Chapter 5 - Collect $200 when you Pass Go
Chapter 6 - Best Served Cold
Chapter 7 - Lucky Guy
Chapter 8 - The Mid-Day Move
Chapter 9 - The Day the Earth Stood Still
Chapter 10 - Rumors

Chapter 11 

Against All Odds

The smell of fresh-cut grass wafted through the air as Knox Booth leaned forward against the railing. The race track had been prepared early that morning and given the utmost care and precision. Every white line that divided the horses was distinct, and the dirt that the thoroughbreds were to run on appeared so fresh it were as though the Earth had opened up and birthed new land. The outer rim of the race track was lined with grass that was emerald green, and each bead of it had been trimmed to the same length with all of it moving rhythmically with the wind.

Knox had arrived early, as soon as the doors had opened, and although he knew that the races weren't set to begin for yet a couple of hours from now- he couldn't fight off his impatience any longer. Knox had done his research and traced his father's footsteps back to this very race track and one thing was clear, his father had done a lot of business with someone by the name of Daniel Murphy. The Los Angeles Police Department had reached out and worked with the local Vancouver Police in the hopes that a mutual investigation could be undertaken, but when the trail of Daniel Murphy fell flat- so did the investigation.

Being that Knox had been busy with the season, he hadn't been given an opportunity to search for Daniel Murphy himself. But since Knox had started the majority of games for the Panthers, he had been told last week that he would be sharing the net with Nolan McMahon for the final stretch of the season. It was decision by the team that inadvertently opened up a window of opportunity for Knox, and the moment he saw it on his calendar he booked his flight to Vancouver.

Knox had thought about this very moment a thousand times over, contemplated what he would do when he got here, who he would try and talk to. But now that he was actually here, he hadn't the first clue what to do and felt helpless. Every time he had imagined this moment he had envisioned it going so easy, but how do you find someone who doesn't want to be found? How do you find someone that the even the Police couldn't locate?

Knox turned from the track and gazed up at the booking booth, looking for any sign of people who he may want to talk to, but he couldn't see anyone of interest- in fact, there was hardly anyone here. Knox wasn't surprised by that, and he had anticipated the place being slow but usually, when there's a place to gamble, there's a crowd. Knox walked toward the booking booth, feeling the sun brush against him as it began its ascent through the sky, and knowing that by midday it would be much warmer than it is now. Knox had taken the time to study some of the horses on his flight over. They were a mixed bag with a few sure bets and a lot of home runs, should you bet right that is. A bet on a horse isn't as always as simple as just choosing a winner, you can do all sorts of add on's and Knox was a clear amateur when it came to navigating the betting world. But this in of itself was what Knox was banking on. Any con can spot a mark, and Knox was going to attempt to telegraph that message to all that he could.

If there was one thing that Knox could say that he learned from his father, it would be the art of lying. On many occasions, Knox had front row seats to the many performances his father put on for people. Some days his father was a widower just trying to take care of his child, and on others, he was a war veteran who had been injured in the line of duty. He was whatever he needed to be to get what he needed from you. Now, Knox wasn't one to follow in his father's footsteps, and if it had been only his father who had been shot that day he wouldn't be here in the first place. But this Daniel Murphy had killed his mother, and there wasn't anyone who was going to get away with that.

"Excuse me, madam," Knox said as he leaned into the booking booth, and spoke through the small slit in the Plexiglas that separated Knox from the booking agent, "I'm really thinking about going all-in on Big Thunder, but something tells me that Phoenix Rising also has a good chance," Knox held up the pamphlet for the race track so that the booking agent could see the page he was on, "Can you tell me what these numbers mean?"

"Absolutely sir," the agent said as she leaned forward and spoke into a microphone, her voice sounding slightly digital, "There are different types of wagers you can choose from. There are straight wagers or exotic-"

"You can listen to her or you can listen to me," Knox turned to face a man who was standing a few feet behind him. The man was of average build, about six feet tall with a receding hairline. He was dressed in white slacks with a blue collared shirt and was cleanly shaven, and stretched wide across his face was a shark's grin. "The difference between her and me is that I'll win you money."

Knox returned the smile before he looked back at the booking agent, "Thank you, I'll be back in a few moments." Knox turned toward the man and outstretched his hand, "My name is Michael, but you can call me Mike."

"Nice to meet you," the man shook his hand, "I'm Jay, but you can call me Jay," the man named Jay said to him as he smiled again, and Knox noticed just how white his teeth were. They were unnaturally white, so much so that they almost sparkled in the morning light. Knox wondered just how Jay had managed to whiten his teeth to such a degree, but he didn't dare ask. Knox wanted Jay to stick around and he was hopeful that Jay would be his the very connection he needed in order to find out who Daniel Murphy was.

"Thanks Jay," Knox said as he returned another smile and looked back down at his pamphlet, "I'm been reading this all morning but I don't feel any closer to making a decision."

"Can I see that for a moment?" Jay asked.

"Sure," Knox handed it to him.

Jay tore the pamphlet in half in front of Knox and then threw it into the trash bin a few feet away, "That's the best use for it, that or toilet paper," Jay laughed lightly to himself before he cleared his throat, and then motioned for Knox to follow him, "Listen, I could spend all week with you trying to explain the in's and out's of this game, or you could just do exactly as I say and if you win- I get a cut."

"What kind of cut are we talking about?" Knox asked, trying to sound genuinely curious.

"The first time out, I get twenty-five percent, every time you come back and use my services I get fifteen."

"Twenty-five percent sounds pretty high, how do I know we'll win?"

"You don't," Jay said flatly, "Every bet has a risk, but what if I told you I was a consistent winner? What if I told you that I'll all but guarantee a win for you today?"

"Then I'm interested."

"I'm just that, Mike, I'm a winner. I know these horses, and today I got my eyes on a particular horse in a particular race. Look, I can tell you have a bit of money," Jay pointed to Knox's shoes, "Italian leather, those were custom made," Jay's eyes slowly moved up, "Those slacks were custom fit, and that watch you have on is about the price of my car. So what I want to know from you, is how much are you willing to put down?"

"I'm listening," Knox told him.

"If you really want to do some damage and take home some money to be happy about, we need to put down a substantial bet, and I'm not talking about just a thousand dollars. I'm talking more in the thousands." Jay could see that Knox was hanging on every word, so he continued, "I don't want to lie to you Mike, I saw you when you first walked in, and I watched you go down to that track. I can tell your serious, and I want to be serious when I say this, okay? Because I'm a serious person, and I'm telling you right now that if you put down ten thousand dollars today, you'll more than double it. Does that sound like something you'd want to do?"

Knox nodded, "Yes," and without thinking Knox's hand drifted to his back pocket and touched the outline of his wallet.

Jay watched as Knox's body language changed and he smiled wide, "Can I buy you a drink?" Jay asked him.

"I was about to ask you the same," Knox said as he smiled back at him.

"A lot of people spend their whole lives studying the game, following the horses," Jay said to Knox as he sipped on a pint of beer, "But I don't give two shits about the horses, Mike, you know who I pay attention to?"

Knox gulped back on his cocktail, a tequila sunrise, chosen specifically to indicate to Jay that he was as soft as soap, "Who?" Knox asked him.

"The jockeys," Jay said as he looked off in the distance in a moment of self-gratification, "They're as twisted as a spring," Jay laughed to himself, reliving a memory that Knox would never be privy to, "And they're as easy to manipulate as a child in a candy store." Jay leaned in toward Knox, his voice quieting down, "Most of these jockey's are a real mess, they get by week to week on a paycheque, and when they cash it in they can't wait to waste it on something as sweet as this," Jay tapped on his pint of beer, "And that's where I come in, Mike. That's where me and those jockey's see eye to eye."

"How so?" Knox asked.

Jay laughed, "Well if I told you all of my secrets I'd have to kill you," Jay winked at him and Knox faked a laugh in an effort to seem like they were bonding. "Listen, they're as weak as anybody, and there's very few people in this world that can't be bought. The scum that sit on these horses come cheap, and they come often."

"So, you've fixed a race?" Knox asked with a hint of nervousness to his tone.

"I didn't say that, now did I?" Jay asked rhetorically, "I'm just saying that there are some races that are easier to guess than others, and that's where you come in." Jay's eyes squinted, his body became more rigid and he straightened his back as though to emphasize the seriousness of what he was about to say. "The truth is Mike, is that I don't have the kind of capital that a man such as you has. That's why I need you to help me, and in return, I'm going to help us. Hell, if I had the kind of money that you have, I wouldn't be having a drink with you right now. But you and I are about to be business partners for the day, so I want to be clear on what my motivations are."

Knox held up his hands, "Totally understandable, I think I keep coming back to the same thought. You're a believable guy, Jay, and I want to believe in what you're saying. I just don't want to lose ten thousand dollars today."

"How much were you willing to lose before you talked to me?" Jay asked.

Knox thought about it, "I'm not sure."

"You must have had a number in your head before you got here, you seem like a thoughtful person, how much were you thinking?"

Knox paused to indicate that he was really thinking about Jay's question, "I mean, maybe half that?"

"Okay, so you were willing to lose five thousand dollars?"

"Sure," Knox said, "I guess."

"Okay, well I'm telling you now that if you trust me, and do what I say- we'll win. And listen, I'm a fair guy, okay Mike? I'll tell you what, if we lose, I'll give you back half of your bet. I'll give you five thousand dollars. What do you say to that?"

Knox smiled, "You've got yourself a deal," Knox reached over and outstretched his hand, and both he and Jay shook hands.

"Now, I'm going to tell you exactly what to say when you return to that booking booth, follow my instructions and come back with the ticket. Understand?"

Knox had initially wanted to go down to the track to watch the race but Jay had insisted that they sit in the stands. "You don't want to draw too much attention to yourself," Jay told him as they sat down on the hard wooden benches, "And there's no sense in seeing the horses up close, it's not going to change anything. The real seat in this house is here, this is where you get a view of the whole track, and it's here that you can celebrate our win without too many eyes watching you. We're in the mix, and you always want to be in the mix, Mike, okay?"

"Yes," Knox said in agreement.

"Now, our race is up next, and if we win I don't want you to stand up, not right away, okay?"

"Yeah," Knox said, "No problem."

"When we win, you wait at least five minutes before you get up, and after you cash out I'll meet you on the outside of the track, at the edge of the Eastern parking lot, do you know where that is?"

"Yes," Knox told him.

"Good," Jay said as he stood up, "Enjoy the race, I'll see you soon."

"Wait," Knox said before he stopped himself from reaching out and grabbing ahold of Jay, "What if we lose?"

Jay smiled, "Then I won't be seeing you again Mike, but I'm pretty sure," Jay drifted off for a moment as his eyes moved to the race track, "I'm pretty sure," Jay repeated as his eyes drifted back to Knox, "That I will."

"Okay," Knox nodded, "Hope to see you soon."

BAM

The gates that acted as barriers for the thoroughbreds pulled back and in an instant, the horses were afoot. The heads of the horses and bodies of the jockey's that rode them moved up and down as the horses raced forward. In a mere matter of seconds, the distances between the racers had been defined and it was clear who among the horses were ahead of the pack. Knox looked down at his ticket to re-read the horse's name that he had bet on, Phoenix Rising. It was a horse he had an interest in even before talking to Jay due to the winning streak the horse had been on, and already it appeared as though Phoenix Rising had this race in hand. Knox watched with amazement as two other horses closed in on Phoenix Rising, and without realizing it, Knox had stood from his seat and was practically leaning over the person seated in front of him to watch. It was only a moment before one of the two horses trailing Phoenix Rising dropped off, and now it appeared to be a two-headed race between Phoenix Rising and Big Thunder. Knox smiled to himself, it was the two horses he was already planning to look at that Jay had recommended, but Knox wasn't here to win this race- he was here to win over Jay.

Knox couldn't help himself and as Phoenix Rising crossed the finish line he let off a loud yell of excitement and fist-pumped the air. Fortunately for Knox, Jay wasn't around to witness his discretion, or at least Knox couldn't see him so he didn't feel bad about his brief moment of celebration. Knox sat back down and tried to calm the beating of his heart as he waited out the five minutes, and then finally he stood from the bench and headed to the cash out booth. After receiving his money in the form of cash and a bag. Knox asked for an extra bag and when he was given one he tucked the bag inside of his pant pocket and exited the race track as soon as he could. Knox followed the signs that led to the Eastern parking lot and it didn't take him long to spot Jay in the distance, waiting for him.

As Knox approached Jay, his smile was wide and victorious, "You guessed right," Knox told him as he came within speaking distance.

"It's an art," Jay said before he grinned, "You cashed out?"

"I got your twenty-five percent, I put it in this," Knox handed Jay one of the bags, and in it was five thousand dollars.

Jay took the bag and opened it slightly to peek in, once he was satisfied he looked back at Knox and said, "Thanks, Knox." Knox's eyes went wide and sweat began to form on his brow as he debated what to say next. "It's okay," Jay told him, "You don't have to say anything, just come with me." Jay motioned to a car that was idling a few feet away, the windows were tinted and he could not see if anyone else was inside.

