Create Account

S53 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020, 12:28 PM by hotdog.)

Welcome to the first finals of the FHM era, where the Edmonton Blizzard and the Hamilton Steelhawks will be squaring off for the chance to hoist the S53 Challenge Cup.

Here are this season's tasks for CW. The maximum, as always, is 16 TPE, uncapped. Mix and match whatever tasks you desire, but the maximum TPE to be earned from this is 16. 
The deadline is Wednesday, May 13th at 11:59PM ET.

Please copy/paste the prompts (including the # of TPE) into your post; it makes it much easier to grade and track.
Code:
1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
This reality is just one of infinite realities existing alongside this one in parallel. Take us over to one of those realities in which everything is the same but these S53 playoffs have unfolded differently. What happened in that reality's playoffs and who's in the Challenge Cup over there?

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
With everyone getting a free redistribution this offseason, S54 is quite wide open at the moment. Before those redistributions take place, who would you anticipate being the top team(s) for next season?

Code:
3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Which player from the Steelhawks or the Blizzard would you bet on to win a regular season individual award in a future season? What player and what award? What makes you think they'll live up to their potential and take home the hardware?

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
With new tools at our disposal in FHM, we may eventually see some new awards enter the fold. Create a suggestion for a new SHL award. What kind of achievement is the award given for? Who's the award named after? Who would've won the award this season?
Thanks to @kenvald for this suggestion; kenvald may claim 1 uncapped TPE by linking to this post.

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Just like everything else in S53, IIHF is going to be an exciting mystery for us all! We've seen the introduction of a new format (all 14 teams in one group) and it's bound to be a very exciting tournament. What are your predictions for IIHF this season? What team or teams do you think have the best shot at taking home the gold? How do you think your team will fare?

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Come up with a program of intermission entertainment for one of the games of the finals. What's the between-period on-ice entertainment the fans will enjoy? The goofier the better, go crazy.

Code:
7. Written/Graphic, 2 TPE (100 words min. for written option)
Even though the Panthers fell short this season, the LA influence has been felt around the league and execs in Hollywood are paying more attention to the SHL with the hometown team making waves. If your player could have a cameo in any tv show or movie, what show/movie would they choose? (for the purposes of this PT you may choose a show/movie that already exists just uhhh pretend they re-shoot it with your cameo or something idk).

Code:
8. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min. for written option)
The arenas in Edmonton and Hamilton certainly don't need any gimmicks to get people into the stadium for the series, but the arenas want to make sure they're pulling out all the stops on the big stage. Help the concessions department of one of these two teams develop a new product, with marketing specifically pertaining to this finals series, to be sold at the arena during the finals. Describe the product and the marketing in 150 words or create a promotional poster showing the product, its name, the price, etc.

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

Code:
10. Graphic, 3 TPE
With the shift to a new era of SHL, HO has decided to redesign the championship trophy. Create a graphic of a new trophy to be handed to the winners of the S53 title.

Code:
11. Graphic, 3 TPE
Design a Challenge Cup Championship banner for one of the teams in the finals, like those which appear on the side of the site.

Code:
12. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
- Highlights of the S53 season (on or off the ice)
- S53 playoff round-up
- S53 Challenge Cup finals Breakdown
- S54 predictions

1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 5 minutes or 4 TPE for 7 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 6 Minutes or 4 TPE for 8 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.

Code:
13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words to qualify.
a. Who is the best player in this CC finals? Plenty of good candidates: Lagerfield, Phelps, Kryyst, McIntry, Pepperoni, Scholz, etc. Who's your choice for best player and why?
b. Based on player ratings, EDM has the advantage in speed and acceleration and HAM has the advantage in balance and strength. Which team's physical skills will give them the edge in this series?
c. Assemble your ideal fantasy team out of players in this series - F, F, F, D, D, G. Explain your choices.
d. Blizzard... snow... ok debate time - do you like snow? yes or no? why or why not?

Code:
14. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Code:
15. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and you also like doing graphics instead of writing. That's cool, too! Create a Series Recap broadcast graphic - the contents can be whatever you want, but your graphic must list both teams and at least 3 stats for each.

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
SUBMIT TRIVIA ANSWERS HERE

Additional Information:

This PT is for SHL players and send-downs only; it is not for SMJHL rookies or SMJHL prospects.

One (1) welfare claim from either PBE or the NSFL will be accepted for 3 TPE! *if you’re claiming welfare and have a different username on the affiliates site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.*

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

Note: Posts with malicious intent will not be graded.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 02:59 AM by jRuutu.)

1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
This reality is just one of infinite realities existing alongside this one in parallel. Take us over to one of those realities in which everything is the same but these S53 playoffs have unfolded differently. What happened in that reality's playoffs and who's in the Challenge Cup over there?

In an alternative reality, the world will look very much the same, but there is one key difference though, New England Wolfpack is in the finals with LA Panthers. Hamilton and Edmonton both did not make that far.This dramatic difference took a drastic turn when Buffalo managed to win Hamilton in the first round, the series ended 4-0, so subtle change in a way, but still, Hamilton´s road to the final ended early.

What happened to Buffalo? New England kicked their ass 4-1 and it is indeed New England that made it into the finals.

Over on the other side, Los Angeles Panthers managed to beat Edmonton in a thrilling game seven series where every single game went all the way to the overtime, in the end, LA was victorious 4-3 and they made it into the finals.

Many could say that the alternative reality is more realistic than the real reality, but world is a mysterious place, no way to know what is real and what is not. (170)

With everyone getting a free redistribution this offseason, S54 is quite wide open at the moment. Before those redistributions take place, who would you anticipate being the top team(s) for next season?

I guess it will be fairly same group of teams, Hamilton and their advanced simulation league tactics will almost surely guarantee they will find something that will bring joy us to all. New England has same roster I believe, so should not be any reason why they wont be up there. Too much talent in the roster. Same with Buffalo and did they not trade for top level player? Buffalo a tough team for sure, could even win 40 games next year.

In West I think it will be trickier, LAP has a good team and I´m sure they will have a good year again, but also Edmonton, Calgary and New Orleans will make a push for the top positions. I´ll say either Calgary or Edmonton will have a lot better year next year, but overall I´m expecting close season in top-4. What all of these teams have in common is solid management, they will make tweaks and set training camps to focus on few key areas that will push the team forward.  (170)

Which player from the Steelhawks or the Blizzard would you bet on to win a regular season individual award in a future season? What player and what award? What makes you think they'll live up to their potential and take home the hardware?

Conor Tanner from Edmonton is going to win some kind points related award, he is still young player, drafted in season 49, but almost at 1000 TPE and he plays as a center. You can see the offensive talent, but what is the most impressive thing is his defensive game, you don´t always have that side ready when talking about young players, but Tanner is perhaps the best young two-way forward in the league.

The fact he plays in the middle and he has the talent makes me think he will collect some serious point totals in the future. In all honesty could see him winning award for best two-way forward just as well, a complete player in the making.  (120)

Just like everything else in S53, IIHF is going to be an exciting mystery for us all! We've seen the introduction of a new format (all 14 teams in one group) and it's bound to be a very exciting tournament. What are your predictions for IIHF this season? What team or teams do you think have the best shot at taking home the gold? How do you think your team will fare?

First I would like to say that I like the new format, simple and fun! Interesting to see how the whole playoff part of it goes, do we see some dramatic surprises. What comes to predictions, Team Finland will be some kind of underdog, not exactly the favorite to win it, but a team that could make things interesting. That is a role and a position we want, so I´m expecting a good tournament, we will surprise many and force our way all the way to the finals!

Management of Finland will push the absolutely max out of the roster, we will play for the Finnish people and for the logo, once we get that winter war mentality going - there is no stopping Team Finland.

I´m sure the bigger nations will be up there again. They have a lot of great players and they also have a lot deeper talent pools than Finland has, but Finland will play as a team and bring glory to the motherland. (165)

13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words to qualify.
a. Who is the best player in this CC finals? Plenty of good candidates: Lagerfield, Phelps, Kryyst, McIntry, Pepperoni, Scholz, etc. Who's your choice for best player and why?
b. Based on player ratings, EDM has the advantage in speed and acceleration and HAM has the advantage in balance and strength. Which team's physical skills will give them the edge in this series?
c. Assemble your ideal fantasy team out of players in this series - F, F, F, D, D, G. Explain your choices.
d. Blizzard... snow... ok debate time - do you like snow? yes or no? why or why not?

A) Pepperoni from Edmonton, he is a big guy, but can skate fast and also make turns in tight spaces. On top of that he is one of the most skilled players in the league, he can do it all starting from making plays and even throwing that big body of his around, top player.

B) I have to think the speed and acceleration will win as long as they keep working hard, if you let Hamilton and their players who are made to have puck on their sticks any space, you are not going to have good time. Need to take the time and space away from Hamilton, speed is perfect for that. Either using the stick or body to control the space.

C)
G - Geezus Kryyst, excellent goalie who can steal games on his own.
D - Brady McIntyre, veteran defender who has been on top of the game for who knows how long, has seen it all.
D - Tig Murphy, great puck moving defender, always finds that open stick.
F - Tony Pepperoni, I like him for his versatility, more of a powerforward in this line.
F - Flacko Lagerfield, extremely high hockey IQ, always in the right place at the right time
F - Julio Tokolosh, great two-way winger who has all the tools to make things happen in the offensive end.

D)Yes! Snow is the best part of winter, nice feeling when you look out of the window and see a lot of snow. It´s also fun to just walk around outside in snow, and of course if there is a lot of snow and its cold you can hopefully skate, and perhaps play some hockey with in the local outdoor hockey rink!

16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Tree

= 16
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 05:24 PM by Leppish.)

My bet would be on Daniel Bischoff, my former teammate in Minnesota, he's a hard worker and is a great earner of TPE and he's easily going to beat my TPE totals before regression. He's got a good build going and he's doing ACs and Trainings still. I could see him winning the goal leader or points leader awards in the future if he just keeps active. He should stop doing mass updates though and focus on updating every week to earn that TPE consistently. But i think he will stick around and become a star player in the league, he has the potential for it.

Even though the Panthers fell short this season, the LA influence has been felt around the league and execs in Hollywood are paying more attention to the SHL with the hometown team making waves. If your player could have a cameo in any tv show or movie, what show/movie would they choose? (for the purposes of this PT you may choose a show/movie that already exists just uhhh pretend they re-shoot it with your cameo or something idk).

I'd love to have a role in Brooklyn 99, hilarious show and the aspect of them being police officers makes it more interesting to me than just another sitcom set in an apartment in New York, Geoff Moore has the good looks, they physique and the blue eyes that hollywood loves. He'd go on to cameo as a villain who turns out to be an undercover officer that is arrested by that damn Jake Peralta who in turn gets yelled at by Cpt. Holt and is suspended once again, only to go try and figure it out himself and it turns out Moores character is actually dirty. Wait, did they do that already?

A. I think it's Tony Pepperoni, he's got incredible talent and work ethic, he's tasty and can do it all, score, pass, lay some hits and even has pretty solid defensive game in him. He's also been a league MVP before which is a huge accomplishment already. Well established player who just seems to get better every season.

C. Tony Pepperoni, Robert Phelps, Julio Tokolosh, Brady McIntyre & Karl Schultz. It's a good combination of offensive skill, veteran leadership, young blood and great defensive talent. This lineup could turn a bad team into a contender if you ask me, they would be a lethal force against any team in the league.

D. I live in Finland so yes, i like snow very much, we didn't get much this past winter and it made me sad, not only because i didn't get to experience it but my dog loves to play in the snow and just run back and forth in it. I'd rather swap summer and winter over, have snow for 7-9 months a year and the annoying fucking heat and stupid bugs for a couple.

Blebbosh

[Image: lebbish.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020, 12:20 PM by Ace.)

TASK ONE +3 TPE
Welcome to Ace’s reality, that I think the remainder of the New England Wolfpack would love to have taken place. Instead of the Evil Empire triumphing in five games, Johannes Leitner placed the New England Wolfpack onto his shoulders and carried them to a grueling Game 7 OT victory over the Hamilton Steelhawks, propelling them into a rematch against the Edmonton Blizzard from the Wolfpack’s last Challenge Cup Finals.
Leitner would have posted a .936 Save Percentage and a 1.33 Goals Against Average. He would be the #1 candidate for the Wolfpack Playoff MVP going into the Finals. Unsung depth players Rafe Ulrich and Gordie Boomhover would have their offensive game explode, tallying 10 and 11 points in the series respectively. The Wolfpack, coming off this tough series and coming into the postseason as President Trophy winners would be the favorite, and would ride the momentum to a Challenge Cup Victory.

TASK TWO +3 TPE
With the addition of Matthew Kholin, it’ll be a three-pronged race for the top spot in the Eastern Conference next season between the Buffalo Stampede, New England Wolfpack and the Hamilton Steelhawks. With how the Steelhawks dismantled both the New England Wolfpack and the Buffalo Stampede, it’s hard to imagine they’ll be making any monumental changes regarding their player builds and strategies. It wouldn’t surprise me if, with the SHL being historically a copy cat league, if other teams try to mirror the player builds that the Hamilton Steelhawks employed in their likely S53 Challenge Cup victory.
Regarding the West, I can see the San Francisco Pride taking a big leap forward to get their names in the mix with the Los Angeles Panthers, Edmonton Blizzard, Calgary Dragons and the New Orleans Specters. I can’t say with any level of certainty who would rise to the top in that conference however.

TASK FOUR +3 TPE
I am a huge supporter of an award that gives more luck to the blue liners of the league. It has been far too long that the SHL Awards have been smiling upon the forwards, and with the limitations of STHS on collecting statistics for the defensive side of the game, they were limited to a single award for the top defender – the Stevens Trophy. It was a great first step when they instituted the Bojo Biscuit award for the defensive defenseman of the year, but it isn’t yet enough in my opinion. I humbly suggest that we have three awards annually for defensemen.
1) Scott Stevens Trophy – This award is awarded to the premier well-rounded defenseman who has excelled on both the offensive and defensive side of the puck.
2) Erik Chisling Award – Awarded to the defenseman who excels most at the offensive side of the game and superior offensive puck possession metrics.
3) Bojo Biscuit Award – Same thing that currently exists. Awarded to the defenseman who has excelled most on the defensive side of the game. Shot suppression, shot blocks, clearing the crease, etc.

TASK THIRTEEN D +1 TPE
Snow. I like the snow. It’s serene, and when there’s a good snowstorm going on, it kind of muffles the world around you. Just stand outside next time when it is snowing and it’ll be the quietest you’ve ever heard the world around you. No birds, nothing. Just silence. It’s relaxing.
Plus going outside when it’s snowing gives me a chance to get some time to myself.

TASK SIXTEEN TRIVIA +3 TPE
Sent.

NSFL PT +3 TPE

TPE: 16/16

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

PH

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 01:53 PM by Zoone16.)

Spaceholder

Quote:2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
With everyone getting a free redistribution, I still do not think that there will be a change at the top of the standings. The top contenders in the East will remain Hamilton & New England, due to the depth of their respective teams. In the West, I still expect to see Los Angeles on top with Calgary pushing to be a higher threat than the past. Where it will become interesting however, is in the middle of the pack. Whereas I see Buffalo making the playoffs comfortably next season, I think the final spot in the East will be much closer between Manhattan, Chicago and Baltimore. In the West, NOLA will be hit the hardest with the Pride managing to inch past them for the final playoffs spot.
All in all, much more of the same due to the consistency of the sim engine compared to STHS. Ultimately it will always come down to game day sim luck.
(158 words)

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
With new tools at our disposal in FHM, we may eventually see some new awards enter the fold. Create a suggestion for a new SHL award. What kind of achievement is the award given for? Who's the award named after? Who would've won the award this season?

Goaltenders only have one award that they usually compete for, and that’s the John McBride Trophy. This is the SHL equivalent of the Vezina Trophy in the NHL and is an award that is voted upon by the awards committee.
There are however two more goaltender only awards given out in the NHL that could be used in the SHL. First, the William M. Jennings Trophy that is given to the goalies of the team that has allowed the fewest goals in the regular season. This is an easy input from the committee. This season it would’ve been won by Johannes Leitner & Mike Hroch of the New England Wolfpack with the team only allowing 81 goals in 50 games.
Secondly, the other goalie award is the Roger Crozier Award, that used to be awarded to the goalie that had the best save percentage in the regular season. (with a set minimum amount of games played of course). Based on that, Cedric Robinson of the Stampede & Johannes Leitner of the Wolfpack would’ve shared that award with a save percentage of 0.924.

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)

With the change to FHM showing us that depth is just as important as tactics, I would expect teams with the biggest pool of players to choose from to be at the top. This to me includes not only USA and Canada but also Czechia who have been busy each off-season in recruiting users to join their nation. Other teams to look out for are Great Britain, who always has a good flow of new players join them and Ireland who are still in a strong position since their 5 straight gold medals run days.
With my team being Great Britain, I cannot help but think that we’ll be contending for the gold this season, having a solid core team leading the pack with a good amount of young players making their way into the lineup.
Lastly my predictions. I think that USA gets back on the top step of the podium, with Great Britain finishing second. Czechia nabs the bronze from Canada. I hope I’lm wrong and that GB wins it all again but who knows. Only the sim will tell.
(182 words)

Quote:13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words to qualify.

a) The best player in this year’s finals is undoubtedly Flacko Lagerfield. The winger from the Steelhawks won the scoring race during the regular season, showcasing that he is an elite scorer and passer. He has 28 points scored on the power play which means that he’s got 43 more points at even strength. The man is a danger regardless of the situation.  (62 words)
b) If we compare the SHL to the NHL, it is true that speed is great during the regular season, but time and time again shutting down the opposition by being more physical has prevailed in the playoffs. Ultimately, I do think that a team that plays more physical is more apt to adapt their gameplay to counter speed. And it’s not as if the Steelhawks lack speed either. I would have to give them a slight advantage over the Blizzard in this case. (83 words)
c) At forwards I would go with Flacko Lagerfield, Aaron Wilson and Robert Phelps. They were the top scoring line this season and the chemistry between them is something I would like to keep in my ideal fantasy team.
On defense, I would go with Gabriel Johnson and Karlstrasse Scholz who have been the cornerstones of their respective teams on the blue line. Lastly, in nets I would pick Emiko Spector, whom although has less games played than Kryyst, sports the best save percentage of the lot. (86 words)
d) Living in Canada, I learned to love the snow in December/January. It’s nice and beautiful and goes with the holiday season. However, once we get to March and April and this shit drags on seemingly forever, I get all down and moody. So I guess that snow is ok for a couple months but any more than that is just annoying.  (61 words)

Quote:16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verficiation Word: Snickerdoodle

Total: 16/16 TPE

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020, 01:17 PM by reid.)

Quote:1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
In this alternate reality, NOLA won their series over Los Angeles after being found cheating. Everyone is mad, every other day an LAP player TD's HO or NOLA. The Spectres continue to grind through the playoffs and beat Edmonton in the second round. As they get to the Challenge Cup, who do they face? Hamilton. The former "cheaters" that NOLA despises, Joe has to take a long look in the mirror. Is he one of them? Does this mean NOLA and Hamilton are on the same level of bad? He has some decisions to make. As the teams get warmed up for game 1, Joe is nowhere to be seen. The NOLA players are confused... where is their leader? Will he be there for puck drop? Then, as Hamilton's starting lineup is being introduced, a familiar face emerges from the tunnel. Joe K in a Steelhawks uniform. He realized that he is a Steelhawk all along, and that this week's transgressions means that if he can't beat em, he hast to join em. The end. (175 words)

Quote:3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Hamilton is an easy choice here, as they are loaded with a lot of young talent who are prizes of their draft classes. I could go with Hugh Jazz or Aaron Wilson, but instead I am going to pick Gabriel Johnson. He exploded onto the scene this year, sitting in the top 5 for goals and points by a defenseman. I think that as he gets more TPE, he is a lock for a Stevens award at some point in his career. With a high powered offensive build, and playing on a perennial powerhouse in Hamilton, Johnson is sure to repeat his FHM success in future years. He may even stand a chance in the S53 awards voting, although he is maybe not the favourite at this time. (128 words)

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Come up with a program of intermission entertainment for one of the games of the finals. What's the between-period on-ice entertainment the fans will enjoy? The goofier the better, go crazy.
Much like the real life pre game show where the Vegas Golden Knights have a running theme of their mascot defeating the other team's mascot in a duel, the Blizzard will have a segment where a 5 or so people dressed as hawks will run out onto the ice. With lights flashing and the smoke machine going, a Yeti wearing a Blizzard jersey will step out onto the ice and give a big roar over the loud speaker. Then, the Yeti will chase down the hawks and snuff them out, one by one. This will be accompanied by a graphic on the display board urging the fans to cheer louder if they want the Yeti to defeat the steelhawks. Of course, this intermission entertainment will be brought to you by YETI coolers, and they will hand out free Edmonton Blizzard branded ramblers to one section for each steelhawk that the Yeti catches. (152 words)

Quote:7. Written/Graphic, 2 TPE (100 words min. for written option)
Similar to Ed Sheeran's cameo in Game of Thrones, Reid Sutherland would also have a brief, but memorable cameo in the final season. The main difference being that no one recognizes Sutherland yet, as he is only in the J's, so it would only break the immersion for the most hardcore of Detroit's fan base. Reid would be a soldier in the Lannister army who gets BBQ'ed by one of the Khalisi's dragons. First you would see him fighting with a sword before coming face to face with a loyalist of the Stark's. Then before Reid can attack, the dragon swoops in and breaths fire, killing him. But not before we get a close up of Reid's face and we cut for a commercial. This commercial would be an add for the upcoming 4 Star Cup finals featuring Sutherland from Detroit. (141 words)

Quote:13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 5 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words to qualify.
a. Geezus Kryyst is my pick for the best player in the CC finals. Maybe not the best player by rating or TPE, but he stole the show for Hamilton against New England. He was a big part of why the Steelhawks were able to shut down the top offense in the league, and good luck to Edmonton trying to score on him. If the Blizzard could not solve the LAP goaltender, they stand little to no chance against Kryyst. (79 words)
c. F1= Flacko Lagerfield. The points leader in the regular season, this is an easy choice. F2= Tony Pepperoni. The top dude for the Blizzard is another easy choice, he consistently scores well in fantasy. F3=Aaron Wilson. The top line center for the Steelhawks is a point scoring machine, and will assist on a lot of Lagerfield's goals. D1=Gabriel Johnson. One of the top scoring defenders this year, another easy choice. D2= K. Scholz. The top scoring defender for the Bliz who will rack up the points. G=Geezus Kryyst. I took him this year in fantasy and they performed well. Ham is a good defensive team, look to him to get me max points. (113 words)
d. Yes. I love snow. Growing up in the prairies, it signals winter and a huge part of my life. I tried living on the coast for a few years and would miss the snow too much. Even though it makes driving sketchy and you have to shovel it, there is nothing more peaceful than a quiet night with crunchy snow. (60 words)

Quote:16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verification word: Detroit
+16 TPE

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020, 01:41 PM by Jobin.)

Code:

The intermission goalie fight. Two fans are selected before the game starts. Around the twelve minute mark in the second period, these two fans are led down to a "locker room" do get dressed in full goalie pads. As the horn sounds and the players leave the ice, these two fans skate out to opposite creases and wait for the announcer. "Come on Hawks fans I need to hear this place get loud! That's better, 3 - 2 - 1..." as the countdown ends, the two fans skate towards center, ditching their gloves and helmets and proceed to beat the shit out of each other. After 30 seconds, the winner gets a 2 night stay in a shitty motel.
Code:

Code:

A Jobin is slowly becoming more and more famous. Whether it's the Falcon's performance in the past to seasons or being selected as an all star, his name is becoming known. This has led to multiple endorsement deals, all of which he has turned down. This has also led to many TV shows wanting his beautiful face to cameo in their shows. Normally he would also decline all of these offers as well (they won't let him appear with his mask on), but he just could not refuse appearing on Brooklyn 99. If you don't watch closely you'll miss it, but in the cold opener of next week's show, A Jobin is being led into the holding cell in full goalie regalia.

Code:

Code:
The arenas in Edmonton and Hamilton certainly don't need any gimmicks to get people into the stadium for the series, but the arenas want to make sure they're pulling out all the stops on the big stage. Help the concessions department of one of these two teams develop a new product, with marketing specifically pertaining to this finals series, to be sold at the arena during the finals. Describe the product and the marketing in 150 words or create a promotional poster showing the product, its name, the price, etc.

[Image: Aj0zg8d.png]
Hawks Nest Meal Deal - Poutine and draft beer. $15

Code:

Code:
10. Graphic, 3 TPE
With the shift to a new era of SHL, HO has decided to redesign the championship trophy. Create a graphic of a new trophy to be handed to the winners of the S53 title.

[Image: RmCprfJ.png]

Code:

Code:
11. Graphic, 3 TPE
Design a Challenge Cup Championship banner for one of the teams in the finals, like those which appear on the side of the site.

[Image: CplfKvq.png]

Code:

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer.
Verification: HISTORIC

+16 TPE

[Image: awesomecakes.gif]
[Image: beautifulphoenix.gif]

PT pass but ill do a few of these if i have time okay @hotdog ?
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2020, 06:27 PM by hhh81.)

Quote:1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
My favorite task, again! Back in the first round, Buffalo and Hamilton meet (again). Buffalo plays Hamilton closely, doesn’t get swept, but falls in 6 games to the Steelhawks with an overtime series winning goal by Tig Murphy. The New England-Manhattan series goes the same, battling six games with the Wolfpack pulling through.

In the Western Conference, Calgary gets blown out by a much better Edmonton team with a 6-2 drubbing finishing them in Game 5. Julio Tokolosh had two game winning goals and 6 points to lead the Blizzard in the series, while Tony Pepperoni was held goalless but assisted on three of the Game 5 goals, including FR Finn-Rhys’ series clincher.
There is minimal drama in the seven-game-classic between NOLA and LAP. The battle back and forth without line goof drama, and late in the third period, the game is tied 2-2. Old-man Joe Kurczewski spurts his last bit of energy to snap a puck at Knox Booth. It goes off his chest protector, leaving a juicy rebound for Filip Zadina to redirect high glove side. It beats Booth and the Specters hold on to take the game 3-2 and upset the favored Panthers in 7 games. Aleister Cain held on and earned the first star, making 41 saves, 9 of which in the last 5:24 of the third period.

In the second round, the results go much the same. New England has no answer for Hamilton’s stifling two-way play, while Edmonton’s skill overruns the Specters. NOLA does pull off a win at home in Game 3 to stay relevant, but it wasn’t enough as Tony Pepperoni scored 5 goals and 9 points in 5 games to dispel the spooky bois.

In the finals, Edmonton and Hamilton meet again. It’s a close series, with every one of the six games being decided by only a single goal. Aaron Wilson rips the MVP trophy out of everyone else’s hands with an inhuman 11 points, including three game winners and 4 with the man advantage, as Hamilton captures the Challenge Cup.

The league weeps.

Quote:2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Hamilton and New England will likely remain two of the better teams in the league. It’s clear aaronwilson’s working harder than anyone on strategies, so Hamilton will be as tough as ever as their younger pieces from S46-48 take more steps toward their primes. Then NEW had a good team this year and will now have a decent goalie option with Ben Blue. Beyond that, I think Buffalo will also be there, as the first team in SHL history to ice two 2000+ TPE defensemen at the same time. With that dominance on the blueline alongside their deep, talented group of forwards, the youthful talents of Elizabeth Doyle between the pipes, and Tomen’s elite strategic mind, Buffalo is going to be a damn good team. The West will remain inferior to the East, though Edmonton and Los Angeles will remain teams to beat. Still, I put the early odds on the Eastern Conference champions hoisting the S54 Challenge Cup.

Quote:3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Who remembers S46? Remember when Karlstrasse Scholz @karlssens was one of the top prospects in the world? When we all talked about him as a finalist for the Quila Agante trophy? Remember that? Well, since he started playing for the Blizzard, nobody has been talking about Mr. Scholz, and that’s a shame. His name will be on all our tongues before too much longer as a contender for the Stevens as top defenseman. I haven’t even looked at stats, but I know this to be true. Give it time and we’ll all remember the power that is Mr. Scholz. Dude put up a 41-point season on a good team, and paired that with some other decent defensive stats. He probably won’t be a finalist this year, but in the next few seasons we will be talking about Karl again.

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Team USA is going to win Gold. They have the best all-around roster in the world, and Aleister Cain might as well win tournament MVP now. While teams from elsewhere were able to build rosters to compete, the FHM era will paint the rest of us poorly. Team USA may not lose a game this year, and I hate it. They’re too deep, too good, and scruff and Fuzz can’t fuck this up.

The other competition is the team with the best goaltending in Team Germany. While the blueline is young and shallow outside of superstar Cassius Darrow, the forwards are very good and the tandem of Benjamin Blue and Geezus Kryyst is the best in the world. They will likely platoon through the medal round to keep them fresh, then ride the hot hand again.

I was surprised when Darrow won the Best Defenseman award last year (I don’t customarily pay attention to IIHF anymore, to be honest), but I think I have to be a contender to take it home again. Germany will need me to play well to help carry a group of good, but not great, blueliners, and I think Darrow (soon to be the highest TPE in the league) is up to the task. I’m hoping we can medal this year; we’re definitely good enough and I trust Tomen more than almost anyone when it comes to strategy. I want a Gold medal game between USA-Germany.

Quote:13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words to qualify.
b. I don’t like Hamilton, but I think aaronwilson is the key. Dude clearly cares, or he wouldn’t drop the hundreds of hours he does min-maxing everything to make Hamilton win. If Hamilton’s builds favor a certain stat, that’s probably what we should all be favoring, at least a bit. Everyone but New England figured out Strength was key this year, so I give the edge to Hamilton’s physicals here.

d. Snow is okay. I hate shoveling snow SO MUCH, and hate driving in it more. It’s nice to look at occasionally, so if I was securely inside and just getting to watch snow fall softly, I think that would be relaxing. If I had to be out in it and the gross ice mess that accompanies it all too often, I don’t think that would be much fun. The -50 wind chill day last year where I still had to work was miserable. All in all, I don’t think I’d ever want to live somewhere without snow, like Florida. I mean… Florida is horrific. There’s a reason “Florida man” fills us all with fear and reluctance.

Phalanx

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 01:29 PM by _Blitz_.)

I think the phrase for Team USA is “the more things change, the more they stay the same.” We have a great group at the IIHF level, and the management team is really good at testing and finding solutions to strategic problems. I don’t think that they’ll be particularly challenged by the differences in a 14-team group.
To me, it’s entirely reasonable for Team USA to win gold this season, as they have many times in the last five seasons. Most of the team is returning, some of the younger players are ready to move up, and it seems like most of the team has been good with their SHL teams this season. Their main competition will likely come from Great Britain, Canada, and Czechia. Austria has many good players as well, but last I checked, they were still without a Fed Head. Switzerland is a sleeper pick to do well, but I think they’re still a little early in their development.

In Edmonton, fans can win autographed pucks, game-worn jerseys, or cash prizes in “Tony Pepperoni’s Pizza Toss”. Contestants start at center ice and the clock is set for 5 minutes. The object of the game is to take a piece of pizza dough that has been wrapped in cling wrap into the approximate shape and size of a hockey puck and toss it into a 12” diameter pizza crust. From there, they must run from center ice to the blue line and slide their pizza into the goal, and then run back to center ice to throw another pizza. Each pizza that reaches the goal is worth 3 points. There is the option to put sauce, cheese, and pepperonis on the pizza. If the contestant chooses to do this, they will get an extra half-point per pepperoni applied. They must have sauce and cheese on the pizza in order to get credit for the pepperonis. Pizzas that do not reach the net may not be retrieved and do not count for any points.

The thing I love about going to visit Strom and Rhys in Anaheim in the off-season is that there's always something going on. Surfing, movie premieres, Disneyland. This time, they woke me up at 4 AM one morning to drive out to LA for roles as Starfleet Academy student extras in "Star Trek: Picard". It was the three of us and some other Anaheim and LAP players getting dressed in the red uniforms and sitting in the futuristic lecture hall. It wasn't much. I think the only shot I might've been in was a quick cut of the room where we're all supposed to look scared. I got to shake hands with Patrick Stewart and he knew I played hockey, so that was cool.

9. Graphic, 3 TPE
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

[Image: 4wYvgUx.png]

I think Hamilton has the edge. Speed and acceleration are great, but they can be pushed around with superior strength, which also seems to feed other skills like positioning and face offs. Balance is also good for withstanding hits and maintaining puck control. This is a series between two really good possession teams, so keeping that control is going to be critical.

I have very little experience with snow; born and raised in Florida. That said, I have a little bit of experience with naturally-occurring ice, and my first car was ill-maintained in a place that snowed. I have been given no reason in my life to enjoy snow, aside from pelting my sister with a snowball when I was five years old. It’s cold, wet, and causes car accidents and rust from the salted roads. Snow is gross.

Verification Word: Daisy

COMPLETE

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 01:42 PM by Bruins10.)

Code:
Honestly, it would be very tough to count out either of these teams in the final. There is a reason why both the Edmonton Blizzard and the Hamilton Steelhawks are in the finals right now, and it is because they are so dominant on the ice. But personally, the New England Wolfpack made some interesting moves recently and they would have my vote to go the whole length next year and be dominant once again. Slap McShotty and Ola Wagstrom were already one of the top duos in the league. Along with Eko Van Otter, they are pretty young and have a great amount of TPE, and some will also not regress. Add in Rex Kirby on defense, a newly acquired Benjamin Blue in net. I think they personally bolsted their lineup to a point where it will be tough to take them down, and then even more tough to try to beat them 4 times in a 7 game series. If someone can, hats off to them. But they take my vote at this stage of the season.

Code:
Both teams have deep rosters that excel in their own way. You can easily name a defenseman from either top pairing to take home the Scott Stevens award. You can then look at their forwards and say the Ron Mexico and Jeff Dar is in place for either team and they will have to fight it out. Let us not forget how teams build their rosters, starting from the back. The John McBride can go to either Canadian team. But personally, the one award that I think Flacko Lagerfield or Tony Pepperoni will fight for will be the Sarmad Khan award. The excellence that they have, and the way Lagefield also dominated the regular season by leading the league in points and offensive game ratings he just gets my vote. But who is second in the league with offensive game ratings? You guessed it, Tony Pepperoni. They are weapons and effective on the ice and everyone can see that.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
The great award that I have come up with should be named the Simon Tremblay award. Why the Simon Tremblay award you might ask? Well because if it wasn’t for him, we would not be using FHM as we speak. Also, I am pretty sure that is the simmers name when I watch the streams so it has to go hand in hand. The award would be given out to the best analytical player in the regular season. It could be broken down into Offensive and Defensive awards, but I think with the amount of advanced stats that are available to us with the new sim engine and how analytics are so present in the modern day NHL and SHL, it would be cool to give out awards to people who excel in that field. More of like the unsung heroes because sometimes analytics go under the rug. I wish I knew who to give it out to because I do not really understand analytics and how the sim engine outputs it, that’s where the brains in this league come out and see and the committee does their voting as a whole so it isn’t biased.

Code:
I know a lot of people on here are not from Quebec so they probably do not know this show but one of the funniest and dumbest shows at the sametime that I enjoy watching is called Occupation Double, it is pronounced in french but spelt the same almost. It is pretty much a bunch of different women and men who go on and try to find love and become a couple in order to win the prize of a convo and a bunch of other stuff. I think my player would be good at that because it is all about playing as a team and well, you get to hookup with a bunch of hot women. So it is a mix of different things that I enjoy and with the fame from playing hockey in the SHL, it would be easier for me to meet someone and converse with other people on the show. Plus, I think I would be a pretty big catch for the girls who are puck bunnies and tend to be puck bunnies from Quebec

Code:
A. Tony Pepperoni is the easy one here. He not only leads the playoffs with the most points, but he also leads the playoffs with the best Game Rating and Offensive Game Rating compared to everyone else. Just goes to show how dominant he is on the ice. Also, if you look deeper, you notice how he is averaging 27 minutes a game thanks to all those overtimes he played in and is still managing to be a plus 4 in these playoffs. Goes to show that he produces more than he concedes when he is on.
B. Edmonton to me. Looking at the official stats of hits and shots blocked, you can notice that Edmonton tends to be hitting more and blocking more shots. So yes, the Hamilton Steelhawks have the better ratings when it comes to players, but the stats and the production on the ice seems to be favored to the Edmonton Blizzard. So I would have to take the team who is ahead in speed and acceleration aswell as hits and shots blocked compared to the individual ratings of Balance and Strength
C. Most people draft according to the hits and shots blocked categories, well atleast I do and it seems to work for me so I can not complain. But the league leaders in points these playoffs seem to be well ahead of everyone else so it seems pretty easy to go with the attackers of Tony Pepperoni, Barrett Blackwood and Robert Phelps. Pepperoni especially with his large amount of hits helps build a great base. On defense, we going to have Karlstrobe Scholz and Gabriel Johnson. Both leading their team in points aswell as racking up a large amount of hits and shots blocked, over 20 in both categories gets those secondary points. And I am going to go with Geezus Khryst in nets. He is second with Goals Against Average aswell as second in Save Percentage, and also makes a lot of saves.
D. Well I think this is easy for me to answer just because I am from Montreal. If you do not like snow and you are from montreal, what is wrong with you? Also, big hockey fan and hockey player so snow and arenas is what it is all about when it comes to Quebec Winters. Talking about Kaspars Claude for a second aswell, he comes from Latvia who has very cold winters but not too sure about the winters down there. Just, as a hockey player, you get accustomed to the cold and the snow so you embrace it as a culture rather than complain about it

Code:
Verification Word: Allmax

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

Simmer claim

Ez clap

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020, 02:02 PM by Weretarantula.)

[Image: MJvNE68.png]

9. Graphic, 3 TPE

@golden_apricot
[Image: su7Hicq.png]

10. Graphic, 3 TPE

[Image: SjA35xV.png]
The challenge 'cup' is now 7 feet tall and weighs 2.5 tonne. Akuma was used as the sculpt as he was the greatest hockey player who ever lived.

13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 5 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words to qualify.a. Who is the best player in this CC finals? Plenty of good candidates: Lagerfield, Phelps, Kryyst, McIntry, Pepperoni, Scholz, etc. Who's your choice for best player and why?
I'm going to go with Spektor. I don't know how the hell they are managing to stay in the game and hold out for so many overtimes but it's happening. The late game push of Edmonton is ridiculous, and I really do think they have Emiko to thank for that. That's why I'm picking them here.
I think the Steelhawks artillery in strength is a potential winner. Keeping hold of the puck is vital to the team and even if you can chase there's still no guarantee that you can get the puck back from a stronger opponent. It's a tough one to call but I think that may be the decider.
Tony Pepperoni, most points for Edmonton and a clear candidate to be picked
Flacko Lagerfield, most points in the regular season and even though he has been lackluster these playoffs he's still a decent option.
Robert Phelps, most points on Hamilton and a strong addition to Lagerfield and Pepperoni's firepower.
Samuel Michaud, actually the best defender on Hamilton despite what Gabe will tell you
Karlstrabe Scholz, most points amongst the defencemen in the playoffs
Emiko Spektor, for the reasons I said above

Who doesn't like snow? Snow is a wondrous thing. It turns everything into magical christmas land. It's so clean and pure when it's first fallen. Does it make things a pain in the ass? Yeah it can. Does it look horrible when it's muddy and frozen? Yeah it does, but it's worth it for the first reason. Coming from a country with arid desert, snow is awesome.

Verification: TheseTeamsSuck

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2020, 05:48 PM by Nhamlet.)

Code:
I don't see any major changes happening even with redistribution as many of the top teams are there because of the amount of TPE their players have. Namely you look at teams like New England, Los Angeles and Hamilton all performing about just as well. The main big changes that I would see as significant before the redistribution would be the inclusion of a Manhattan Rage and potentially Buffalo Stampede in a tight Eastern Conference. Mostly Manhattan because they had suffered from an unbelievable amount of lack of puck luck and Buffalo with their recent addition to improve their team, a trade that actually helps both on offense and defense. I suppose if I had to choose another team in the West, then to compete with LAP would be Calgary. Not that Edmonton doesn't have the same capability to grow but with how Calgary's bottom end being a little weaker due to the younger players they recently called up. Once they break that 1k TPE mark, they become even less and less of a liability and into offensive weapons that add to the Dragons.

Code:
Lots of love going to Lagerfield because I think it's well deserved given the season he had and is likely to have in the future. Becoming the scoring lead in the league above other offensive monsters like Ola Wagstrom and Tony Pepperoni is impressive, not to mention when your general support group doesn't technically have the same kind of TPE totals as those teams. In the classic definition debate of what most valuable means, Lagerfield's performance that stands above and beyond anybody else on his team. Being ahead by 9 and 14 points respectively in front of his teammates makes him a Ron Mexico winner for me if he can keep up the same kind of performances.

Code:
12. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
- Highlights of the S53 season (on or off the ice)
- S53 playoff round-up
- S53 Challenge Cup finals Breakdown
- S54 predictions

1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 5 minutes or 4 TPE for 7 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 6 Minutes or 4 TPE for 8 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.
https://soundcloud.com/nhamlet21/cw-podcast

Code:

a. I think it's a tough toss up between Flacko Lagerfield and Tony Pepperoni for this question. Both are offensive leaders on their team where a lot of the heavy lifting comes down to them. Not that that neither don't have any supporting casts but I'm that either team would agree that if it came down to the last seconds, they would want either of these guys with the puck on their stick to make something happen. Ultimately I'll go with Lagerfield just with how dominant he has been all over the regular season. Some tough opponents to face in the playoffs mean he hasn't had the same point totals but still would go with him.

b. Easily HAM with how FHM seems to like the dead-puck style of play with defenders just bullying all over their opponents. The speed might give Edmonton momentary advantages when it comes to winning those puck races but with the puck on them, they'll eventually get bodied off of it. Plus in a tight series, Edmonton will inevitably get worn out.

c. Lagerfield/Pepperoni/Wilson
McIntyre/Murphy
Krryst

For the most part it was a simple view of seeing who had the most TPE. If we're talking literal fantasy points here then it's also supported by the fact these are some of the best fantasy scoring players in general on their respective teams. Lagerfield in particular somehow found a way to almost catch up to Wagstrom's absurd point totals as a result of all those goals. Pepperoni in tandem with him is an unfortunate memory I have thanks to the person who won first in my fantasy group having an amazing 1-2 punch with these two to knock me into 2nd place.

d. Tough to say. Lived in and still do in a prairie winter meaning that for the most part when snow comes, it's because it's cold. That also results in having to do things like shoveling the sidewalk and driveway, needing to drive more carefully to avoid accidents...I guess I'll say I'm not a huge fan of it because the more positive parts of it, snowboarding, skiing, etc. aren't things that I partake in a lot so if I could be without it I'd probably be pretty happy.

Code:
tea

Code:
Welfare Claim, 3 TPE
NSFL PT

19/16 TPE

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]