Create Account

S53 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 11:58 PM by JMacNCheese.)

2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
With everyone getting a free redistribution this offseason, S54 is quite wide open at the moment. Before those redistributions take place, who would you anticipate being the top team(s) for next season?

So, the J will be affected differently from the SHL, since people will be getting called up. But as far as the SHL is concerned I do not see much change in the top of the table, but maybe the bottom teams improve slightly. Back to the J I still see Detroit as the top team and favorite, especially with losing almost no one but @dankoa :(, and the fact that they will now have a crazy number of capped players at 425! As for the other teams, I believe St. Louis takes a hit with losing its capped 425 goalie but still should remain relevant and in the hunt. Newfoundland will see an increase in rankings as they will be getting stronger for sure with people getting capped and the young team improving TPE wise. In the West I honestly am not sure. I would imagine that Anchorage and Kelowna will remain on top, but if @Geekusoid gets his mojo back Anaheim should make a run next year and will keep ANC and KEL on their toes for a top spot. (182 words)

5. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Just like everything else in S53, IIHF is going to be an exciting mystery for us all! We've seen the introduction of a new format (all 14 teams in one group) and it's bound to be a very exciting tournament. What are your predictions for IIHF this season? What team or teams do you think have the best shot at taking home the gold? How do you think your team will fare?

From looking a little bit into IIHF this year because there was a possibility to play in it, it looks like Canada, USA and Sweden are stacked and are the teams to beat! I am excited to see this new format and very curious on how not only how it will play out, but how it even works lol. I will be rooting for USA since that is my nation and I am on the WJC team and hopefully they will take the gold home this year! I know they were close last year, but I believe they can take it this year. A dark horse team to watch out for is Norway, they could mix things up! As for myself I am confident that the USA WJC team will be great and succeed at making a legit shot of taking home the gold. Not only saying that because I am on the seam but because we have a ton of talent on the team and a lot of the players from last year have capped! GO USA teams!!!! Usa (179 words)

6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Come up with a program of intermission entertainment for one of the games of the finals. What's the between-period on-ice entertainment the fans will enjoy? The goofier the better, go crazy.

The intermission entertainment for game 5 in Hamilton will be a contest to race the 200 feet from one side the ice to the other. They will be pushing a sled with someone sitting in it and when they get to the other side of the ice the person that is sitting in the sled has to get off and do the spin the bat thing. While they are spinning on the bat the person that was pushing the sled must then score a goal with a beach ball from either the right or the left faceoff dot. Once the spinning bat person has gone around 3 times and 1 more for each time their partner misses the goal, they swap spots on the sled and push it down the 200 ft to the other end to win! To make things even harder and potentially very funny, there will be people throwing exercise balls at them while they run the distance of the ice. The first team to succeed will split $5,000 and have a year supply of Dr. Pepper! (180 words)

13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words to qualify.
a. Who is the best player in this CC finals? Plenty of good candidates: Lagerfield, Phelps, Kryyst, McIntry, Pepperoni, Scholz, etc. Who's your choice for best player and why?
The best player in the CC finals had to of been Geezus Kryyst! Not only did he lose 1 game going into the finals but had a stellar showing in finals as well. They may of dropped 2 games in the finals, but hey it is the finals and it’s the best team in the East vs the best team in the West. Kryyst also picked up 2 shutouts in the finals to help Hamilton win in 6 games and only conceding 8 goals total in the finals.  Kryyst deserves MVP for the finals and for the whole playoffs. Tony Pepperoni tried to carry Edmonton, but Kryyst was too good! Shout out to @notorioustig for having an okay playoofs! (119 words)
b. Based on player ratings, EDM has the advantage in speed and acceleration and HAM has the advantage in balance and strength. Which team's physical skills will give them the edge in this series?
I believe that it would have been in the advantage of Hamilton. I would not say speed is one dimensional, because it definitely can do a lot in a game, but I've seen enough hockey to know that if a team is more physical it can hurt the speed team. Now I am not sure how big bodied some of the Edmonton players are, but if they were on the smaller side then definitely the physicality from Hamilton would great benefit them winning the cup and it looks like that was the case. (93 words)
c. Assemble your ideal fantasy team out of players in this series - F, F, F, D, D, G. Explain your choices.
My forwards would be Barrett Blackwood - Tony Pepperoni - Robert Phelps. These 3 would be my forwards because Pepperoni is points machine and gets the pucks to people so they have an easy time scoring, Phelps helps in that regards too so they will be able to move the move beautifully around, and then you need someone to finish in the back of the net and that's where the top scorer in the playoffs comes in, Blackwood.
My defensemen would be Tig Murphy - Tor Tuck. I picked these 2 because Murphy helps in the offensive game and gives strong defense and Tuck is a physical monster.
My goalie would be Geezus Kryyst, because he is the best goalie in the league and playoffs and showed it by winning a 2nd title in 3 years! (136 word)
d. Blizzard... snow... ok debate time - do you like snow? yes or no? why or why not?
Being from Florida I love the snow! I know that snow can be associated with a lot of great things like holidays, vacations, no school, gathering of families, so on and so forth, but that is why I love it lol. Being from the Sunshine State, where it is hot almost all year round and being so close to the water it is super muggy and humid, is why when I get a chance to see snow, I enjoy it. Also being an over hot/warm individual, it feels nice. I know I have never lived in it and never experienced having to deal with it on a daily biases, may change my perspective but hey I do not live where it happens so I will still enjoy it! (128 words)

16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verification word: Brain Power

[Image: BnanaNWaffles.gif]
Sig by @Ragnar / Avatar by @leviadan
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]  [Image: qtbn8zh.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2020, 12:00 AM by KlusteR.)

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
With everyone getting a free redistribution this offseason, S54 is quite wide open at the moment. Before those redistributions take place, who would you anticipate being the top team(s) for next season?
I can anticipate that some teams will perform very well thanks to the redistribution, because most of their core is either getting close to, or is entering their prime. A team like the Buffalo Stampede really intrigues me, since they have so many crucial elements of their team getting to 1600 or more TPE, or not regressing too far down just yet. And then, in other cases, a team like the Hamilton Steelhawks could still boast about having the highest average TPE, letting them shape their entire roster the way they want, and not just keep the focus top-heavy... it'll be interesting to see how the SHL will shape up post-redistribution. I'm also thinking of how redistribution (and especially the stamina changes) will impact the SMJHL, as well, seeing as I'm spending a lot of my time and energy on-site with those teams and players - will we see more strategies emerge, or will there be a bigger emphasis on not rocking the boat too much?

(168 words)

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
With new tools at our disposal in FHM, we may eventually see some new awards enter the fold. Create a suggestion for a new SHL award. What kind of achievement is the award given for? Who's the award named after? Who would've won the award this season?
I really want a split of categories for goalies, in order to determine which goaltender was "at the right place at the right time", and which one was truly a shining beacon of hope in a turd universe. Now, you may be saying that I'm only bringing this up because my situation, as well as my mentor's, Carpy, is pretty tough right now - we're both at the helm of rebuilding squads with some pretty glaring shortcomings. I simply want to show, via "Expected Goals For" and "Goals Saved Above Average", that a goaltender can be doing a tremedous job, yet still end up with the loss at the end of the day (because in life, as it is in hockey, there has to be a loser at the end of the day.) I know some members of our community have been publishing media articles about it (Smalinosky7 a.k.a. Jukka Timonen a.k.a. Juke is especially a beast at those types of analysis.)

(165 words)

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Just like everything else in S53, IIHF is going to be an exciting mystery for us all! We've seen the introduction of a new format (all 14 teams in one group) and it's bound to be a very exciting tournament. What are your predictions for IIHF this season? What team or teams do you think have the best shot at taking home the gold? How do you think your team will fare?
FHM is throwing a wrench into everyone's plans, but we can safely say that these upcoming international tournaments will be the most exciting they have been in years! I'd say 6 teams really have a good shot at a quarter-final, with the USA and Canada as front-runners, and some other teams that could play trouble-makers. My team, Switzerland, is on the up-and-up, and I feel like we're still maybe a bit too young to really throw a wrench into other teams' plans, but we did get a silver medal 2 seasons ago. With good enough goaltending from both Tibuk and I, I think a 3rd place in our pool is entirely possible - and from there, it's all up to chance! I still see the USA win the trophy, though - this team is very, VERY threatening on paper, and if they gel as the tournament goes along, the rest of the world is screwed.

(158 words)

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Come up with a program of intermission entertainment for one of the games of the finals. What's the between-period on-ice entertainment the fans will enjoy? The goofier the better, go crazy.
Okay, so - between the 1st and 2nd intermission, 3rd game of the series (so the first game in Edmonton). We start with the first notes of I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) by meat Loaf playing as Mike Izzy, wearing the most magnificent purple outfit, starts making rounds of figure skating around the rink, as the Blizzard faithful are shocked, and appalled at what is happening. As the captain of their most bitter rivals starts pirouetting near their stands, the fans start throwing their towels on the ice, causing Izzy to slip and come crashing into the boards. Edmonton's mascot, Blizzy, comes out with a humongous fire extinguisher (with a huge cross across a Dragons' logo located on its tank) while Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls starts blaring in the background... And then the Calgary Captain gets completely covered in white foam, he is completely stuck on the boards, unable to move, as the crowd erupts into laughter...

(164 words)

Code:
7. Written/Graphic, 2 TPE (100 words min. for written option)
Even though the Panthers fell short this season, the LA influence has been felt around the league and execs in Hollywood are paying more attention to the SHL with the hometown team making waves. If your player could have a cameo in any tv show or movie, what show/movie would they choose? (for the purposes of this PT you may choose a show/movie that already exists just uhhh pretend they re-shoot it with your cameo or something idk).
As we all know, Hollywood is racist. So if Markus were to get casted in anything, it'd be in like, a Swiss cheese commercial where he'd have to wear the lederhosen and the green cap and start to yodel and he's not too keen on doing that. He would love to do a cameo on more silly shows, like Brooklyn 99, where he could be a member of the FBI and say a single line to one of the secondary characters. That would satisfy Markus' ego for years. He's not much of a spotlight kind of guy - which is why having his career in Minnesota is perfect for him.

(109 words)

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

SamoanEmpire

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!