"What if I don't want to?" Knox asked him.

Jay revealed a revolver he had tucked inside his shirt, just under his belt buckle, "We all have to do things we don't want to, even me. C'mon, time to go for a ride." Jay led Knox to the vehicle and opened up the back door for him, inside Knox could see two men, both of them looked like private security or ex-marines. "Hop in," Jay instructed, and Knox did as told, with the only seat open being the spot between the two men.

Knox remained silent as the vehicle drove away and he became even more alarmed when Jay did not get in the vehicle with them, and instead, Knox was able to watch as Jay walked back toward the race track. The quiet in the vehicle was so loud it was deafening and all Knox could hear was the sound of his heartbeat seemingly ramming against his head. Knox was scared, and he didn't have a weapon.
How foolish he had been to assume he didn't need one.

The driver of the vehicle adjusted the rearview mirror so that he could see Knox's face but also so that Knox could not see his, only his eyes. The driver had cold brown eyes that bore down on him in the mirror, and Knox didn't dare speak before spoken to. "Why did you come here today, Knox Booth?"

"To win," Knox's answer was quick and pointed.

"Something tells me that isn't the whole truth," The driver replied as he placed his right blinker on, and slowed to turn the vehicle.

"Are you Daniel Murphy?" Knox asked, unsure of how to bring up the subject and figuring that he ought to come out with it now and not after any of his bones have been broken.

The driver laugh was deep and sounded genuine, it was obvious that Knox's question had amused him. However, the two men seated beside Knox remained silent, "No," the driver told him, "And you won't find a Daniel Murphy around here."

"Where can I find him?"

CRACK

A fist from one of the men seated beside him struck Knox hard across the face, but it was so hard and fast he couldn't determine who had thrown the punch, and in the end- it wouldn't matter anyway.

"There is no Daniel Murphy."

"Then who are you?" Knox asked as he tasted blood, his lip was cut and his right eye was already beginning to swell.

"I knew your father," the driver told him, "I also knew about you, and so when you walked into the track this morning and told our songbird that you were named Mike, I knew you had an agenda." The driver stopped the vehicle but didn't turn around to face Knox, "That's why we went along." Knox took a quick look outside the windows to notice that they had pulled in an what looked like an industrial area of the city, and it seemed as though they were next to an abandoned derelict warehouse. "Your father owed me a lot of money, some of which I got back, and the rest of which I'm going to get back today." The man seated to Knox's left reached into Knox's pocket and pulled out the bag that had the remainder of Knox's winnings, "So I thank you for that, Knox. You're better at paying your debts than your Dad was."

"Who are you!?" Knox couldn't help but let the words escape his mouth.

CRACK

Another punch, just as hard as the first and it came with so much force that Knox was nearly knocked unconscious.

"It doesn't matter," the driver replied, "But I'm a fair man, and I know that you have lost when it comes to your recently departed loved ones. So I will spare your life today, this one and only time. Consider all debts paid." The driver unlocked the doors of the vehicle but neither of the men beside Knox moved. The driver continued, "But I am also a man who doesn't like to leave loose ends, and I need to make sure that you take me seriously. So hear me now, if you ever come back here again, I'll kill you. Just like I did your Daddy, and just like I did to your Momma." Knox's fists tightened with anger but he could do or say nothing, he was in shock and struggling to come to terms with what was happening. "I want to give you a parting gift because I want you to remember what I'm about to say. There is no Daniel Murphy, there never was and there never will be. Your parents are dead and gone, accept it and move on. Now get out of my car."

Knox followed the instruction and attempted to climb out of the vehicle before he was stopped by the man to his left, "What are you doing?" Knox asked, "You said you weren't going to kill me."

"They won't," the driver told him, "They're just going to hurt you, enough for you to remember the pain for a long time. Now you can get out."

The two men opened each door and just as Knox was about to follow he was instead grabbed by the man on the right and dragged out of the vehicle. The two men shut the door to the car and as it sped away Knox was able to read the license plate - CA7 62X - before he was struck again, hard across his face. As Knox fell to the cement he was kicked with repeated blows, one after the other, to all parts of his body. It wasn't long before Knox began to lose consciousness, and just before he passed out the last image he saw was the heel of one of the man's shoes coming down upon his head.

3959 words

[Image: p82ugau.png]

+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria