Create Account

Slate Signs DFA Contract

Slate Signs DFA Contract

After declaring for the SMJHL Draft and moving over to North America, the next step for Liam Slate was to wait and see if he would be offered a contract by one of the SMJHL teams. It took a little bit but Slate was finally offered a SMJHL DFA contract by the Newfoundland Berserkers. Slate was offered a contract which was basically just an olive branch to talk with management, tour the facilities and get familiar with the roster.

“It was kind of cool to get offered a contract. I was not really expecting to get any offers especially after none came for a while. I was surprised and excited to be given a contract and get to know at least one team before the draft. They basically told me that I would not be playing at all, but they wanted me to be a part of their final stretch and eventually play-off run. I was told that the Berserkers were kind of a surprise this year so it felt pretty cool to be a part of their Cinderella run even though I would not see any ice time. As a competitor it would be nice to be competitor out there on the ice, but it is kind of cool to just sit back and learn. I have talked to management and the coaches on things I can improve on and have been given the opportunity to work out in their facilities. I think it is going to benefit me in the long run.”

Slate is going to be a black ace for the Berserkers as they face the St. Louis Scarecrows in the quarterfinals of the SMJHL playoffs. The team looks to continue their excellent season with a first round playoff win. The Berserkers look to have a bright future ahead of them on their current team and the possibility of ending up in Newfoundland excites Slate.

[Image: 92747_victor_olofsson_klar_for_frolunda.jpg]

“I have had zero contact with any other team, but I feel like Newfoundland is a place I really want to play. The facilities are top notch, management is excellent and the guys are amazing. This is a franchise I want to be a part of, and I kind of hope to end up here. Although, I still have not seen anywhere else, this team just seems perfect and will probably be a dominant force soon which would be amazing to be a part of. I feel like I have bonded with some of the guys and feel at home here. Right now this is the number one team on my draft rankings. I do kind of look forward to eventually hearing from some of the other teams in the league but Newfoundland is going to be hard to beat. I am so grateful they gave me the opportunity to come here and be a part of their team for a few weeks. It has been amazing.”

With the playoffs starting, Slate will be watching from the press box, but is looking forward to the upcoming SMJHL draft and eventual SMJHL debut. It will be interesting to see where Slate ends up, but the way the relationship with Newfoundland seems to be growing, it would not be the least bit surprising if he ended up being a Berserker come the draft. All he can do now is try and learn as much as he can as he watches his new teammates battle in the playoffs. For now, Slate plays cheerleader and continues to train in the gym as he waits for his opportunity to hit the ice with whichever team he ends up with.

Code:
602 Words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup