armada  ||  Uk  ||  Wolfpack

This one I think is easy. The one problem the Detroit falcons have had this season is Carolina kraken. It sounds silly if you are just looking at the numbers. But the kraken has been a real problem for the falcons this season. Especially goaltender frans eller. He has been phenomenal against the falcons facing more shots than most and making tremendous and numerous saves. That’s being said, their last matchup did not go too well for the kraken. And with this shaping up to maybe be round one in the playoffs, these good games between these teams may be far from over this season.

I don’t think the kraken will be able to hang with the falcons in a playoffs series but it has been interesting that there was an issue with the matchup. Not an issue for Carolina obviously. It should give them a lot of confidence if they do make it into the playoffs.

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

As a Rookie, I've been in awe of the entire SMJHL experience. Being on a defending Champion does indeed have that bulls eye on your back on a night in, night out basis. Like anyone else this season, if you come up against the Falcons, you're most likely to get SKREE'd on. However, the Kelowna Knights have also been a major thorn for the Outlaws this season. We've only taken three points out of a possible ten in our past five games. We will need to battle harder against the Knights to have any shot at a repeat. Why I do think the Outlaws will have a shot to be a major contender still this season will be the goaltending duo of Strom Chamberlain and Separa Borro, which I still feel is the best goalie tandem in the entire SMJHL.

Through late November and early December, the Vancouver Whalers held a 5-7 point advantage over the Colorado Raptors for the last playoff spot in the west. They did so despite having games in hand.  Since gaining that lead, Vancouver has performed absolutely abysmally against Colorado.  As of January 12, Colorado has 3 points over the Whalers, while the Whalers have 2 games in hand…the lead Vancouver enjoyed has completely evaporated.  What makes it funny is that Vancouver has no problem getting offense going and logging shots against the Raptors, while maintaining offense has been a huge issue for the Whalers against pretty much every other team.  The shots have been mostly equal, but defensively Vancouver just can’t get up to task against the Raptors. The leading ball-dropper among the defensive breakdown is yours truly, ███ ██████, with stellar overall save percentages melting away against the Raptors for some reason.  It is truly puzzling.

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]

The Vancouver Whalers have found success against every team this season, absolutely tormenting any goalie who has been brave enough to stand in net against them. A large part of this is due to the Whalers complete team, from the first forward line, to the last defensive line, every player is ready to play every single night against any team. Whalers have had particular success against the Newfoundland Berserkers, managing to completely shut down their offense. This in large part due to Berserkers winger SLATT Potts being completely shut down by Whalers defender Sammy Koa. Koa has shadowed Potts every time he has stepped on the ice and has become like a really bad dream that you have over and over. Potts probably checks his bed at night for Koa, that's how scary Koa’s presence has been in games against Newfoundland this season. Be on the lookout for Koa to continue to shutdown other star wingers, especially as playoffs approach.

[Image: 6Xj1IWG.png]

Player Page || Update Thread || Signatures

[Image: PoQh1Wx.png] [Image: rmu9FS0.png][Image: VxdFjLy.png][Image: QKcW3J4.png] [Image: RoypPRF.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: zuck_1.jpg]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png][Image: Citadel-NAVY-Wavy-Line-65K.gif][Image: qzGJBye.png]

As of many teams in the SMJHL, the Detroit Falcons have been the achilles for not just the New Foundland Berserkers as a whole... But for Cale Amundsen period. However, there is a weird twist as they always seem to start their backup whenever I am in net. Maybe he has some voodoo on the young netminder? Who knows... Regardless, you need to be able to overcome the intangibles to be great. With a recent win against the Falcons, we got some of our courage back... but as Cale sat on the bench and watched, he couldn't help but be happy for his team. Even for a regular season win and not even being on the ice, it definitely will have an impact on a potential playoff match up. Going into the post-season knowing there is a chance of winning, will at least provide some form of light moving forward. Now if Cale can just stand tall when needed.

[Image: Wally.png]

For some reason, didn't realize this before this PT, the Saint Louis Scarecrows have defeated us (the Armada) every game this season so far. They even have been able to shut us out in one of the games as well. Elizabeth Doyle is the most veteran goalie in the juniors so maybe she is just able to get inside our head and we are gripping our sticks too tight or something. Not too sure what is going on since we have beaten the best teams in this league and have been on top of our division.

One team that we have their number though are the Colorado Raptors. Only 1 of our games against our division rival have even been close but other than that the games have been mostly blow outs. It is interesting because Colorado has the most experienced duo in the league but we seem to have no issue with them. Part of it is that our owner said we would be benched if we lost to Colorado so obviously no one on our team wanted to be benched, thanks management!

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

The Kraken are a rebuilding team - we've seen little success in regards to totally SWEEPING teams in the season series. With that being said, when it comes to dropping the mitts - Adam Friedland has been a dominating force. Friedland leagues the league with 12 fights - for perspective, second place is Valentin Kaleshnikov with 4 fights. Friedland has managed to go undefeated, tying 3 and winning 9. (75% win rate). This 75% win rate tops the league.

Coming into the season, Friedland did not get much interest in the free agent market - with one GM referring to him as "dead weight" due to his heavy dependance on fighting. Friedland makes an impact and dominates the entire league with his big body presence and psychological edge. Toki Wortooth of Detroit is the only player with a higher win rate - but Toki only has 2 fights under his belt, yet to drop them with Friedland.

Fight win percentages among SMJHL players (3 fights or more):

Friedland (CAR) - 75% (12 fights)
Kaleshnikov (MET) - 25% (4 Fights)
Lespineau (STL) - 0% (3 Fights)
----------------------------- (2 fights):
Wartooth (DET) - 100%
Snail (VAN) - 0%
Atake (NL) - 50%
Skog (COL) - 50%

Friedland is decidedly dominant, registering more fight wins than the 6 players listed. Nobody can make an argument that he's not one of the most impactful players in the J.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM by Count Chocula.)

[Image: A7yJ282.png]

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

The race for the final playoff spot in the East has been very tight between the Carolina Kraken and Maine Timber. These two teams have been fighting for the position for nearly the entire season, and they both know it. The head between these two teams are all tied with each team winning four of the eight games they have played against each other. Maine came out strong winning 3 out of the first 4 match-ups and winning the first two games pretty handily with a score of 4-1 in both games. That didn't discourage Carolina though, with their eyes on the prize of that final playoff spot, they have came back and beaten Maine in their last 2 games to give themselves the best chance possible at the playoffs. It has been a wild ride for both these teams, it has been crazy close. Who will earn their right at a chance for the cup? Only time will tell.

[Image: image0.jpg][Image: bordon.png]

04-19-2020, 07:10 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: The season is about two thirds of the way done now at the time of posting this, and you've played against the same nine teams a few times by now.  Have you noticed that you're having success against a certain team, goalie or skater on the other team consistently? Or inversely, do you keep having issues against a certain goalie or team that just seems to turn it up when they're playing you or your team?

Task

Written option: Describe the success or problems your team and/or player are having against a certain team, a certain goalie, or a certain player (150+ words).

Graphic option: Make a graph showing which team your team has performed best or worst against. Include at least 3 stats showing the disparity between the teams, and include the teams' logos.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one, not both.)

Only S53 SMJHL Rookies (S54 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

You cannot claim TPE for this PT until a post is made in the global claim thread.

Deadline
Sunday April 26th @ 11:59 PM EST
The team I seem to be having the most trouble with currently is our rival, Detroit. I know they are one of the better teams in the league but I would have hoped to perform just a bit better. It;s hard to do so when you are playing rookie minutes so I am not too concerned. Hopefully I can change this when I get more playing time and maybe some more TPE. On the other hand, I think Carolina is the team I have had the most success against. I can't be completely certain but i believe they are the team. I remember scoring against them once or twice and killing a few penalties. That is really the best part of my game is not being a liability. It's being a defensive forward that sets me apart because I can be a benefit on both sides of the ice.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 11:22 PM by moonlight.)

The Carolina Kraken are currently 17-28 with three over time losses. Unfortunately they’re in the same division as the top team in the league, the Detroit Falcons. The Detroit Falcons currently have one of the best regular season win loss records in SMJHL history. The East will be won by the Falcons, that much is known. What’s unknown is if the Kraken will manage to get the last playoff spot against the Maine Timber. The Falcons have done serious damage against the Kraken, specifically when it comes to the scoring. The Kraken have let up the most goals in the entire league and a handful have come from the Falcons who have scored a league leading 194 goals on the season. What also makes the Falcons hard to beat is that they’ve let in the least amount of goals in the league and yes, the Kraken are currently second last in GF. In short, the Kraken are easily dominated by the Falcons league leading GF mark and league low GA mark.

[Image: moonlightSHL.gif]

[Image: zFE0mSA.png][Image: xc2IPJy.png][Image: HKi05IH.png]

We, the Vancouver Whalers, have had so much trouble this season with the Anchorage Armada. We are currently sitting at 2-5 in the season series against them. We came out of the gate hot and took the win in the first game of the season but it has been downhill since. Our biggest problem is our penalty kill as they have cost us so many goals this season and we just keep taking penalties. The goal differential against Anchorage is at -9 through the seven games played. There have been some blowouts but they have overall had our butts throughout the season. They are second in the division for a reason, and I guess the same goes with us being the bottom feeders. Our offense just finds a way to not score and takes constant penalties, leaving us at a disadvantage often. It is frustrating but it is fuel for upcoming seasons.

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]