Create Account

SHL and the Coronavirus

SHL and the Coronavirus

The Coronavirus also is known as COVID-19 has been causing the world a lot of trouble with people dying, social distancing measures, countries shutting down, cities shutting down and the world economy stopped. In North America, the United States has turned into the epicenter for the virus with thousands of deaths and infections across the country. Canada has had a milder infection rate with a couple of provinces have high numbers but overall not as bad in the United States. The sports world has also been stirring from this coronavirus with leagues such as the NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL to stop and change their processes. Sports leagues across the world have been canceling their seasons outright or planning to re-open their leagues once it is safe to do so. Many of these sports leagues have been in contact with public health authorities and governments. The SHL Is located in both the United States and Canada with teams in both countries and many in states that have been hit badly by the virus. Now, what has the SHL done? Nothing. The SHL’s response has been to do absolutely nothing. The SHL has allowed its operations to continue on as if nothing is happening.  The leaders or the SHL are taking the Donald Trump approach which is to believe the virus is overblown and a hoax. The SHL playoffs just finished with teams still playing and fans in the stands. The SHL has put public health at risk by continuing to play their games in both the SHL and its junior affiliate SMJHL. It is a shame to see a prominent sports league just refuse to listen to government orders. We interviewed some players who wanted to remain anonymous to see their thoughts ;

[Image: photo-1583324113626-70df0f4deaab?width=500&height=215]

“Honestly, I have been scared through this whole thing. I mean no one has been quarantining and we still have some crazy fans in the stands. Why were we not shut down or at least having social distancing measures in the arenas? There has been no communication from the league or management. No one wants to really speak out in fear of losing their roster spot or contract.”

“I have been trying to social distance, but it seems like not everyone cares. Some players are aware, and it appears some people think it is a hoax because the league has pretty much said that with their response. I do not think having the SHL continue is worth risking our lives for. WE have been lucky to have no infections thus far, but it does not mean it does not exist. Someone in our league may even have it and are not showing symptoms. It is scary.”

It seems as though some players appear scared of the virus and the league's position does not support them thus far. The league has brushed aside this pandemic in order to finish their season. With their season finished, the league is continuing to still go on as planned with their offseason activities like the SHL and SMJHL Drafts, IIHF Tournament, and the World Juniors Tournament. It seems like the SHL does not care about its players or fans and will do anything to continue on as normal. Only time will tell how this strategy works, but as of now, the SHL has been unscathed. Until the first infection of an SHL player, the SHL will likely not put a serious effort to protect their league from the virus. With some States and Canadian provinces beginning to slowly open up, it seems like the pandemic is starting to wind down. Maybe the SHL will get hit by the second wave? It remains to be seen, but for now, it is business as usual for the SHL.

Code:
620 Words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

to be fair I think we are all already risking our lives by playing over seven full hockey seasons per calendar year.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

05-11-2020, 02:07 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: to be fair I think we are all already risking our lives by playing over seven full hockey seasons per calendar year.
Yeah, I was always curious over how you lot managed it. I mean... I kinda don't mind it for obvious reasons.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR