Create Account

S54 SMJHL PT #2 - Player Personality

Ryan Rieley, a left winger currently playing for the Colorado Raptors, is a big, tough, scrappy player on the ice, but off the ice, the young American enjoys some of the quieter aspects in his free time. On an average day in between games and practices for the Raptors, you can find Ryan in his Denver apartment hanging out with his Boston terrier and oftentimes, enjoying a cup of gourmet coffee and some music from his personal vinyl collection. The likes of Tim Hortons and Dunkin just doesn't quite to it for Ryan when it comes to his coffee needs, so he's taken it upon himself to create his own luxury coffee bar in his apartment where can make whatever he desires. His vinyl collection is where some of that tough, gruff style from the ice comes back into play, as he often favors collecting pieces of vinyl from punk rock or post-hardcore bands. His taste in music is juxtaposed from his often relaxed attitude and personality, but it's all in the cocktail of a relaxing afternoon for Ryan Rieley.

Code:
180 Words

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

When Colin Lambert signed in St. Louis as a DFA for their playoff run last season, he was unable to crack the lineup. To show his appreciation and earn his keep, he acted as the team's equipment manager. It was a good way to keep himself occupied and help the team off the ice during the long playoff run, but once he was drafted by the team and assured a roster spot, his position as equipment manager was no longer needed.

Lambert became hopelessly addicted to everything that comes with managing hockey equipment. After being caught several times washing jerseys and sharpening skates in the rink late at night by team player/GM Danny Marston, he was asked to knock it off so it didn't effect his on-ice performance. Lambert agreed, but still secretly sharpens skates and folds socks when no one is looking.

Marston was probably right, as Lambert has a measly one goal so far this season. Maybe if he spent less time folding laundry and cutting sticks he would be playing better this season.

Code:
Word Count:184

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 06:19 PM by teztify.)

When Lassi Suhonen made the late jump over to the SMJHL this season, few knew much about the Finnish centreman. While his skills on the ice weren't doubted, some considered him a bit of an introvert and worried that his gaming habits might get in the way of his on-ice success - fears that have plagued his countrymen and NHL counterparts in Patrik Laine and Olli Juolevi. Indeed, it has been revealed that Suhonen spends what some have described as an "absurd" amount of time playing on some sort of online simulation hockey league known as the "Simulation National Hockey League", where users write articles and improve their virtual player. When asked about this, Suhonen declared that "it's embarrassing that this is becoming an issue in the news, but really there's no story - it's just a hobby of mine, everybody has things they do to waste time and this is mine." Meanwhile, his teammates aren't so sure. "It's weird" said Jack Klompus, while linemate Liam Slate added "he should spend the time he wastes on there practicing his passes, maybe he'd set me up more."

Code:
192 words

Interviewer: Hello and welcome to "The Could Be Better Show". Today on the show we have one of the new Hockey players on the scene, Rookie Cody Spinka of the St. Louis Scarecrows.

Spinka: It's a pleasure to be here Bob thanks for having me.

Interviewer: Of course, let's jump right into things. I know the season just started and things aren't looking the way you'd hope but we're more interested about you as the player. What brought you to the world of hockey?

Spinka: Yeah Bob my seasons just getting started and I'm hoping by the end of the season I can shape up here, not how I want to be playing but give me time! But what really brought me to hockey was what every Canadian hopes of, becoming a hockey star and making it into the Hockey Hall of Fame but don't forget the cup, that would be an insane dream come true. My dad was a hockey player for a majority of his life and it's always been a family thing. I have two older brothers and we'd spend hours and hours during the summer time playing street hockey. I can't remember a time that hockey wasn't a huge part of the family. Growing up in a small town too where everyone would get together to play pick up games was always pretty cool too.

Interviewer: That's awesome! Canadians can't get enough of hockey! Now let's ask the most important questions of all time. I have TWO really important ones for you...First question, do you like Pineapple on your pizza?

Spinka: I mean who doesn't?! Call me crazy but my favorite pizza would be Italian sausage with pineapple and pepperoni! But can't make everyone happy, sorry to the kids out there who just don't understand flavor. 

Interviewer: And you sir are crazy! *dead stares into the camera* But I guess like you said, ya can't please them all. And for question number two! Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Spinka: Uhhhh, I would think anything between two slices of any form of bread would be a sandwich...am I wrong? What kind of questions...are these?

Interviewer: I don't know Cody...How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootie-pop...

Spinka: ...I, uhh...I'm...not sure where is this going?...

Interviewer: Do you sleep with one foot out of your sheets at night?!

Spinka: Yeeeeeah I'm gonna go now....

Interviewer: ARE YOU TOO AFRAID TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS OF THE PEOPLE?!

Spinka: ...Uhhhhh

Interviewer: *begins throwing papers, slamming lights and throwing equipment* SEE LINDA I CAN TOO INTERVIEW PEOPLE! I WAS BORN FOR THIS! BOOOOORN FOR THIS! 

Spinka: ....Should have just did the interview with ESPN.

Code:
2223 Characters / 516 Words

[Image: lOtAKmL.png]
[Image: DrbPYHV.png][Image: UDyqktK.png]

Reporter: Welcome to the Raptor Podcast today we have a very special guest with us today, Colorado Raptors 5th overall pick and what most of us call him, The God Mother.
Godmother: Hello, it's a pleasure to be on your podcast today.
Reporter: It's a pleasure to have you! So we have a question for you today so answer as best as you can! Why the GodMother?
Godmother: Haha! I feel everyone just got tired of calling me Gudmunder as it sounds like a mouthful and at one point they just went with the Godmother and it stuck especially with my play style. I actually remember the instant it occurred we were sitting in the locker room and one of my teammates was struggling to say my name and then decided screw it you are the Godmother now. I fully embraced the nickname and now I get fans in arenas showing up waving wands and wearing disney style dresses, it really cracks me up. I decided to play along for the kids of course and showed up to practice wearing a bright pink frilly dress and a tiara and completed team practice wearing that outfit. It was a good laugh but I knew it meant a lot to the kids , they go a lot of photo ops out of it.
Reporter: That's all we have for this segment of the Raptor Podcast , tune in tomorrow when we debate between which dino is better, Austroraptor or Utahraptor.

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Maine Timber News

Forward Jesse Seppanen has been trying to adjust to the Maine lifestyle throughout the season - the fishing, the logging. Seppanen has been trying to take everything in to make the most of his stay in the United States.

"I like Maine very much." He says with his broken English accent. No matter how much he loves Maine, his English still isn't the best, even though it is slightly improving the further into the season it goes.

"I like teammates very much. I'm have fun time score goal." Seppanen had some criticism for himself though, his personality is one that is tough on himself.

"I need do better away from puck - defense is weak for me. I need to get stronger on puck, playing outside right now." The outside he is talking about, is the outside of this ice. He has been hesitant to drive the middle against experienced SMJHL players. This should go away in time. He rubs his chin. He does need to improve his game significantly.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Raptors Real Talk

Colorado has a new rookie right wing and he was seen at Chasers club multiple  evenings this week living it up. According to the sources this was Pandas third night in one week at the establishment. Apparently the young rookie had been coming here after practice every day this week and staying till the club closes at 2am. The young man is a clear fan of the nightlife Colorado has to offer. All three nights he has gotten very intoxicated and left with a different person is what we’ve been told. 

Is this new rookie really wasting his time, energy and money on the Colorado party scene? When asked for a comment I was denied so I decided to try something else. I checked on the team practice and I can confirm that the rookie was clearly showing signs of fatigue and lack of energy. However he did get a stern talking too from the coaches during practice so I can only hope this practice won’t continue.

[Image: juniped_shl.gif]

Just a few games in the season and Igor Victory has been quickly adjusting to life in Anchorage. Coming from Finland, it really hasn't been a huge adjustment for him. The landscapes and climates are pretty similar, lots of beautiful conifers, rivers, the occasional Moose that jaunts by the rookie housing. However, it's the view of the Alaska Range and Mt. Denali that is most breathtaking and different than his home land of Tampere, Finland.

He's no stranger to outdoor activities, but Alaska is a different frontier. He was invited by some locals to take a helicopter ride out to a glacier and then tour some Ice Caves. What an experience to be able to see the vibrant blue from the eons old ice. The weirdest thing he had while on this trip, was a local specialty called Akutuq. It's a mixture of snow, berries, and seal oil. Yep, seal oil. The treat was given to locals before they started their annual whale hunt. Igor described it like eating "a strange sweet and savory frosting". He enjoyed his version, however, will pass on the ones made of Blood and Beaver. He tried to bring some back to the team so they could all try, however it melted and he was left with a purple, greasy stain on his pants that he now has to figure out how to get out.

All in all, he's adjusting well, but will limit his strange food intake to the Reindeer Dogs they serve at the stadium.

(257 words)

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Despite the busy grind of the SMJHL season Pavel Kharlamov takes time out of it to continue on one of his favourite pastimes. Chess, which is one of the few things in life Pavel has struggled with and is a great example of his ability to keep motivated to get better.
Kharlamov played with some friends he had made back in University in Russia. He was totally outmatched by them not winning a single game, most would have stopped playing against them especially one who is on his way to becoming a grandmaster. To Pavel it is the ultimate challenge to keep improving and hopefully beat one of them. When asked about it he responded “Sometimes you train hard and never see the big results but you are getting better. You need to keep motivated if you are to see results”

With that attitude you can see how Pavel has gotten off to a good start this season after a slower preseason. Working hard and hopefully being on the right track to success.

The Maine Reporter

Adrik Baranov: The Somber Russian

For the stoic Russian defenceman Adrik Baranov, a sense of strict self discipline have always been a part of his personality and life. Seemingly born to be an overly serious person; he was the ‘most serious looking child you can imagine’ according to his mother and this has only continued as he grew up. Rather then trying to open up, Adrik says that he has tried to cultivate that part of himself. From his childhood until he was drafted into the Maine Timber, he participated in activities such as boxing and karate in a desire to hone himself into being as disciplined as possible. His desire to live a disciplined life is evident in his day to day activities as well, particularly his mornings and evenings are regimented to the minute, ending when he goes to bed at the same time every day. It’s rare for him to deviate from his strict schedule, only doing so when its completely warranted such as a celebration with the team. He can loosen up but it might take something as huge as the Timber winning the Cup in order to see him go completely wild.

192 Words

Andren Akerson (Present)
Adrik Baranov (S55 to S70)
Rurik Razin (S32 to S44)
Roy Razin (S17 to S32) (HOF/Rage HOF)
Audun Wissink (S5 to S15)

Detroit Free Press, Beginning of S54:

DFP: We are here with Detroit Falcons SMJHL rookie Sammy Blaze, who has a fun story about his last season playing high school hockey.

Sammy Blaze: Yes, thank you for having me. In my last year as a senior playing high school puck, we were up against the big rival school in the championship game. One of their larger players, the mayor's son actually, came down to our school at lunch to try to start a fight to get our team rattled. He grabbed this tiny kid and was about to pummel him to submission until I stepped in between the two of them. It looked like the mayor's son was going to hit me, giving me a concussion and forcing me to miss the big game. As I was the best player to ever play at that school, it would be a guaranteed loss. Instead, he promised me that if I helped him out, he would drop out of the big game, basically guaranteeing us the win.

Turns out this tiny kid was fucking his sister, so the mayor's son and I beat the shit out of him, and my high school ended up winning the championship. I'll do anything to win.

DFP: Okay then.

:Welcome back to Hockey in St louis where today we will be interviewing the rookie winger Young Logo, Welcome Logo how are you today

I am great thanks for having me its always exciting when you get to do an interview

;Personality wise we have heard some things about you from teammates can you explain how you are in the locker room

In the locker room before and after practice its usually just me and the other rookies talking and enjoying our chance in the league because of how hard we all worked for this and the occasional locker room pranks take place

: outside of hockey we have heard rumors that you are looking into producing music and making your own right here in st Louis

Well with the studio across from the stadium i often find myself over there just listening to beats and rapping over them while also making my own beats on the side for fun

:where does someone learn how to make music such as you do and who were some of your inspirations

Well i think it starts with a passion for music in general and just enjoying the beats and the lyrics itself and one day think i can do this and just have to have the drive for it like anything else. some producers i enjoy the most are murdabeatz, metro boomin and Pierre bourne.

;Well thats all for the interview and good luck on the upcoming season

thanks pleasure to be here.

A look inside an article published by Carolina weekly

With the new SMJHL season on its way, we got the chance to catch up with one of Krakens newest members, the SMJHL S54 draftee from Ogre, Latvia - Zelma Zutnere. The new and promising rookie met with us in one of her most favorite places - Charlotte.

CW - Welcome to Charlotte, Zelma! Maybe lets start with something interesting and leave the small talk to other interviews.
ZZ - Hi! Thank you, I am loving this city. Sounds great, lets do it!
CW - I did some research and it turns out that you are a big fan of Ru Paul's Drag Race, is it true?
ZZ - Yes! I am a huge fan! I started binging the show a few weeks back and now I have gone trough all of the episodes in main show and gonna start watching the All-Stars specials. Unfortunatelly, I already know all the winners except for season 5, but I still live for the runways, maxi challenges and of course - DRAMAAAA!
CW - Looks like you are really passionate about Drag Race, what are some of your favourite contestants?
ZZ - I really loved Raja, Bob the Drag Queen, Miss Vanjie left me saying - Miss Vanjie, Miss Vanjie - for weeks and I still can't stop. I really love the queens that are not only funny, but also can turn heads with their amazing looks. I am still waiting for Ru to invite me to be a guest judge. I could maybe help the queens learn some hockey moves....

For a more detailed interview visit Carolina weekly web page

250+ words

[Image: 32882_s.gif]

Oliver Pettyfer / Isaac Cormier Hale / Eva Lykke Aparjode

Reporter: Thank you for your time Victor. What's been your favorite memory of your rookie season so far?

Victor: Thanks for the time here. The season has been a blast so far, hanging with the guys and just have a great time on and off the ice. Favorite memory is a tough one, but probably after my first goal. As you probably know, I love scoring goals, and I had been waiting for the opportunity to score for a few games by that point. But when it finally happened, I was overwhelmed with joy and excitement. The first thing I did was thank God, as I wouldn't be there without him, then celebrated with my teammates on the ice in a big group hug. Everyone was so pumped for me, tears may have been apparent on my face, can't confirm though. After the game, I called my dad of course, and he was super pumped. I also thanked all my youth coaches for their help getting me here, before heading out to celebrate more with my teammates. It was a great day, and an unforgettable experience.

[Image: 55708_s.gif]

First Ever SHL Goal:
Code:
5. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 1 (Piotr Czerkawski 1, Cameron Dubois 2) at 16:27

First Ever Hat Trick:
Code:
S45 Game 46 NEW vs TOR
6. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 1 (Artemi Berezin 3, Tigole Bitties 5) at 5:21
9. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 2 (Artemi Berezin 4) at 18:58
10. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 3 (Tigole Bitties 7, Manuel Gotze 2) at 19:38 (Empty Net)

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2020, 05:14 PM by DonutDefender.)

Interviewer: Hey Alex, so we’ve learned a lot about your play on the ice, but were here today to learn more about the person that you are off the ice. With that being said, what are some hobbies you enjoy?

Alex Marshall: Well, as is the case with a lot of players, I’m into golf. I love playing golf with the boys whenever I get the chance. I don’t want to be that guy and brag, but let’s just say the handicap is as big as it’s ever been when I’m playing against my new teammates. It’s shocking. I never thought I would be apart of a team with such incapable golfers. O’McGuiness (@the_paytonium ) is drunk more often then not, Poppinfresh (@bluebob22 ) cares more about what he’s is wearing then his golf game, and Victor Ball (@jcfbey01 ) Happy Gilmore’s it every chance he gets. They really need to learn to respect the game of golf, it’s a beautiful thing.

[Image: d4tHOa1.png]