Create Account

S54 SMJHL PT #5 - Highlight Reel

You've done a lot of cool new things this season - what's on your highlight reel?

Written option: Tell us about at least three things on your highlight reel from this season - they don't necessarily have to be things you did on the ice, though of course those are acceptable (150+ words).

Graphic option: Make a graphic of your #1 highlight moment from this season, whatever that may be. Must include a render of some kind (but if that's a Paint stick figure, that works) and be intelligible.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S54 SMJHL Rookies (S55 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

Deadline  Sunday June 28th @ 11:59pm Eastern

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Some pretty cool stuff has happened this season, the first being officially on the Vancouver Whalers! I was a DFA last season, but it’s pretty cool to officially be a Whaler. Moving to Vancouver has been an amazing experience and the other lads on our team make it all the better.

This season I also got my first goal against Anchorage even though we lost 2-5, and I got my second goal in our 5-2 St. Louis Scarecrow stomping. The fellow Whalers all do an amazing job of hyping us all up and boosting our overall morale, even if we aren’t doing the best (no shade to Miller and Hartmann you both are the best)

The best highlight, however, is getting to know my fellow teammates Desrouleaux, O’Donoghue, Izzy, Redacted, Gretsky, Snail, Coyote, Bud Light Lime, Shuffleboard, and all the other amazing whales. These lads really make things all the better and make sure we have a good time. Sound the trumpets! 

Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers
(162 words)

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Axel Foley is a defensemen who relies heavily on body position and stick work to defend the net. As such it's hard to find typical "highlight reel" plays that show his offensive prowess with a dangle or slick play. Regardless, there are highlights to be found for a rookie d-man, and here they are.

Garbage Man
I wanted to include all of Foley's goals as separate highlights, until I rewatched the games he scored in and it become abudantly clear he was a garbage man. Game 1 of the season, Reichardt takes the shot, Foley busts into the slot and collects the rebound to score. Ok. Game 35 (yes there was a 34 game goal drought, shut up), Wagner and Knight are working it in the corners, they play it to Dakari, goes off the shinpads of Poppinfresh, Foley busts into the slot and collects the deflection to score. Ok... Game number 42 is different though! Axel is on the powerplay and he recieves a pass from Ben Van Djik, and he let's one rip from the point. Does it go in? No, Name Redacted keeps it out, but Axel Foley busts into the slot and collects his own rebound to score! Yeah. Foley's first highlight of the year is scoring goals that can be matched to the phrase "They don't ask how, they ask how many."

#Fuck-ons
I don't know how to combine "Falcon's" and "Fuck" effecntively but that works I guess? Defensive game rating is a flawed stat. FHM calculates it and I don't know how it works, but I want to take it as gospel and use to to determine if I played well in a game or not. So in their first matchup, Foley gets a 62 DGR. Nothing to laugh at but nothing to brag about. They play again like 5 games later and OOOOH MAN! 94 DGR! I don't know what it means but it looks good! But this next one is even better. After another 10 games they play again and Axel gets a 69 DGR! Nice. NICE. Season highlight for sure. Next game, same thing, 75 DGR. I don't want to talk about the next game cause it's barely above average, but Foley was on for 3 goals for for a +/- of 3. That's pretty good. And uhh, another 53 DGR for Foley but this time it's accompanied by an assist en route to a loss. So, logically it makes sense that I'd have strong games against a struggling team, but after witnessing the sweep at the hands of the Falcons last year, consistently preforming well against them feels great. Especially since the sub-excellent defnesive showings are matched by offensive performances. Playing against Detroit is always a highlight for Foley.

Getting Drafted
It feels weird to put this last but it's really the most important thing to me. Not just getting drafted, but going to an organization like the Kraken. I joined them as a DFA to end last season and loved my time there immensely. Although I hate turning people down, deciding not to sign with Colorado and opting for the Kraken is a great decision in hindsight. Nothing against Colardo, but Carolina is so welcoming, fun, bustling, joyful--I can't say enough good things. However when the draft approached I got scared. In my mind I was a late second round pick, and seeing as Carolina was picking fourth, 13th and then forfeiting their next pick. I figured I was bound to go somewhere else, and dreaded having to leave the environment I was accustomed to. The thought of not being on a team with 7, Dwight, Fuzz, Bongo, Skuci, Ace, literally everyone in there, got me afraid. So when I saw that the Kraken were trading the top 4 pick I thought, ok, they move back and can reach on me with 13 or get a pick in the 2nd round to take me. Little did I know I was getting picked 10th overall in a move that genuinely shocked me. To hear my name called to join my dream team was, for lack of a better term, a dream. And it's lived up to all the hype I set up for it. And I'm glad to see my fellow draftees also take part in the locker room. Just being a Kraken is the highlight of my season.

Code:
756 words

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2020, 02:25 AM by Evoner.)

The previous champs Detroit Falcons vs the Vancouver Whalers on day 9. The score is 3-2. As a forward, I have been training slowly with the Whalers and learning tricks and gaining tips from my other teammates. The first quarter we were behind by 1 point and we were rallied up by our captain. We buckled down and decided to work harder in the second period, we get 2 goals and then the falcons get one as well and its tied 2-2. As the period comes to an end, a quick swipe from me on the outside and it goes to hit the upper left bar. It looks like a miss but it redirected into the net which surprised the arena and even me. What an amazing game to have played both teams did so well and it was an amazing game.

I have enjoyed my time in Colorado and have had a few cool moments here is 3:

1: Meeting the team and coaches. It was fun to get drafted and come to the facility for the first time. Getting to meet and interact with all the new faces was great. It is interesting seeing how different everyone is and I hope we can all build something great together.

2: Scoring my first goal was a lot of fun. I was a DFA last season but didn't manage to score in the handful of games I got into. Scoring my first real goal in the SMJHL is something I will always remember and I hope to score many more!

3: Our first team win. Getting that first win with a new group of guys is great. We all have put it so much work in the offseason and preseason and all of our lives to get here. For everything to come together for our first win was so special. I will always remember that group hug!

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

[Image: UlDfLF0.png]

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

Nicolae Antonescu's Three Highlight reels.

1. In his second career SMJHL game, Antonescu smiles broadly and gathers on the ice with his teammates as the final buzzer sounds. The St. Louis Scarecrows have just beaten the Detroit Falcons 5-0 in the second week of the season. It is Antonescu's first SMJHL win, as well as his first SMJHL shutout.

2. Last week, when Antonescu made a sprawling blocker save against Ryuuji Minamino late in overtime against the Newfoundland Berserkers. The Scarecrows and Berserkers were tied at 3-3 after regulation, and while Newfoundland was outshooting the Scarecrows, Antonescu was just holding things together. The top team in the SMJHL at the time, Newfoundland was excellent at applying pressure, and a good breakout pass by PBJ Souppan has sprung the skilled Japanese forward Minamino. With one defender on him, Minamino make a nifty deke and wired a shot towards the open right side, and Antonescu threw himself over to catch it with the blocker and deflect it away. The final overtime buzzer would sound shortly after that, and Antonescu and the Scarecrows would outlast the Berserkers in the shootout, coming away with 2 big points.

3. Getting drafted to the Scarecrows. Antonescu wasn't shocked to hear his name called by the St. Louis Franchise, as his agent, Jon Tellofsen, played for the team as well. All of the players Tellofsen has represented have been drafted by the Scarecrows, in fact, and Antonescu was no exception. Even with the uncertainty of being drafted, and by whom, Antonescu was most excited this year on draft day, when he heard that the Scarecrows were bringing him over to St. Louis for training camp that summer.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

1. Welcome to the D: Zakkira Diporov came from a small farm town in Russia. He was drafted by the Detroit Falcons and he arrived to the city with open arms by his team and coaching staff. In his first game in the SMJHL was not the greatest game, but a memorable one for Zakkira Diporov. He knew after one game in Detroit would be a great place for him to become the best player he can be. 

2. Zakkira’s first goal: The "SKREEE" heard after the 5th goal, is something Zakkira Diporov will never forget. In a huge 7-1 victory over the Maine Timbers, Zakkira played one of his best games as a Falcon, he had 3 shots total with 2 on goal with only being on the ice for 6 minutes total, but he believes he made a big impact for his team. 

3. Zakkira Favorite thing to do in the City: Zakkira biggest highlight off of the ice is when he goes to eat! This man loves to eat. He goes over to some players homes and just raids their pantry’s. He competed in a hotdog eating contest and ate 62 hotdogs. Later that week he competed again in a cheeseburger contest, the man ate 55 of them 2 pound burgers! He loves America!!!

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]

Shuffleboard cuts through the defense for his first SMJHL goal, scoring on the breakaway against Kelowna
[Image: O6mUCiV.png]

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]

Getting on the team
With Fleetway just learning about the league and how it works, he of course heavily desired to hop in from the start. However, due to the draft having already passed and the season being in mid go, Super Sonic didn't have a place to go to and was left waiting around for a short time, he made a few calls here and there, but not much happened. It wasn't until SS would call Kelowna and he'd end up getting signed to the team and becoming one of the backline defensemen. It's through this time that SS would end up meeting a lot of interesting characters on this new team and constantly learning new ways of how to become a greater player.

First Time on Ice
In Fleetway's first game, he did a decent job at keeping focus on the offense and open spaces in passing lanes, this would result in a game that would give him meh stats, but it's still a big deal due to how big it is for SS to play on a legitimate team after learning who he wants to be and what he wants to do in both his life and this league.

First Assist
In a 3-2 win against Anchorage, Super Sonic would gain his first assist in a game, marking the start of a career. It's usually in moments like these that are valued in the mind of the rookie at hand. While it's a simple feat, it's still something that he'll have as a memory stone in his thoughts looking back at the game.

1. The draft. The moment when I got selected at the draft is something I'll cherish for the rest of my life. There aren't many moments that define careers as much as the moment when a GM pronounces a name on the stage. I had no idea where I was going and was very surprised to go as early as I went. I must admit, the memories are a bit fuzzy as I was very nervous, but I will always remember the excitement.

2. Nov 3rd @ Portland. Our game vs the Outlaws. I got a goal (the OT winner) and two assists. It was the first time I was named the first star of the game. The game-winning goal on overtime was by far the most memorable thing this season, so far at least. I played a good game and had the pleasure to end it. It was the first time I got the feeling that I can really contribute to the team.

3. Dec 28th @ Portland. This one's a bit more recent. Although the season hasn't been what we hoped, there have been some glimpses of what we are capable of. One of them was the 9-2 win over Kraken. Everything just fell into place in that game. While it obviously wasn't the best effort from Carolina, it was a sign for us that we have plenty of offensive potential.

[Image: sulov.gif]

1. Coming into North America from Finland, and not being at the top of my draft class, I had no idea what to expect, where I was going to land, who I would end up playing for. So when my name got called in the 4th round, I was elated. My parents and family couldn't have been more proud of me. I made it to the SMJHL, but I was told from day one, the hardest part isn't getting there, it's staying there and making a name for yourself in the big leagues.

2. First game of my career down in the 'J, and I scored my first goal. What a trip that was. I was set up De Siren and Rasanen, and I just ripped one past the Outlaw's goalie. We ended up losing that game, but in the end, I was still giddy and could walk away from that game knowing I made a difference.

3. Team bonding with the boys. I quickly learned it was a tradition to do a demolition derby just outside Anchorage. Turg and I came out victorious, and we all proceeded to party and celebrate Armada style. I can't quite explain what that is though, can't let team secrets out. Let's just say it involves Molsons, Mooses, and Mudflats.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2020, 05:30 PM by overdoo.)

The Draft
I think it has to come first, if Carolina didn't pick me up, nothing that has gone on this season so far would have happened. Even though I hit it off with a few teams, and especially Carolina, I still thought I was a late second round to early third round type of pick. I had a bit of a hope and a prayer that they'd reach on me or maybe trade to grab a pick, and they did reach on me. Only dressing room I have been in, and I really don't see it being topped. Everyone in there treats each other like family, and I am happy to be a part of it.
First Assist(s)
The first goal is probably a highlight most will have in their responses, but I much prefer the game against Kelowna I got my first assist in. I ended up grabbing one of the assists on my defense partner's first goal, and I think that is, and will be, a slight glimpse of what is to come in the future from us. That same game, I got the primary assist while breaking into the zone, and passing to Grimstad for the game winning goal. I ended up getting the first star, in my first game. Real nice opening to my career. 
Shootout Winner
This one happened quite recently, it was against the Kelowna Knights (there seems to be a pattern..) and overall I had a pretty rough, maybe average game. Nothing special. Well, Wagner tied it with a few minutes left to go in the game, forced us to go to overtime. Nothing happened there. So we move to shootout, and we traded goals, and several misses for quite a while. Fast-forward to round 13, and Teddy Park for Kelowna missed. Big relief, we had another chance to win the game. And then I'm called up. It was pretty damn exciting to be able to tuck that in for the win, our locker room was pretty hyped after that one.

[Image: D7fSRVS.gif]

Best highlight reel moment came just 6 minutes and 23 seconds into my professional career.  Rikard Hammarberg got a takeaway in the offensive zone and got the puck across to me, leaving me with an open look at the net for my first goal in the SMJHL.

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/wiqZK8C.png[/img]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/6QlU4ci.png[/img]
[Image: vHNIXVO.png] [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Three Highlights

Number 1: Star player
After a game vs Detroit Falcons June 10th, Alex Oscarsson managed to get an assist in a 3-2 win. Post-game however, that would be enough for the judges to name him star player of the game. After at the time a very recently brought together 2nd line that would come to be known as 'The Alex Line', featuring Kyle "Alex" Sutton, Alexander Roach and Oscarsson himself, this game would prove that these players worked really well together on a nightly basis.

Number 2: Thunderdome
It didn't take long. After just a couple of weeks, the Maine LR was split in two parties, arguing ferociously about their side being correct. What the argument was about? Ketchup on pasta. This lead to a European coalition between CoA, sulovilen and myself about it being legit. The yanks in our LR however didn't take lightly on it, and attacked me personally through the thunderdome. It was great.

Number 3: 9-2
Their has been some great moments throughout the season, but I don't think anything can top the absurdity of the teams 9-2 win over Carolina Kraken. Oscarsson had two assists that game, but fellow rookie Adrik Baranov was the true standout performer. 4 points from the LD showing his immense talent, and the entire locker room embraced him after the game. One of the true highlights of the season.

256 words

[Image: K6ykz0o.png]
Theodor Larsson
TimberTimber
pridepride