Create Account

Looking back at a UDFA's SMJHL career

It’s been a long time since we have heard from Taylor Johansson but he has been working hard to help this Outlaw team get back into the playoffs and make some noise. After a disappointing sophomore campaign, another offseason playing for both the Swedish juniors and national team, and working hard to improve his craft he entered his third and final season for Anaheim. Taylor hopes to exit the same way he came in, as a SMJHL champion.

After entering his rookie season after the draft he was signed as an unrestricted free agent. This move turned out to be a fantastic decision on his part as he was a part of the Season 52 Outlaw championship. In his rookie season he compiled 2 G | 5 A | 7 P | 30 HIT | 2 Shots Blocked | 23 PIM. Not bad for playing between the fourth and third lines all season. In the playoffs he 2 G | 4 A | 6 P in 21 games. Apparently he showed enough promise in that one season that Toronto chose him in the second round, joining an already stacked prospect pool for the North Stars. Adding to his championship trophy case he earned a medal playing for both Swedish national teams.

In Taylor’s second season the Outlaws managed to capture the six seed in the playoffs. They beat the third seed Anchorage Armada before falling to the second seed Kelowna Knights. Johansson played on the second line all year but failed to put up second line numbers. His second season stats were 1 G | 20 A | 21 P | 33 HIT | 29 Shots Blocked | 16 PIM. Some extremely bad luck resulted in a 1.43% shooting percentage. Through 100 career regular season games Taylor has developed a reputation as someone who is unable to score but distributes the puck well. He is still learning how to play the team game after not playing organized hockey for most of his life. He finished in the top 25 in assists, and third on the team.  In the playoffs Taylor fared slightly better but still struggled on the ice, scoring 2 goals and 2 assists in 12 playoff games. Going into international play Taylor aimed to rework his game. He focused on building up strength and balance with emphasis on defense. After talking with the head brass in Anaheim they made the suggestion that he needed to work on the other areas of his game to become the best player he could be. Skipping a few runs for more time in the weight room and plyometric work to help with the aggressiveness and physicality of the league.

During the International tournament Taylor once against found himself playing for the Junior team as well as the national team. After finishing second in their group the Swedish Junior team, they went on to win a silver medal, falling to Canada in the final game. With his new training regiment, Taylor was able to amass 1 G | 7 A | 8 P in 12 group play games. 7 assists was good for the 4th most in group play. In the elimination and medal rounds Taylor had 4 assists and 0 goals in 3 games. Whatever changes he had made seemed to be working. He did not fare as well on the national stage as he was one of the younger players on the ice, but he still contributed when he could.

Now entering his third season there was only one thing on his mind, and that was to claim another championship. It was another slow start for Anaheim this season but nothing that they haven’t been through before. Last year they were notoriously slow to start the season before turning it on in the latter half. They have recently made a few moves to go all in on this pursuit of another championship. Taylor has picked up his play as of late as well and looking to have the best year of his career. Through 46 games Taylor has 5 goals and 25 assists for 30 points. In his first season he averaged 0.14 points per game which improved to 0.42 in year 2. So far the offseason changes have helped Taylor improve to 0.65 points per game. Not only have his points per game improved but he has scored more goals this season than the previous 2 combined! Taylor is currently tied for 6th in the league in assists, but more surprising is his defense this year. While his offense has picked up to a serviceable level, his defense has become some of the best around the league at the forward position. He doesn’t impose himself physically but Taylor has top notch stick checking abilities as well as positioning on the ice. He is the league leader in takeaways, and overall grade amongst all minor leaguers. This includes the highest defensive grade for a forward.

It seems that things are looking up for Anaheim as we head into the playoffs. What can you say about the moves the team has made as you get ready for post season play?

I think the Donini, the General Manager, always puts us in the best position to win. He recognized that we have a solid core and this is kind of our last hurrah as a group. We needed to shore up a couple of deficiencies and I think these new guys will come in and pay dividends immediately. The playoffs is kind of when we always turn it on though so I’m hoping we can turn that switch a little earlier to help with the seeding.

What can you say about the new training regimen and the effects it has had on your season?

I think it’s done wonders to my game. I may have lost a slight step but I feel more agile, more balanced. I’m not always taking the brunt of the punishment when I’m on the ice. I can take a little more wear and tear while I’m handling the puck and in the long run I should be able to get that speed back. My first two years I was so dedicated to working on my strengths that I wasn’t a well-rounded skater. Now I think I have a higher game IQ and it allows me to be in a better position, not only on the offensive end but on defense as well.

Have you received any call up information from the North Stars regarding your future?

They were nice enough to let me kind of mold my future on my own. After this season I’ll be moving up to the SHL to play. We have a good group of prospects and I want to be a part of that future. It may be rough the first couple of years but I think I’ll make strides fairly quickly.

How do you want your time in the SMJHL to be remembered?

As a winner. I’m hoping to join the list of guys that have won multiple championships in their short time in the Juniors. Personal accolades have never really been something I’ve looked for but I would say that I’ve definitely been over looked for most of my time here outside of Anaheim. The guys in the locker room know what I bring but league wide I don’t think many people know me. It is what it is. Never made an All Star Game and never will win an award because I don’t score a whole bunch, but my assist numbers put me near the top of the league. You look at my advanced offensive and defensive grade ratings and I’m the best player on the ice most nights. Not sure what those guys want but if you are looking for someone to run a line on the ice and be a guy to work on both ends I think my play ranks up there with anyone in this league. But it doesn’t faze me that some suits don’t give me votes. My teammates know what I do and bring to this team. I just hope at the end of the season I’ll have another cup to hoist.

What can you say about reuniting with your old teammate Ursin when you get called up?

Well we still talk all of the time. He talks about how he misses the California heat but we both come from cold weather countries so Toronto won’t feel too different from home. He’s already been helping my family and I look up some houses and we have gone and visited and watched a few of his games. He always pops into Outlaw group chats to talk and give us some advice.

Have you and Jack Kanoff talked about going up next year together?

Absolutely. We had a talk last offseason and he had asked me if I had given it any thought. We talked about setting a tone together and we work out in the offseason with one another. He has given me a lot of advice when it comes to positioning and my work on the defensive end. He got a championship last year so we both can say we have one, but I’m looking to get another this season before we go up to Toronto. I think we both proved that we are ready for the next level so it only made sense that we wanted to be rookies in the SHL at the same time.

We will be watching closely as the playoffs get closer.

Code:
1592 words? ish

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws