Create Account

Prince George Interviews Burkholder 644 words

Reporter: Tonight were live via satellite we have new draftee Neil Burkholder who was selected thirty-eight overall tonight by your Prince George Firebirds. Welcome Neil to Prince George.

Neil Burkholder: Thank you very much, I’m glad to be here in Prince George.

Reporter: You were drafted thirty eighth overall was it a surprise you went so late? Or did you believe you were going to be going later?

Neil Burkholder: To be honest I came in with an open mind about where I was going to be selected. Of course I wanted to go high but I knew with me being a high school player I knew I wasn’t going to be the first overall pick. There is prejudice to high school players and it is unfair. I understand their isn’t a lot of scouting going around in the NWJHL ranks but I will prove the other five teams that not selected me will be their downfall.

Reporter: Did other teams outside of Prince George contact you?

Neil Burkholder: Well I did have a few calls from some other teams and after each phone call it got me excited because I knew I was going to be drafted which is really what I always wanted. I didn’t have a preference where I wanted to go, and Prince George did contact me first and when they talked to me I knew if I was going to be available they were going to take me, and I want to thank them, and I promise you, you made the right choice.

Reporter: Do you know what type of role you will be playing in Prince George?

Neil Burkholder: Honestly I don’t, I have talked to much about that yet, I did get a phone call from the head coach when they selected me and told me welcome aboard and come out tomorrow for the physical, and all that kind of stuff. I’ll do anything they want me to do, if they want me to be a towel boy I’ll do it, if they want me to be on the first pairing I’ll do that as well. Whatever they want I’ll do, not many players get a chance to play for a great organization like I do and I’ll respect their opinion because their one of the best teams in the league.

Reporter: Do you think there is going to be a long contract negotiation?

Neil Burkholder: To be honest no, I don’t I do believe I should be paid fairly but if they offer me a fair contract I’ll sign it. I’m not too worried about my contact right now, that will get done and I have no reason why it shouldn’t get done. Then we can move on to the important part of playing hockey.

Reporter: What is your biggest strength to your game?

Neil Burkholder: Really I would say my defensive position, and my checking. I love to be rough, and love to stop the opposition. I want to knock every offensive player of the puck and I plan on doing so at every opportunity. I can match move for move, I’m good but I still need help and I plan on training it. I just finished working with a professional scout to help my defense out.

Reporter: What is your biggest flaw to your game?

Neil Burkholder: I need to get my offensive skills up to par. I’m a little weak in that area but I plan on spending this year really developing that and turning me into an all-around type defenseman to round me out some more. I want to push myself one thousand percent to make me better which will end up getting our Firebirds wins.

Reporter: Well Neil congratulations on being the next Prince George Firebird, I have a feeling were going to see a lot more of you in the upcoming days.