Create Account

S54 PT #1 - A New Focus

Seems like it has been forever since I have played a game. Of course that gave me plenty of time to focus on myself and reflect on how I played last season. With a lot of guidance from my coach, I worked hard to learn a few skills that would benefit the team and myself. A lot can be said about having the right attitude when working out. You have to have the determination to stay on task and soak in as much information as you can. It's not just about learning a new skill, it's about how it effects team play and if it is addressing you shortcomings from previous seasons. I feel confident, with help from the team, that I have improved as much as I could during this time off. Being a well rounded player was the focus and I feel that I will be a much better team player this next season. My defensive play should be better and I hope to be in the right place at the right time to shoot accurately and score.

User's perspective: With a season on FHM in the books and a free redistribution gifted by HO for the offseason, what did you decide to change about your player build? Did you drastically change your build from last season? If so, why? Are you going to be trying to fit into a new role this season? What did you learn from last season's pilot run?

During the first season of FHM, my player, Zlatan Ibrahimovic jr., has not performed well at all. I did not put any focus on the offensive attributes and did not put emphasis on stamina since i played on the third pairing. It was only near the end of the season, I found out that stamina plays a crucial role on the performance of the player. My player finished with an abysmal 13 points and game rating of 59. I believe this low rating was due to my stamina. Thus, i have raised my stamina to 15 to start the season. I also improved checking and stick-checking in the defense category. For this i took the roster of Hamilton Steelhawks,winners of s53 and noticed the trend identified by my teammate Adam Barron. The biggest change i did was increasing my offensive game. I improved get open to 16 and also improved other areas like offensive awareness and puckhandling. I believe these changes should result in a better player performance for Ibra jr.,. I will also be playing 2nd pairing this time around, which should help immensely. For s54, I am looking towards a more offensive defender as i believe this should also yield a better outcome.

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

From a user’s perespective, having the free redistribution was nice and gave myself an opportunity to massive change my player to a role that I had not invisioned before now. When I first created my player, it was definitely with a playmaking role in mind. With the free distribution, I thought about changing my role-focus around and maybe becoming more of a screener, similar to the changes Marner eventually made for us. But in the end, I didn’t choose to go through with this massive change, and stuck with the playmaking route. The main fun I get is playing for my teammates and dishing the ball off wherever possible; by staying as playmaker, I could do so easily. In the end, I used my redistribution to edit 1 sole thing about my player - that was taking the hitting stat down by 1. I found I was racking up somewhat high PIMs last year, even without being a particularly aggressive player. Hopefully putting more focus on my technical attributes will balance these out over time.

[Image: 1PU6YuX.png]
         [Image: JiycRrd.png]

Well, I had a plan with this new season coming. I knew I could bump from the 350 TPE cap to the 425 one, so that was a huge exciting moment for me. It’s my chance to really make my mark on the SMJHL this season. It’s been made pretty clear that the attribute prioritization for goaltenders needs to be around positioning so you are square to the shooter and reduce the amount of the net that he has to shoot on the most, and reflexes, so when you are in position you can react to the shots that will be beating you as fast as possible.

I supplemented these attributes with my technical ability to stop shots on the blocker and glove side, my recovery after going into the butterfly or after a desperation save, and my skating abilities. I am confident that my skill set will stack up well against any of the other goaltenders that the SMJHL will roll out there on the other side of the ice from me.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Player’s perspective

This offseason was a big one for Mats Marner in his draft season for the SHL, a lot of SHL teams had high hopes for Marner and he was one of the fastest rising prospects eventually being selected sixth overall by the Calgary Dragons. While Marner was selected quite high, Calgary management made it clear that they wanted Mats to spend another three seasons in the SMJHL juniors developing his game. Management has asked him to develop his two way game as they project him fitting into the Dragon’s third line center role a couple years down the road as a rookie.

On the other, this season back down in the SMJHL Mats Marner is set to have a much more expanded role on the team and a big promotion going from being the fourth line center last year to now anchoring the team’s firs line this season. The Newfoundland coaches have asked Mats to continuing improving his faceoff abilities, as well as, developing his game offensively as a screener to compliment some highly talented wingers. He will be expected to work in the dirty areas in the offensive zone in front of the net, going hard on the fore check and retrieving pucks in the corner while being defensively responsible and back checking hard. Time will tell if Mats Marner can live up to this new role.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Quote:User's perspective: With a season on FHM in the books and a free redistribution gifted by HO for the offseason, what did you decide to change about your player build? Did you drastically change your build from last season? If so, why? Are you going to be trying to fit into a new role this season? What did you learn from last season's pilot run?
Seeing as Detroit is the mini-Hamilton and we cheated our way to the cup (in some people's views), I went to check my build expecting to see extremely high stats in checking and defensive read. I hadn't looked at my build in a few months, as I had capped out at 350 before the previous season. To my utter bamboozlement, my checking stat was only at 9! How did we win the championship this past season if Def read and checking were not all of our highest attributes?? My defensive read was already at 14... obviously because there was a pinned message in discord threatening a trade if we did not have high checking and def read builds (not because def read is an important stat to anyone who reads). In my 425 build, I quickly bumped checking up to 12, as if GM Tig and nour from Hamilton knew I had such a low checking build, I would likely be traded for someone who did. 

(166 words)

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 10:38 AM by kenvald.)

Code:
User's perspective: With a season on FHM in the books and a free redistribution gifted by HO for the offseason, what did you decide to change about your player build? Did you drastically change your build from last season? If so, why? Are you going to be trying to fit into a new role this season? What did you learn from last season's pilot run?

I already tried a slightly different build from my initial FHM one last season by using a paid for redistribution. The very initial build I had was quite balanced among all attributes but with an extra upgrade in the more important ones to me as a two-way defenseman. But going into the season I noticed I was shooting a lot. And with most of our forwards being rookies I actually had one of the best shooting attribute numbers on the team. With that I mind I redistributed some TPE into shooting to become even better, and hopefully actually hit the net sometimes. This worked out a little bit, but it made me realize that with only 425 TPE to work with it's really hard to be a really good shot but also be really good defensively.

Then came the free redistribution. I took what I learned from the previous redistribution, and lowered my shooting attributes instead this time around. I wanted to become more of a passer to give the puck to our now greatly improved forwards for them to shoot, instead of me whiffing from the point.

Another part I wanted to improve about my player's game was the puck handling. I wasn't that great at holding on to the puck all the time, and gave it up more times that I'd hoped. So this season I'm hoping my player will be better technically and be a mix of a two-way and a playmaker.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

So I am still pretty new to this league and thus do not have such huge changes as other players might be having currently. Still there was a lot of work to do in the offseason after we had finished celebrating the 4 star cup that we had been able to win. Coach clearly had specific goals for me and what he wanted me to look at so I could be the best possible two way forward in the upcoming season. To sum it up it was mostly defensive stuff that I needed to look at and I totally agree. We have an amazing group of players in Detroit and I will admit that many of them are much better than me on the offensive side but what I lack there I make up in defense. Mostly I looked to upgrade my reading of the game, puck handling and positioning along with stick checking. This makes it so that I make sure to mop up the plays before they happen and let my teammates do their thing.

[Image: MrEjaPX.png]

[Image: M6lTFl2.jpg]

The coaches asked me to focus on A LOT of things. Since I'm getting the call up this season, I had the ability to grow in many attributes that I kind of held back on due to the cap, and I definitely feel that I'm a candidate for Rookie of the Year after the amount of time in the offseason I spent training. I spent some time working on my shot and skating (not a lot, as they were two of my key strengths), and a bit on my stamina, puckhandling, balance, and agility as well. But I spent a lot of time on a lot of stuff, like passing, positioning on both the offensive and defensive end, reading the play on both ends of the ice, checking with both the body and the stick, shot blocking, and strength (yes, I was lifting a lot of weights). I feel like after my training, I've become a more complete player, and think that I can hold my own in this league.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Prior to going on break following the team missing the playoffs, Luca Del Vecchio asked his coach about what to improve during the off-season. The coach was direct, and told him to improve every aspect whilst staying balanced in all aspects of his game. And that’s exactly what Luca did. A lot of work went into positioning, reflexes and global understanding of the game. Fresh off a nomination to rookie of the year, the motivation to improve was there from the get go.

Training camp was productive once more, with Luca showing clear improvements in all aspects of play. Faster, more agile and better positioned to deny rebounds, Luca will only have himself to blame for any poor performance this season. With the net belonging solely to him for the foreseeable future now that Biscuit has retired, Luca sets his sights on making his first ever playoffs appearance this season. Any other result will be deemed a failure.

(158 words)

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Users Perspective:

I'm still new enough that I'm not making many changes, but I am riding the wave of new information and adjusting accordingly. That being said, I have applied TPE to become more balanced and to become a sort of "Jack-of-all-trades" type of defenseman. I'm able to fit the mold of the Two-Way Defenseman I want to build, but also into the role of a more traditional Old School Defenseman my team may need right now. Last season showed me that building out this type of versatile player will take a lot of time and commitment, but that it should be worth it in the long run to be valuable to any team.

So the long and sort of it is, no, I'm not changing my player build, but I am trying to fit into as many roles as possible to help my team win. I'll see where that goes, but I believe it fits my overall goal of building something well rounded.

[Image: SAwful.gif]

[Image: 4NkSjIm.png]  ||  [Image: 7bttGDC.png]

Armada  ||  Uk  ||  Wolfpack

I changed a couple of things with my player build. I added more tpe into stickchecking and defensive read. Last season, my player didn’t play well on the defense because both attributes were low so I decided to have a higher which will help the team more. Satoshi will have a bigger role this year so these two attributes will definitely help him improve this season. I also upped checking and positioning. My biggest changes are strength and balance. My player had a lot of turnovers and I think it’s because those two stats had a low rating. Upping these stats will decrease the number of turnover this season. I lowered speed because it’s not an important stat for defenseman and it gives me more tpe to add to the other defensive attributes. I tried to be a QB last season but had the second most giveaway. With this new player build I think my player will be much more effective all round this season with my new team

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Michael Scarn made some minor tweaks to his strengths and weaknesses in order to better suit an all around style of play as opposed to the goal scoring focused force he tried to be last season. Scarn has worked hard in training to improve his pass accuracy, as he set up a surprising number of goals last season and realized that if he could improve upon his passing, he would have even more as he made some sloppy passes last season for giveaways that now may turn into goals for his linemates. Scarn also worked on his stickchecking ability, which should work smartly in conjunction with his hitting ability to be able to create more turnovers in the defensive zone against opposing forwards and defensemen. Scarn still projects to be a volume hitting, goal scoring force in front of net, but his game has evolved to become more of a complete player in this offseason.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

Code:

I usually do these point tasks as the players perspective, but I think for this one the user view is more pertinent.  In season 51 and 52 I experimented in STHS and in S52 it seemed to work out well.  Last season, being the first in FHM I also experimented with my goalie build by focusing heavily on the primary and secondary focuses.  Unlike skaters in FHM, the manual doesn't give much in-depth detail on what ratings will affect what performance on the ice.  One of my stats that I purposely kept low was skating.  As I found out through the season, this catch all stat will greatly affect how a goalie performs against breakaways, penalty shots, and close passes in front of the crease.  In short, my goalie was able to get deked out of his shoes every single time...and my overall performance hurt because of it.

With the free-redistribute this season (thank goodness, no money sent this season on it) I brought everything more "in-line", not just with the general popular stats of other goalies...but definitely upping things like skating and a couple others to be within 2-3 of the top stat instead of 3-4 difference.

It's my last season in the juniors.  I've won a cup, and a gold medal in IIHF.  All I would love to be able to do before I make the big jump is have my goaltender make the all-star team.  Being 425 capped for the second season in a row, I'm hoping this build will get me there.

As I'm nearing the end of my career, I decided against re-distributing my attributes. I had a very good campaign last season so I decided to stick to what was working. With regression also on the docket, I didn't see a point in completely changing my structure. I'm a speedy sniper and that's how I want to play at the end of my road.

If there's anything I learned from last season is that there are a lot of important attributes. I'm still not sure which ones to focus on first, but I think I know to be more balanced throughout the skills than in STHS. With my new player coming up soon, I'm kind of using the final seasons of Rockefeller as a trial run so I can hopefully gain enough knowledge to build the new player properly. Going into this season, I'm going to try and stick to the same role I had last season, score goals. It's all I ever wanted to do when I entered the league and I hope I can continue that in my final days.

(182 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
33-12-1
Regular Season - [G 6] [A 8] [Pts 14] [+/- +25] [PIM 30] [Hits 22] [SB 87]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]