Create Account

Force SMJHL teams to cut IA's to sign DFAs

It sucks to not even get messages but I expected not to get a roster spot as a goalie. That cool million would be nice but it is what it is. We are scrubs, we shouldn't force teams to drop better players.

I've brought it up in HO over the last couple days and they're trying to work on some kind of tournament/simming for the DFAs to play in so you guys have something to do in the near-ish future. I do also agree that GM's should be more conscious about cutting some of their worst inactives, but to "require" that teams drop inactives for guys whose rights they wouldn't even retain would be a bad requirement.

I think there's also a balance to be struck between in the "winning is secondary to retention" argument. I agree - retention is key. However, imagine being a first gen SMJHLer and your team is in a contending spot and suddenly numerous inactives are replaced with 4 games left in the season by 155 tpe recreates looking to get an early headstart. Is that good for retention? Success is a great motivator to stick around in the league and ravaging rosters right before playoffs probably isn't great for it.

Something like what's been done by some teams (e.g. with WBF/DET, NL/Tylar) where you sign them & have them just hang out is great. Expanded roster size for playoffs or just not having DFAs not count towards the roster limit (they already don't count to the cap, so why not?) could also work. There's an issue of having to create them in the sim though etc.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Not 100% how the cap system works, or if rookies would even be cool with this, but it would be nice for 1st gen players to have access to a team's LR even if they weren't "signed" or officially on the team. In my experience, the best part of this site is just hanging with teammates in the LR's.

On top of that, they'd have a whole team of people who would be able to answer questions for them and guide them through the confusing aspects of the SHL that everyone encounters early on.

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2020, 11:02 PM by bluesfan55.)

I think we all know one of the main points of the SMJHL is retention, and it won’t help retention if recreate DFAs just looking for a head start get spots while first gens get nothing. The first gens should have priority; theoretically this should improve retention. Also, forcing teams to release IAs who have been a big part of the season (say, Anchorage releases Sergei Potvinov to sign a DFA goalie) kind of ruins their chances to make the playoffs. I do think DFAs deserve to land on a team but it can’t derail a team’s season in the process by having a key IA released.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

04-25-2020, 10:57 PMrum_ham Wrote: Not 100% how the cap system works, or if rookies would even be cool with this, but it would be nice for 1st gen players to have access to a team's LR even if they weren't "signed" or officially on the team. In my experience, the best part of this site is just hanging with teammates in the LR's.

On top of that, they'd have a whole team of people who would be able to answer questions for them and guide them through the confusing aspects of the SHL that everyone encounters early on.

The only issue with that is that some GM's would be hesitant to give everyone access and mess with LR chemistry. Creating an LR atmosphere isn't an easy task and to randomly chuck a handful of players in there could have serious adverse effects. Scouting always helps narrow the pack down but it'd give some pause for sure.

Some give them access in the lead up to the draft for scouting purposes anyways (or to a smaller channel within the server), so that'd be an option. It's something I've been considering over the last day or two.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Cut IAs for DFAs. Sure, but here's the thing: many IAs are around half a season's worth of TPE development. By forcing teams to cut those players in favor of DFAs, you're asking teams to cut 3 - 4 weeks of time for 1 - 2 weeks of hamstrung development. As the rule stands, where is the incentive for competitive teams?

I like the idea presented of allowing players to be signed without counting toward roster or cap space, just to hang out and get some mentorship. It would be an interesting scouting tool and, as mentioned, possibly serve to increase retention rates.

The hotter take here would be to consider taking it a step further and allowing one DFA player, with preference given to first-gens, to waive their draft status and sign with their team as a UFA after the draft. It's a little unfair to teams who would put that time to help somebody grow and gel in the LR, only to have them snapped up in the draft.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

04-25-2020, 09:17 PMiamslm22 Wrote: I want to start this by saying I got lucky. My buddy @nour is GM of a team and I reached out to him and he picked me up. I'm lucky to get the 1M and get to be part of a team and everything. It's fun to be in the LR. Many of my classmates are not so lucky. We have active players who are not allowed to play for teams because they are full. The league is going to lose active players if we don't figure this out. I'm a veteran of sim leagues - I know the deal. Having players sit around and not get paid AND not get a spot on a team is awful. At the least lets pay the guys who can't find teams.

Teams are allowed 3 drops per season. Carolina, while technically having a spot for a DFA, can't sign another one because we've already used our 3 drops to sign 3 other DFAs. I personally think it would be cool to be able to sign DFAs and have them come into the LR, even if they're a scratch, just to get them somewhere to be. I also think if you have someone sitting, you could swap them out (kind of like a team carrying an extra healthy forward rotating guys in).

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

04-25-2020, 10:06 PMiamslm22 Wrote: @BadWolf @ml002 @Inf1d3l Lets allow unlimited non roster spots! I see 0 downside
Thank you for the tag to bring this to my attention, Finn had mentioned this to me prior and we are discussing it more in depth now that teams have filled up. Retention is by far one of the most important aspects of the SMJHL and ideas like this helps a ton.

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

04-25-2020, 11:34 PMFuzzSHL Wrote:
04-25-2020, 09:17 PMiamslm22 Wrote: I want to start this by saying I got lucky. My buddy @nour is GM of a team and I reached out to him and he picked me up. I'm lucky to get the 1M and get to be part of a team and everything. It's fun to be in the LR. Many of my classmates are not so lucky. We have active players who are not allowed to play for teams because they are full. The league is going to lose active players if we don't figure this out. I'm a veteran of sim leagues - I know the deal. Having players sit around and not get paid AND not get a spot on a team is awful. At the least lets pay the guys who can't find teams.

Teams are allowed 3 drops per season. Carolina, while technically having a spot for a DFA, can't sign another one because we've already used our 3 drops to sign 3 other DFAs. I personally think it would be cool to be able to sign DFAs and have them come into the LR, even if they're a scratch, just to get them somewhere to be. I also think if you have someone sitting, you could swap them out (kind of like a team carrying an extra healthy forward rotating guys in).
The limit of 3 drops is being removed from our current rulebook rewrite. We plan to have that up soon. It seems to be a pointless rule.

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

I do like the unlimited non-roster DFAs, but I don’t agree with teams being forced to cut IFAs. Vancouver brought in three DFAs this season, cutting a 160 D and 199 LW in the process. We benched a 182 RW and 192 D to do it, and really couldn’t have brought in anyone else. One of our inactives is a rookie where we couldn’t have gotten rid of him until the 27th, and he had incredible chemistry with his linemates so it made sense to leave him in the lineup. Another inactive was a 197 4C, and he’s pretty valuable to the team as a defensive centre. Inactives do serve roles, and it’s a little irresponsible in my view to just chuck them out for DFAs who won’t get over about 170 TPE before teams likely lose them for nothing.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

LPLL is a god amongst men

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

04-26-2020, 12:04 AMBadWolf Wrote:
04-25-2020, 11:34 PMFuzzSHL Wrote: Teams are allowed 3 drops per season. Carolina, while technically having a spot for a DFA, can't sign another one because we've already used our 3 drops to sign 3 other DFAs. I personally think it would be cool to be able to sign DFAs and have them come into the LR, even if they're a scratch, just to get them somewhere to be. I also think if you have someone sitting, you could swap them out (kind of like a team carrying an extra healthy forward rotating guys in).
The limit of 3 drops is being removed from our current rulebook rewrite. We plan to have that up soon. It seems to be a pointless rule.
It did seem to work against what the J tried to do with keeping active people, but I already questioned enough and didn’t wanna be that guy to keep complaining. Nice to hear it’s being removed

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

04-25-2020, 09:41 PMiamslm22 Wrote:
04-25-2020, 09:35 PMwumaduce Wrote: This touches on the most important thing the J stands for, in my eyes - keeping people active. Everyone wants to win a Cup during their J career, but not everyone who signs up before the draft has a chance to sign with a competitor. If a team is running multiple IFA's, and there are people looking for a team as a new create, there should be a) a mandatory signing of a DFA over an IFA, and b) some kind of incentive for a team to sign the DFA (doesn't count against their cap) and keep a new player active in the league until the draft.

If you go the "well we signed you, but you don't get ice time" route, it's better than a new guy sitting there with his thumb up his ass wondering why he isn't hearing from any team. This is even more true when it comes to reddit drafts and the dozens/multiple dozens who sign up before we're ready to draft.

Exactly. The point of the J is retention. Winning is a blast obviously - everyone wants to win for sure. Maybe every DFA you pick up you get a supplemental draft pick? Something like that?

Yeah the J is for retention. If you play an inactive over and an active regardless of TPE you're missing the point.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

How exactly do you propose to force gms to get rid of inactives?

Like prevent DFA signings if you have an IA, or are you talking about getting rid of IAs the moment they become IA?

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

04-27-2020, 01:24 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: How exactly do you propose to force gms to get rid of inactives?

Like prevent DFA signings if you have an IA, or are you talking about getting rid of IAs the moment they become IA?

I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of system where at the end of each season inactives are dropped from rosters (over 200 tpe)

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]