Create Account

Culinary Quarantine with Nat Emerson

Hey guys. Nat Emerson here in my new kitchen in beautiful Baltimore, Maryland. I know quarantine, social distancing, and being cooped up all day every day in the house can really get to you. The Baltimore Platoon and I have partnered up to start this home cooking channel to help with being stuck inside.

(Intro music and graphic)

Okay. So some of you may already know that I am a bit of a home chef. I think it is an important skill to develop. I like to think that aside from the obvious nutritional advantages home cooking has it also helps me develop some skills for the rink as well. I'm no master chef or anything but I like giving things a shot and learning from my mistakes. Cooking is great because you can do it all by your lonesome or with a significant other or child.

Enough with the yadda yadda stuff, right? Today I am going to show you how I make my personal favorite Korean food, budae jjigae.

[Image: upZqPKH_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]

Budae jjigae translates to army base stew and has a bit of a downer history. It originates from the Korean War when Koreans would grab whatever scraps they could from US army bases and cook it up. From its depressing origins budae jjigae has become one of the most popular foods in Korea. And it is straight fire.

The beautiful thing about this stuff is that almost anything can be thrown in it. This is my take, if there is something you don't like ignore or replace it. Boom. Easy.

Be forewarned this isn't exactly health food so don't go telling the trainers what I'm doing here.

Ingredients
Gochujang - a Korean red pepper paste
Gochugaru - Korean red pepper flakes
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Anchovy broth (totally optional - just water is fine)
Just a whole lot of minced garlic
1 onion
3 or 4 green onions
Tofu
A few hot dogs
A can of spam
One pack of ramen noodles

First get your water with anchovy broth boiling.

While that is coming up to a boil we can get everything else ready. Slice the onion, hot dogs, and spam and tofu into your preferred sized bits and set aside.

Next we are going to make the flavor paste for the stew. I take 2 big spoonfuls of gochujang, a decent glug of soy sauce, a big spoonful of garlic, and a couple big pinches of gochugaru and mix them all together in a bowl. Once they are combined throw the flavor paste, green onions, and onions in the pot and let them get to know each other.

After a bit add the hot dogs, spam, and tofu and once again give them some time to come together. Give it a taste to see if you need to spice it up and add some more water if you can't handle it.

Add your ramen noodles and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.

Plate it up with a drizzle of sesame oil on top and a bowl of rice on the side.

Absolutely fucking lights out. Oh crap can I swear on this show? Umm I look forward to seeing you guys again soon with another Korean dish to share with you. Maybe we can get some guests to stream in here. Who knows.

Meal. Snipe. Celly.

Get cooking.

(558 words)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Holy fuck that looks good. It doesnt SOUND good as i never been a fan of spam or hotdogs really, but still looks goodie!

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

06-03-2020, 10:20 AMスウェグキング Wrote: Holy fuck that looks good. It doesnt SOUND good as i never been a fan of spam or hotdogs really, but still looks goodie!

wtf

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

06-03-2020, 10:20 AMスウェグキング Wrote: Holy fuck that looks good. It doesnt SOUND good as i never been a fan of spam or hotdogs really, but still looks goodie!

You could swap the stuff you don't like out really easily. Some places do nicer cuts of meat, bacon, real sausage, ground beef. It really is super versatile.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]