Create Account

Players Tribune: Going Home

2x Draft Media

The Players Tribune
'Going Home'
By Eric Vanderberg

The last time I wrote an article for the Tribune, it saw me get eviscerated by the Jets faithful. Though, who could blame them. I had freshly arrived from Buffalo, I didn't know it but I was going to be awarded the Bojo Biscuit at the end of that season. I was on a line with one of the premier young defenders in the league in Adam Barron and Winnipeg nearly tasted the playoffs that season. Then came those faithful words.

I will not re-sign with Winnipeg.

While the fans bayed for my blood, management took me aside and the issues we had were quickly worked out. I won't tell you that it was all sunshine and lollipops. But I felt a lot better after getting what I wanted to say off my chest and with it being public, it forced management to act. So much so that even after my public declaration and up until the trade this evening, I had a strong offer on the table to rejoin the Jets for 3 seasons. I won't sit here and be 'that guy' and say I took GM Muerto's offer and threw it out, we had a lengthy discussion on my future should I sign and my place in the lineup. He understood that I wanted to go to free agency to find my worth and I understood the deal wasn't permanent and they would need an answer sooner rather than later.

This last season was hell. I mean really hell. Up on stage being handed the Bojo Biscuit is a feeling that I will never forget. I will also never forget blocking 11 shots in one game. Team record. En route to blocking 111 shots last season with Jets fans cheering every single one. Their measure of a pound of flesh I guess. I felt like a tenderized steak. Like one of those steaks you see Gordon Ramsey go to town with with a giant tenderizer hammer. Still, my teammates and the Jets organization had my back. We powered through, played every game like it was our last and still we fell just short.

Tough pill to swallow.

It wasn't until the week of the Finals when the GM called and asked if I was willing to listen to an offer from the Baltimore Platoon. They were looking to acquire my rights to sign me once FA opened.

First let me tell you why it was such a big deal.

I am the only Delaware born player in the entirety of the SHL.

Think about that. Our league, all of the men and women who play in our league, from nearly every nation on earth and yet I am the only one who has ever represented the First State.

Standing between Delaware are two major cities. Philadelphia and Baltimore. Both 45 minutes away on I-95. Both so close to family, to friends, to everything familiar and only one of them just got an SHL franchise and the GM of the Platoon knew which buttons to push and what to massage. He offered a fair contract, just about even with what the Jets offered. He sold me on the team being ready to compete. But it was the words he spoke next which had me ready to go.

"Come home and play for Baltimore"

The only home I had ever had was Buffalo. Winnipeg was a great place to live and I knew if I signed in Baltimore, I would be happy. But it wouldn't be home. My heart wanted Buffalo and my brain wanted Baltimore. Even the GM of Baltimore knew, saying that it would be a longshot for Buffalo to come calling. He was right after all. The team was stacked, hell, it was stacked when it traded me. But I knew one of their star defenders was about to retire, I had hoped it was some kind of sign.

With FA fast approaching and with two teams looking for an answer, I told them both I was prepared to go to FA just to see what interest there was. For any J player out there, seriously, consider doing so. You never wanna wonder "what if". Any GM worth their salt will respect that, they won't hate you. They understand.

I was out to dinner with some former teammates from the J when I got the call from the Jets that they had traded my rights to Buffalo. The GM was blunt, he appreciated my time in Winnipeg and they were prepared to go in a different direction. Winnipeg Management, if you're reading this, I do appreciate the time I spent with you. It was fun, it was thrilling, it was...amazing. I appreciate you respecting my desire to wait and see and I appreciate that you made me a fair offer despite the earlier tensions. I appreciate you looking out for my best interests by working out a deal to Buffalo and allowed me to speak to Baltimore.

My call with Buffalo last 3 minutes, they asked me one simple question.

"You ready to go?"

That was it.

I think my answer was F**k yes, lets do it.

I signed my new contract electronically while finishing a steak dinner with Cass Darrow and Jean Pierre-Gay.

My parents used to tell me to follow my heart and if I did, that it would lead me home.

So I am coming home to Buffalo. Get ready boys, because its going to be a wild ride.

[Image: c15a64abaaac9b6611584a953cc4592e.png]
[Image: cut.jpg]

Great article. And a good choice, now I don't have to make a new sig for you Tongue

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

Fuck yeah Vandy Stampede

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

IIIIIIIIIIII WANT VANDY!

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

<3

RETIRED

What a delicious fucking steak it was!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Take care Vandy, will always be a Jets !

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]