Create Account

S53 SHL Player Poll
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 05:31 PM by luke.)

Hello SHL! I am back about a week and a half later, and 80 responses(about 75 are legitimate) later, and I am back to present the player poll. First I will show you what I put down in the poll, as I see its only fair to give you guys what I voted for.
Code:
Best SHL player:
Ola Wagstrom

Favorite SHL User:
JayWhy

Most Dedicated:
SDCore (I could also go with Kalakar for simming a fuckton, DrunkenTeddy, and many others who keep the site the way it is)

Most like to drink a beer with
Off

Do you pay attention to SHL Adv Stats
Yes

Change 1 SHL Rule:
Rework Salary

SHL Team Best Managed:
Calgary

Best Chirper
N/A

SHL user is the funniest
SlashACM

Prodces the best SHL Media
Smallinowski7

Best SHL podcasts:
Simmin Chiclets

Best Graphics:
Karey, also Geck

Grade 1-10 on how the first season with FHM went

Favorite thing about the switch:
Live sims

Worst thing:
Index

Other Sim leagues:
None

Best Logo:
Manhattan(Vancouver Nightmare if we do of all time)

City to be represented in SHL?
Montreal

Biggest Issue:
we jump at eachothers throats way to quickly.

Anyway to what the SHL Userbase voted for

So for this player poll there was 80 responses, and from that around 75 responses that was real and not troll or just not just the same answer a bunch of times.

So the first question is:
Who is the best SHL player
[Image: 11wH1Ux.png]

So first up Ola Wagstrom cleaned up house with this one. I mean, I think Flacko should have gotten more, same with Tony Pepperoni, but Wagstrom was a really big force this season for New England, so we will see what next season holds.

Some quotes for wagstrom are:
From a Western Conference GM: “I think their performance speaks for itself. We are likely witnessing the peak of Wagstrom's career.”

From a Western Conference Player “Scores so many goals”

Other ones are
Mike Augment Izzy, Me, Gabe Johnson, Ron Mexico, Like, overall or current? Visser / Lil Manius, Alex Winters, Luca Del Vecchio , MCZ is the all time GOAT no question, Aleister Cain, Bork Lazer

For the question
Who is your favorite SHL User

Im not going to do a chart on this one, there was a lot of people who put different users so ill just post a list

Mike Izzy: 3
Bojo: 2
ImShiny: 2
DaftRaincloud: 2
hotdog: 2
cpetrella: 2
ml002: 2
Luketd: 2
Zoone16: 2
Gooney: 2
notoriousTIG: 2
FuzzSHL: 1
Mack: 1
Me: 1
Segi: 1
Cptrella: 1
Simon LeBlanc, Gabe Johnson, Jack Kanoff: 1
Kalakar: 1
Everyone on Toronto: 1
golden_apricot: 1
Gwdjohnson: 1
Zombiewolf: 1
DaftRainCloud: 1
Geekasoid: 1
Tomen: 1
Fuzz: 1
Karlssens: 1
GeckoeyGecko: 1
Hotdog: 1
Slash: 1
Blastmeaway: 1
Alaska : 1
Nictox: 1
Tylar: 1
wannabeFinn: 1
im not telling: 1
Nokazoa: 1
Katth: 1
depends: 1
Gorlab: 1
CementHands: 1
DrunkenTeddy: 1
bilbo: 1
Flem ?: 1
Weretarantula: 1
TheHockeyist: 1
Slothfacekilla: 1
Hotdog : 1
I have a lot: 1
JayWhy: 1
Everyone: 1
Wasty: 1
shiny, esso, redcape: 1
Golden Apricot: 1
Karey: 1
SlashACM: 1

For the question
Who is the most dedicatedSHL User
[Image: rvATrVE.png]

First of all I swear I only voted once :eyes: I think people like Teddy, Kalakar, JR95 and SDCore deserve way more votes than they do, but lets get into it and see what people said. (side note JR should have way more votes than what he got)

For LukeTD some people put:
“Dude is never offline”
Geck put “dude u put that question there to stroke ur ego or what”

But for other people like Teddy we have

“He does so much work on the back end with not nearly enough recognition. HM: nour”

“he has committed an immeasurable amount of time and effort to improving the site, while still being available to help out younger players, and shoot the shit with older members.”

“Puts a crap ton of work into the site and I really appreciate it”

“Teddy helped get the index ready, prepped FHM videos on how to use the sim and what the attributes meant, was a huge part in the move from STHS to FHM, I think he gets my vote here. HM to JR, Kalakar and others working behind the scenes.”

For Kalakar we have

“Doesn't he sim like every single game on the site? And now he live streams a ton of them. The transition to FHM wouldn't have been so smooth if it weren't for him.”

“live siming everygame, every day is incredible”

“DT also deserves it but Kal has absolutely hauled ass making the SMJHL sims an awesome daily event”

For SDcore we have quotes like

“It's not even close, he keeps picking up more and more jobs to go on top of running the entire league.”

“dude is the best “

Nour(2), Slothfacekilla, Bojo, hallsy, Tml aka Ryan, Naosu, JR95, Leafs4ever

For the question
Which user would you most like to drink with

[Image: RuTpYls.png]

Like the favorite user there are a lot of people on the list, so this is the top 5, there is also Nour, Slappydoodle, and Me that have 2 votes as well.

Other people who got 1 vote was

Ace,Karlssens, Captain Blitzkrieg, Tom fiddler, Gabriel Johnson, Hhh, SDCore, Segi, ztevans, gwdjohnson, UrsinZ, Tomen, Mike Izzy, Alaska, LordBirdMan, Dankoa, Infidel, KlusteR, JumpierPegasus, Jack Kanoff, Katth, formx, Rindie, Gooney, Shiny, WannabeFinn, All of Hamilton, Esso, WUMA - Dankoa - Gil, Steelhead77, Boomcheck, Project Saint, Toss up between Tig, Nour, BadWolf, and Evok., stamkosfan, Off, BarnabasCollins, Weretarantuala, Eggy

For the question
do you pay attention to SHL Advanced Stats

[Image: rTDvFyn.png]

So this is interesting for me to see

So lets see what people say about it

A player in the western conference said this: “Sometimes I do, but it's hard to put much stock in them at times. For example I saw my player's production dip 40% from last season just based on the engine change and how much team success matters for every player to do well. We seem to be past the point where you can have star players on bad teams perform really well. “

An anonymous player said “Still believe them to be team dependent and not overly helpful.”

A SHL GM Said: “I mean, I pay attention for the competitive aspect but if I wasn't running a team I really wouldn't care.”

Another anonymous player said “I put no, but it's a sometimes. I'll read the articles of some of them, but don't generally dive in to advanced stats, mostly because I don't understand them, and I'm not sure advanced stats from a simulation can be accurate.”

So there is some back and forth there, so take it as what you want. Personally I think Advanced Stats help back up how good you are goin on the ice, and a nice secondary stat to help.

For the question
If you could change one SHL rule, what would you change?

[Image: KQqSSpY.png]

So some of the comments Ive seen going through them is the PT Cap, which is now removed so they dont have to complain about that anymore.

Salary Cap, whether one person wanted to lower the salary cap, or a higher salary cap is in the picture to.

To go along with Salary cap people are suggesting to remove home town discounts, minimum contract TPE tiers.

Some of the other suggestions is to not make Tampering Punishments too strict,  get rid of double media, and outlaw test simming.

So for comments

For Salary Cap stuff we have some:

An anonymous user for Minimum Contract TPE Tiers they put: “Force teams to make hard decisions more often and encourage more FA movement”

For Removing hometown discounts one user put “Probably controversial, but removing this will increase the turnover of SHLers on different teams and will limit the amount of teams just stacking active friends on a roster.”

Personally I think the Salary Cap is a bit low, but its hard to gauge because I can 100% see a team that all takes minimum and then they can sign an FA for a lot of money. But on the other hand people I have to sign people for minimum and stuff like that because we cant offer them more or else we go over salary cap. Its a weird mixture because I want the salary cap to go up because I want to pay my own players an extra mil or 2 more because they deserve it, but I know there will be teams that will keep players at minimum to sign a big FA for like 15 mil or something. Its something to think about for sure

For the question
Which SHL team is Best Managed
[Image: XwIEUvz.png]

So its clear that Buffalo and Calgary are front runners in best managed. We always have to take it with a slight grain of salt because even though I say dont choose your own team I know people chose their own team. I personally think teams like Edmonton,  NOLA, and WKP deserve a bit more praise here.

But for some quotes

A player in the eastern conference had to say this about Buffalo: “They can be massive dicks on the forum but you can't knock how WBF & Tomen have assembled a roster that is unbelievably stacked and somehow keeps getting better. They've got really solid prospect depth too.”

A player in the western conference said: “They always manage to get high picks by giving up pretty much nothing. I don't think I've seen them do a bad trade since I've been here.”

A western conference GM said this: “They just do a really good job with asset management and that combined with their ability to create a tight knit locker room makes them very good every season.”

For a team like Calgary different people said this about them

A rival player in the western conference said this about them: “There is a reason they have been good for so long. Edmonton Blizzard is also up there. “

Other quotes include
“They don't really have down/bad seasons.”

“Esa’s been doing this longer and better than anyone”

“Always in contention for the playoffs and consistently proving they can play with the best teams”

For the question
Who is the best Chirper/Trash Talker

[Image: QjbZAz4.png]

I did a wordcloud because there was a lot of individual people and people saying none, so you can look at it. People did say WannabeeFinn a lot, not a lot of substance here tbh.

For the question
Who is the funniest SHL user

[Image: Upl9B9Q.png]

Another word cloud here because there is a lot, Bojo got a lot, same with Clean Andrej and Gecko.

So we can get into more series questions that will have som substance to it

For the question
Who produces the best media
[Image: u2d5NIN.png]

So its a great top 3 for me, Smallinowski produces some of the best media around, im there, along with the SHN/SJHN people have made some amazing articles.

(another side note is that the SHN and the SJHN combined for 56 articles this season which is mindblowing to me)

But yeah Smallinowski, here are some quotes from people

“Might have spelt it wrong but his posts recently have been excellent”

“I like their analysis of the Playoffs.”

For Luketd people said

“Pretty much any media piece put out by Luke is gonna be well thought out and a good read. “

“Sabermetrics bby” - No fucking clue what they means

For the SHN/SJHN

“Hard to say any of them individually, but as a whole they've made me start reading media again.”

“works right, quality media by all the peeps there”

Here is the list of the rest of the peeps who got 1 vote as well

Code:
Mack
Mike izzy
KenitohMenara
Geekusoid
Lunatyk
daftraincloud (dilk)
seven
Suave
Snoopdogg
Weretarantula
Tate
RabidSponge
NHamlet
nour
5ympathies
Fitted
hhh81
Ztevans

For the question
What is the best SHL podcast

[Image: 7Cflo9v.png]

So the top 2 for this is Rich&Luke’s and Joekast with BSH 3rd.

For quotes about the R&L we only have 1 quote and its

“don't get a big head about it. I like the content.”

For The Joekast we have quotes like

“Always informative, always explains pretty thoroughly, has a cool dog”

“IDK i haven't listened to many tbh.”

For the Big Slappy Hour we have

“Perfect thing to listen to while chilling with some bevs”

“May be crude occasionally but such a chill time to listen to “

So there are many flavors of podcasts out there, I personally enjoy simming chiclets whenever they come out with podcasts.

For the question
Which SHL user is the best at graphics

[Image: 34G4pJG.png]

So its pretty easy to see its Wasty’s and Karey land in terms of graphics. Both of them are great with graphics with their styles, but im glad other people put other users who make really good graphics as well.

When people quoted about Wasty they put

“I don't think it's a coincidence that most if not all the rebrands and logo refreshes coming in both leagues for the past 5+ seasons have been from Wasty. They are truly a master of their craft and the go to for when you want amazing graphics.”

“I really like Wasty's style”

“Wasty is a little heavy on the Topaz, but his custom text is the best visual thing on the site.”

For Karey people said

“Karey god have you seen the sig he made me??”

“My personal favourite style”

“The old god and the new “ (in reference to Brandon as the old god, and karey as the new)

Code:
Sev7en
Watsy
Gecko
NeonLime
Donini
Geck
Carpy48
Dankoa
JSS
han
Me
Nokazoa

For the question
Now with the 1st season of the new sim engine is over. How do you like it

AVERAGE SCORE: 7.55

Quotes

User Score: 5
“I'm very torn about FHM. There are some aspects I love and some that I hate. I can see FHM leading to some teams potentially becoming bad for long stretches of time because without a really competitive roster they will get stomped on. While you could argue that this would lead to better draft picks, those are not guarantees to turn it around. You could easily see players wanting to leave the franchise because it will take a lot longer for a team to perform well and those that are an early part of it could end up wasting a large chunk of their career simply being drafted at the wrong time to put up good numbers. I do love the breadth of options available in FHM, but I also don't think it is the peak of Hockey Sim potential. “

User Score: 6
“Wish we had more goalie stats. We lost pims & assists. :(“

User score: 7
“It's better than sths no doubt, but the whole fitness issue is just tragic. Specially in juniors. Games with 65 vs 15 shots etc. Its just ridiculous. “

User Score: 8
“Live sims are fuckin lit.”

User Score: 8
“I really like the engine itself, I just wish we had access to the boxscores without needing to go in game.”

User Score: 7
“Like the sim but work still needs to be done on the aesthetics of the information being provided. I know the team is doing their absolute best and I really can't complain about any work they've done. I still think the index is ugly though.”

User Score: 4
“Too little parity made a lot of games fairly boring as the result was too easily expected.”

[Image: HaBiE1I.jpg]

For the question
Favorite thing about the Engine Switch

[Image: RYtdY5s.png]

Its definite that people love the live sims, thats what most of the responses are, there are also more build diversity as a major point, and better tactics to go along with it.

“There's a lot more that can be done to differentiate a team and it's players with FHM. You can set individual tendencies which helps to use players more effectively. “

“Simon loved anarchy, this one is not as bad even though people like to whine about everything lol”

“I hope even the rarer builds will have a home, so it´s not just your typical playmaker,sniper and twoway type of builds that are wanted the most”

“Watching those EDM/Los Angeles Panthers overtimes has been the best thing I've seen on this site yet.”

‘you can build your player however you want and there are more player archetypes. much less restrictive than sths for sure”

“Pbps are fun af to do every day, it makes you feel more connected to your team. Playoffs have been insane and some series are really tight it's fun to watch at a slower pace. OTs are so stressful I'm glad my team didn't make it kekw”

For the question
Worst thing about the Engine Switch

[Image: M8luzzb.png]

So the major thing to take away from this is that the index is the worst thing about the enjine switch. Some quotes include

“Significant degradation to index and boxscore availability”

“Not having the boxscores in the index”

There are also complaints like
“That bad teams are extremely bad and don't have a chance against good/average teams. That shouldn't be the case.”

“Lack of detailed/easily accesible info like boxscores, game summaries”

“Not being sure what stats work and getting used to a new schedule was tricky. And it was a bit of a pain to have to download the files in order to get all the stats I wanted to find. Still love the change though. “

“Players under 1000 TPE suck, they need to be better.”

For the question
What other sim leagues are you in
[Image: OWDhEHW.jpg]

Other than the joke answers like Sumer Optional, SHVL, SVHL, and others. It is interesting to note the other answers.

It makes sense that PBE and NSFL are the highest because we have partnerships with them, VHL because there are people that play both on there, but the majority is No other sim leagues.

For the question
Best SHL Logo

[Image: eaO9gxP.png]

So Edmonton has the best logo in the league atm from this player poll, then LAP, BAP, and MAN behind them. Looking at old logos of teams makes me realize how far we come as a league in our presentation of the league.

For the question
What Nation would you like to see added to the IIHF

[Image: TOBfXcH.png]

SO a big turnout for an African Team and a France and Australian team as well. Now I dont think at the moment in the IIHF expanding to new teams would be useful, but I would love a french team myself.

Other Nations mentioned
Code:
Italy
Lithuania
Greece
The Netherlands
Holland
Canada B, USA B
Lichtenstein
mexico
New Zealand
Quebec
Hungary
Slovakia
Ireland
Brazil
New Zealand
Somalia
Trinidad & Tobago
Netherlands
China
France, Italy, Australia
Iceland

Madagascar
Indonesia

For the question
What Team would you like to see added to the SHL

[Image: 7fnykIQ.png]

THE LEAGUE WANTS MONTREAL.

WIth the majority of the votes, Montreal is a team that we want back to the SHL. Personally, it feels weird with so little canadian teams, and I would like another SHL Team up in Canada, so montreal seems like a good fit for it. I would love Philly too, for personal reasons.

Some quotes from players

“Because Carolina Crackheads is still one of the dumbest things to happen. I didnt even like the Montreal team but they were done dirty.”

“Vive L'Impact “

“Montreal deserves to be in the league somewhere, now that we've grown I feel like some of the long standing junior cities deserve big league teams. Falcons and Whalers can keep their branding but the other 3 should probably just have the cities move with new branding. (sorry Scarebros.)”

“Huge sports city that had an SMJHL team taken away from it. I think Montreal deserves a team in the SHL again”

And Finally….

For the last question
Whats the biggest issue in the league

[Image: iutXKAh.png]

So the general feeling I got is 2 major things people talked about.

Is the old players coming back and not contributing to the league, and shittingo n it
Toxic Personalitites coming into the league.

Im not going to delve into it but look at some actual issues that hold merit

“Lack of automation for training/updating”

“Lack of an index”

“Probably the update scale being too weighted for high tpe players”

“Underdevelop site UI, many sites have better site experiences”

“Head Office Reliance on Precedent”
To further develop on it they said
“It seems like HO sometimes chooses which precedents to play by, and as a newer member, it's difficult to discern that line. I feel like there are some things that could have more awareness spread instead of instant penalties. I also think if there is a more concerted effort to cite precedents, then maybe they'll be better utilized.”

“Cliques forming and a lack of player movement between teams”

“Insufficient and ineffective HO-player communication”

There are some of the ones I highlighted and thought are important to talk about, or atleast discuss and show to people.

If you want to look at everything he is the doc link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

I deleted all of the names so players identities can be kept to themselves.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Bruh who TF actually voted me for anything lmao

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

05-18-2020, 04:26 PMSlashACM Wrote: Bruh who TF actually voted me for anything lmao
id put my money on @SlashACM being the one who voted for you

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

[Image: Screenshot_20200518-162857_Chrome.jpg]

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

05-18-2020, 04:29 PMRedCapeDiver Wrote:
05-18-2020, 04:26 PMSlashACM Wrote: Bruh who TF actually voted me for anything lmao
id put my money on @SlashACM being the one who voted for you

I didn't do the player poll

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

i got votes for being funny but no votes for graphics

wack

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

05-18-2020, 04:31 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: [Image: Screenshot_20200518-162857_Chrome.jpg]
Was it you who submitted that? Coward

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

WannabeFinn narrowly beats out Wannabefinn for best chirper

Exciting photo finish

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Wow! I actually made a couple lists?

<3

I need to be more active smh. I didn't get enough

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

bojo idk for best trash talker

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

05-18-2020, 04:40 PMGeckoeyGecko Wrote: i got votes for being funny but no votes for graphics

wack

ya because you knocked turd and I out in the first round, butt munch

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Seeing as how I and @Mike Izzy are the only people to get 3 favorite player votes we should be put in charge of everything on the site.

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/glswenson.gif[/img]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/agentchadjohnson.gif[/img]

05-18-2020, 04:47 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
05-18-2020, 04:31 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: [Image: Screenshot_20200518-162857_Chrome.jpg]
Was it you who submitted that? Coward
nope

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

PAN-AFRICAN TEAM YESSS @ProjectSaint

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]