Create Account

Taking a Peek at the Whalers Draft

Its that time of year again, when the dreams of dozens of aspiring superstars are realized, and teams look for players that can be a crucial pillar to build upon for the future. Today, however, we are looking at one particular team's draft: The Vancouver Whalers. The Whalers ended up with the 3rd overall pick. With this pick, the Whalers picked Ivo Williems, the scoring machine out of the Netherlands. Here is a quick glance at Mr. Williems.

<div align="center">[Image: Top-NHL-draft-prospect-Nail-Yakupov.jpg]</div>

As mentioned before, Ivo's best ability is to put the puck in the net. He is quite possibly the most gifted offensive player in the NWJHL draft. Standing at 6'0 and 190 pounds, he is not the most physically intimidating physical specimen, but he can beat you with his speed and quick hands that allow him to get the puck past the net-minder. Last season, while playing is his home country of the Netherlands, Williems led the league in goals with 65 in 52 games. However, Williams has admitted that there is alot that he still needs to work on. "Back in the Netherlands, I could be the best player on the team without really needing to develop the rest of my game. I can't do that and succeed here. I know that my defense is a little shaky, and I am going to have to be physical with some of the bigger bodies in the league." Even though he still needs to develop some aspects to his game, there are few doubts that Williems will be one of the best players in the league.

Pick Grade: A-

<div align="center">[Image: Claude-Giroux1.png]</div>

With the 12th overall pick, the Whalers then selected John Langabeer. This pick was questioned by some, not because of Langabeer's talent, but because he also plays the same position, left wing, that Ivo Williems plays. There has been rumors coming out of Vancouver that Langabeer would move to right wing, so the two could possibly play on the same line. The Whaler's front office would neither confirm nor deny this report. Langabeer is a playmaker in every sense of the word. His skating, puck handling, shooting, and passing are all above average. Langabeer can ever get back and play defense pretty well. When asked about his relationship with Williems, Langabeer had nothing but positive things to say. "Ivo and I are very close, we have really developed a friendship over the last few weeks. I don't really see a position dilemma. I will play with Williems, or I can stay at left wing and play on a different line. Whatever makes this team the best."

Pick Grade: B+

<div align="center">[Image: 20041029-marco_sturm.jpg]</div>

In the third round the Whalers went defense, and selected German point man Jan Cross. Cross is relatively unknown, but has some skill. Cross stands about 6 feet 2 inches and weighs about 210 pounds. Cross is considered more of an offensive defenseman, but overall he is pretty well rounded. One scout had nothing but positive things to say about Cross. "We think he is going to turn into a very nice prospect. It's very hard to know for sure because of such a small sample size, but from what we have seen so far we really like. Cross can join the rush if need be, and he's not afraid to mix it up. When all is said and done, he could be a slight steal in this draft." Cross, however, is not sold on himself yet. "I have alot to prove," said Cross, "right now the most important thing is getting to practice and getting some chemistry with my new teammates and trying to improve every day."

Pick Grade: B

<div align="center">[Image: Head_shot_-_Cleary_240x240.JPG]</div>

In the fourth round, the Whalers again went with a winger, this time on the right side. With the 24th overall pick, the Whalers selected Chad Levasseur, the hometown kid from British Columbia. Levasseur is built from a similar mold that Langabeer is. Both are all around players, but Levasseur is a little more focused on a defensive presence and setting his teammates up. Some reporters speculate that Levasseur could be a perfect tandem with Williems, because he could get Ivo the puck in scoring positions. When asked about what it was like to be drafted by the Whalers, Chad responded, "It is a dream come true. I have been a Whalers fan since birth basically. My parents had season tickets, and we would go to as many games as possible. Its going to be a great feeling to get to play in front of them."

Pick Grade: B+

Words: 755
Pictures: 4

Ilike Keep it up and you're gonna be a stud Smile

Keep it buddy. Great article

Good article, but you missed our 9th overall pick Wink

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)