Create Account

A Look Back at the Career of Julien Dupont

Code:
“Double Media - Week 1

A Look Back at the Career of Julien Dupont

Back in Season 6, the Tylar agency ended its contract with former player Jacob Mueller of Germany and went over to Brussel Belgium. At the time Dupont was a relatively unknown player and a very high-risk prospect to draft due to the unknowns. In S6, Dupont declared for the NWJHL draft and was drafted 20th overall by the Prince George Firebirds in the third round. At the time the Firebirds were a pretty good franchise and in that same draft picked up David Winter in the third round, and Tobias Funke in the first round. Later in the year after a successful season in the SMJHL Dupont was drafted into the Season 7 SHL by the Edmonton Comets 12th overall. In that draft the Comets picked Elias Armia first overall, Gabriel Johnson 4th and Jarkko Vatinnen 5th. The Edmonton Comets were an up and coming team that many feared would become great at the hands of general manager Seth.

Back in the earlier days of the NWHJL players did not stay in the league long. Dupont played in S6 for the Firebirds and got called up. In his true rookie season in the SHL Dupont scored 1 goal, 12 assists for 13 total points in 47 games. Dupont racked up a staggering 107 penalty minutes. He also had an impressive 66 shots blocked. His minus 13 rating was less than impressive but the Comets were pretty bad and Dupont was a rookie.

In Season 8, Dupont’s development showed as he scored 7 goals, 14 assists for 21 points in 50 games. He lowered his penalty minutes to 58 but his defensive numbers got worse, but he showed more offensive flair. In this season, the Comets were once again bad, and Dupont started to get a bit unsettled at the situation. Rumblings started to come out about Dupont wanting out, and a bit of drama began to surround the young defenseman in the locker room.
In Season 9. Dupont’s development seemed to stall as he gathered 5 goals and 6 assists for 11 points in 44 games with Edmonton. He had a -18 rating and 98 penalty minutes. At the trade deadline, Dupont got his wish, a trade to a powerhouse Calgary Team. Dupont went on to finish the regular season with 5 pts in 6 games with Calgary. In this season, Dupont would win his first and only Challenge Cup and the First championship for the Tylar Agency.

After the trade to Calgary, it seemed like Dupont had a new life. In S10, Dupont went on to have an amazing season on the Dragons scoring 22 goals, 34 assists for 56 points in 50 games. Dupont had a massive season which to this day is the best season a Tylar Agency client has ever had. Dupont went over a point per game pace which at the time was likely common due to inflated scoring but still quite an achievement.  At this point, Dupont was a household name among defensemen and at the time was being pumped up in re-drafts as a potential top pick challenger. Dupont’s ego was at an all-time high and thought he was a star. At the end of S10, Dupont thought it would be a good idea to go through a name change. He changed his name to Alexei Grigorenko. The name change came with some interesting responses from fellow players and fans, but he wanted it. Dupont was now Grigorenko with the Dragons and was looking to build on an amazing season.

In Season 11 the former star crashed and burned as the new Alexei Grigorenko. Grigorenko scored 11 goals and 9 assists for 20 points in 50 games with Calgary. He did record 70 shots blocked which shows he was decent defensively and had 170 hits which showed his physical presence on the blue line. This was a hard hit to the ego for the defenseman as his point totals crashed from an impressive over point per game pace to well under half a point per game pace.

In S12, Grigorenko was traded to the Hamilton Steelhawks. Grigorenko had a rebound season scoring 9 goals, 24 assists for 33 points. He has a much better offensive season but his defensive numbers went down with only 79 shots blocked and 67 hits. The higher offensive numbers were a much better site for Grigorenko. This would be Grigorenko’s last season in the SHL. Grigorenko decided to bolt back to Europe early. Grigorenko could have had a much longer career but decided to call it quits early. He still has a year or two before regression and could have easily fought off regression. It would be interesting to see his career as a whole with a few more seasons under his belt.

Overall as an agency, I am pretty happy with the career of Julien Dupont. I made so many good friends with Dupont and really had an amazing time on SHL. Dupont was a staple top-four defenseman for most of his career and had that what looks like a miracle point per game season. I feel like having close to a half a point per game pace as a defenseman is pretty good although scoring was much higher back in those days probably. That season is probably the best season statistics wise I have had on SHL. Looking back, if I could have a do-over l would have kept Dupont’s name because the name change sounds and looks awful. His career could have gone on many seasons and a few more seasons of good play could have gotten him into the Hall of Fame maybe at some point. As stated, I am pretty happy with how Dupont’s career went. I could not have asked for a better team to start with. Many of the people I started my SHL career with are still my friends now and were my friends for many years for those who have left. It was kind of fun to look back at Dupont's career as a whole and remember a lot of different things that happened and the success I had with Dupont. Thanks for the SHL ten year anniversary for making me recollect all these great memories with Dupont!

Shl Cheers Shl

Code:
1030 Words  - 2x Media Week 1

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Dupont is someone who is overlooked by history, but he was a cup champion and had a point per game season. underrated legend

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Great article as always  Tylar Towel

04-18-2020, 01:58 PMnour Wrote: we received 2 complaints from Site Member @caltroit_red_flames about his site rep being brigaded