Create Account

Trading for the 8th pick

Happy day after the draft to all the draftees who were able to experience an SHL team calling out their name yesterday. The team that they will be calling home to when they first get the call up.

It seems like ages ago when my player, Lyle Odelein III got selected on the S48 draft. I truly had no idea where I was going to. I had talked to a handful of teams, and kind of had a feeling that 2 teams were seriously interested, I had a few connections to these teams through some of my SMJHL team mates. Of these two 'interested' teams, one was picking somewhat early in the first round and one that picked later in the first. From what I had gathered, my player was rumoured to be going mid round, between 8th and 10th was the general consensus. So when the team that picked early didn't select Lyle, I was very unsure where I'd be going.  The next few players were drafted as I tried to figure out where I might up, were the mock drafts right, would I be getting picked in the next couple of spots? Or would I stay on the board until the other 'interested' team had their first pick of the draft? Well, the answer wasn't quite that simple. Both things happened.

As I was continually hitting refresh on the draft pages, I was momentarily stunned, after the 7th overall pick was made, the next post didn't announce that the San Francisco Pride (the owners of the 8th spot) had made a selection, the post stated that a trade had been made, that the New Orleans Specters had traded their 12th overall pick along with their 2nd round pick in S50, for San Fran's 8th overall in this draft and 4th rounder in S50.

My heart stopped, New Orleans was the team I had hoped would pick me, but I was worried I might be gone by the time they selected. Were they worrying about the same thing? It seemed like an eternity from when the trade was announced until TDZ made the New Orleans selection post (I just checked, it was 4 minutes, I guess I can be a bit dramatic), the post read:

"With the 8th pick in the S48 SHL draft the New Orleans Specters are happy to select Lyle Odelein III!!

Welcome @Huck24!"

It was done. I was drafted by the New Orleans Specters. A team that I had many connections to, a team that I knew would be a great fit for me and my player. I couldn't have been happier.

Not only had the Specters selected my player, they had pulled off a trade to move up 4 spots to be able to get Lyle. I am still grateful for this, they took a big chance on Lyle, I was determined, and still am to make sure that their gamble paid off.

My player, Lyle Odelein III, was selected 8th overall in the S48 draft, with a pick New Orleans got via trade.  With this past drafts 8th pick belonging to Chicago from a trade with San Fran, I was interested to see if there were any other 8th overall selections that had been traded prior or at the draft. So I started going back through previous drafts to find out, here's what I found:

S54
The Chicago Syndicate owned this seasons 8th pick and with it they selected Rotticus Scott. Scott is a part of the SMJHL's Kelowna Knights, Four Star cup finalists in S53. Scott is a left winger who had 1 goal and 7 assists in his rookie campaign, he also had 20 blocked shots and 16 hits. He came alive in the playoffs, just about matching his regular season totals, scoring 2 goals with 4 assists.

S50
Los Angeles Panthers received the 8th pick from West Kendall Platoon.  With this pick, they selected  Vorian Atreides, a center who this past season in the SHL, scored 11 goals and 12 assists. He posted a +11 and registered 30 takeaways.

S42
The Manhattan Rage traded for the 8th overall spot with the Calgary Dragons. With that pick the Rage selected Tokek Takshak. Takshak currently plays for the San Francisco Pride, the defender had 6 points this past season, along with 55 hits and 31 blocked shots.

S41
The Seattle Riot (Tampa Bay Barracudas) traded with the Edmonton Blizzard for the 8th pick in this seasons draft. The player selected was Daniel Danill. I'd like to say more about Danill, but I can't seem to find any info on him, except the fact that he was selected 8th overall in S41.

S40
This isn't a copy and paste issue, this season the Riot once again had the 8th pick in a trade with Edmonton. This time the player selected was Ensio  Kalju. Kalju has been a very solid defender in the league for several seasons, currently playing for the New England Wolfpack. In S53 Ensio scored 6 goals and added 18 assists.

S39
Once again, the Seattle Riot were involved with the 8th pick, this time trading it to the Toronto North Stars. The pick was Richard Physt, the brusing defenseman played in the SHL up until S50, finishing that season with 4 goals and 29 assists, all while laying out 115 hits playing for the New Orleans Specters.

There are a lot more of these then I would have guessed, so from here on I'm just going to list the teams and player...

S37
Toronto North Stars (via Edmonton Blizzard, via Buffalo Stampede) - Blåbär Bananerström

S31
Winnipeg Jets (via Portland Admirals, via Texas Renegades) - Jason Visser

S30
Portland Admirals (via Texas Renegades) - Kelly Rivet

S29
Los Angeles Panthers (via Seattle Riot, via Toronto North Stars) - Maximus Sarone

S27
Manhattan Rage (via Texas Renegades) - Selena Bauer

S26
Hamilton Steelhawks (via Manhattan Rage) - Mikelis Grundmanis

S25
Texas Renegades (via Manhattan Rage) - Travis Kudleychuk

S24
New England Wolfpack (via Toronto North Stars, via Los Angeles Panthers) - Buster "Buzz" Killington

S22
Los Angeles Panthers (via Edmonton Blizzard) - Jigsaw McGraw

S19
New England Wolfpack (via Hamilton Steelhawks) - LW Marek Vyskoc

S18
Manhattan Rage (via Calgary Dragons) - D Roy Razin

S17
Toronto North Stars (via New England Wolfpack) - D Maleek Junior

S13
Calgary Dragons (via Texas Renegades from Hamilton Steelhawks) - RW Ryan Haan

S12
Manhattan Rage (via Texas Renegades from Winnipeg Jets) - C DuJuan Cook

S11
Hartford Hydras (via West Kendall Platoon) - Waldo Cezar, Jr.

S10
Los Angeles Panthers (via Edmonton Comets from Winnipeg Jets) - D Chris Partlow

S9
Manhattan Rage (via Las Vegas Kings from Minnesota Chiefs) - G Josef Heiss

S8
West Kendall Platoon (via Edmonton Comets from Toronto North Stars) - D Jaroslav Sekeras

S4
Toronto (Via Calgary Dragons, Via Steelhawks, Via Comets) - Kiernan Cassidy

S3
Ice Wolves (via Stars,Via Rage, Via Platoon) - Troy Young

This is wild. I had no idea that when I started this piece that there would have been 27 times that the 8th overall section would have traded hands. I also did not know that we had teams named the Ice Wolves, Comets, Hydras or Admirals. This was a nice little trip down the SHL history books. I was shocked to see how many draft picks had been traded over the years, especially at the 8th spot!

To close off, I just wanted to congratulate all if the S54 draftees again, looking forward to seeing you all in the SHL!

2x draft media - word count 1254

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Specters

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]