Create Account

Slate Declares for Draft

Liam Slate Declares for Draft

On April 19th, 2020 Welsh teenager Liam Slate officially declared himself eligible for the S54 SMJHL Draft. His season in the EIHL had been officially canceled, therefore relieving him of his obligations to his home club. On the same day, his mentor and agent Sami Owens retired from the SHL. While declaring himself eligible for the draft, the next step will be to see if an SMJHL team comes calling on April 21st at noon to sign Slate for their cup run. If signed, Slate will be eligible to play for a said team and will still be drafted in the offseason. It would be a great experience for Slate to be signed and given a chance to acclimatize himself to the league, but it is not the end of the world if he remains unsigned.

“I think the important thing is to focus on the draft. I would love to sign with a team if they come calling, but I am not going to expect to be signed that this point. I know teams are pretty full, have chemistry already and maybe not enough budget. I know if I was to sign I would likely be just a depth piece and not getting many minutes. As great it would be to get exposure to a new league early; I just cannot expect to be signed at this point. I am an unknown right now. I am just looking forward to the draft and getting myself ready both mentally and physically.”

[Image: victor-olofsson-sabres-contract-frolunda...height=223]

So, why did Slate not declare earlier? Well, he had this to say…

“The main reason I did not declare earlier was that it was a really tough decision. Declaring for the SMJHL draft was basically a life-changing decision. I had to consider a lot of things which including moving away from home and parents as well as moving across the pond. Even though it was my decision, I had to consider my family as well as I respect my parents a lot. I knew regardless of my decision they would support me, but I wanted to make sure I heard their thoughts as well. Based on everything I made the decision to follow my heart and to follow my dream of becoming a professional North American hockey player.”

With his commitment to the SMJHL, Slate now becomes a hot topic in the SMJHL circles. Coming from a decently known agency with the Tylar Agency, Slate may be one of the top prospects in the draft. With name recognition, comes reputation which Slate may have to shake off the “mediocre” reputation his representation has built over the years. One thing in his favor is that his representation is mostly well-liked across the league as well as longevity in the league. But, other well known, and even better agencies in the SHL circle are bringing over eligible prospects as well. Slate will have a lot of competition for draft position and attention leading up to the draft.

Code:
501 Words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup