Create Account

Interview with an ancient Dragon
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 10:51 AM by kikish18.)

Quote:"Double Media - Week 1 - 7361 Words - Ready For Grading"

Interview Hello there SHL users! Since SHL has entertained users since 2010. I offer You interview with one of the players who joined in this league back in ancient S15. Kriss Labsvards is Calgary Dragons Franchise player and for 16 seasons he was in teams lineup. Solid core player for several seasons. Solid fundament in Dragons defence and offense. I’m Peter Enalty and I brought  You unique interview. Before You read this interview… Labsvards asked to play “In still of the night ”. No particular reason, just for mood.

Interview So I made long way from Calgary to Latvia. Why I chose to do this now? Well in the very end of S52 he was inducted into Calgary Dragons Hall Of Fame. 20 seasons after his retirement from SHL. Was his commitment to league so huge that it had to be discussed for 20 seasons? Or absolutely opposite? May be he did such a small commitment that it took 20 seasons to remember? Well I and You (the reader) don’t know it yet.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Interview I met him in old retirement home. Sitting alone in the wheelchair. Next to wheelchair was walking stick and coffee cup on the table. I was walking from behind and when I get closer I immediately scent that coffee cup was full of whiskey. I’d never predict such a first impression. I walked in front of him and introduced myself.

Interview Good day!

[He didn’t replied. He remained silent and kept strange stare to me after that he avoided me and looked different direction. I felt embarrassed but I insisted to communicate. ]
Interview Ammm. Excuse me. I’m Peter Enalty from Calgary Dragons media. Helper said that you are Krišs Labsvārds. Is it right?

[Understood that won’t easily get rid of me the old man stopped avoid my look and said something in Latvian.]

Labdien.

Interview Excuse me? What does that mean?

It means “Good day”.

Interview Oh! For a while I was afraid that You won’t speak in English. I mean you are Krišs Labsvārds, right?

No.

Interview …..

I’m Krišs Dāvids Labsvārds.

Interview I beg my pardon but are You the famous Latvian SHL hockey player? I believe none ever mentioned your middle name.

It could be true that none ever did know my middle name. I never mentioned it actually. It all happened so fast. There was no time to call me in my full name. Most of time I was called the “Labsy”. I wasn’t against being called that. Actually I like that. And I wasn’t against being not called in the full name. Not always people should know everything.

Interview Could You agree for interview? I mean I traveled quite distance. I bet you already know that you have been inducted into Calgary Hall Of Fame. Also there is information loss from most of your seasons. So I had thought that You could tell how really happened..

Could I tell? Then I was 4 time league MVP in a row, scored 100 goals in the single season and got Taylor Swift for a wife and You know what? I fu**ed your mom either!

Interview Wow. I thought you were offensive defenseman for different reasons.

Offensive? Yeah… I was offensive. That’s true… Do You really want to endure old cranky bastard as me?

Interview Bastard... You mean like pesky Lats back in S20's?

I’ll tell You everything on my own but You must promise that when people read this there will be “In still of the night” in the background … at start at least.

Interview Of course!

[Image: edgars-kulda-45000828.jpg]

It… It was long long time ago. Childhood. I remember I had to play in local Latvian hockey league.. The LSHL. It was fun but I wanted prove myself. I chose to travel to Canada. It was middle of S14 season I think. I was late for draft and season was already begun. I had friend from Latvia. @Skipper Emils Vilmenietis. He played as winger for SMJHL team Montreal Impact. It was lovely team. Later it changed name to Militia. I  was not fan of that but who cares my opinion anyway. I was paid to put pucks in the one net and stay away from the other net.

So I arrived to Montreal. I knew what I wanted to be. I wanted to be offensive right handed defenseman. That time Shea Weber was great example of that. He was my idol. I wanted to be like him. I wanted that reporteers come to me and ask to shoot puck from seats into net.

[Image: 229.jpg]

First season in Montreal was promising. They were recent champions and I felt I could get Four Star cup too. I played 24 games. Got 22 points as I remember. 6+16 must be. Those numbers were in my head for a really long time. Most of it I got from powerplay. Then I realized that I was like Sandis Ozolinsh.. The Latvian legend. You know when You think like that You feel confident. Very confident.

[Image: c24b7a21ed7e5c907f9579b626b0bc57.png]

Montreal had great atmosphere. Besides Vilmenietis there was on the other forward @ByrdeMan Lionel Byrde. He was hottest prospect. Hotter than me. Even I would be full season guy I wouldn’t stand a chance against him. He had that what I was missing. A solid body check. He was powerforward at first. Later he changed game to more likely playmaking style. Similar was with @silins Sandijs Silins. He was Latvian too. We played same pair I think. He was less offensive minded but did great job cleaning front of net. Actually I learned a lot from him. There was @rieksts Lillais too. He was astonishing Latvian defenceman and same left handed as Silins. Eventually I was able to play in same pair with both of them. That time most of this SHL … universe I learned from @JNH S14 Montreal Impact GM. He was very kind person. Really supportive. Excellent example of junior player GM. I remember that he got in the end of season bunch of awards. Emils was a savage and he got most that shiny awards. Then was Byrde… he got solid amount of presents too. I got my minute of glory too. I got award for best defenceman. It was hearthwarming moment….. And unusual… Finally somebody that appreciates what You are doing even though it was just your duty. To play good and be active on team roster.

[Image: e551230ad58f14b046f21035ff8097da.jpg]

Edmonton Blizzard scouted me before draft . Asked several questions. I was positively suprised. I wasn’t against that they would draft me and on the one hand was already with my mind with them. They had one strong defender and I got idea that I could learn a lot and then replace him. I think his name was Willie Weber … I think…. As for suprise Calgary Dragons drafted me (3 rd or 4 th round I think. Can’t remember exactly ) After draft I got communicated by  McZehrl @Chris-McZehrl. I never thought that we could become good friends but we did. I remember day that Germany won world cup in Brazil. I gave congrats to him for his country success. Man… He was hyped that day.  He is hard working guy and appreciated his effort for team or my comfort. As for Dragons. I didn’t knew what to suspect. I was suprised. At least I was sure that I should get another year in minors.

[Image: 8995353.jpg]

Next season in Montreal was harder. Points didn’t gather so well. I knew I could do better. Team too. I wanted to be that’s seasons best defender but all the glory got guy with some kind funny name. Mars Simeon The Third or something like that. I was shoocked that he was considered to be the best defender. I learned a lot from Silins. And he from me. Once he got hattrick. My dream I never fullfilled. He got drafted to Calgary too. I believe they had strategy to draft same nation players for the team so there would be some better communication between us and then later we could freely communicate with rest of the team… Best what I got was few 2+2 games in Montreal. Very inconsistent style of playing. In the Play-Offs we were out quickly. I knew I progressed a lot so I knew I lost my last chance to get Four star cup. Actually I little bit hoped that in the end of my carrer SHL GM gonna send me down and I will get my last chance to play for Montreal Impact…. Heh… That was unrealistic though!
I knew Calgary wanted me on the roster quickly. After series in Montreal I flew all the way to Calgary and got the jersey on. Beautiful and same time aggresively red. I got small roster spot on third pair. It was unusual for me but I didn’t hesitate. Game was tied and I got a chance to send forward  1v1. Didn’t hasitate. We won and extented series. But eventually we didn’t got the cup.

[Image: image-placeholder-title.jpg]

After summer Calgary drafted bunch of Latvians again. Birks @Birks , Zommers @kristz were forwards, Vitols was very solid and highly ranked prospect, defenseman. Vitols later dissapeared. Birks and Zommer hold for a while. Silins too..... Contacted with Montreal friends. Kept communicate with Calgary members. They looked all right. Chris, Webb, Vladislav, Eric Lehner. My rookie season was fun. Feeling that you are playing good in that level. Being younger and weaker than others but anyway managed to score and win. Season was pretty good. I played with Vladislav Smirnov a lot instead of Silins. Smirnovs was shot blocking machine. Great defensive example. Season ended with 10+ goals, also bunch of assists. I can’t remember if we were on top of season and got wiped out in first round or we were in the middle but made at least second round. Doesn’t matter anyway anymore. I got into voting of best rookie award. I believe it was called Ryan’s Jessters award. In the name of Calgary goaltender actually. S15 Ryan’s Jessters award got my old friend from Montreal. Lionel. Lionel Byrde. He was with Renegades then. Scored 3 points more than I.... I was mad that I lost so close but I was glad that other guy was Byrde. I mean I was sure that he deserves it. I remember that Chris said that I should get the award because I got almost same amount of points by being defenceman. I agreed on that too. Bit pain in the ass was last regular season game. For unknown reasons I was injured. It was begginning of the game. I could have scored in that game. Who knows may be it would be enough to win rookie award. Anyway this is just speech of jealously. Again lost chance to get trophy…. You know.. When You are young You are very motivated to get any trophy that is possible to achieve.

[Image: dbbcb9e061d6e2eb7ee6100567d7ebec--cream-...pitals.jpg]

Sophomore year was much funnier with interactions in locker room. Hell of the fun. How was my sophomore season individually? Terrible. Worse than rookie season. I was suprised why. But team was pushing good. Sandijs Silins pulled shootout goal. Third line defender. Stay at home defenseman with particular suprising skills.

Rest of my carrer is pretty blur to me. I can’t put together certain dates or seasons but I remember people around me.

[Image: Flames-David-Rittich.jpg]

@MVerminski Mike Verminski was number one goalie when I appeared in SHL. He was strong for while after too. Once I remember he was so good in play off, that I made a joke poster by putting him on condom commercial. 96% safe or something! Also I remember how good he was first season I picked him on SHL fantasy, season later he fell back aswell as my fantasy points. It was weird when he disappeared. It felt like change was coming. Basically when he started to slow down, I slowed down too.

[Image: EB20120328REVIEWS120329980AR.jpg]

@gorlab (S18  - ...) The “goat” Steven Jalopski was one big strong left handed Canadian defenseman. I love that guy! He appeared in Calgary roster bit later than I. He was older than me and started his carrer at Hamilton. In S18 he came from free agency … I think….  For few times he was put up front too when Dragons had hard times on scoring. I played with him same  pair for about season or two I think. Actually I think people nowadays wouldn’t say his name loud. Treat like Voldemort upps.. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named… He did some stuff in the past and got punishments. I … I.. I can’t be objective about that because I always saw his bright side. It was fun to play with him in the same team. He stand for his teammates and were gifted personality with really good sense of humor. Although I fought on ice more than he (I think so)… I suppose he would be better enforcer than me. He had skill to defend team. On and off the ice. I was offensive defenseman, he was defensive – aggressive one. God.. We would be such unstoppable duet if things wouldn’t go the way it went. Boy I remember how huge Avs fan he was. It was fun to play with him. It fits to say about him “brother from another mother”.

[Image: cut.png]

@Jaymay (S17 – S20) There was Logan Valentine… And … And he appeared some while after my debut. I played rarely with him but it was such a shame. Valentine was absolute beast with offensive production. I wanted to be Shea Weber, then he was Erik Karlsson. For long time our team core first pair was Jalopski – Valentine. And when times hit hard he played as forward too.  Logan had charisma.  Fun person too. One of my favourite pair-mates of all time. He came to Calgary in my sophomore year. Spend four seasons with us…. For Logan it was long time to stay in one team, he always changed sides. I’m happy he stayed for a long time with us… and I believe our team gave him the best years in his carrer. I truly believe so!

[Image: r336841_600x400_3-2.jpg]

@ThatDamnWalrus Gil Lemar (S20 – S25). Gil joined team in very hard period. More or less Calgary Dragons were top notch team most of the time. Team that was going for the cup. I remember Gil as young winger. I… I.. Would determine him as playmaker. At least I remember he wanted to be like that. He was able score too and did I think well. I remember in his sophomore year he scored more than assisted – “playmaker”. Gil had huge personality. If somebody said I was team comedian….. Then I believe so only then when Gil left the team. He was hilarious sometimes… Actually no… All the time! Always made me smile and think some stupid stuff too. …. Yeah… Gil left team after few seaons. I can’t remember if he was traded or left as FA. I believe he was traded to Panthers. I think can’t remember excatly because that is sad memory for me. He was S20’s team comedian and winger playmaker.

[Image: one_larionov05.jpg]

@cookies Vlad Smirnov (S16 – S22). I remember Blizzard had strong offensive defenseman Willie Weber. I thought he will be my example but Dragons drafted me and I got lifetime opportunity to play with Vladislav Smirnov. Probably best S10’s era best defensive defenceman was right left from me.(Huh. Sounds funny.) My defence sucked in my junior seasons. Vlad was exepcional example for me. Vlad was captain material. Always clean front of the net helped Mike to play more comfortable. And the courage… What a courage he had… Courage to block shots. I think he should have franchise records for that. Later in my carrer I blocked shots good and for one or few season I was at the top! But that was not enough to beat Vlads numbers. Teams soul and fundament. Probably fapper. I might be wrong but I’m sure one of the Dragons was absolute fappionologist about that time.

[Image: 11a3a4_4ac8be115a6f47c9bb1b1e9ff25b6bcc~mv2.jpg]

@Ballerstorm (S25 – S32)Randy Randleman. Always scored more than assisted… I think. Pure goalscorer for sure. Always imagined him having cowboy hat and some spare aces of spade in his sleeves. I don’t know why. I just had that badass impression about him. Cool one. For the record – I think he was most gifted goalscorer I have played with. Randy was huge huge huge improvement for us. After those few bad seasons he was somekind of messiah or Model 101 sent from future. I had chance to see tip of iceberg of his awesomeness. I think rest of his carrer he was unstoppable. He had iconic fit for Yevgeni Kuznetsov. I really liked Randy. In his rookie year he brought back the Ryan Jesster award back to its home. That was well done!

[Image: cut.jpg]

@Jala (S20 – S32) Sachimo Zoidberg. He was great two way defender. I liked how quickly he adapted the the SHL level. On the one hand I did it faster, on the other hand he did it more consistent.  He did what I wanted to do. Am I jealous? Absolutely no. He did the function that I had to do but I didn’t manage. He was really kind person off the ice and even if You have a real reason to be jealous to him You can’t. Although he was scoring type defender, he did it as team player. He had skill to score more but I believe he was more cautious than me. In the end I think his career was more successful than my.

[Image: E7MX4PFR2JGL7MOVMAR55UJS54.jpg]

@DollarAndADream (S24 – S32) Michael “Big Game” Boychuk. Hah! I think there is no need for explanations. His stylish nickname speaks for himself. He was younger than Sachimo and he gave offensive production little slower. They played for a while in same pair and they remind me of old good times after S16 when I was playing with Vlad. I mean they had same type of chemistry but they nailed it. They did it so good. I was wondering how we didn’t get cup faster with this dynamic duet. Michael had really fun personality. He was kind too and cheered when it was necessary. A captain material. I believe I gave him the “C” patch after my captaincy. His mentality off the ice reflected also on the ice. I mean – You have to understand why do we call  him “Big Game Boychuk”. Even when he was a rookie or sophomore he had gift put in the net when You need the most. You can have best forward in league in points but then You get only tripple fold value of “Big Game Boychuk”. Because of his big games he carried in the end of my carrier I can say that I played in the team when we won the cups. It was team effort of course but Michael was … holding it together.

[Image: c33dd464-6192-4a7c-b7c4-758cfaf9320f-AP2...042595.jpg]

@Mack (S25 – S32) Alex Mack. Mack was skilled. In some way he was a like Birkavs but with more enchanted defensive aspect of the game. He was terrific playmaker. He was very iconic center. If I have to play association game – first thing in my mind when You say a word “center” – Alex Mack. Also I remember right he didn’t get so fast on roster spending a lot of time in juniors even though he could make it faster in any other team. He was center so… We could think that team had big contest for top 1 center player because we had a lot of skilled strong centers but everyone did their part. We had roles and Mack nailed it. He was 3rd line center for a while in the team. Sometimes swithcing with Schnitinfritz. But most important was that he was able to produce in the ice time he was given. What a team player have to be to play in 3rd line even though you could play in any other SHL team 1st line. I have to thank him that he put up my score sheets in the very end of my career. Iconic example of team player!

[Image: jagr-flames-jersey.jpg]

@cookies (S24 – S32) Schnitinfritz Jagr. I never have tried to say that word loud. Just “Hey You beautiful bastard!”. Schnitinfrizt remind me of exceptional player in special units. I think in start of his carrer he was top league shorthanded goal scorer at some point. May be in Play Offs or pre-season. I can’t remember right for sure. … I think. He was very similar to Mack. But Mack was pure center player while Schnitinfritz started carrer as right wing if I’m not wrong. And also one big difference was that he owned beatifull skilled shot. And the dangles baby… he did it too! Actually he did everything and I saw no weakness in him. Schnitinfritz could be easy any other SHL team first line center but he stayed with the team. You know why? Because he is unselfish team player. He and Mack were strong center duet. I think he may be started as winger but that is just weak reflection of my memory. Schnitinfrizt was hard working player and reminded me of one other so hard working player even though rest of him was totally different - shooting and offensively minded. It made me feel that Smirnov never left.

@Birks (S17 – S24) Roberts Birkavs. Well I think he was one the most talented centers Latvia have had. Actually Vilmenietis – Birkavs – Pettyfer was absolute stunt to everyone at certain time. They all completed each other. Perfect chemistry. I mean they outplayed way stronger and recognised players. Birkavs was playmaker especially good on powerplay. Together we punished many teams. Birks did incredible job on scoring too. Only Pettyfer could have gathered more points and goals that him… I think … Again… Birkavs had funny personality. He was so friendly to me and others and always wanted to stand up for the team. Temper he had too… Sometimes he overreacted to few things he get penalties from league too. It was around same time when Jalopski had problems. I think all of that was just echo of that unpleasant things that happened to the dragons around S20. Anyway Thats not how I remember Birkavs. He was my friend. I was so excited that Dragons drafted him. We had opportunity to spend a lot of time in the locker room and we did. We trolled rest of the team by chatting in our native Latvian language. We would be friends even if we would be different nation. Despite I had no opportunity to win the Challenge cup in the same roster the Hockey Gods gave us another reward. When recently was formed team Latvia we got Gold medal. That was unbelieveable. That was kind of miracle. As I said to my Latvian friends: “Only gold shines!”. I repeated that as much as I could because that was the way how to get that far. Half road was in the mind. We knew what we wanted and we got that! Sad memories overwhelm me when I remember he left team after S24. If I’m right he went to West Kendall Platoon where Pettyfer was.... Anyway I would like to nominee him as best Latvian center that we ever had!

[Image: 1801465466_0a6df16c6d.jpg]

@Wongy (S21 – S32)Hunter Wong. This is bit hard to me because I will always remember Dragons goalie as Verminski. Hunter switched Verminski and was outstanding improvement for Dragons. Confident and skilled and tallented player in the net helps skaters to feel confident too… First when I met Hunter I know that he will be outstanding and talented player. Ahhh… It takes a bite out of myself realising that I have missed this players best years. As the old saying goes – excellent goalie is half of the team. Hunter Wong was perfect. Goalies job is very unthanksfull…. You know… One mistake and it comes to score sheet. The last line that can save the day. And even If You saved the day and got the win usually credit goes to scorers. I was a defenceman, I was in the middle of it, I know. Wong didn’t gave a two shits about thing like that. Like rest of the Dragons he was playing for the team. Numbers and credits after that appeared themselves. I feel sorry that I didn’t help guard the net for Wong so good I was needed to.

[Image: Kevin+Weekes+Atlanta+Thrashers+v+New+Jer...3i5s7l.jpg]

@Your Mothers Favorite Goalie (S30 - S32) Richard Dick Hocolate. Although I met him not very much and only few games I had to help him he keeps in my mind. Most that time he played in juniors but when we met... Well he was funny and dude that can cheer You up...... The quote was fantastic - Your mothers favorite goalie! Jeesus! I hope he did the same when I left. Cheered up the team with same enthusiasm. I hope that after Wong (he was in his best years when I left) he could be great to save their asses. For long time they should be the strong fundament of Calgary Dragons castle!

[Image: bennett_2018-10-28.jpg]

@kristz (S15 – S22)Krists Zommers. He was same draft year as I….  I will always remember him as young hockey dedicated forward. Good offensive instincts and skill. Actually he was scoring really well for 2nd, 3rd line winger. Yeah, of course he had lack of physical strength and aggressiveness than rest of the team but that didn’t changed a damn in whole teams picture. Me, Birkavs and Zommers were most hard working Latvians in Calgary Dragons. Lillais and Silins didn’t put a lot of effort except for first seasons of the career. Unfortunately Zommers decided to end career really quick. I was shocked, sad…. But there is actually nothing You could do about it. It was his decision. I know that I in his place wouldn’t do the same. But that was his decision and as a teammate I had to support him. He was not first liner but such a player for a team is necessary to fill the right spots or do certain roles.

[Image: 1089565866.jpg.jpg]

@O4L (S23 – S32) Oferyn Martell. He should have carried me! I was getting worse at playing and Oferyn should carry my all that years in the end of my carrier! We played for while in same pair I remember. Oferyn most of the time spent in 3 rd pair… And… There was time I had to play in 3rd pair too. I lost my ambition and Oferyn in my opinion little bit too. We could easily be superstars if we wanted to we both had potential. But we didn’t wanted that. We already had a team and there was no need to us to do something more. We enjoyed what we had. I’m glad that when I raised Challenge Cup he was right next to me.

@rieksts (S16 – S23) Reinis Lillais. We were a bunch of Latvians for a while in the SHL. He did solid job and was all-around skilled defeseman. He was in the middle of defensive minded Silins and offensive minded me. Actually he was able to smash the bones out of flesh  by his bodychech. So our Latvian defenseman quartet in Calgary consisted of offensive shooter me, defensive shot blocker Silins, physical bodychecker Lillais and puck mover Martins Daugavins. Martins by the way was hot prospect at start. Anyway Daugavins and Silins disappeared after few season. Lillais hunged for a while more… But just a little bit. I can’t remember right. I think Lillais once scored hattrick in IIHF tournament or SHL regular season game. If I’m wrong then it was Silins or Daugavins. Anyway Reinis Lillais was capable for a lot greater carrer. In SHL he scored 5 goals.  He got all the chance to do it. I don’t know why it happened that I was last Latvian in Calgary.

[Image: luke-glendening-11-11-17-18cd36b7397a6da5.jpg]

@mstuk41 (S25 – S32) Nicholas Pedersen. I didn’t had long opportunity to play with him. I wish I had. He was terrific. Long time team didn’t have a so overall strong forward as Pedersen. I mean about the time Pedersen appeared only Esa Anrikkanen was equal to him. Rest of the team was just developing and me… I was burned out. I was finally 1000 club but I felt that my skills are getting worse. As an offensive defenseman I was useless shit. All I could just to block few shot then. Nicholas gave a important strenght to the team. Besides that he had charisma and that magic that drives team ahead everything. I mean I had only few seasons to meet him but somehow he stuck in my mind a lot. I didn’t mentioned nothing about his numbers. His number 9 was really iconic. All other numbers that are related to score sheet were impressive.. I mean in the score sheet. I remember him as a productive point gatherer forward. Same as Mack and Schnitinfritz, he could be number one center in any other team. If think for a moment we had 4 elite center type players. He came as center and willingly switched to wing. Great example of leadership and team player.

[Image: the-chicago-blackhawks-might-be-interest...hockey.jpg]

@NUCK (S29 – S32) Bobba Nuck. He came from Hamilton if I remember right… And he won two cups with them. You know… I think Dragons got then lucky charm. His style of game was similar to mine. Defenseman who acts as forward most of ice-time. He joined also at moment I was totally a useless shit so his defensive assistance was necessery for aswell. But yeah… As I said. He was like lucky charm to gather two more cups. Perhaps we pulled ourselves up. Perhaps it was GMs masterpiece plan. Perhaps it was his absolute dominance on ice in time around S30. Who nows. Besides his fortunate appearence he was great locker room guy. Always fun guy and remembered. I'm honored that I had chance to play with him in same team. Especially in his best years. I believe he was rocket after S30 too... But man... What he did back in that days! ..... Thats hard to hit again... For anyone! I don't have teeth left how many awards he got that season!

[Image: jonathan-marchessault.jpg]

@The_Mazais (S28 – S32) Chris Johnson. CJ… God damnit that I had no chance to play longer with that guy in same team. For a long time I didn’t saw a Latvian player who would be at my, Pettyfers or Birkavs level. CJ was incredible. Perfect improvement. It was primetime of his carrer when he joined to Calgary Dragons. He was forward. Although I remember he started his carrrer as center and then switched to wing. At least in Calgary he was playing as winger. I don’t how that all happened – if it was any GMs request or he wanted to switch by himself. Yeah.. I knew him not for a long time but he kicked in my memory. He had well saturated hockey sence. Didn’t held a puck for too long, made really nice dishes to Schnitinfritz. Their combo was perfect. Also he was fast as lightning. In Calgary everyone was fast so this his strong side was not seen very bright…. But who cares if You are in President Trophy winner team or better the Challenge Cup Champion (LOL a CCC)… He fit well in Calgary Dragons legendary team. He was also defensively skilled even though as a forward. CJ was skilled two way playmaking forward. Of course Bronsen Zerchai was most defensive skilled forward I was ever seen. I have to make apology to that I compared him to myself. He was definetely better than I ever was!

[Image: GettyImages-1192776566.jpg]

@O4L (S15 – S21)Kari Barkov. He was teams biggest important forward… At that time… When I came in Dragons roster McZehrl just left, Kain Webb later and then Eric Lehner was gone. Kari stood up for team. Wouldn’t be he we would get bad playoff drought times faster and longer. I believe he deserved more than he got in score sheet. He was so hard working guy. So dedicated. Team will always appreciate what he did for us. I’m really sad that was not him next to me when I lifted Challenge up. He deserved it more. I think I’m more unsatisfied than he about that. I think everyone feels like that who played with this amazing hard working player. May be in the another life my friend. Yeah.. He was good friend to me. Hah! I hope he didn’t let me win that time we played online Scrabble. Gosh… Good memories all around him.

[Image: komarov_leo_cup640.jpg]

@Rublic (S19  - S32)Bronsen Zerchai. Well if You think You are man enough. Forget it. Bronsen was the real man.  I mean that moustache and beard. Man like attitude. I wonder if Old Spice have offered him a chance to film in commercial. Bronsen was so iconic off ice that almoust forgot to mention that he was absolute manhood example on ice too. I mean huge powerforward winger. Gifted to bench opponent players. Strong on skates, hitting hard, blocking shots. Good playmaking skills but actually if I remember right he scored pretty much too. Hit the spot in our penalty kill teams immediately. Once he was ready to switch from winger to defence when we had problems in defensive pairs. That comes rarely but to be honest. As a forward he did have a better defensive game than me… ever. I’m glad that had such a player in our team. Bronsen fitted in. He was another part of unique Dragon roster.

[Image: BBZYp0x.img]

@ Chris-McZehrl  (S25 – S27) VLAD McZehrl. I spent 4 playoff games playing in the same roster where Chris McZehrl. When I first met Vlad. I already felt familiar with him. It was in S27 when I first met him on ice. I was old Captain and he was young rookie. I should teach him but I felt that he already knows stuff how to play hockey. He was forward full of ambitions. If he wants something he does all whats necessery to achieve it. And fast. His will to get cup was one of several reasons why we won in S27. It was achievement of a group. Of course but young forward full of ambitions fulfills it. Next season he was so unbelieveable that eventually got as nominee for Ron Mexico award. IN HIS SOPHOMORE year. Vlad was outstanding forward and GOD knows what would happen if he would stay in Calgary. He eventually left the team. I believe he had to be a roamer. Actually that was common also to Chris. Chris was outstanding player too. Both really tallented forwards and necessery top line forwards for any team. I also remember that Chris used to cheer me up when I hit hard or not so hard times at the start of my carrer.  He cheered up when I lost for Ryan Jesster award and when I had bad sophomore season he cheered me up again saying that he had same that rookie season somehow was better than sophomore. If I would be better captain in my days I would cheer up VLAD McZehrl as Chris did back in the days to me.

[Image: 37cbd3bfafa6f9060b81e109ee488aee.jpg]

@Steelhead77 (S18 – S32) Esa Anrikkanen. First when I met Esa Anrikkanen I didn’t thought much about him. I thought regular tallented forward has came into our roster. Matey Stransky came year before Esa Arikkanen. He was skilled too with great potential, fun locker room guy too. I though Esa would be same. He was winger back then and I remember that he got in our team roster really quickly. What that was by my point of view? Young player gets all quickly well done. Adapts SHL hockey really fast. Fits in our roster. Does hard work. Has good taste of humor. I thought at first that he will be regular Dragon. In early seasons he switched from wing to center. That was impressive in my opinion. Also in very short moment of time he was big as everyone else. Probably worst prediction in my life. He was great. He was outstanding. He was like chicken parm…. Do You know old Gretzky’s saying? Hard work beats tallent if tallent doesn’t do hard work! This saying describes Esa Anrikkanen by few percent. He was more than tallent and hard work. He was deducated. Really. He always had some idea for concept and he fullfilled it perfectly. He was kind person and caring for each of his teammates. I mean people remember me about my speeches in locker room. But Esa… He was great at that too. Ten fold better than me. He did jokes too. He loves food. I mean I thought I love food but when I got to know Esa better I understand that I actually hate food. Not really but just relatively. Ahhh. The great exchange of culture. Chicken parm vs Shashlik. Chicken vs pork. Cheese vs Onion. Ahhh…. We shared same passion but Esa was so iconic with that. Esa had several ways how to get recognition. I believe Lanny McDonalds type of mustache would be one of them… Esa even without these qualities would be perfect teammate. With his outstanding hard work he would also greatest of all of them…. But why he should shine only with that? Especially when he has so many additional skills. It is hard to describe how good friend Esa was. I mean he was one of the rare foreign persons who joined LSHL (Latvian league). Understanding nothing in Latvian he was willing to play in Rīgas Trieciens (translates as Riga Impact/Blow/Shock). Who would do that if not Esa?! I’m really glad that I met him. I really do. Such calm, generous, exemplary personality in my life. Also I remember days when we were bored and I had FHM. I used NHL dynasty and added several Calgary Dragons teammates and also few different SHL players. I simmed seasons. All of us were pretty solid carrers but Esa… For Gods sake somehow cracked the game and scored 120 – 170 goals in regular season. Oh course it was for fun but I knew that there was little bit a truth in that what happened. I believe there is named SMJHL trophy in the name of him. He would deserve SHL trophy in name of his. But on the other hand that fits more. Although he would deserve highest rank of award I believe that was smart and honorable move to give this award to junior league. Why? Because he was example of dedication and potential to do great things. I was fool before that I didn’t believe that I played in same team with greatest SHL player. God knows if GM was sure about it. Also GM himself would know. Talking about GM. There was time in S27 -  Team got to finals. Worst case scenario : 0-3 in finals. It would be so embarrassing to get sweet… in finals. I don’t know what happened. Perhaps Esa sprinkled his magic on ice… I don’t know. but that is rather different story… Where was I? Oh yeah! Esa Anrikkanen won several cups and lived happily ever after. The End!

Of course I was attached not only to my Calgary teammates but also my fellow Latvian brothers.

@Skipper (S14)Emils Vilmenietis. Mainly biggest reason why I kept playing in LSHL and absolutely responsible why I joined SHL and especially Montreal. He suggested that and I listen him. Emils had charisma that works and let the people stick with him. Prikulis the legendary Latvian goalie. I think the only Latvian who had any of the individual awards. He was big reason why Latvians joined SHL at first. Emils Vilmenietis was reason why we joined the Impact. Alens Paurs was same age as I. Silins too. Lillais. We were five Latvians who shared same team and passion to hockey. At start. Then our numbers significially increased around start of S20’ and end of S10’s. We were shocking the hockey world. Yes, our numbers have dwindled throughout the years. But still few roam SMJHL and SHL…

Interview Woow! A amazing story. All of it!

I didn’t finish You bloody cu*t. Oh… where was I. The best moment in SHL was in S18 or S19 when in the end of regular seaosn we were close to miss playoff spot. It all went so tricky that in the last game of regular season we were fighting for play off spot with …. The team who was fighting for a last playoff spot too. They were Texas Renegades I think. That day stopped whole league. Saying wow… they are fighting for last chance. It was so intense all or nothing game. I think that day I was more nervous than S27 final 0-3 situation. We were on the losing streak and I wanted to cheer a team so I said legendary speach in the locker room:

We won that game. It was close game. Sometimes I think I shouldn’t do it because “not that day stuff” happened later in the start of S20’s. On the other hand little restart isn’t bad for team. That prepares for future. It’s like a circle of the life You know.

Interview Talking about circle of life. Do You know that …

Interrupt me again You little piece of s*it and I’ll put the walking stick up Your a*us!

Were was I…. Oh yeah…. The end! You wanted something to mention to me. Now is the time.

Interview  There is your ancestor in SMJHL!

F*ck no! I don’t have a son! I’m old piece of s*it. I retired S32. By the time I last time f*cked there he should be 21 and legimate to play SHL. I know my f*cking genes.

Interview You have a daughter and her son is playing for SMJHL as DFA. He is 17 now and will legimate for SMJHL draft this summer. He is right handed defenceman as You and even with similar style of game as You did in juniors.

You’re s*itting me!
….
That Montreal chick?

Interview For my knowledge he lives in Calgary.

Oh f*ck! F*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck… f*ck, f*ck, f*ck… f*ck!

Ok… I will call to my agent kikish18 to take care of the kid. At least that is most how I can help him for now. Shit... S15 I visited training camps in Calgary. F*cking Verminski condoms!

Interview Isn’t he dead?

Move aside! I have to draw pentagramm with goat’s blood. Of course kikish18 is alive! Just need the right way how to communicate!

InterviewExcuse me…

Move your useless weak body to the left! I need space for the ritual. Didn’t you know that lot  of Latvians are pagans?… d’oooh?!

Interview Ok! I’m gonna leave… Fast!

Oh! And by the way! Say hi to old Montreal Impact coach @JNH ! Say best wishes from Labsy! All the best!

Back on the ritual – Kur Tu teci? Kur Tu teci, gailīti mans? Kur Tu teci? Kur Tu teci, gailīti mans? No rītiņa agrumā…

[Image: tumblr_n7k5jsV7iE1t0l1jvo1_500.gif]

Interview ... So my journey to Latvia ended. As I started to run out from retirement home all grew dark around me even though it was middle of day. I heard screams and roars of recognized beast. Roars came from doors of exit so I jumped out of window. Outside I wanted to flee back to car but there was a real dragon and white haired male with two swords. Dragons used his fire breath to the direction of my car and it exploded. I ran through woods and reached place called Spuņģēni. I reached their local mail office and sent this package with interview within it. Send it to local media and give message to my wife that I lo… ARRRRRGGHHHHHHHHH

[Image: 63UL.gif]

[Image: Gwent_cardart_neutral_geralt_axii.jpg]

You'll love this media!

Great media, actually knowing that Barkov was 0rL helps me a lot.

Also from myself being knee deep in old history I found it funny that Verminski was nommed for the Most Improved player twice. It was him and 2 other people in the history to be nommed twice

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Dragonite

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Dragonite

That dragons Lr was GOAT tier, love you labsy <3

[Image: 6Xj1IWG.png]

Player Page || Update Thread || Signatures

[Image: PoQh1Wx.png] [Image: rmu9FS0.png][Image: VxdFjLy.png][Image: QKcW3J4.png] [Image: RoypPRF.png]

WOW Labsy! I absolutely love this look back at Dragons history through your eyes. This is what it's all about, a player connecting with a team and making many great friends and memories along the way. It's great to see how much stuck with you over the years. Really enjoyed reading this, hilarious also!

I remember coming into that locker room in S18 as a new player and getting to know you and the other Latvians, as well as the old school team, definitely one of my favorite experiences in the league and will never forget it. <3

You're awesome. 

Dragonite

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 06:33 PM by O4L.)

Love ya, Labsy

One of my all-time favourite teammates

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Dragonite

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 02:24 AM by Chris-McZehrl.)

Labsy the SHL can be happy with having you back. You are one of the best Members I ever shared a LR with. Love ya <3

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Awesome article, Labsy!!!

Great write-ups about our history and very kind words about me! It was a joy winning those cups together!

[Image: 9d3oxij.png]// [Image: 8xyKeyf.png] [Image: SHLEmoteDragons.png]
[Image: RNCgTPl.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]
[Image: RIXCbNI.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]

@kikish18

Labsy, thank you for the kind words but more for the look back at some of the great teammates and friends we had on the team. It's nice to pop on and see these things, it was a fun time I had here and you were a big part of it.

Dragonite

[Image: NyUD4Ch.jpg]
[Image: 95lCCDx.png]

[Image: iXI1ET6.png]