Create Account

S53 Award Nominations Day 4 - Stevens & McKeil
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

S53 Awards Nominations: Day 4

Last off-season some of the fellas in the awards committee got together to pump out a few articles highlighting each award and the list of nominees it hopes of generating some hype and discussion ahead of the ceremony. It went over well so we're back at it again in S53! Much like last time we'll highlight the awards over the course of the next few days in the following order...

Day 1 - Bojo Trophy and Jesster Trophy
Day 2 - Dar Trophy and Richan Trophy
Day 3 - McBride Trophy and Uppercut Trophy
Day 4 - Stevens Trophy and McKeil Trophy
Day 5 - Mexico Trophy, Razov Trophy and Littleton Trophy

Alright so let’s get to today’s, penultimate batch!

Scott Stevens Award (Best Defenseman)

The Scott Stevens Award is handed out to the leagues best defensemen, the most prestigious Award a blueliner can win especially since it has been proven time and time again how difficult it is for Defensemen to stand out in the MVP voting. Who knows, maybe this could change this season but before you want to challenge for the title of the leagues overall best player, you need to beat out your positional peers first. And the three people who will get a chance to do so this season are…

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fboltsbythebay.com%2Fwp-con...0x560.jpeg]

Brennan Kennedy Jr. from the Calgary Dragons Dragons @bk1689

Our first nominee is Brennan Kennedy from the Calgary Dragons, who comes in second in defensive scoring with an impressive 47 points, 15 of them goals. His +/- of +33 is also particularly impressive because it almost doubles that of the best Forward on his team, showcasing just how important Kennedy (and his partner Otis B. Driftwood) were for the Dragons this season. Kennedy also contributed a good Giveaway-Takeaway ratio and one of the best Defensive Game Ratings in the league.

Poopity Scoop from the Buffalo Stampede Stampede @Baelor Swift

The highest scoring Defenseman is always a frontrunner for this Award and this year, this title goes to Poopity Scoop who racked up an impressive 57 points and only barely missed out on the Top-5. But Scoop didn’t just do that, he also amassed 134 Hits, a +44 rating (2nd league wide) and strong numbers in some other defensive categories such as Takeaways and Defensive Game Rating.

Karlstraße Scholz from the Edmonton Blizzard Blizzard @karlssens

Okay maybe we should call this Award the Circlejerk Award this time around, since this is the second person nominated for it who is also on the Awards Committee? I’m clearly joking of course because just as with Scoop, there is a lot of merit behind Scholz’ nomination and he let his play on the ice do the talking this season. His 41 points put him 4th amongst Defensemen and leads his team in +/- while also contributing a decent amount of Hits and very good Takeaway-Giveaway ratio.

Honorable Mentions: Gabriel Johnson, Barrett McCarthy

Joe McKeil Award (Best Coach)

After talking about the nominees for the Lance Uppercut Trophy for Best General Manager yesterday, we now turn towards its sister Award! The Joe McKeil Award is handed out to the league’s best coach, which is a position that can be quite hard to actually pin down nowadays, since many teams like to bring a multitude of people into their staff these days to help out with tasks as various as line suggestions, test simming or build advice. This Award goes to the people who the Committee deemed did the best with what they had at their disposal this season, and I’m sure whoever GM gets to accept this Award will be happy to do so on behalf of the people who did all the work internally! Our nominees are…

[Image: 0af6be0d-7de7-4f61-ae06-4ff95a70e8b6-pjimage_1.jpg]

Hamilton Steelhawks Steelhawks @"ThatDamnMcJesus" & @Gwdjohnson

It’s probably fitting to start off our list of nominees with the Challenge Cup Champions, even if that part of the season technically doesn’t even factor into this Award, as it is purely Regular Season based. Alas, the Steelhawks also did really well there, finishing second in the league with 40 wins and single-digit losses and leading everyone in goals scored as well. Hamilton also once again forced the league to amend their rules by finding another build-strategy that seems to work particularly well, building a very defensively and athletically strong squad that ironically ended up outscoring everyone.

Los Angeles Panthers Panthers @Wasty & @Mook

Our second nominated team is the one who probably had the weakest roster our of the three squads eligible for the Award this season, yet they still managed to win their conference, win 35 games and finish 3rd in the regular season standings. The LA Panthers also improved their record dramatically compared to last season and passed perennial contenders such as Edmonton and New Orleans, so if your criteria is “who did the most with the least” then Los Angeles is your team.

