Create Account

Local hockey player drafted From the Arizona Republic newspaper

In a city that has seen hockey for 15 years now, Jen Phoenix, a local hockey player fresh off her 19th birthday, was drafted into the NWJHL today by the Kelowna Knights. Being billed as the "Hottest Player In Hockey" because her surname is representative of a fiery bird, because she is from the hot city of Phoenix, because of her prolific scoring ability, and because of her beauty.

This young, talented player is set to take her fire to the cold climate of British Columbia. Miss Phoenix was chosen 28th overall, in the 5th round of the NWJHL draft by the Knights. She then signed a contract with them for her first season. In a post-draft interview, Jen had stated that she had grown more and more nervous as each name was called. The television interviewer asked how she would have felt being drafted by the Firebirds, given her last name is the same creature. She responded by saying, "It would have been an awesome jersey, but that's only because it would have my name on it. But they passed on me and I'm a Knight. That's where my allegiance lies. We can't look back and think 'what if' all the time. So everyone go out and buy a Kelowna Knights jersey, or if you already have one, get my name on it!"

A Coyotes fan since their move from Winnipeg at just 4 years old, Jen has grown up watching hockey and driving herself to play the way she does now. In a state that has seen a dramatic upswing in hockey fans, women's hockey is still virtually non-existent. Throughout her life, both at a young age and through high school, Miss Phoenix has been forced to play on boys' teams. The NWJHL is mostly a men's league, but the Knights drafted Phoenix and another female later in the same draft.

When asked about being drafted in the fifth round, Jen said she was actually surprised to go that high. Not because of her ability, but because of lack of scouting in the area. "Who would ever think they could look in the deserts of Arizona to find a future superstar hockey player?" she questioned.

The Arizona Republic will continue to follow Jen Phoenix through her career in a new section called "The Jen Phoenix Hot Wire." Be sure to check back regularly for updates on the Sun Valley's newest celebrity.

Damn she hot
U go gurl