Create Account

Re: Making a Player

A couple of things I've noticed around player creation with the new sim.

- The player builder tool doesn't list anywhere on it about the caps for certain attributes dependent on position (I think shooting acc and shooting range). The only way to see it is to just max stuff until it stops.

- I hoped there would be an easy-to-read version of this somewhere, so I went to the rulebook. The rulebook still has the STHS update scale, so it was even less helpful.

I'm sure this is referenced somewhere, probably in an announcement, but new people aren't going to dig that (poop emoji) up.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

[Image: MvsXNqM.png]

You mean like this? Hover your mouse over the attribute name.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

we should update the rule book, but are you saying the update scale isnt easy to read? seems pretty cut and dry on the create a player interface https://simulationhockey.com/createaplayer.php

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

06-25-2020, 07:34 AMLeppish Wrote: [Image: MvsXNqM.png]

You mean like this? Hover your mouse over the attribute name.

If I'm the only person dumb enough to not hover over the attribute names trying to find that, so be it. I definitely hadn't seen that feature yet.

06-25-2020, 08:28 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: we should update the rule book, but are you saying the update scale isnt easy to read? seems pretty cut and dry on the create a player interface https://simulationhockey.com/createaplayer.php

Not the create-a-player, the build tool. Also not referring to the update scale, which is on the player builder, just the caps based on position.

https://simulationhockey.com/playerbuilder.php

I guess if it's on the "create a player" page (which I haven't touched yet, because I'm not creating a player ... yet), then that gets people familiar with it as they start, but I dunno how many rookies are even considering starting those attributes at 12, either. Don't see why it would hurt to just make sure the information is readily available at all resources.

Nikolai Evans

06-25-2020, 08:37 AMztevans Wrote:
06-25-2020, 08:28 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: we should update the rule book, but are you saying the update scale isnt easy to read? seems pretty cut and dry on the create a player interface https://simulationhockey.com/createaplayer.php

Not the create-a-player, the build tool.  Also not referring to the update scale, which is on the player builder, just the caps based on position.

I guess if it's on the "create a player" page (which I haven't touched yet, because I'm not creating a player ... yet), then that gets people familiar with it as they start, but I dunno how many rookies are even considering starting those attributes at 12, either.  Don't see why it would hurt to just make sure the information is readily available at all resources.

To quote-tweet myself, I now see even on the create a player page, it only lists "Max 12 for Forwards" on range, nothing about the d-man shooting accuracy cap. So yeah.

Nikolai Evans

06-25-2020, 08:38 AMztevans Wrote:
06-25-2020, 08:37 AMztevans Wrote: Not the create-a-player, the build tool.  Also not referring to the update scale, which is on the player builder, just the caps based on position.

I guess if it's on the "create a player" page (which I haven't touched yet, because I'm not creating a player ... yet), then that gets people familiar with it as they start, but I dunno how many rookies are even considering starting those attributes at 12, either.  Don't see why it would hurt to just make sure the information is readily available at all resources.

To quote-tweet myself, I now see even on the create a player page, it only lists "Max 12 for Forwards" on range, nothing about the d-man shooting accuracy cap.  So yeah.

That's because you selected a forward. If you select a defenseman above it will show "Max 12 for Defenders" on shooting accuracy.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2020, 09:12 AM by ztevans.)

06-25-2020, 09:06 AMSegi Wrote:
06-25-2020, 08:38 AMztevans Wrote: To quote-tweet myself, I now see even on the create a player page, it only lists "Max 12 for Forwards" on range, nothing about the d-man shooting accuracy cap.  So yeah.

That's because you selected a forward. If you select a defenseman above it will show "Max 12 for Defenders" on shooting accuracy.

Fair play. I had changed the "role" but not the position.

Again, wasn't even looking at create-a-player when I made this post, though. The biggest thing is the rule book. I guess the rest is accounted for, even if it's not in places I would think to look. After you make your player, you're probably never looking at the create-a-player form again until you want to recreate.

Nikolai Evans

One other thing if I can hijack Zach's thread- the create a player form also offers no ability to state details about where a player is from beyond the nation itself. Would be nice if we could write in a home town as well.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

06-25-2020, 09:10 AMztevans Wrote:
06-25-2020, 09:06 AMSegi Wrote: That's because you selected a forward. If you select a defenseman above it will show "Max 12 for Defenders" on shooting accuracy.

Fair play.  I had changed the "role" but not the position.

Again, wasn't even looking at create-a-player when I made this post, though.  The biggest thing is the rule book.  I guess the rest is accounted for, even if it's not in places I would think to look.  After you make your player, you're probably never looking at the create-a-player form again until you want to recreate.

You're not wrong. It probably could be indicated a bit better in the player builder tool. And yes, it does need to be added to the rule book.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]

06-25-2020, 09:12 AMAvakael Wrote: One other thing if I can hijack Zach's thread- the create a player form also offers no ability to state details about where a player is from beyond the nation itself. Would be nice if we could write in a home town as well.

There is. Right below the country drop down is a box where you can write in your home town.

06-25-2020, 09:12 AMAvakael Wrote: One other thing if I can hijack Zach's thread- the create a player form also offers no ability to state details about where a player is from beyond the nation itself. Would be nice if we could write in a home town as well.

It actually does for me?

Nikolai Evans

Huh. Why doesn't anyone use it? I had a weird idea of trying to gather details on all the US players by state and immediately discovered that loads of people just don't specify a location anymore.

06-25-2020, 10:10 AMAvakael Wrote: Huh. Why doesn't anyone use it? I had a weird idea of trying to gather details on all the US players by state and immediately discovered that loads of people just don't specify a location anymore.

I think because it’s optional, but that would be a really cool idea you had

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

06-25-2020, 10:10 AMluketd Wrote:
06-25-2020, 10:10 AMAvakael Wrote: Huh. Why doesn't anyone use it? I had a weird idea of trying to gather details on all the US players by state and immediately discovered that loads of people just don't specify a location anymore.

I think because it’s optional, but that would be a really cool idea you had

Not worth the effort if I have to go through PTs and media to try and I.D. the states of every other player.

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2020, 10:33 AM by ztevans.)

06-25-2020, 10:14 AMAvakael Wrote:
06-25-2020, 10:10 AMluketd Wrote: I think because it’s optional, but that would be a really cool idea you had

Not worth the effort if I have to go through PTs and media to try and I.D. the states of every other player.

This is now a suggestion box thread to make any player who doesn't list a hometown from a designated city within that country, preferably the most absurd option possible.

For the US, my nomination goes to Imalone, Wisconsin, since most of us are only here because we don't have friends.

Nikolai Evans