New England Wolfpack Wolfpack @Ace & @hotdog

The last nominee in this category, the New England Wolfpack, is a bit of an interesting amalgamation of the two previous teams. Just like Hamilton, they dominated the regular season, even more so than the Steelhawks in fact, winning the Presidents Trophy with 42 wins and 85 points and sporting the best Defense in the league by a good margin. And just like the Panthers, they improved dramatically compared to last year, jumping up by 30 points from a team that missed the playoffs to one that went into the post-season as the top-seed. They did all that with a very stacked roster though, so it will be interesting to see how much of a factor that will be for the voters and if the Wolfpack might get more love in the GM category instead based on their assembly of such a quality squad.

Honorable Mentions: Edmonton Blizzard, Buffalo Stampede

This concludes todays portion of the Award Nominations, I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for tuning in! Congratulations to all our nominees and check back tomorrow for the final edition of our nomination articles on what we like to call MVP-Day!

Words: 1000
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 10:09 AM by luke.)

I would but Garbiel Johnson over Scholz imo, but I cant complain about Scholz as a nom, both very good defenseman. I think Scholz was a way better on 5v5, but Gabe was a force on the PP.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 10:41 AM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

I'd probably be biased if i said LA though Mook did a great job coaching.

Can't speak much against Hamiltons dedication in test-simming tho, probably spent the same as most other teams combined and it shows. So would be well-earned.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

05-23-2020, 10:40 AMスウェグキング Wrote: I'd probably be biased if i said LA though Mook did a great job coaching.

Can't speak much against Hamiltons dedication in test-simming tho, probably spent the same as most other teams combined and it shows. So would be well-earned.

we spent less time test simming total than some teams spent in the playoffs...
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM by hotdog.)

05-23-2020, 10:01 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: New England Wolfpack Wolfpack @Ace & @hotdog

The last nominee in this category, the New England Wolfpack, is a bit of an interesting amalgamation of the two previous teams. Just like Hamilton, they dominated the regular season, even more so than the Steelhawks in fact, winning the Presidents Trophy with 42 wins and 85 points and sporting the best Defense in the league by a good margin. And just like the Panthers, they improved dramatically compared to last year, jumping up by 30 points from a team that missed the playoffs to one that went into the post-season as the top-seed. They did all that with a very stacked roster though, so it will be interesting to see how much of a factor that will be for the voters and if the Wolfpack might get more love in the GM category instead based on their assembly of such a quality squad.

Honored Smile I'd like to shout out @goldenglutes and @JaytheGreat for their help here as well; their input was valuable throughout the season and especially with getting things rolling at the beginning!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Gabe in shambles

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

05-23-2020, 10:54 AMgolden_apricot Wrote:
05-23-2020, 10:40 AMスウェグキング Wrote: I'd probably be biased if i said LA though Mook did a great job coaching.

we spent less time test simming total than some teams spent in the playoffs...

Oh really? Then i guess you don't deserve it as much as i thought Sad

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

05-23-2020, 11:06 AMスウェグキング Wrote:
05-23-2020, 10:54 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: we spent less time test simming total than some teams spent in the playoffs...

Oh really? Then i guess you don't deserve it as much as i thought  Sad

nah our coaches suck

05-23-2020, 11:27 AMgolden_apricot Wrote:
05-23-2020, 11:06 AMスウェグキング Wrote: Oh really? Then i guess you don't deserve it as much as i thought  Sad

nah our coaches suck

Michaud almost carried Gabe to a Stevens nom tho, gotta give yourself some credit

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

05-23-2020, 11:30 AMjfisherr Wrote:
05-23-2020, 11:27 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: nah our coaches suck

Michaud almost carried Gabe to a Stevens nom tho, gotta give yourself some credit

shhhhhhh dont let that out in the public, it hurts his feelings

05-23-2020, 11:36 AMgolden_apricot Wrote:
05-23-2020, 11:30 AMjfisherr Wrote: Michaud almost carried Gabe to a Stevens nom tho, gotta give yourself some credit

shhhhhhh dont let that out in the public, it hurts his feelings

Only people have feelings and Gabe isn't people

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

This has to be Scoop and it's not even close.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

@"TommySalami" Always the bridesmaid.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

05-23-2020, 12:46 PMKeygan Wrote: @"TommySalami" Always the bridesmaid.

There's always next year buddy (we also won 2 seasons ago). Congrats on the nom @karlssens!

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

Disappointed to not get nommed but it would've been a travesty if I was lol, Scholz was definitely a better dman who I marginally outscored. Imo being a force on the powerplay lessens your case instead of strengthening it because 5v5 production is more important, and 5v5 I am terrible and need an actually competent defender in Michaud to stop me from being too big a liability.

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]