Create Account

SMJHL Award Naming Rights: A Research Project

Name 1 the Jon Forty-One Award for whoever is the worst captain.

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

I love this Smile Absolutely fantastic work as someone who lived the history of the SHL and loves to celebrate the building of the league into what it is today, articles like this are awesome. So much dedication and work on your part, great job. +rep

It's funny because awards are named after individuals who were influential in early years of the league, but many have kind of disappeared over the years or may not be considered to be as important now. I don't personally like changes award names except when an individual has disgraced the league or has done some damage (i.e. Fernando Garcia in the SHL, or possibly Ideen Fallah here).

I know I'm the furthest thing from dedicated now lol, but when this award was named in S20ish I think I was involved in the J for 14 of my 15 seasons in the league and 14 of the 19 full seasons the league had experienced to that point, was an SMJHL commissioner between S10 and S17 when we developed the name change, the send down rules starting with minor league affiliation eventually changed to what we have today, the recruitment drive, and the awards committee.

It's kinda lame to think about how this award is named after myself though when we have had so many dedicated members to both the SHL and SMJHL in this time, people who definitely did more than I ever did, but I guess in S20 it made sense. Sorry to everyone who is disappointed that you are winning an award named after a fairly inactive SHL member who only pops by to make a funny post once in a while. Maybe I'll come back strong soon, see if I can win that Zach Miller award one last time Wink

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Awesome work, super interesting to learn some of SHL's history! Thanks!

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Very cool, great work on this and thanks for the kind words.
Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

you're welcome @Steelhead77 Wink

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

06-03-2020, 11:30 AMtakethehorizon Wrote: Awesome work, super interesting to learn some of SHL's history! Thanks!
I'm glad it's having the intended effect on people!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Just got around to reading this. Since I'm new this is great to read about the history of the league and some of the names that helped along the way. Great stuff @hhh81

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

06-02-2020, 07:06 PMhhh81 Wrote: Ronan O’Keefe Trophy – Award Given to Playoffs Points Leader
O’Keefe was a solid player. He was active from S6-S13 with Vancouver (Nightmare), Hamilton, Edmonton. In 360 games, he scored 257 points and racked up 860 hits (including back to back 50 point seasons in S10 and S11. O’Keefe was on the S13 Challenge Cup squad with Edmonton, while also making the finals in S7 and S9 with Hamilton.

Believe it or not, @stud was briefly in team management! Records show he was Hamilton’s GM for some/all of S9, though may have gone inactive and was replaced by @Jorec.

Honestly, as I researched stud my head starting hurting more and more. Dude’s posted a LOT of threads and over 10,000 posts, which is crazy, though it’s not entirely clear how much value came from those posts. The best way I can make sense of him is @stud was @GeckoeyGecko / @Pingy Pingu before there was a Geck or Pingy. Older users have said he was a “good guy… funny as hell” who kept things from getting too serious. A walking meme incarnated, he’s off and on had an active player for a long time. After O’Keefe came Belial, then Potato Chips in S26 (a good SMJHL player), a joke player in S33 not worth discussing, and then Khan Smeb in S47. Since then he’s gone inactive again, but can we expect anything else from the mercurial troll that is stud?

Your research is hot fucking garbage. No value from my posts? Are you joking. My posts ranged from SHL problems to unbanning gorlab. All had major impact to the successes of Simulation Hockey League.

Discord are for plebs

06-02-2020, 07:06 PMhhh81 Wrote:
Quilha Agante Trophy – Award Given to Top Defenseman
This was an especially hard award to find a lot of information about. Without JayWhy, I wouldn’t have found much of anything. Agante’s original username was Hornsby, but quickly changed to @diamond_ace. Agante played five seasons in the SHL with Manhattan and Las Vegas (S5-S9). More of a shutdown player, he compiled 76 points, 543 hits, and 349 blocked shots in 255 games. He was named an All Star once and was a finalist for the Scott Stevens trophy twice, but never won.

Diamond_ace also was the GM for the Manhattan Rage from S6-S15, leading the Rage to the Challenge Cup Finals in S13 (where they fell in 5 games to Edmonton). While diamond_ace hasn’t made a post since 2017, they were actually online earlier this month (5/11/20). While their time on site doesn’t have the longevity or wide-impact as some of his peers, his tenure is still a solid one in site history.

Here's your post, friends.

I was "Hornsby" after a brand of cider.

[Image: bottle_apple.jpg]

Basically I was already a fairly well established user as diamond_ace in VHL and at the time, VFL (long since defunct). I wanted to come over here a bit under the radar and not have my draft stock determined by people who knew me there. I wasn't sure how long I was going to stay here, as I'd heard good and bad at the time. It caught my interest, I stuck around, and I was fairly soon given the GM position of Manhattan (I was on Calgary Wranglers in VHL with Spangle - GMed them as well, although I'm not sure which position I had first. They definitely ran concurrently, though). Once I knew I was going to be around here for some time, I swapped over to my more recognizable username. While I was here, I was Quilha Agante, Clyde "Shadow" Arrowny, and I believe one other player that I don't remember. Agante was by far the best one, it's unfortunate I felt the need to retire him so early to fit with the team's timeline. **Side note: if any of you are in NSFL, I did the same thing there as Squamish/Bogdan Wojcik, although at a different/busier time in my life, and did not stick around as long there.**

Stuck around here for a few years, gradually went inactive just about everywhere as my life picked up. Came back to sim leagues in general a few years ago, did my usual "let's over commit to like 900 leagues and try out way more than I can handle" and ultimately that's what caused me to go inactive in NSFL, as well as briefly GRSL although that was partially also a disagreement with ownership, but GRSL died shortly after I left anyway. Right now, I'm still in VHL/EFL/SBA, the leagues with the other type of structure. I prefer that structure and have not really been able to make it stick with a league with SHL-style structure since I've come back. In VHL at the moment, I'm GM of the Prague Phantoms, as well as commissioner of the VHLM (minors). As VHLM commissioner I get an "auto 12" in EFL and SBA, otherwise who knows if I'd really have time for 3 leagues at this stage of my life. Always been a big advocate of the minors in any league I've been in, so I'm incredibly happy to discover I have an SMJHL award named for my guy from here.

LIFE STUFF:

Some of you probably actually remember me fairly well (some of you are probably also in both here and VHL and might still know me despite not being here for ages). In any case, I'm now "sim league old" (35) with a full time adult job as central admissions for a hospital group based in the Pittsburgh area (applied for another job in the same company, operations analyst, so this might change in the next few weeks - potential new job also pays significantly better than current job, not that current job is exactly lacking in that area, but I digress). I'm also engaged, set to be married in November, and I've been with her since 2015 (right in the middle of my inactive span, actually). She's a chef, culinary degree and the works - externship at a fancy country club in Maine, semester in France, you get the idea. She's a triathlete as well, and she biked Pittsburgh to DC along the passage a few years back. I'm also an ultrarunner now, I've done 7 marathons and a 50k (31 miles for us imperial unit folks) and my "peak" in that sense (Sept 2017) was a span of 73 miles in 4 days - marathon on Wed, marathon on Thu, off Fri, medical DNF 21 miles into an attempted marathon on Sat. So yeah, life has just caught up to me for the most part. Two incomes, no kids or regular commitments, I'll be getting a house for $1 in a few years (the house I currently live in, but when my mom retires she's selling it to me, paid off completely, for $1) so I've been able to live a pretty good life all things considered. We go on trips a looooot - well, during peak Covid that was reduced to local trips to hotels within my same city, but still. Unfortunately, SHL is not currently part of that life, but for a big part of it, you were, and I'm glad to have somewhat of a legacy here nonetheless with an award.

Cheers everyone and go Rage!
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2021, 11:21 AM by artermis.)

Also notable: Spangle also is the founder of the current IIHF and the Regina Force

EDIT: I also realize that this a year-old bumped thread and my comments are moot.

Wished I saw it when it was new :(

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]