Create Account

Slate and the Draft (2x Draft Media Bonus)

Slate and the Draft

The S54 SMJHL Draft was Sunday evening and was full of excitement and surprises. For Liam Slate, there was some uncertainty about where he would be going, but that did not faze him. Instead, it fueled his excitement for the future and the upcoming season. With the draft starting at 3:00 in the afternoon, and his former team the Berserkers on the clock at first overall, Slate had some thoughts running through his head.

“I knew once the Berserkers won the lottery a week back, there was maybe a chance I could go first overall. I felt I had a great experience and fit in pretty well with management and the locker room. It was not a for sure thing, and I did not just expect them to pick me. I kind of heard rumors of them trading the pick, having certain players in mind, and things like that. I tried not to think about it too much. I just wanted to enjoy myself with my family on draft day. I knew I was likely going to be in the first round, but I think there was a chance I could have gone in the second round, but up my name was called, I did not really know.”

Around 2:59pm, Slate’s phone rang. It was the Berserkers General Manager on the line. Slate thought maybe they were calling to wish him good luck in the draft.

“My phone rang and I recognized the number. I kind of thought maybe it was the draft call, but I figured they were calling to wish my luck wherever I was going to land. I heard a rumor they were picking a defenseman first overall which I was completely fine with. I was thinking it was pretty cool they were calling me to wish me good luck. The draft did not start yet, so I figured it could not have been the you have been drafted call.”

When Slate picked up the phone, it was indeed the draft call. The Berserkers were picking Slate first overall. Liam Slate was the first overall pick in the S54 SMJHL Draft, something Slate did not think or dream was going to happen when he declared for the SMJHL Draft.

“I was in shock, to be honest. I was not expecting to be the first overall pick in what has been called a pretty stacked draft class. It felt surreal. I was so excited mainly because I know the team extremely well and the guys in that locker room are great. My parents were so excited too. It just shows that all the sacrifices we made as a family were worth it. It is honestly hard to describe the feeling of being drafted, never mind the feeling of going number one. I do kind of feel a bit of pressure but that pressure will fuel and drive me to be great.”

With that phone call, Slate became a member of the Newfoundland Berserkers, a team that is ready to compete this season after a surprising surge last season. The Berserkers have a young talented core that was added to further with the selection of Slate. Many analysts predict the Slate will be the eventual replacement for veteran Slatt Potts who is expected to be called up after this upcoming season. The situation in Newfoundland seems like a perfect fit for a young player like Slate.

“I feel like the situation here in Newfoundland is perfect for me. We have a team that is ready to win now, with a core group that will be around for next season and the season after that as well. I get to be on a deep team that will allow me to grow and develop while winning. Going into this I wanted to be on a competitive team while contributing. I know that I may not contribute right away though. I was kind of told my management that I will likely be more of a depth piece this upcoming season. I will likely be playing limited minutes probably mostly the fourth line. I knew going into this I would have to earn my minutes and move up the lineup wherever I went because teams in this league are deep. I know the Berserkers are a deep team and I am okay sacrificing some of my own personal goals for the team. This team is going to win a lot of games next season which gets me pumped to start the season. I hope I am able to contribute a little bit and maybe by the playoffs have earned more minutes and maybe moved up in the lineup. I am just going to play my game, keep training and I know it will eventually pay for me”

The Berserkers did not pick again till pick 45 which they picked up their back-up goaltender Júnior Guarda. Guarda is a goalie born in Mexico. The agency Guarda hails from is familiar with Slate’s agency so there is some familiarity between the two Berserker draft picks.  Guarda will likely play some games this season but has a challenge getting more games playing behind the talented Cale Admunsen who was recently drafted into the SHL and traded to Calgary immediately. But, the Berserkers went into the draft needed a backup goaltender, and Guarda fits that bill.

The rest of the draft, the Berserker’s traded picks, and or passed on picks. The Berserkers roster is full with the exception of a fourth-line center. The Berserkers may eventually look into the unrestricted free agent market for that but for now, their roster is complete and ready to win a Four Stars Cup. They have four lines deep of players putting in work training and committed to getting better as a group. The Four Stars Cup is likely the goal the Berserkers which Slate hopes becomes reality. If they do no manage to win this season, the Berserkers have a few seasons of a cup window to win with their current core group of players.

“Honestly, I hope we win the cup, I honestly believe this team can and will do it. This team is strong and full of talent. I honestly believe we will be one of the best teams in the league, if not the best. We will give the former champions a run for their money and beat them. I am so excited about this upcoming season and my future with the Berserkers”.

It will be interesting to follow how Liam Slate does with the Berserkers this season as a first overall pick getting very limited minutes. But for now, Slate will just continue getting better and his time will come, and when it does it will likely be sooner rather than later.

Code:
1125 Words - 2x Draft Media Bonus

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Congrats on first overall and I hope you have a lot of fun with Slate!

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM by leafsftw1967.)

I could not imagine anyone else being taken first overall for this draft. You really deserved it Ty and can't wait to see Liam Slate tear up the league! Berserkers Berserkers

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars