Create Account

Top Five Potential SHL Expansion Locations

Obviously, as a rookie, I have no clue how close the SHL  is to actual expansion but even if expansion is  ten or twenty seasons away, I think it’s still fun to think about where an expansion team should go. Now I did this for the PBE before but the  SHL is a lot different because It’s a hockey league. While baseball is becoming an international sport and leagues like the KBO and NPB are growing in popularity, it’s still not nearly as popular internationally as hockey is.  So there’s going to be a lot more teams outside of  North America on this list then the PBE one.

1. Moscow, Russia 

This one might be a bit shocking but I’m a big proponent of putting a professional hockey team in Russia. I don’t think it’ll ever happen in the NHL because of the logistics involved and because of the fact that there’s been quite a bit of bad blood between the KHL and the NHL over the years. In the SHL, we don’t have to worry about any of that so I think Moscow deserves its own team. Russia has the greatest legacy in international hockey outside of North America. The 1974 Summit Series and the 1979 Challenge Series are two of the most legendary events in hockey history. As is the 1980  Winter Olympic Gold Medal game. It's also the second-most populous city in Europe and the 11th largest city on earth so they should have no problem supporting an SHL Team.

Team Name Suggestions:  Moscow Bruins (Russia's National Animal is the Bear and Bruins is a legendary hockey team name so I think it fits.), Moscow Tsars (Essentially the Russian version of a  King or Emperor,  I could see this name fitting a  Moscow-based Hockey team well.), Moscow Kalashnikovs (This is the one I would go with because I just think it's cool. I also think there's a natural rivalry built-in with the Baltimore Platoon as well.)

2. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Another controversial pick. I know that Philly has a rather notorious reputation among sports fans but no one can deny that Philadelphia is a sports town and it's the sixth-largest city in the United States. My main reason for opposing this would be it's relatively close proximity to Manhattan and Baltimore but a counterargument to that could be that with all three of those cities in close proximity to each other that it makes it easy for a natural rivalry to form between them. I also think that if the NHL can put three teams in New York then we can put three teams in different states that are relatively close to each other.

I also debated putting New Jersey on this list instead of Philadelphia but the population discrepancy was so great that I couldn't justify picking any other city over Philly here. Newark is the seventy-first largest city in the U.S compared to sixth for Philly, It's not close. This is also the only city to appear on both the PBE and SHL list. Apparently, Philadelphia is a really underrated city in sim leagues for some reason.

Team Name Suggestion: Philadelphia Hellbenders (The Hellbender is the official state amphibian of Pennsylvania and it's a  pretty cool name.), Philadelphia Independence (The declaration of independence was signed in  Philadelphia.),  Philadelphia Boxers  (Philadelphia has a huge history with boxing in the city. The Blue Horizon is a particularly legendary boxing arena for example.)

3. Prague, Czech Republic

I told you there'd be a  lot of cities that aren't in North America on the list and here we have another one. The reason for putting Prague here is because the Czech Republic is one of the big six (the most important National Teams in hockey) and has the third-largest number of hockey players in the world. It also has a population of one point three million people which would be good enough for the tenth-largest city in the United States.

Team Name Suggestion: Prague  Jackal (The European Jackal is native to the Czech Republic and I think a Jackal would make a good mascot.),  Prague Vultures (The Black Vulture is native to the Czech Republic and I just think Vultures are a really cool and unused team mascot idea. Seriously, they are the most badass birds ever. Why is no team in sports called the Vultures?)

4. Stockholm, Sweden

This might be a bit of a homer pick because my player Sven Gunnar is Swedish but Sweden has a population of nine hundred and seventy-five thousand people which by comparison would be good enough for the twelfth largest city in the United States. The first hockey game in Sweden was played in 1912, so they have a long history of love of the game.  I also think having a team in either Russia or Europe would create an interesting dynamic as it would obviously give them a noticeable advantage when it comes to signing international talent. 

Team Name Suggestion: Stockholm Razorbills (Razorbills are actually pretty non-threatening birds but they have a badass name and they are native to Sweden so it fits.), Stockholm Hussars (Basically Medieval Navy Seals. Hussars are usually seen as more Eastern European but there is a current active unit of Hussars in Sweden so the name would fit.), Stockholm Jomsviking (They're just straight-up Vikings. There doesn't really have to be much more of it to that does there?) 

5.  Helinski, Finland

This is honestly the one I'm the least confident in. I'm really only suggesting this because Finland is apart of the big six. Otherwise, there isn't really a reason to put a team in Finland. No offense to Finland but Helinski is a relatively small city and Finland is a tiny country so I'm not sure how well they could potentially support an SHL Franchise. I also debate putting Berlin on this list because Ice Hockey in Germany is apparently growing at a serious rate now so that's a place to look at in the future. I also feel like putting Stockholm on here and not Helinski would be unfair even though Stockholm is much larger then Helinski in terms of population.

Team Name Suggestion:  Helinski Hellraisers (This just works perfectly.  You give them a little devil mascot and logo and you're set.),  Helinski Finnhorse (This is the most questionable one in this article. The Finnhorse is apparently a very popular horse that originated in Finland. I guess perhaps the Helinski Colts would be a much better name.), Helinski White Death  (When most Americans think of Finland, they think of Simo Häyhä. He's arguably the most famous Finnish person in the world so naming the team after him might not be a bad idea.)

Code:
1,119 Words

Was expecting 1-5 to be Montreal

None were Montreal

0/10 wouldn't read again

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

The Salt Lake City Sand Lions have already been guaranteed a spot in the next expansion.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

SWEDEN SWEDEN SWEDEN

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

European teame never gonna happen.

Also New Jersey doesn't exist. The existence is just a fable by those who dont know it is just an extension of PA and NY.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2020, 03:17 PM by _Blitz_.)

Hey, just to let you know, your article not visible in Dark Mode.

For future reference, pasting as plain text resolves this issue. Ctrl+Shift+V, Option+Cmd+Shift+V, or right-clicking or holding in the text box and selecting "Paste as Plain Text" all do this.

You can also click the "A" with the red dot in the post editor to clear formatting and fix it.

That aside, you make some interesting points, but our league is specifically North American. This also matters for FHM.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

05-30-2020, 03:07 PMhhh81 Wrote: European teame never gonna happen.

Also New Jersey doesn't exist. The existence is just a fable by those who dont know it is just an extension of PA and NY.

as a "New Jersey" resident i can confirm

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Just stop using dark mode everybody. never worry again

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

montreal
montreal
montreal
montreal
montreal

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

05-30-2020, 04:08 PMNokazoa Wrote: Just stop using dark mode everybody. never worry again
Post reported.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

05-30-2020, 04:08 PMNokazoa Wrote: Just stop using dark mode everybody. never worry again

if I neg repped people I would neg rep you for this opinion

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

05-31-2020, 09:51 AMGrapehead Wrote:

if I neg repped people I would neg rep you for this opinion

I get that a lot. love you Grape

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]